PDA

View Full Version : UK plc to shut down ( for a while )

Krystal n chips
23rd Feb 2018, 06:08
For anybody thinking of visiting over the next few weeks, please be aware that UK plc will be shutting down for a while.

There are numerous links providing forecasts of doom and despair across the whole of the UK, but, crucially, it gets much, much worse.

We are about to experience a bit of cold, and some snow, and the British don't really cope very well. Well we do in parts that are used to these conditions, but, here's the real concern.

Snow and low temperatures are forecast to affect London and the South East !....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/23/uk-faces-significant-snowfall-due-to-freezing-air-from-siberia

This always escalates into a national emergency, other parts getting a passing or fleeting mention when so affected, thus we can expect a series of "fearless reporting " to grace our screens (a certain Beeb reporter in 2013 ostensibly in the steppes of Kent, complete with suitably impressive anorak, but with, erm, an open neck shirt and the lights of civilisation clearly visible along with a very close proximity to a train station sort of negated the drama of the report ) and not forgetting 4x4 drivers wondering what that little lever or button does in such conditions.

We can only hope our utility and energy providers will be able to cope with such adversity.

However, as the source of these conditions will be Russia, then clearly for the JB conspiracy theorists, it will be evident the Russians, supporting Corbyn, will now be controlling the weather patterns so Labour have the perfect excuse to renationalise the utilities !.

One is wondering if one will be getting an extra 25 from the Gov't however....every little helps after all.

handsfree
23rd Feb 2018, 06:34
We can only hope our utility and energy providers will be able to cope with such adversity.
Better keep our fingers crossed that the wind keeps blowing then as
another coal fired station is due to close thanks to the skewed bidding
process. Eggborough power station will shut it's doors in September with
the loss of 170 jobs and 2000 MW wiped from the grid, enough to power
2 million homes.

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Feb 2018, 12:22
For anybody thinking of visiting over the next few weeks, please be aware that UK plc will be shutting down for a while.
I was thinking of leaving tomorrow actually - should all be sorted by the time I get back.

sitigeltfel
23rd Feb 2018, 12:30
I will be in London next weekend for a wedding, my first visit to the UK since 2011.

I see the forecast there will be between 0c and 7c while here it will be -3c to 5c.

Going North for warmer weather!

oldpax
23rd Feb 2018, 12:37
Rugeley B power stn which closed in 2016 (1000MW)will commence demolition in June.

charliegolf
23rd Feb 2018, 12:43
I was thinking of leaving tomorrow actually - should all be sorted by the time I get back.

I AM leaving tomorrow, so please ensure it's sorted by the 3rd please Gertie!:ok:

CG (Jean-Claude Golfy)

Krystal n chips
23rd Feb 2018, 13:01

Ever the eternal optimist then GTW....

Surely you are aware given the distinct lack of, erm, high ground between Siberia / the Urals ( or anywhere in the general direction ) Cambridge will in the firing line and snowed in for weeks to come.

Are you really going to forego the opportunity to skate serenely on a frozen Cam...you could even possibly make Ely.....when nature presents this opportunity ?

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Feb 2018, 14:17
Surely you are aware given the distinct lack of, erm, high ground between Siberia / the Urals ( or anywhere in the general direction ) Cambridge will in the firing line and snowed in for weeks to come.
Yes possibly. But at least I get to miss one week of it.

ShotOne
23rd Feb 2018, 16:53
Actually outside the public sector youll find nothing much shut down at all; last time 3,000 schools closed. Number of shops and other businesses closed..er, none.

RedhillPhil
23rd Feb 2018, 16:57
..........and there's not a chicken to be had anywhere.

Krystal n chips
23rd Feb 2018, 17:09
Actually outside the public sector you’ll find nothing much shut down at all; last time 3,000 schools closed. Number of shops and other businesses closed..er, none.

Jolly good ! that's the Bulldog spirit ( and a plug for the magnificent private sector to boot ) that forges forth in such impeding challenging times.

However, maybe there was a reason for the school closures ?...in fact, there may be several valid reasons. Have a think, see what you can come up here. You missed out the trains however, but, as they are funded by the taxpayer anyway, an easy error to make.

Personally, my biggest concern is the world's most adorable dog ( dog perspective ) who has decidedly masochistic tendencies when it comes to playing in the snow. And besides, here in Derbyshire, the temperatures will just be viewed as the usual sub-tropical values for this time of year.

It's the poor souls in the South of our nation who warrant concern.

Mr Mac
23rd Feb 2018, 17:53
Krystal n Chips
Bit further north than you in Yorkshire, and quite high up, and temp at 2c all day today. As you say when snow threatens SE the world is coming to an end. 3 years ago in late snow we dug out with a JCB as drifts 3m + which I know from spending time in US and Germany is no great shakes, but it did cause some issues here. I could not get out so worked from home for a day. Local school shut for 2 weeks. Crazy thing was even though we dug out roads, they were not "officially" cleared by the council, so they would not come and grit and plough them to keep them cleared ! I am sure the army is on stand by in the SE as I type for any eventuality down there.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Feb 2018, 18:15
However, maybe there was a reason for the school closures ?
The one given locally is that none of the teachers can afford houses in Cambridge, so they all drive long distances to get to work, and when there's a bit of snow the traffic gets snarled up, and the teachers aren't prepared to get out of bed earlier when snow is forecast, so they arrive at school late, which means that first thing in the morning there aren't enough adults in the school to keep the children safe.

That doesn't explain why schools close in places where teachers can afford to live nearby, though.

charliegolf
23rd Feb 2018, 18:29
Actually outside the public sector you’ll find nothing much shut down at all; last time 3,000 schools closed. Number of shops and other businesses closed..er, none.

We....ll. The deal varies. In Swansea, only the Head could close the school- it was a delegated responsibility. Other LAs direct schools to close, so dunno about them. In 20 years as Head, I shut Golf Primary School once. When doing the thinking exercise about when to close, I worked out (and promulgated) that I needed key holding, catering and staff to open- not buses, not clear roads, not parents, not pupils. On that day, we just couldn't get in, it was crackers.

CG

goudie
23rd Feb 2018, 18:39
Buggah! After spending three weeks in Hawaii with my daughter, I'm due back next Wednesday. I was looking forward to some spring weather on arrival, daffodils and green buds. The old suntan is going to look out of place when I go shopping in Sainsburys.

Chronus
23rd Feb 2018, 19:33
Looking at the synoptic chart 120 hr forecast, cannot see any chance for snow.

Aviation Weather › Europe › AVWX.info › metar taf sigmet notam winds aloft significant weather information (http://avwx.info/)

ricardian
23rd Feb 2018, 21:51
Up here at 59 degrees north our island rarely gets any significant snow because of the close proximity of the sea (thank you Gulf Stream). I've only ever had to clear my car's windscreen 2 or 3 times in the 14 years we've lived up here. However, we do occasionally get Force 12 winds which loosen the odd slate

ShyTorque
23rd Feb 2018, 21:52
And besides, here in Derbyshire, the temperatures will just be viewed as the usual sub-tropical values for this time of year.

That's because they don't go outside - they're all in the pubs.

SARF
23rd Feb 2018, 23:21
Im fairly sure the only time I couldn’t get into London was the big storm thing in the late 80,s.. never been stopped by snow on the train. Though I did have the option of two different lines..

Otherwise yes. Bang on, the south east will crumble into chaos. Well it won’t but enough people will whine enough to make it seem so...
Schools will probably shut on Monday just in case it might snow on Thursday

dook
24th Feb 2018, 15:58
That's because they don't go outside - they're all in the pubs.

So how do they get to the pubs ?

EGLD
24th Feb 2018, 17:18
Jolly good ! that's the Bulldog spirit ( and a plug for the magnificent private sector to boot ) that forges forth in such impeding challenging times.

However, maybe there was a reason for the school closures ?...in fact, there may be several valid reasons. Have a think, see what you can come up here. You missed out the trains however, but, as they are funded by the taxpayer anyway, an easy error to make.

Personally, my biggest concern is the world's most adorable dog ( dog perspective ) who has decidedly masochistic tendencies when it comes to playing in the snow. And besides, here in Derbyshire, the temperatures will just be viewed as the usual sub-tropical values for this time of year.

It's the poor souls in the South of our nation who warrant concern.

So we can add Southerners to the list of people you irrationally generalize about and despise :rolleyes:

As Shotone says, it's your beloved public sector that grinds to a halt during snow events, so stand by your initial snidey assessment of our ability to handle snow and direct it accordingly :ok:

I don't recall any place of work near me shutting during snow events

DType
24th Feb 2018, 17:29
Last time we had a decent dump of snow, the wee schoolgirl delivered our newspaper on schedule every day, but all Royal Mail deliveries were postponed for some THREE weeks.
My MP is apparently still looking into the reason for the postponement.

Krystal n chips
25th Feb 2018, 08:34
So we can add Southerners to the list of people you irrationally generalize about and despise :rolleyes:

As Shotone says, it's your beloved public sector that grinds to a halt during snow events, so stand by your initial snidey assessment of our ability to handle snow and direct it accordingly :ok:

I don't recall any place of work near me shutting during snow events

I wasn't aware there were any places of work near Denham.....I always thought it was the residential area of choice for the retired, a motely collection of luvvies / footballers. financial sector spivs and other similar unemployable persons.

Spent a happy 20 mins or so yesterday engaged in conversation with "people from a foreign European country " who were quite bemused as to the forthcoming " Arctic / Siberian Hell blast to kill millions of Brits !! " ( Excess headline impression in case you were wondering ) given from whence they came such weather was just another fact of life.

I was asked why it was the British became so alarmed and thought these conditions were akin to the next ice age.

I duly explained why and they were suitably amused thanking me for being a nice man ( which I am, it's only those of a certain disposition whose delicate sensibilities I seem to upset ) and the conversation.

You will be mortified to learn however, I will be evacuating Derbyshire for the tropical safety of Stafford on Monday, but back Wed or Thurs ( if the private sector trains and buses are running that is ) and will not have any access to a computer ! ...I know, how primitive, but that's life after all.

I do though, look forward to the Home Counties, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Hampshire, and not forgetting London, all joining Malta in being awarded the GC for their defiance of the soon to arrive " Arctic Hell ! ".

I won't include Essex because for most of the population any mention of snow makes their eyes glaze in anticipation and an abundance forecast to fall from the sky would only lead to confusion as their hopes would be severely dashed.

I would stock up on Kendal Mint cake if I were you before the shelves are stripped bare.

Then at least you will be able to chill out as they say.... with nourishment readily to hand.

gemma10
25th Feb 2018, 09:13
Gloat all you like, we are a hardy lot down here in east sussex, the E, N/E wind is blowing a hooley with rattling tiles during the night. Personally don`t think we will get any snow, possibly only a light flurry that will end up being dumped on dartmoor.

Krystal n chips
25th Feb 2018, 09:19
Gloat all you like, we are a hardy lot down here in east sussex, the E, N/E wind is blowing a hooley with rattling tiles during the night. Personally don`t think we will get any snow, possibly only a light flurry that will end up being dumped on dartmoor.

Oh, please, I mocketh not !

However, for those in the South, feel free to learn the helpfully attached lyrics so you can keep your spirits up by singing them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_dO91hQhkU

Hokulea
25th Feb 2018, 09:33
Buggah! After spending three weeks in Hawaii with my daughter, I'm due back next Wednesday. I was looking forward to some spring weather on arrival, daffodils and green buds. The old suntan is going to look out of place when I go shopping in Sainsburys.
Not sure exactly when you were in Hawaii, but the weather here has been crap the last few weeks. A few days of sun, sure, but not a lot more.

I'm travelling back to the UK in a couple of weeks, namely London, Cambridge and Edinburgh, but am not too concerned about the UK shutting down. Just to be on the safe side though, I'll make sure to bring my emergency kit with me as long as I can get it through security. You know, the things that contains all you need in the case of a hurricane, tsunami, earthquake, volcanic eruption etc. I think I'll get by. I just hope the pubs won't shut down - it's always a pleasure to visit a good pub whenever I get back to the UK. Anyone with suggestions for Cambridge? Edinburgh and London is sorted.

WilliumMate
25th Feb 2018, 10:05
Regarding London I am often loath to recommend this pub as I don't want it to get too well known. The beer is excellent, the surroundings excellent and it takes a bit of finding. The brewery only has two pubs this one and one in Suffolk. The Ruby Red is a fine beer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=st+peter%27s+brewery+pubs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=n4iSWp_OD-aLtge5pbnoDw&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=51968995,664784,72390&tbm=lcl&rldimm=10147280404359435678&ved=0ahUKEwi2yM_p5sDZAhUBZFAKHQ-yBeAQvS4ISjAA&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9#gfe_rd=cr&rlfi=hd:;si:10147280404359435678;mv:!1m3!1d486699.508156932! 2d0.5178625!3d51.968995549999995!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i374!2 i297!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9

Keep it to yourself.

:suspect:

hiflymk3
25th Feb 2018, 10:17
Long Johns washed and ironed, I'm ready.

Hokulea
25th Feb 2018, 10:24
WM, thanks, I'll keep that to myself, although I have London covered. I will try that place another time though, it looks great! Cambridge is new to me though, haven't been there for well over twenty years, but if the UK is shut down I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference. Anyway, the plan is to stay at the Hilton in the city center and will have some US dignitaries with me, so anything decent within easy wobbling distance will be of interest!

sitigeltfel
25th Feb 2018, 10:26
Regarding London I am often loath to recommend this pub as I don't want it to get too well known.

Keep it to yourself.

:suspect:

I often hear people say "we've found this great place but don't want to spoil it by telling everyone about it".

I'm sure the owners, who have worked hard to make it great, want you to keep it a secret. :ugh:

Hokulea
25th Feb 2018, 10:31
I often hear people say "we've found this great place but don't want to spoil it by telling everyone about it".

I'm sure the owners, who have worked hard to make it great, want you to keep it a secret. :ugh:

Yes, I couldn't work out what place he was talking about until, uhm, clicking on his link. The secret's out now.

WilliumMate
25th Feb 2018, 10:35
I was speaking a bit tongue in cheek. That pub does not have to advertise or worry about being quiet. Word of mouth, obtuse or otherwise, keeps it busy.

:)

Hokulea
25th Feb 2018, 10:56
No worries, The Jerusalem Tavern in London will never pass my lips.

larssnowpharter
25th Feb 2018, 11:34
My favourite pub in London was the Queen's Elm in Fulham Road alas long closed.
It was run by the incomparable Sean Treacy ex avaitor (Berlin Airlift), author and pipe collector.

G-CPTN
25th Feb 2018, 11:37
Cambridge pubs have changed so much since the 1960s that I cannot recommend what is current - one of my favourites lost its outrageous landlord in 1990 (RIP Squire Kim Joseph Hollick de la Taste Tickell) and no longer has that je ne sais quoi that made it worth a visit.

We really need Gertrude the Wombat to comment.

Edited to add:-
The Eagle in Benet Street (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle,_Cambridge) (16th Century coaching inn) is probably the closest 'pub' to the Hilton - I was last there in July 2017 (the baked Camembert cheese was good). It was where Watson and Crick announced their DNA findings in 1953.
Their Greene King beer is better than most IMO.

Further Edited:-
There is another pub in Benet Street - now called the Bath House.
This was our headquarters in the 1960s, however the online reviews are very poor - best avoided IMO.

hiflymk3
25th Feb 2018, 12:28
WM, thanks, I'll keep that to myself, although I have London covered. I will try that place another time though, it looks great! Cambridge is new to me though, haven't been there for well over twenty years, but if the UK is shut down I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference. Anyway, the plan is to stay at the Hilton in the city center and will have some US dignitaries with me, so anything decent within easy wobbling distance will be of interest!

Then for a bit of culture in Cambridge visit Kettles Yard, an art gallery with a difference. You'll find a Brancusi sculpture on the piano, a Gaudier Brzeska on a window sill, a Ben Nicholson in the loo. A once private house with a collection of some of the finest 20th century art.

ShyTorque
25th Feb 2018, 13:46
So how do they get to the pubs ?

In general, they trek through the freezing rain and swirling mist across the moors and swamps, bare chested and carrying huge sacks of coal or potatoes, just to make it more difficult.

