PDA

View Full Version : Typical notice period

Okavango
22nd Feb 2018, 06:51
I'd appreciate a quick heads up on typically acceptable notice periods on any offer of employment? Do most airlines plan to allow for resignation notice periods of 3 months+ or will they want immediate appointments and it will be to your detriment if you're not immediately available? I'm thinking more of the initial transition from ground based jobs (particularly where I have golden handcuffs and can't just walk out!) to aircrew. GA I know well and works on being in the know and ready to go when the opportunity allows, however for me that is just occasional and part time.

VJW
22nd Feb 2018, 07:20
Unless your new employer is TAP.

EAM
22nd Feb 2018, 09:15
Most companies expect you to start on Monday, but once you leave they want you to respect their notice period. :E

If they can´t accept that you have a contract with your current employer and that you respect that contract and the notice period same as you will respect their contract, then it might just be the wrong company.

GKOC41
22nd Feb 2018, 14:49
Chap at previous life bust his notice period. Co Ex MD knew New Airline MD
Chap was expecting to go on big shinny widebody, ended up on small shinny narrowbody

midnightcity
22nd Feb 2018, 18:16
3 months period as well.

If they can´t accept that you have a contract with your current employer and that you respect that contract and the notice period same as you will respect their contract, then it might just be the wrong company.

+1 EAM

speedbird787
4th Mar 2018, 03:39
In India we have one year

ZFT
4th Mar 2018, 05:12
Notice periods are contractual and should be respected. It's your reputation after all and that goes with you everywhere.

I'm currently 6 weeks into a 6 months notice period and there is no way I would ever consider screwing my current employer around. Respect is two way street.

Landflap
4th Mar 2018, 08:52
ZFT ; So why do some pretty respected, major Operators , expect you to start yesterday but demand you respect their notice period ? Nothing two- way about that.

ZFT
4th Mar 2018, 10:52
ZFT ; So why do some pretty respected, major Operators , expect you to start yesterday but demand you respect their notice period ? Nothing two- way about that.

You don't have to meet their expectations and if they don't respect you for honouring your obligations. I would not want to work for them anyway!

back to Boeing
4th Mar 2018, 15:01
At the same time you can negotiate a shorter notice period. Both airlines I’ve left I’ve been given shorter notice than my official notice periods. I was open with my managers and asked them if they were willing to consider shorter than I was contractually obliged to honour. Both times my managers were happy to let me go early. I guess it depends on how you approach it.

Conversely (Under EU law) anything over one month could be considered a restrictive practice and against the principles of freedom of movement. I wouldn’t want to be the one to test it though.