22nd Feb 2018, 13:40
And he`s in charge of the big red button. :confused:

CargoMatatu
22nd Feb 2018, 13:42
So the way to combat the proliferation of guns is ..... more guns! :ugh:
You couldn't make it up!

galaxy flyer
22nd Feb 2018, 14:05
Then again, in the America I grew up in a nine-year old could mail order a rifle and there weren’t school shooting, except in gym class or the scouts.

I Bought A Military Rifle When I Was Nine. There Were No Mass Shootings (http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/22/bought-military-rifle-nine-years-old-completely-normal-no-mass-shootings/)

SMT Member
22nd Feb 2018, 14:11
Then again, in the America I grew up in a nine-year old could mail order a rifle and there weren’t school shooting, except in gym class or the scouts.

I Bought A Military Rifle When I Was Nine. There Were No Mass Shootings (http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/22/bought-military-rifle-nine-years-old-completely-normal-no-mass-shootings/)

So you're advocating the gen. pop. has devolved in recent years, leading some of them to embark on mass murder using guns. That's a pretty good argument for revisiting the 2nd Amendment, wouldn't you say?

G-CPTN
22nd Feb 2018, 14:14
Any would-be classroom assassin no longer has to provide their own weapon - they can get one from their teacher!

galaxy flyer
22nd Feb 2018, 14:20
So you're advocating the gen. pop. has devolved in recent years, leading some of them to embark on mass murder using guns. That's a pretty good argument for revisiting the 2nd Amendment, wouldn't you say?

No, I would say it is a good way to revisit our society. Evolution doesn’t happen in two generations.

GF

Highway1
22nd Feb 2018, 14:24
How many mass shootings have there been in schools where the teachers are armed compared with ones that are 'gun free zones'?

TWT
22nd Feb 2018, 14:42
Hmmm. There's a lot of repetition on JB :)

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/605470-so-i-suppose-florida-thing-2.html#post10054579

larssnowpharter
22nd Feb 2018, 14:49
Frankly, it's an absolute disgrace that schools should be gun free zones! Why the hell should someone's constitutional rights change from one side to another of some arbitrary boundary?

Why on earth should just teachers be armed? Let's arm the pupils as well. All kids age six and above to receive obligatory small arms training for 1hr a week working towards their (KGC) Kid's Gunfighter Certificate. Once gained, kids required to wear their guns. And, while we're at it, none of this namby pamby concealed carry stuff. No, let's hark back to the way it was meant to be when the West was won. Let's go open carry.

Once these measures are introduced, no gun nutter would dare to try anything on again at a school. Not sure about those playground squabbles though🤔

Gault
22nd Feb 2018, 14:50
Theres a lot of repetition in American schools, unfortunately all the grown ups have lost the plot and think it's a reasonable price to pay...shame on them all

Icare9
22nd Feb 2018, 15:01
Billy the Kids?

krismiler
22nd Feb 2018, 15:05
You could have metal detectors at the entrance with bag searches by security guards in all schools instead of just the rough inner city ones.

PDR1
22nd Feb 2018, 15:25
If the teachers were armed then all the homework would be complete, and handed in on time...

Of course the USA has banned Kinder Eggs because they are dangerous to kids, so they won't see those thousands of driveby kider-eggings that we get in the UK.

PDR

galaxy flyer
22nd Feb 2018, 15:25
How many mass shootings have there been in schools where the teachers are armed compared with ones that are 'gun free zones'?

Forty-four years ago, Palestinians shot up an Israeli school. Armed guards put in place, none since.

GF

lomapaseo
22nd Feb 2018, 15:29
Arm the teachers.

The mind boggles!

I presumed the teacher would only carry concealed and that it was intended only to stop a single multi-shot armed person thus cutting the carnage way down.

Against this I expect a percentage of armed teachers would result in accidental or deliberate murders of one or two innocents from time to time.

It's the statistics that support it, not the news fodder.

If it works for pilots where do we stop?

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Feb 2018, 15:34
Against this I expect a percentage of armed teachers would result in accidental or deliberate murders of one or two innocents from time to time.
Yup. School shooters wouldn't even have to source their own guns any more, they could just steal them from the teachers.

ATNotts
22nd Feb 2018, 15:51
It somehow speaks volumes about a President who took millions off the National Rifle Association to help fund his election campaign should advocate the greater potential use of firearms to "protect" school students in class.

I can see a problem with this plan insofar as many teachers, who tend to come from the more liberal wing of society may be unwilling to carry a gun, and many more refuse to work in an educational institution where guns were held by teaching staff.

Perhaps if Anheuser Busch had give millions to the Trump campaign he might have felt more able to reduce the age at which one can buy a beer to 18, and raise the age at which firearms could be bought to 21. Just a thought.

Turbine D
22nd Feb 2018, 16:02
You must mean a Red Ryder BB gun, I had one, lever action as I recall...

ExXB
22nd Feb 2018, 16:30
People too young to (legally) drink should not be allowed to (legally) be in possession of lethal weapons. Perhaps under the direct supervision of a responsible parent or guardian.

This infringes no-one’s constitutional rights.

I’d even make an exception for underage girls, since they appear to be much better in control.

Highway1
22nd Feb 2018, 17:35
Perhaps if Anheuser Busch had give millions to the Trump campaign he might have felt more able to reduce the age at which one can buy a beer to 18, and raise the age at which firearms could be bought to 21. Just a thought.