K&C probably gets his chauffeur to take him..... ;)

Krystal n chips
26th Feb 2018, 08:18
In general, they trek through the freezing rain and swirling mist across the moors and swamps, bare chested and carrying huge sacks of coal or potatoes, just to make it more difficult.

K&C probably gets his chauffeur to take him..... ;)

You forgot to include a sheep, dead or alive, in the above list.;)

But, I will be summoning my chauffeur with an imperious wave of the hand.....Yourbus generally stop....Arriva it's the luck of the draw.

However, the infamous "Now" caption on the Met Hoffices web site strikes again.

Currently showing a pretty grey cloud, the somewhat copious little white flakes covering my drovers track and hovel garden are, at the time of writing, clearly a hallucination on my part.

Hokulea
26th Feb 2018, 09:29
G-CPTN - certainly have my eye on the Eagle, as you say it's nearby and my colleagues are all scientific types, so this might be a good option. Hiflymk3 - I appreciate your suggestions, but it's a working trip and we'll be busy during the day, so probably not realistic options. However, I'll remember those places if I get back there with a little more time to spare.

Tankertrashnav
26th Feb 2018, 10:30
Re the North - South divide. Daughter has just arrived from Nottingham (well I know it's not really North, but neither is Cheshire, K & C!) . Anyway, she is moaning that it is much colder down here in Cornwall than at home. In temperature terms it probably isn't, but the Easterly referred to by gemma10 is reaching gale force at times and making any time spent outside a misery.

Meanwhile I see that rail companies in East Anglia have already cancelled trains before the snow arrives. No doubt their drivers will still be drawing their 60k salaries while they have a few days off in the warm!

This is how the railways used to cope with snow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugIoMD495E
Hard men in those days - caps overcoats and no gloves in many cases!

SnowFella
26th Feb 2018, 11:22
Always cute to see how the not so used to snow handles a sprinkle, from a former Swede's perspective, and on a flip side also a crackup to see how my former country "men" handle a touch of heat.
Few inches of snow....suck it up and get on with things! 35 odd degrees and you call it a heatwave, oh give me a break sissy!
:mad:

pax britanica
26th Feb 2018, 11:56
Krystal

You seem a bit out of date with your international intrigue remarks
The Kremlin of today isn't interested in supporting Corbyn , they want a more Trump esque figure like Boris or the living dead Rees-Mogg as their place men these days.

Going back to the weather it is an issue in the South East because it seldom occurs butt hats not always an excuse for the shambles that follows snow. What annoys me is the ludicrous exaggeration in the media of Britain colder than North Pole , Moscow , Santa Claus land when quite clearly it isnt even a cold as all the places that lie between us and Siberia where the weather is coming from.

I also think lack of practice means we do not forecast snow very well, On the Surrey Hants border today we had a weather warning and concerns of small accumulations this morning. well they got the small right we must have had snow that was all of two flakes deep

Carry0nLuggage
26th Feb 2018, 12:45
Ms Luggage visits Sweden often on business. Apparently the southern Swedes tend to go wibble at the sight of snow on the road too, so not just a UK thing.

When I read on the weather pages of the BBC website of an amber warning of snow I was just waiting for a forecaster to get the word order wrong in a hurry to get the report in the short time:E allotted.

G-CPTN
26th Feb 2018, 14:46
G-CPTN - certainly have my eye on the Eagle, as you say it's nearby and my colleagues are all scientific types, so this might be a good option.

I don't know how long you will be spending in Cambridge, but if, having exhausted the Eagle, and you fancy a change, I would suggest a walk northwards towards the river, along Sydney Street and then Bridge Street where you will see the Mitre (https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/eastofengland/themitrecambridge) (a traditional undergraduates' pub), the Baron of Beef and, a little further, just over the bridge, on Magdalene Street you will find the Pickerel (https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/cambridgeshire/pickerel-inn) - one of Cambridge's oldest pubs.
Depending on the time of day, you could encounter some of the genuine student community.
The Pickerel (and the Baron of Beef) are Greene King pubs and also serve a range of food from snacks (including the baked camembert cheese) to steaks or fish and chips - the prices in the Pickerel are higher (to suit the environment of the oldest pub next to Cambridge's 'higher class' college).

You could equally walk from the Hilton along Benet Street beyond the Eagle and then along Kings Parade past Kings College Chapel (a must-see for visitors) then continue along Trinity Street and St John's Street to reach Bridge Street as above (or vice versa to return to the hotel).

Google suggest 12 or 13 minutes for the walk between the Hilton and the Pickerel, but it depends if you spend time in the Mitre.

ShyTorque
26th Feb 2018, 16:05
Hard men in those days - caps overcoats and no gloves in many cases!

Yes, but in the olden days they didn't have the wrong kind of snow.

Just an other number
26th Feb 2018, 17:47
Quote from Independent:

"Snow has already caused disruption across the UK as a wintry blast dubbed "the Beast from the East" brings freezing temperatures."

Yes but who has done this 'dubbing'?

Ancient Observer
26th Feb 2018, 17:52
The one flake that fell on LHR has caused chaos as usual. Given that BA run their own de-icing, and do not have anywhere near enough capacity, they have cancelled lots of short haul flights.
And I thought "snow-flakes" were the young generation.

(Oops, sorry, Aviation content)

CloudHound
26th Feb 2018, 18:15
Saw what you did then. Nice one.

Chronus
26th Feb 2018, 19:19
Since the Great Fish Fiasco, the weather boys and girls have developed a strategy of "it will be much worse on the day". Friday will be another non -event, and they will announce, it diverted South and missed us, showing pictures of the Spanish and the French at work with their shovels and spades. In the meantime much to the delight of our supermarket bosses, we would have emptied all their stores shelves into our freezers and fridges and a week later our collection men would be cursing us for their strained muscles.

Hokulea
27th Feb 2018, 06:35
Thanks, G-CPTN, really appreciate your help. Unfortunately, we'll only be there for two nights (1.5 days) so don't think we'll have time to explore too much in the evening, but I'll certainly keep your suggestions in mind. We're working with a group at the university, so this may not be the only trip!

ORAC
27th Feb 2018, 07:34
https://images.8tracks.com/cover/i/001/080/792/1048.original-2817.jpg?rect=112,0,676,676&q=98&fm=jpg&fit=max&w=640&h=640

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/image/methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbe416a92-1b3a-11e8-9010-1eef6ba5d3de.jpg?crop=2231%2C3346%2C0%2C0&resize=640

ORAC
27th Feb 2018, 07:53
About them Scandihooligans being so good in the snow.....

SWEDEN — PM’S CAR CRASHES IN SNOWFALL: Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lfven’s car careened off the E4 autoroute (https://www.thelocal.se/20180226/swedish-prime-minister-unhurt-in-snowstorm-car-crash?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) north of Stockholm and into a guardrail during a blizzard Monday. No one was injured, officials said.

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2018, 08:16
Thanks, G-CPTN, really appreciate your help. Unfortunately, we'll only be there for two nights (1.5 days) so don't think we'll have time to explore too much in the evening.

Glad to have been of help.
Stick to the Eagle (with a short walk along to King's Parade to see the 'upturned sow' - King's College Chapel) and save the Pickerel for next time.

Enjoy your short stay in Cambridge - it truly is a delightful place.

With the current weather in England, I am reminded of the 1962/3 winter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962–63_in_the_United_Kingdom) (it was very cold) when the River Cam froze solid:-https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.13338736.7158/flat,800x800,070,f.jpg and someone drove an Austin Seven along it. No significant snow, but the gas froze in the pipes and my only source of heating (the gas fire) didn't work.
I slept in my clothes with my sheepskin coat on!

ATNotts
27th Feb 2018, 08:24
What an enormous cock up!

Forecasters, both Meteogroup and the UK Met Office got the areas for snow pretty wrong, I live in what was am "amber warning" area for today, as it was forecast yesterday, and I could go out of my front door and count the individual flakes that have fallen, no chance to measure the depth. This morning the "amber warning" has miraculously disappeared without trace!

Meanwhile the railways have cancelled trains and BBC broadcasters are stood on stations which have little more than a dusting of snow, reporting as though we've just been hit by a metre of the stuff, and others reporting there have been accidents on the roads - well I've news for them, there are accidents on the roads every rush hour, even when it's not precipitating!

