PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Garmin G1000 Experience?

Vitek
22nd Feb 2018, 08:07
Good time of day ladies and gents.

Seeing if anyone can help me out on a little G1000 problem I've run into.

C182T, 2006, non-WAAS.

The HDG indication on the PFD is INOP (red X through it) when the in the air. This is because we disconnected the magnetometer (located in the left wing) because when it is connected, there is a disagreement and the entire attitude indication on the PFD becomes INOP because the magnetometer is feeding bad info to the PFD.

We are working on figuring out whether if is a hardware issue with the magnetometer or a software issue where but this is taking time due to myself and the aircraft being in the middle of Africa.

Now to get to the question: Is it possible to get the system to accept HDG data from the GPS and not the magnetometer? When the aicraft is on the ground and taxiing, it gives a HDG indication, obviously from the GPS. When you are on the takeoff roll, it becomes INOP.

Any help would be appreciated!

custardpsc
22nd Feb 2018, 09:15
One way to investigate the magnetometer would be to run the installation survey software on a laptop connected to it - that would tell you if it was providing output. I wouldn't recommend waving a magnet close to it to make it respond but you should be able to see output anyway. Probably towing the a/c in a circle would be plenty enough to see output vary anyway. Its just a serial port connection.

have a look towards the end of this doc to seee what I mean

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01051-00_B.pdf

But if it is the attitude indicator, wouldn't it be more likely that the AHRS was at fault. There isn't much to go wrong in a magnetometer. I would hazard a guess that the magnetometer speaks the truth.

I think it unlikely that you could use GPS as a source of HDG. In fact, wouldn't it show only track made good? ( no drift angle on the ground...) how can it tell heading?

Vitek
26th Feb 2018, 09:13
One way to investigate the magnetometer would be to run the installation survey software on a laptop connected to it - that would tell you if it was providing output. I wouldn't recommend waving a magnet close to it to make it respond but you should be able to see output anyway. Probably towing the a/c in a circle would be plenty enough to see output vary anyway. Its just a serial port connection.

have a look towards the end of this doc to seee what I mean

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01051-00_B.pdf

But if it is the attitude indicator, wouldn't it be more likely that the AHRS was at fault. There isn't much to go wrong in a magnetometer. I would hazard a guess that the magnetometer speaks the truth.

I think it unlikely that you could use GPS as a source of HDG. In fact, wouldn't it show only track made good? ( no drift angle on the ground...) how can it tell heading?

Thanks for the reply!

Your link doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

I'll actually go into a little more detail about how the problem occured.

When the aircraft was being ferried to us, in Italy, the MFD died it was replaced with an overhauled unit from Garmin, but when they were connecting the new MFD, they used some incorrect system SD card and thats when the problems started. The Attitude indication got a nice X through it. These clowns then flew on the standby attitude indicator to us over half of Africa in the middle of nowhere when they could have at least resolved the issue, being in Italy and all.

Anyhow, we played around with it and realised that by physically disconnecting the magnetometer we would at least get an attitude indication on the PFD. Obviously we have no HDG indication and the 140 autopilot only operates in ROLL mode.

In your professional opinion, does this look like a software issue to you? A simple disagreement between the PFD, AHRS and Magnetometer? And you said it is possible to verify by plugging a laptop and seeing what readings the magnetometer is giving out?

orion1210
27th Feb 2018, 16:52
Try a full software load IAW the approved data before looking further. Generally fixes the majority of unintentional maintenance induced errors from previous member software loads across G1000, G3000 & G5000 suites.

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes in Garmin displays other than graphical display. A bad load at installation, or a load with the wrong options or unique config code can cause a whole host of issues.

Good luck

avogadro
28th Feb 2018, 08:41
Try a full software load IAW the approved data before looking further. Generally fixes the majority of unintentional maintenance induced errors from previous member software loads across G1000, G3000 & G5000 suites.

There's a lot more gong on behind the scenes in Garmin displays other than graphical display. A bad load at installation, or a load with the wrong options or unique config code can cause a whole host of issues.

Good luck

I am highly interested in this thread. I have just leased from Angola a CESNA 208B equipped with GARMIN 1000 avionics. I am enjoying the aircraft. Because it is only 400 flight hours. My concern is where can I have an MRO, or an AMO for my maintenance ? Africa as usual is a problem.
Could you help giving us any repair station in Europe?

Vitek
5th Mar 2018, 08:16

There's a lot more gong on behind the scenes in Garmin displays other than graphical display. A bad load at installation, or a load with the wrong options or unique config code can cause a whole host of issues.

Good luck

Thanks! Will try that tomorrow. It's getting quite annoying flying IFR without Heading data:}

Vitek
5th Mar 2018, 08:27
I am highly interested in this thread. I have just leased from Angola a CESNA 208B equipped with GARMIN 1000 avionics. I am enjoying the aircraft. Because it is only 400 flight hours. My concern is where can I have an MRO, or an AMO for my maintenance ? Africa as usual is a problem.
Could you help giving us any repair station in Europe?

Well as a pilot I do really appreciate the situational awareness the G1000 provides, especially since I am in a place where there are absolutely no navaids that are operational and constantly experience rapidly changing weather.

I am not an engineer, I am a pilot so take my advice with a grain of salt here. Even though you are in Angola, which is much more developed than where I am, Central African Republic, my advice to you is to read up on any information on the system and be prepared to do everything yourself up to the point the thing physically breaks down on you. I mean here we are using local technicians to service the aircraft, but nobody has any clue or past experience with the G1000, so guess who's shoulders any problems with the system fall upon?

You have it better though being in Angola, when the aircraft arrived here with it's major issues, I spent a good 3 hours on WatsApp and ****ty internet sitting in the left seat doing step by step procedures with a guy in Russia that services the bloody thing.

Good luck, you won't need it as much as I!:ok: