PDA

View Full Version : Simulator time

ETOPS773
21st Jul 2002, 22:29
Hi everyone.

I have a friend up north,and he is an engineer the full motion flight simulators for a well known company.

He has mangaged to get me a go in an 777 for 3-4 hours one evening next week,and i`ve only got my PPL.

My question is,can I log the time,and how??
Do I just scribble in "777" underneath aircraft type etc??
Does there have to be an instructor there for me to be able to log the time???

Any answers would be handy,when I go i`ll take some pictures and post them up somewhere so you can see what the insides look like if you want.

Ta ta
ETOPS

worzel
22nd Jul 2002, 06:41
ETOPS773

Im not 100% sure of this but I think that sim time can only be logged if it is a training session, test or examination.

You've probably got a sim section at the back of your logbook to record time. Any sim time needs to include the nature of the exercise carried out and be signed by the instructor. I'd say that on this occasion you can't log the 777 time.

worzel

foghorn
22nd Jul 2002, 08:16
You can log what you want to, however it doesn't mean it can be counted towards your total time.

Sim time is not counted towards Total Time.

Therefore, as worzel says, sim time is only meaningful if it is a part of a course or a test.

ETOPS773
22nd Jul 2002, 08:33
foghorn / worzel ,cheers for the info :)

The man formerly known as
22nd Jul 2002, 12:11
Its pretty much unloggable although great fun. Also would you want to let on to the guy who does your sim check for the airline that you had loads of hours of sim time anyway. He might cut you a bit more slack if he still thinks the biggest thing you've sat in is a 152.

I've got to ask, is there any chance of anyone else going??

Airbus A320
22nd Jul 2002, 18:26
Good for you ETOPS. I have had a couple of sessions in the Airbus A320 sim, and I've logged all 5 hours, and had both sessions countersigned in my log-book by the instructor. As for 'cutting it' as the honourable person above puts it, I don't think you should have too many problems, as long as you know the basics of ILS approaches, etc, just watch out for the speed. Best of luck mate.

Cheers

mutt
23rd Jul 2002, 03:51
ETOPS773,

As you are flying the simulator with an "simulator engineer", the answer is NO. This person may be one of the best 777 pilots in the world, but unfortunately he is not qualified to instruct in the simulator.

Just go along and enjoy the ride.

Mutt

SKYYACHT
24th Jul 2002, 15:23
ETOPS 773 - As your PPL is only valid for aircraft up to 5700kg certified for single crew operations, the I offer you two points. As stated before, a sim engineer is not qualified to sign off flight training, (This has to be done by a Synthetic Flight Instructor/TRI or TRE ) and as the B777 is a) over the weight classification, and b) a two crew aircraft, then I regret that you are unable to log the time officially, for any hours consideration. However, write it into the logbook, for the memeory, and the experience. There is nothing to stop you doing that, and even getting it signed off by the engineer too. Just that its un-countable.

ETOPS773
25th Jul 2002, 08:48
Yeah,well got 2 3/4 jours in the 777 sim last night.Was absolutely fantastic.

Took off from Gatwick,did a circuit and landed (thankfully nobody saw it ;) ,came in a tweeny bit fast and shallow,some would argue i should have used more flap...)
Then went to the USA and me and the engineer went through ILS approaches and it was simply amazing,went to JFK,we programmed the autopilot to intercept the glide slope,and sure enough,went down spot on and hit the runway beautifally!!
Doing it manually is quite hard but I managed to pull it off second try,just a case of balancing the throttle,making small movements of the yoke,not chasing the needles and doing a quick scan every 5-6 seconds.Must add the 777 is very good in terms of height perspective on landing,when I jumpseated on a A340 it felt like the plane was on stilts when we touched down (Chicago).
Simulators are amazing,the daytime graphics aren`t impressive at all,but the night time ones are great,the twinkling effect of the distant lights is so real,and the sounds...I want them so badly in my C150!!,and I also liked the little random bumps when taxying along to 26L..nice little touch.And the take off "lerch"..the feeling you get when full power is applied and on take off run,feels like the plane is running along with its nose up,is well mimiced too.
You know that siren when you leave the parking brake on and advance the throttles too far,that sounds great.
Engine sounds are pretty slick aswell.
Although I was no maverick,I didn`t honestly find it difficult to control,things go a bit weird when you do a steep bank on base and you see your airspeed bleed off and think sh!t.The last hour it felt really natural,you just think ahead of yourself all the time.
Hardly need to say this but the motion really does make you feel like your really there,keeps you awake when as I said earlier you keel right over on base and you feel yourself skidding and slowing at the same time..then I discovered the rudder pedals :D
And as the engineer had plenty of practice,he showed me a crab landing,coming in at 45 degrees to the runway,but keeping it straight if you know what I mean,and when you hit the deck,the swing and kickback from the motion is funny aswell.

Anyway,back to the boring world..anyone who thinks the airliners are robotic and the pilot has nothing to do,and a limited role,you are so wrong.
If any wannabe ever gets a chance,give it a go,will love it!
Now who operates B777-300s???..must prepare my CV :p

worzel
25th Jul 2002, 20:07
ETOPS773

Sounds like you had a great time, ......but, the thing we all want to know is, are you going to log it or not?

worzel

ETOPS773
25th Jul 2002, 21:51
No i`m not,as everyone above mentioned is would have to..be a structured lesson with an instructor which it certainly wasn`t.

But,got the details for future reference...I think i`ll be more of a wolf in sheeps clothing next time!!

Thanks for all the help fellas.

ETOPS