How much have the forecasting errors cost the UK economy, how many people will fail to get to their jobs, and how much of our great (?) capital will be functioning below par? Ditto the rail companies who appear to have cancelled services to save themselves from paying compensation for late arriving trains.

It will be interesting to see how the "blizzards" and "disruptive snow" that they are egging up for the end of the week pan out. They need to have got it right next time.

As for KnC's opening posting - well he was a darn sight more accurate than the "experts" and the media......so far.

Hokulea
27th Feb 2018, 09:00
With the current weather in England, I am reminded of the 1962/3 winter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962–63_in_the_United_Kingdom) (it was very cold) when the River Cam froze solid:- and someone drove an Austin Seven along it. No significant snow, but the gas froze in the pipes and my only source of heating (the gas fire) didn't work. I slept in my clothes with my sheepskin coat on!
That reminds me of the winter of 86/87 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_1987_Southeast_England_snowfall)! I was living in Preston as a student, and after struggling to get back after the Christmas break as the whole rail network had shut down, I was back in the student house we were renting. The heating was electric, but the meter, one of those old-fashioned ones where you had to put 50 pence in the slot every so often, had frozen solid while we were away. We had to spend a couple of days thawing it out gently, and in the meantime, we spent the days sitting in the living room in our sleeping bags covered in blankets. It was also the first time I had experienced ice forming on the inside of the windows.

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2018, 09:06
It was also the first time I had experienced ice forming on the inside of the windows.

Pah! Life in the 1940s before central heating . . .

ShyTorque
27th Feb 2018, 09:12
Pah! Life in the 1940s before central heating . . .

The same thirty years later in my parents' house. My brother and I slept on bunks in the boxroom and we used to put our overcoats over our bedclothes. He was younger than me so he used to get priority on the stone hot water bottle... Ice on the inside of the window pane and on the sill was the normal thing.

Pinky the pilot
27th Feb 2018, 09:22
Just received an e-mail from a Mate (ex Pom) who is visiting relatives 'back 'ome!':D

"......cold here??? Struth! It's so bloody cold here that I just saw a couple of Lawyers walking down the footpath towards their Chambers and they actually had their hands in their own pockets!!!:eek::eek::E:D"

Tankertrashnav
27th Feb 2018, 10:25
G-CPTN obviously remembers them, but it just occurs to me that probably very few people under the age of 65 in the UK will have seen the beautiful patterns of ice crystals on their window panes when they woke up in the morning (Shy Torque excepted!). Still remember the feeling of comfort when my father used to come in and put his heavy dressing gown over my blankets before he left early for work on a freezing morning.

"......cold here??? Struth! It's so bloody cold here that I just saw a couple of Lawyers walking down the footpath towards their Chambers and they actually had their hands in their own pockets!!!"

If he goes up to Islington he'll see a lot of socialists doing the same.

Super VC-10
27th Feb 2018, 10:59
Song about how Brits can't hande snow.
(https://www.facebook.com/southendnewsnetwork/videos/1237675542978583/?hc_ref=ARQwuHZ8jy0MpjMsaPCa86Zs8nFGrWG6G488C8FELyBoah-rTpD6qfC99LrsT-vv0Mk)
https://www.facebook.com/southendnewsnetwork/videos/1237675542978583/?hc_ref=ARQwuHZ8jy0MpjMsaPCa86Zs8nFGrWG6G488C8FELyBoah-rTpD6qfC99LrsT-vv0Mk

ORAC
27th Feb 2018, 11:13
Currently coming down in bucketloads in Brighton on the seafront.

hiflymk3
27th Feb 2018, 11:27
Currently coming down in bucketloads in Brighton on the seafront.

Same here in Hastings, call me a wimp but I'm staying in today.

sitigeltfel
27th Feb 2018, 11:58
BBC weatherman has just spoken of "carnage" in Kent.

Bring out yer dead!

:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
27th Feb 2018, 12:28
I've just been out and had my hair cut short, seeing as Spring is in the air. The "Beast of the East" seems to have become Least. Amber Warning? Was that IT?

Mr Mac
27th Feb 2018, 12:59
Well supposed to be under Amber warning, and we have had wait for it, drum role required, 50mm of lying snow !!. It is cold at about -2c but nothing to worry about, and drove out onto very quiet roads. Do not know what this has cost UK PLC in lost time, but we need to man up a bit I would suggest, as this has been an over hipped big none event.

Hokulea
I was at Preston in early 80,s and we had the same conditions in our student house in Bamber Bridge, in fact the tooth paste also seemed to freeze from memory. Also had the old 50p meter as well. Seems an awfully longtime ago.

Regards
Mr Mac

Allan Lupton
27th Feb 2018, 13:02
The "Beast of the East" seems to have become Least. Amber Warning? Was that IT?

I wonder how the panic merchants that gave us the expression "The Beast from the East" would have coped with the winters we had in 1947 or 1962-3.
It's winter and in England we have cold weather with occasional snow in winter. Time for the doom-mongers to grow up, I'd say.

ATNotts
27th Feb 2018, 13:29
I wonder how the panic merchants that gave us the expression "The Beast from the East" would have coped with the winters we had in 1947 or 1962-3.
It's winter and in England we have cold weather with occasional snow in winter. Time for the doom-mongers to grow up, I'd say.

Indeed, it's media hysteria stoked by the met office and forecasters merrily jumping on the hysterical bandwagon.

I can't remember 1947, and was a child in Liverpool during '62/63, and whilst Merseyside rarely gets the worst of the weather I can't remember not going to school because of the weather; one thing that stuck in my mind was how the lying snow quickly got covered by smuts from coal fires!

In normal winters we would surely expect to have a couple of weather set-ups like this one, with a strong high pressure area anchored over Scandinavia, and low pressure to the south creating a stiff easterly wind - the lazy one that goes through you, not around you!! Why this comparatively short-lived cold spell is creating such consternation is difficult to understand. I suspect it's the result of too much 24 hour media, too many inferior journalists and a surfeit of risk assessments and "safeguarding"

ShyTorque
27th Feb 2018, 14:35
As recently as the winter of 2010, 18 inches of snow fell here in 8 hours, far more than anywhere in England. It wasn't mentioned in the media, in fact Jeremy Vine wasn't even told about it.

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2018, 14:38
We had 10 inches of snow at 'river level' in 2010 with more in the surrounding hills.

treadigraph
27th Feb 2018, 15:04
Had several heavy snow showers in Croydon; lighter ones from here on in. Hopefully won't prevent me from meeting up with my old boss for a drink in an hour - or from getting home later!

Load of us will be redundant tomorrow (bastard f:mad:ing Carillion board, f:mad:s) and we are going on a pub crawl in the afternoon whatever the bloody weather does! Well, OK, we may just stay in one pub...

PS, glorious sunshine now!

TWT
27th Feb 2018, 15:17
:ooh: That's no good treadigraph ! Redundancy is a sh1te sandwich. Especially when there's little warning. Enjoy your pub crawl !

Hussar 54
27th Feb 2018, 15:25
We've been here almost 25 years and never had as much snow as we had yesterday afternoon and evening.

Not a lot, of course, by Northern Europe standards, but enough to cause chaos on the roads because we don't have any snow ploughs and gritting vehicles so most of the problem is the roads are blocked more by abandoned cars than the actual snow and ice.

Oh....And it's cold....Bloody cold.

4mastacker
27th Feb 2018, 15:27
Indeed, it's media hysteria stoked by the met office and forecasters merrily jumping on the hysterical bandwagon.

I can't remember 1947, and was a child in Liverpool during '62/63, and whilst Merseyside rarely gets the worst of the weather I can't remember not going to school because of the weather; one thing that stuck in my mind was how the lying snow quickly got covered by smuts from coal fires!................... Why this comparatively short-lived cold spell is creating such consternation is difficult to understand. I suspect it's the result of too much 24 hour media, too many inferior journalists and a surfeit of risk assessments and "safeguarding"

Swap between various TV channels and the weather guessers presenters seem to be in a competition to out-do other presenters' doom and gloom forecasts. As the for the BBC News, today's weather reports show that they are even more London centric than ever.

During the winter of 62/63, we sat in the classroom with our outdoor coats on (those of us who had them) because the heating system had broken down, the buses and trains ran on time, shops stayed open, etc. We're not allowed to take risks any more; ambulance chasing lawyers and overzealous elfin safe tee nazis fanatics have seen to that.

finncapt
27th Feb 2018, 15:42
No snow today but it did get to -15c for an hour or so - bit colder now the sun has gone down.