If someone is willing to murder 17 people is he going to be dissuaded by a Law against gun sales to people under 21?. Only a tiny fraction of gun crime is committed by people who acquire those guns legally.

clareprop
22nd Feb 2018, 17:57
As has, I think, been mentioned somewhere, the second amendment was written when a musket was the available technology. The amendment was also written with the defense of the nation in mind. Whatever else, despite what the supreme court states, it cannot have been intended to let all and sundry walk around with semi-automatic rifles. It seems to me the interpretation of the amendment now is as twisted and warped as those who choose to interpret religious writings in a similar depraved manner.

Crepello
22nd Feb 2018, 18:01
Since more laws are being pushed as the answer, perhaps we could start by outlawing murder? Surely that would solve the problem overnight?

[Phone rings in background...]

RAT 5
22nd Feb 2018, 18:13
Arm the teachers? Yeah right. So that means the all the teachers have to go on police firearms courses and be re-freshed every year. That means they can demand extra payment for their increased skills & responsibilities. Yeah, right.

And this is in schools where a teacher can not give an unruly pupil a clip round the ear. I can just see a some of the more effeminate teachers reacting to a crazy shooter situation. Arm the teachers and the friendly fire injuries will be more than the shooters.

Who here thinks that if Trump had said this before the election he would still have won?

But on a broader note of the gun issue I do think the various advocates, of both sides, and especially those wanting controls, have not set out their stall very persuasively.
I do not believe you can cancel the 2nd amendment. It might be amended. Trump seems to want to focus on mental state being the problem, not guns. OK. That means background checks.
There is no problem wanting to have gun. My sister has her target rifle in a locked box at home, all licensed for transport to/from range. Easy. A guy might want a shotgun, a rifle small & large calibre, a couple of pistols etc. No big deal; just tell us why you want them and have a background check.
This kid in Florida had 10 rifles. Now if their purchase was registered that should ring some bells. Why does a kid want 10 rifles? The fact you can buy militia style weaponry at gun shows, unchecked. You could slowly build yourself an arsenal unbeknown to the FBI. But cross the street on a Red, or drink openly in a park, or speed 10mph and the full force will descend. Dumb & stupid.

Hunting guys, range shooters, farmers, clay pigeon guys etc. etc. all want guns; no big deal, but free purchase of military style hardware is a small dick thing for many. Why do you want one, and if you do have one, why does the FBI not want to know? That want to know a huge amount of trivial rubbish about you, but important stuff.........naaa.

So the gun control guys, IMHO, should ask why not make someone justify wanting a military gun, how many guns, i.e. a register, and background checks. OK, the hunters out in Alaska will go crazy that they can not go into a store and buy a hunting rifle to go on a trip, or shoot for the pot. If you had a gun owners licence you could. The US want to allow spur of the moment Rambo stuff. Hm.

PDR1
22nd Feb 2018, 18:43
I have no problem with the idea of limiting gun ownership to those who are suitably mature. So I would support unrestricted sales of guns to anyone over the age of 80, provided they are accompanied by all four grandparents to vouch for their character.

Seemples.

PDR

Chronus
22nd Feb 2018, 18:48
Have I missed something. I have not heard even a whisper about all those violent video shooting games where bullets, missiles and all manner of ordnance is let loose filling the screen splattered with blood and flying body parts scattered everywhere. The images are as vivid and almost real. What sort of an effect can this produce on young and impressionable minds. I would introduce a complete ban on all such so called "games". How could these be called games, how can they be fun, sports, even the word sadisim does not convey the extent of their violence.
I would submit that there is a direct link between these and the increase in incidents such as this latest one. To me they are as bad as narcotics and should be banned.

BehindBlueEyes
22nd Feb 2018, 18:56
Why stop at arming teachers? There’s been gun attacks in churches, therefore religious leaders need to be armed. There’s been shootings in hospitals, so let’s arm the doctors and nurses. Let’s not forget the attacks that have taken place in shopping malls, tool up all the sales assistants. What about bank staff? Quite a few of them have had to look down the wrong end of a gun too. Don’t they deserve arming? When will this lunacy stop?

Hey guys! We’ve got a problem with uncontrollable shooters, I know, we’ll solve it by...adding even more guns to the mix.

There’s a few interesting ideas already popping up in the media, one of which is:

“Want to See Gun Control Enacted? Support a Movement to Arm Black/Muslim/Mexican people en masse.”

I bet it wouldn’t take too long before there was a rapid re-evaluation of the second amendment.

“The intensity of gun fervor in white Americans often correlates directly with racist attitudes, and by extension, fears and stereotypes about black criminality, thus creating a perceived need for more guns. Researchers note that “for each 1 point increase in symbolic racism there was a 50 percent increase in the odds of having a gun at home.”

“Opposition to gun control—like opposition to immigration, Sharia law, and ‘political correctness’—has become linked to things that racially resentful whites fear." It seems pretty likely that, were the media face of gun ownership to become black, calls to institute legislative controls would suddenly fill the halls of Congress.“

clark y
22nd Feb 2018, 19:03
Not just games. TV, movies as well. A lot of TV shows glorify violence and lawlessness. Boundaries are always being pushed. The internet is no better.
I wonder how much the copy cat factor comes into play. Trying to be the worst. You either become famous or infamous. That way you will be remembered forever.

FakePilot
22nd Feb 2018, 19:04
None so blind as those blinded by the blindingly obvious.