It was about -20 last night and should get near to -30 tonight.

Probably won't beat the -37 outside my front door a few years back.

Oh, as far as I know, the trains, busses, airplanes are running to time.

Haven't been out in the car today, I'm supervising my wife painting the hall.

Should I send food parcels?

Alan

ORAC
27th Feb 2018, 15:56
Aquavit and rollmop herring gratefully accepted.....

MadsDad
27th Feb 2018, 16:16
I remember winter 62/63. Walking across Vicars Pond (100 yards wide, probably not sensible but what did we know about that). Not much snow, but I never had any problem getting to school (4 1/2 mile by bus then 1/2 mile walk).

It was bloody cold though.

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2018, 16:47
Apparently, in regions where there has been little or no snow, the supermarket shelves are stripped bare after panic buying by :mad:

ShyTorque
27th Feb 2018, 17:03
We had 10 inches of snow at 'river level' in 2010 with more in the surrounding hills.

Same, the river here is 12 feet lower than us. :ok:

Bee Rexit
27th Feb 2018, 17:05
No trains, rubbish not collected, transport chaos. I just see it as a dress rehearsal for when Corbyn gets in.

finncapt
27th Feb 2018, 19:27
Weathermen.

We have a similar problem in Finland.x

MTV3, the commercial channel, often reports doom and gloom.

The BBC equivalent tends to tell it how it is.

With my experience, you can judge that how you wish, I tend to come to my own conclusions.

I remember Arthur, in Kirkwall, who said the fog will clear when the tide changes.

Perhaps the modern weatherman (I include those of the opposite and any other sex) is a showman (tv personality) rather than what we (expecting to get flailed) remember as forecasters.

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2018, 19:54
The roads through the village have been trampled down smooth and are now frozen already (with harder frost to come). You can see the shine.

The County Council gritter drivers have 'run out of hours' (just spoken with a private contractor with a Transit pickup who has been called-in to deal with a stuck wagon on a steep hill in the nearby town), so we are unlikely to get our usual good service.

Buses seem to have stopped running.

We are forecast to get a serious amount of snow overnight (far more than the 8cm that we got last night).

sitigeltfel
27th Feb 2018, 21:03
They had an attempt at gritting the roads here this morning. There was around one small lump of salt per square metre!

GLIDER 90
27th Feb 2018, 22:46
Now with all this Snow we are getting!! it will be panic buying in all the shops, the shelves will be empty there will be no deliveries, but meanwhile in Norway & other Northern parts of Europe Life goes on as normal. Anyone would think it was 1947 or 1963 in the UK!!

treadigraph
27th Feb 2018, 23:53
Panic report from Croydon - I nearly went arse over tit on me way to the Builders... forget the snow, there's precious little, it's the black bloody ice on the pavements that gets you. Seven pints have calmed me down...

PS, thanks TWT, it's not great but I am ok about it. I can afford a few months off now and there several people in my life who need support at the moment and I will now be able to give them help just when they need it.

Hokulea
28th Feb 2018, 04:46
Hokulea
I was at Preston in early 80,s and we had the same conditions in our student house in Bamber Bridge, in fact the tooth paste also seemed to freeze from memory. Also had the old 50p meter as well. Seems an awfully longtime ago.
Greetings Mr Mac. It seems you lived in the posh area! I spent six years in Preston and most of it was in Aston-on-Ribble. If you know Umberto's chippy you know exactly where I lived. What I remember about Preston was that even if the rest of the country was covered in snow, it would be drizzling in Preston. Same when the rest of the country was experiencing a hot summer. I managed to get back there a few years ago and the place has changed a lot, except the drizzle that is. Still, I have fond memories of my time there.

sitigeltfel
28th Feb 2018, 07:06
What is the point of weather presenters, dressing up like Eskimos, to give us the weather report from the roof of their studio?
Are they trying to appear macho, or are simply posturing prats?

crewmeal
28th Feb 2018, 07:09
How are the Italians coping?????

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/26/europe/rome-europe-cold-weather-intl/index.html

larssnowpharter
28th Feb 2018, 07:58
About 20cm of snow overnight. Most local schools closed, airport closed, most rail services cancelled and buses struggling. Vis down to about 10 metres at times.

Sproglettes very excited as it's the first real snow they have ever seen. Looks like it will be snowman making time later.

G-CPTN
28th Feb 2018, 08:42
Computer says snow.

ORAC
28th Feb 2018, 09:05
The Times:

“Seen on the website of the Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre (http://www.jnlchatham.co.uk/) in Kent yesterday: “Centre is currently closed due to the weather conditions......”

ATNotts
28th Feb 2018, 09:17
Computer says snow.

Since the BBC and Met Office parted company I've been looking at both the BBC/Meteogroup and Met Office versions of the forecast.

This morning for example, for Nottingham, they are poles apart.

BBC/Meteogroup are expecting little snow when the next low pressure area comes up from the south; whilst the Met Office have a much longer period of snow forecast. One must be wrong, but it serves to show just how inaccurate forecasting is.

So you have the slightly ridiculous situation of the BBC using one forecaster for their broadcast forecasts, and overlaying Met Office "weather warnings" as and when they are issued. No wonder people and organisations are confused, and perhaps taking irrational decisions as they are based on false premise.

Pinky the pilot
28th Feb 2018, 09:34
Meanwhile, back in the (former) Colonies...er well one of them anyway;

30C today with an overnight low of 13C forecast for the last (so called) Summer evening. :D

The long range forecasts have Waikerie being in the low 30's for the weekend. I'll believe it when/if I see it though. It can get cold here in Winter though.

According to an old Waikerie Gliding Club member now deceased,whom I knew years ago, it once snowed very briefly in the Waikerie area. IIRC he said that it was in mid to late July of around 1936. The snowfall was sufficient to just cover the ground but disappeared after about 5 minutes.

I have seen minimum temperatures of -5C in mid to late July/early August but the daily maximum then gets to the low 'teens.'

hiflymk3
28th Feb 2018, 10:57
Our living room overlooks a snow covered hill, it's entertaining watching drivers trying to negotiate it. One went down at 45 degrees barely missing parked cars. Others, boy racer types, are over revving in an attempt to get grip. :ugh: :=

sitigeltfel
28th Feb 2018, 11:29
I listened to a phone-in on the radio this morning where the salaried staff at a business didn't turn up because of the snow, but most of the hourly paid workers managed to make it in.

Funny that!

Mr Mac
28th Feb 2018, 11:54
Greetings Mr Mac. It seems you lived in the posh area! I spent six years in Preston and most of it was in Aston-on-Ribble. If you know Umberto's chippy you know exactly where I lived. What I remember about Preston was that even if the rest of the country was covered in snow, it would be drizzling in Preston. Same when the rest of the country was experiencing a hot summer. I managed to get back there a few years ago and the place has changed a lot, except the drizzle that is. Still, I have fond memories of my time there.[/QUOTE]

I do not think a 1940,s council house, which could not be let to locals due to a gruesome murder being carried out there a few months before we arrived, as Posh.! Locals would not live in it, so it was handed to the Poly as student house, and we were the first residents. Local kids thought we were more Police at first. But you are right about weather in Preston, endless rain with very hard frost in winter. Only there one year thank goodness, and it was a bit of a dump at the time, as were most UK industrial cities after 70,s recession. Funny how people almost want to go back to those times.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

NorthernChappie
28th Feb 2018, 12:23
I see our part of the world in Scotland has just gone to a red warning. That is a bit different. Had to giggle at the BBC travel updates which includes the bit in brackets - probably from their pronunciation people which they forget to remove before posting.

"The A941 Elgin to Aberlour (as in sour) road. Police are tweeting to say vehicles struggling in the snow at Rothes."

Heyho - off to the Co-op to panic buy wine and beer.

gemma10
28th Feb 2018, 12:46
Just come back from long walk around Alexandra Park in Hastings with the shepherd. He loves it in the snow, not much left now, but that easterly is one son of a b1tch. :eek::eek:

G-CPTN
28th Feb 2018, 14:59
Armageddon failed to arrive here (down by the river).
The night-shift gritting crews obviously reported and did their job, however, the north/south road (to and from Scotland) is currently reported to be blocked two miles north of here (not unusual, it's a different world up there in the hills - even so close to civilisation).
At around 12.15pm on Wednesday police said the road had become impassable for cars.
They said they were waiting for a snow plough to clear the road in both directions.

Krystal n chips
28th Feb 2018, 16:07
JB Exclusive !!

"Sundry collection of snowflakes fall on the West and East Midlands !!"

" Life carried on as normal ! ".

One valiantly risked life and limb to travel, on a train, between Stafford and Derby today, and, apart from a few flurries and the odd patch here and there ( please remember there is an Amber warning in force here ) there was, as they say in polite circles, the square root of sweet F.A.

One was hoping Tamworth would be cut orff as this would have benefitted civilisation......alas.

One even saw no less than three helicopters flying !....;)

True, there is a bit about 16 miles from me, but, as the elevation is about 150m this is hardly a surprise.

It was nice to see Kent declared a snow emergency, which doesn't auger well for when the County is converted to a glorified lorry park really.

JB nominee for the "fearless reporter talking borrlicks " award ( other contenders may be available ) goes to an ITV reporter last night.

Our hero, with open neck shirt, nothing on his head, and with a few flurries of snow descending, made a nomination worthy attempt to combine gravitas and melodrama with unstinting effort. He was in Durham, which has been known to get a bit at times, but, the real drama came when he announced that last night the temp was......-2C !!..and tonight would be....-4C !!.

Possibly he's never been further North than Brent Cross shopping centre, or maybe Luton, in the Summer, so these values were clearly regarded, as, erm, newsworthy.

Every cloud has a silver lining however, and, allegedly, the TOC's commitment to their shareholders was enhanced by the taxpayer shelling out for the weather cancellations .....that's the private sector for you, never look a gift horse in the mouth as they say.

I do, seriously, understand there are parts of the UK which have been badly hit, but even so, this isn't unusual or unknown.

And, as a another thread points out, next time we are exhorted to "keep up to date " on the Met Hoffices web site, it would be useful if the nation wasn't confronted with a message about a map outage and the bare minimum of information on the rest of the site.

One feels, that unlike a few years ago when the Met Hoffice predicted a "snow event ", which happened, and duly gushed forth in a documentary about this afterwards, a reprise will not be added to the broadcasting schedules this time.

hiflymk3
28th Feb 2018, 16:17
If schools hadn't closed then we would have missed the sight of children having fun in the snow. Snow is so rare in the UK, let them and their parents have some fun together. Forget work and school for a couple of days and enjoy some good old fashioned outdoor fun.

@gemma10 Alexandra Park is a gem of a park, especially in the snow.

Tankertrashnav
28th Feb 2018, 18:13
Daughter's job allows her to work from home a couple of days a week. She worked from home today and was cross because her office sent everyone home at around 1pm, but of course as she was already home she had to carry on working till 5!

ShyTorque
28th Feb 2018, 19:29
Not much further north than K&C was today, many people were struggling to get into a certain Tesco's petrol station of my acquaintance, to panic buy fuel (they've already bought all the bread and milk). It was so icy on the slight entry slope and hardly anyone thinks to fit suitable tyres for the wintry conditions that we seem to get up here...every winter (almost exactly one year since the last lot we had).

Me, in my car with snow tyres fitted, straight up the slope, no wheelspin, no problem - panic petrol buying easily done (well, it needed filling up anyway). On the ungritted minor road from our village I very nearly got rear ended by a Vauxhall Vectra driving muppet who accelerated from three hundred yards back to get close on my stern as we approached a "blind" T junction - I briefly stopped, turned right after the "Give Way" line then watched in my rear view mirror as after about three seconds, the Vectra appeared and sailed right over the main road with wheels locked and disappeared! Luck for the driver, there is a gap in the wall and a private entrance track opposite, leading to a private house. I watched the Vectra being reversed out then it turned around and reversed course - I think he'd frightened himself enough and gave up.

Jetex_Jim
1st Mar 2018, 05:23
https://twitter.com/KarlreMarks/status/968773102640431104

Krystal n chips
1st Mar 2018, 05:26
Not much further north than K&C was today, many people were struggling to get into a certain Tesco's petrol station of my acquaintance, to panic buy fuel (they've already bought all the bread and milk). It was so icy on the slight entry slope and hardly anyone thinks to fit suitable tyres for the wintry conditions that we seem to get up here...every winter (almost exactly one year since the last lot we had).

Me, in my car with snow tyres fitted, straight up the slope, no wheelspin, no problem - panic petrol buying easily done (well, it needed filling up anyway). On the ungritted minor road from our village I very nearly got rear ended by a Vauxhall Vectra driving muppet who accelerated from three hundred yards back to get close on my stern as we approached a "blind" T junction - I briefly stopped, turned right after the "Give Way" line then watched in my rear view mirror as after about three seconds, the Vectra appeared and sailed right over the main road with wheels locked and disappeared! Luck for the driver, there is a gap in the wall and a private entrance track opposite, leading to a private house. I watched the Vectra being reversed out then it turned around and reversed course - I think he'd frightened himself enough and gave up.

Be fair, you are at a slightly higher altitude hence that delightful grind up the A38 ;) Alfreton has long been the equivalent of Camp 1 on Everest for those making this ascent as I'm sure you are aware.

However, good news ! Down at the other end of the above much maligned ( for good reason ) arterial route we have finally joined the rest of the UK ( other social developments remain pending ) as it has snowed !......nothing to get remotely excited though about unless you are the media or from the South that is. Although it has got a bit breezy, an unscientific estimate of about 20 +kts in fact.

We know it's serious when the "One Show " dispenses with the usual luvvie mutual adoration and promotion of said luvvies latest book, film, series or music format and devotes the programme to a "snow special ".

And when the 6.30 news weather on the BBC attempts, but fails, to placate the public with a PR explanation as to what the various alerts mean.

Sadly, there was no explanation as to the map outage, which is still ongoing, but thankfully, the public have not been deprived of the really crucial information on the site......the adverts !.......ain't technology great in our times of need.

Non of the above seeks to trivialise the parts of the UK which are seriously affected by the current adverse weather I hasten to add, but, overall, the weather has been a normal (ish ) UK winter for those of us who remember such, true without much affection.

Probably the worst is yet to come though with the impending drain on the NHS when its readers suddenly realise the Excess has published a factual headline concerning the snow and the shock of reading such hits home,

EGLD
1st Mar 2018, 07:39
It was nice to see Kent declared a snow emergency, which doesn't auger well for when the County is converted to a glorified lorry park really.

"Here's two completely unrelated things that will allow me turn this thread political" :D

Krystal n chips
1st Mar 2018, 09:15
"Here's two completely unrelated things that will allow me turn this thread political" :D

Oh dear...my commiserations to you.

Has the local St Bernard home delivery service, which should have come to the fore in this weather really failed to deliver to the residents of your impoverished community their essential supplies of Remy Martin Louis X111 Cognac then ?...hence you are suffering hallucinations as a result...:D:E

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/louis+xiii+de+remy+martin+black+pearl+grand+champagne+cognac +france

RedhillPhil
1st Mar 2018, 09:31
Got 3" of snow in my garden. Anyone without snow want it?

Donkey497
1st Mar 2018, 09:58
Well the red warning is due to expire in about ten minutes, but the weather outside kind of suggests that it's not about to get tropical any time soon.

I'm fairly sure that the houses across the road have not vanished, it's more likely that the snedge is flying horizontally again.

I can honestly say that I haven't seen weather like this here before, the last time that I experienced weather like this was when I visited my Aunt in Canada about four years ago. At least then Dave Finch had the superb timing to pass by with his Cat 950 loader to clear the drive. Nice toy - wish I had one......

Let's see if we can get to work tomorrow.

WilliumMate
1st Mar 2018, 10:00
Met Office extended the red warning for our northern cousins until 1500.

NutLoose
1st Mar 2018, 10:01
They have got two feet of snow in Lincolnshire.........

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4677/40498198152_42da55b7d3_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pelliott1954/40498198152/

not my picture :E

treadigraph
1st Mar 2018, 10:01
Very generous Phil, but I've got at least that amount already. And I need to walk down to tesco to panic buy a bottle of milk and some bread - and a nice steak; much rather stay in today...!

Has Storm Doris or whatever arrived in PZ yet?

Actually the other panic buy is some Rattler - going out for a drink tonight with a friend, but if the snow continues, I might take a few bottles round to her place rather than drag her down to the boozer.

ORAC
1st Mar 2018, 10:36
Looks like Brighton and much of the south-east Coast will avoid Emma and the big blob.

Been evident watching the Met for the last couple of days that the front from the east is being stronger and more stable than expected and Emma, instead of heading N/NE is being pushed NW and hitting almost exclusively the SW, Wales and Ireland. I understand Eire has issued a Red warning for the whole country for the next 24 hours.

Hunker down and the best of luck.

ATNotts
1st Mar 2018, 11:06
Credit where credit is due.

The Nottingham tram network has been operating from start of service this morning, despite at least 10cm new snow having fallen overnight. Shows that where there's a will there is a way.

I fully expected them to have opened the curtains this morning, done a quick mark one eyeball risk assessment and cancelled service for the day. Me of little faith!

4mastacker
1st Mar 2018, 11:18
Our local bus service is running on time; which is unusual considering they regularly cancel/ run late.

larssnowpharter
1st Mar 2018, 11:23
The message around here now is that the airport is open but strong winds are causing the 1ft of snow to drift and this is causing problems on many country roads.

hiflymk3
1st Mar 2018, 11:27
I'm going outside to the local shop. "I may be some time."

blue up
1st Mar 2018, 12:26
We had an inch of snow last night...

treadigraph
1st Mar 2018, 13:17
Just got back from walking to Tescos; roads and pavements absolutely fine, will admit to feeling a bit chilly though. Blast! Forgot to buy the Rattler... :(

Someone has placed an "art installation" of large colourful flowers on the Tesco roundabout in the middle of Purley, presumably celebrating the first day of spring. Ah well...

Cremeegg
1st Mar 2018, 16:48
Takes more than an art installation to improve the centre of Purley!

Loved your comment a few days ago Tredders - redundancy is rarely good news but such a great attitude can only help.

[QUOTE][/ it's not great but I am ok about it. I can afford a few months off now and there several people in my life who need support at the moment and I will now be able to give them help just when they need it. QUOTE]

Krystal n chips
1st Mar 2018, 16:57
Putting matters in perspective.

BST starts on the 25th March

Of equal importance, the cricket season starts on 13th April.

Met Hoffice rain radar....to be announced

Went to the shops and for a haircut.

Enter "modern yoof ", bless him, at the latter who said he had "never seen snow like it !" ( it transpires he's 23 ) and was perplexed to be greeted with laughter from oneself and another customer waiting ....both of us a similar age. He was further perplexed when he added that people had...walked !...to the shop rather than drive. Cue more laughter.

The Oberon
1st Mar 2018, 17:03
Me, SWMBO and invalid grandsprog flying back to UK tomorrow. Driving from East Mids to Lincoln in the evening, A453, A52 and A46. T'internet out here a bit iffy and contradictory. Any local information gratefully received. TIA.

Krystal n chips
1st Mar 2018, 17:21
Me, SWMBO and invalid grandsprog flying back to UK tomorrow. Driving from East Mids to Lincoln in the evening, A453, A52 and A46. T'internet out here a bit iffy and contradictory. Any local information gratefully received. TIA.

This may be of use, hopefully. As it stands, with the best will in the world, try and overnight at or near EMA because whilst mocking the UK weather and the Met Office is a national past time, there's also a time to be very serious.

Motorists stuck as snow blocks major roads in Lincolnshire - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-43238716)

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2018, 17:43
An event planned to raise money for the Homeless where CEOs sleep out (in St James Park Football Ground) which was scheduled to take place tonight (1st March) has been 'postponed' until next week.

CEOSleepoutUK - Newcastle (http://www.ceosleepoutuk.com/newcastle/)

Tonight's #CEOSleepoutNewcastle has been POSTPONED for 1 week because of the severe weather warning & very understandable reasons.

sitigeltfel
1st Mar 2018, 19:25
Things are getting really bad...

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/eefad0580a10492a3a3f50e09eb6cd52e36317751606174995a9a38761f1 3ebe.jpg

cavortingcheetah
1st Mar 2018, 20:06
Never mind, once Momentum and the merry Marxists come to power these sort of winters will never be allowed to get the better of the indomitable spirit of Britannia. The Russian army will be called upon to render support and troops stationed in Britain will emerge from their local barracks to provide traffic assistance and snow clearing materiel.

hiflymk3
1st Mar 2018, 20:36
Never mind, once Momentum and the merry Marxists come to power these sort of winters will never be allowed to get the better of the indomitable spirit of Britannia. The Russian army will be called upon to render support and troops stationed in Britain will emerge from their local barracks to provide traffic assistance and snow clearing materiel.

What's this got to do with the bloody weather? :ugh:

Mr Mac
1st Mar 2018, 20:58
Cavortingcheetah
I will could do with Russian army or small part of it to clear track to B road as local authority seem to be unable to arrange it. Currently 4m drifts approximately 30m long with snow blowing in off the fields so working from home again on Friday. Back to the Gulf Sunday if I get out, but Mrs Mac not impressed with my impending departure to sunnier climbs. However given de-icing cockups at MAN it maybe a late trip anyway. Keep the home fires burning as they say.
Kind regards
Mr Mac

4mastacker
1st Mar 2018, 21:41

EMA has been shut to pax flights most of the day but the man on tv said they hope to be open tomorrow for pax flights.

It looks like most of Lincolnshire is affected by snow at the moment. There's been some dire scenes of the roads on the local tv; Stagecoach took a lot of their bus services off the road.

Junior daughter lives just off the A46 in Witham St Hughs (formerly RAF Swinderby) and she's been stuck there for the past two days.

The A46 round Lincoln has been a bit chaotic.

If you are heading anywhere beyond Lincoln, then there are quite a few road closures.

Can't speak for what it's like round Nottingham way but be prepared for a very extended journey time, oh!... and attend to natural needs before you leave the airport. :ok:

There's this web-site but treat with caution as the situation is changing all the time.

Traffic news from the AA (http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp)

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2018, 22:23
Local radio here is reporting attempts by the County Council crews with snowblowers to release an unknown number of vehicles that have been trapped by snowdrifts up to 10 feet deep on 30 miles of the A1 since this morning, including a coachload of pensioners. The road is not expected to open as the wind is blowing snow into drifts as soon as they clear sections. Many travellers are expected to have to spend the night in their vehicles.

There are currently no roads open between England and Scotland.

wowzz
1st Mar 2018, 23:12

I live near Gainsborough, and main roads round here seem OK, BUT, that means nothing as 20 miles away the situation could be totally different. I'm in agreement that the safest and warmest option would be to stay near EMA and make the journey the next day, in daylight, and when the worst of the weather might be over.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Mar 2018, 23:48
Hey, this will all be finished by Sunday night when I get back to the UK, won't it?

treadigraph
2nd Mar 2018, 00:17
No, we'll make sure it continues, hate for you to miss it Gertrude!

Krystal n chips
2nd Mar 2018, 06:01
Nothing like the weather to send the meedja persons into a frenzy of self importance

Last night, Channel 5 devoted some considerable time to the topic, or rather to the adverts frequently interspersing the reports, allied to a fashion show for the presenters.

However ( one was channel hopping here ) there was one priceless moment of "stating the bleeding obvious " from one fearless reporter as to what to carry in your car in such conditions.

This included a map. Always useful if you're stuck for hours going nowhere.

Whilst lacking the sanctimonious and patronising delivery / inflection of a Beeb reporter a few years ago, the one who brandished a map and said that if your sat nav goes for a can of worms, "you'll need one of these ! " , maps, strangely, having been around considerably longer than sat navs, the report last night was almost a mirror image.

Last nights 6.30 Beeb forecast was also a classic. Stern warnings as to what a "Red" alert means, difficult not to be able to understand really, and much mention of the likely to be affected areas.

This morning ?....erm, downgraded to mere "Amber" status.

Anyway, once the "Beast from the East " dissipates, shurely the next dramatic headline will be the "Pest from the West " c. KnC JB ( all royalties to be donated to fund a course for aspiring fearless reporters as to why standing covered in snow / rain or gales telling the public what is patently obvious) doesn't really constitute intrepid reporting.

handsfree
2nd Mar 2018, 08:00
The Oberon

I was out on the roads around East Midlands airport last night and they were fairly iffy
due to ice but as far as I know all were open to traffic. The airport is open again this
morning albeit with lots of cancellations.
Weather at present is -2C with a pretty nasty wind taking it down to -10C. Some snow
is forecast for later. 4mastacker has covered the other areas for you in post 129.
Forecast for the area tomorrow is a bit more benign.
Your journey is do-able but will involve a lot of concentrated driving by the looks of
things. Bear in mid that your route of choice may not be available to you as accidents
are closing roads with monotonous regularity.
Good luck.

G-CPTN
2nd Mar 2018, 10:12
A speech by the Prime Minister has been moved from Newcastle today because of the severe weather.
Mrs May's speech has been relocated from Newcastle to the Mansion House in central London.

sitigeltfel
2nd Mar 2018, 10:17
I am due to be flying in to Heathrow tomorrow for a wedding on Sunday. If all you LHR folks can make sure everything is clear, it would be much appreciated. :ok: ;)

ORAC
2nd Mar 2018, 10:24
Well you can see for yourselves how we are suffering in Brighton at the moment...... :cool:

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton.html

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton-pier.html

Krystal n chips
2nd Mar 2018, 10:27
A speech by the Prime Minister has been moved from Newcastle today because of the severe weather.
Mrs May's speech has been relocated from Newcastle to the Mansion House in central London.

And the population of Newcastle and the North East will be delighted at this positive side effect of the current weather !

DType
2nd Mar 2018, 12:01
Put on my rucksack and walked 1.5 miles through the snow to T***o.
Many shelves empty.
Walked 1.5 miles back with a lightweight rucksack.

G-CPTN
2nd Mar 2018, 12:18
The library in our nearby town (of approx 12,000 residents) remained closed yesterday on the grounds of 'safety' as only three of their (normally four) members of staff turned up.

charliegolf
2nd Mar 2018, 12:20
Put on my rucksack and walked 1.5 miles through the snow to T***o.
Many shelves empty.
Walked 1.5 miles back with a lightweight rucksack.

You simply needed to tab the other 200 miles to Port Talbot and your bag would be runnething over:ok:

CG

treadigraph
2nd Mar 2018, 14:10
Purley Tesco was pretty normal yesterday, though there had been a run on frozen ready meals, hardly anything left. I only wanted a cottage pie for when I get home from the pub tonight. A chicken hotpot will have to do...

G-CPTN
2nd Mar 2018, 15:36
It seems that several retailers have had 'delivery failures' during the last couple of days.
My local Coop had empty shelves (no milk and no bread).

Windy Militant
2nd Mar 2018, 15:49
It seems that several retailers have had 'delivery failures' during the last couple of days.
My local Coop had empty shelves (no milk and no bread).
Apparently this is due to many retailers now depending on Just in Time deliveries from central hubs. Its great for keeping stocking levels low and not tying up floor space in store for storage. Not so good when your wagons are all stuck on the A303, M80 (insert road chaos spot of your choice).
Still I thought all you cold war warriors had six months of tinned stuff stashed under the stairs just in case! ;)

Mr Oleo Strut
2nd Mar 2018, 15:59
I can think of one cracking good local hostlery. Convenient, easy walking distance, good parking, always open. Cheerful, welcoming bar staff. Roaring fire, warm, cosy, comfortable, good seating. Telly if wanted. Food always available. Good selection of wines and beers. All in all very pleasant. It's the Home, Sweet, Home, Up My Street. That'll do for me!

G-CPTN
2nd Mar 2018, 16:00
Also heard that milk tankers have been unable to reach farms to collect the milk because of snow on rural roads - so the farmers have had to flush the milk down the drains to make way for the next day's produce.

radeng
2nd Mar 2018, 16:04
I can't find the link, but the BBC yesterday had an item about a Scottish surgeon who walked about 8 miles through the snow for about 3 hours because she knew she had a patient needing urgent surgery for bowel cancer. That's real dedication....

Hussar 54
2nd Mar 2018, 17:44
After a week consisting of the deepest snowfall in more than 100 years followed by three days of storms with nonstop sleet coming down nonstop horizontally, this afternoon I was able to play golf under cloudless skies and 17 degrees temperature.

And the family in the Fatherland often ask us why we chose to live here !!

KelvinD
2nd Mar 2018, 19:01
Panic buying takes me back to Kuwait in the forenoon of August 2nd 1990. When it became obvious we may be in for a bit of a spell, I volunteered to go to the supermarket at the bottom of my apartment to stock up on necessities. Twenty minutes later, I was back, reporting the supermarket was inundated with panic stricken Asian customer, buying all the bread and rice they could lay hands on.
I then unloaded my bounty of digestive biscuits, a couple of jars of instant coffee, along with a couple of jars of powdered coffee creamer and 200 Marlboro and we settled down to watch the antics going on in the sky above.

Highway1
2nd Mar 2018, 19:11
What is the fuss all about

https://realclimatescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Screen-Shot-2017-01-06-at-9.41.34-AM-down-1.gif

bnt
2nd Mar 2018, 21:36
Meanwhile, over in Ireland (http://www.thejournal.ie/lidl-dublin-looted-3882869-Mar2018/):

https://preview.ibb.co/iMcjk7/IMG_20180302_WA0113.jpg

This is in Citywest, a western suburb of Dublin. Looters took a lot of drink and tried using a JCB to crack the safe, before setting the Lidl on fire.

Krystal n chips
3rd Mar 2018, 03:36
Faced with adversity, there's always the famed British resolve and stiff upper lip to overcome such. The fact that, in this case, the lips could become permanently stiff being of no consequence to those involved it seems.

Not forgetting that, with the ambient temps, a mere 750vDC would have had a warming effect and even jolted their brains into life.

Passengers jump onto Lewisham train tracks after delays - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43266245)

So many contenders for a mass "Darwin Award" deserve recognition for their efforts to gain their lasting place in history really.

On the other hand, why anybody should be in a hurry to get to Lewisham, rather than the reverse, remains a mystery.

TWT
3rd Mar 2018, 04:11
Most people wouldn't have a clue, or care less, how the power gets to the train. In this case, if someone was fried, then everyone would know :)

I've found that in most cases, telling people that something is dangerous makes no difference whatsoever to their plans.

As any copper knows all too well.

sitigeltfel
3rd Mar 2018, 04:14
Meanwhile, over in Ireland (http://www.thejournal.ie/lidl-dublin-looted-3882869-Mar2018/):

This is in Citywest, a western suburb of Dublin. Looters took a lot of drink and tried using a JCB to crack the safe, before setting the Lidl on fire.

While a store has been attacked and seriously damaged, that photo is fake news. There was no fire.

Pinky the pilot
3rd Mar 2018, 10:47
Saw a further report this evening on the TV News here in South Australia re the subject of this thread, and had the same thought as expressed in Highway 1's post above!

Wonder if anyone has attempted to get a comment from the said Dr David Viner?:hmm:

The Oberon
3rd Mar 2018, 10:59
Thanks to all the non hysterical advice I gleaned from here and over on ARRSE, I decided to drive from EMA to Lincoln and not night stop. Without busting a gut I arrived 5 mins. before Tom Tom said I would. Thanks again chaps.

treadigraph
3rd Mar 2018, 12:26
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/Matt%20homepage/MattMarch2018/0303-MATT-PORTAL-WEB-P1.png?imwidth=200

wowzz
3rd Mar 2018, 12:38
Thanks to all the non hysterical advice I gleaned from here and over on ARRSE, I decided to drive from EMA to Lincoln and not night stop. Without busting a gut I arrived 5 mins. before Tom Tom said I would. Thanks again chaps.

Pleased you made it OK.

4mastacker
3rd Mar 2018, 13:04

That's good news. :ok:

Krystal n chips
4th Mar 2018, 10:11
Gertie ! you made it !

Which one's you ??

Beast from the East: Fenland skating returns to Welney - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-43272488/beast-from-the-east-fenland-skating-returns-to-welney)

I like the bit about "understanding Fen conditions ".....cold, bleak, windy....not difficult really.