PDA

View Full Version : Who is responsible? Tree sap + bird droppings onto car - Managed car park

TangoAlphad
21st Feb 2018, 17:24
Long story short moved into a new property which is a collection of flats managed by a company with a secure residential car park in the south of England. Communal areas and parking/garden etc all maintained by service fee's to the managing company.

My designated space is under a tree which has large branches over growing my space so daily the car is getting covered in tree sap and large amounts of bird droppings. I've approached the company about A) swapping my space with the designated visitor spaces which is nowhere near the tree or B) they need to cut it right back.

They seemed very dismissive and I'm struggling to get anything out of them.. does anyone have any experience in this? Are they liable to sort something? I've tried the usual buzz words of managed car park.. responsible.. damage to my paintwork etc..

Many thanks in advance..

ExXB
21st Feb 2018, 18:30
Hire a lawyer.

B2N2
21st Feb 2018, 18:33
swapping my space with the designated visitor spaces which is nowhere near the tree

Any chance of just parking in a visitor spot?

*least amount of sarcasm I can muster.....:rolleyes:

sitigeltfel
21st Feb 2018, 18:44
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8kunHFd1PQ

TangoAlphad
21st Feb 2018, 18:50
Any chance of just parking in a visitor spot?

*least amount of sarcasm I can muster.....:rolleyes:

They are numbered and they use those barstewards UK CPM to ticket cars who aren't conforming to the rules. One tried to ticket me for being in own space and not displaying the permit correctly... beyond belief.

lomapaseo
21st Feb 2018, 18:56
I suppose you can cut slashess in the tree trunk up high (like a rubber tree), so as to drain the sap at that location without attracting attention.

As to the birds, how about painting your car top white to blend

Bob Lenahan
21st Feb 2018, 20:14
I'd think a lawyer would write them a letter asking for some damages, a change, and settle it
Bob.

SMT Member
21st Feb 2018, 20:23
Jesus! You want to cut down a tree and call in the lawyers because birds defecate and trees leak juice? Seriously?

Solve your own problem by getting a bloody tarpaulin and drape it over your beloved motorised carriage. Takes a minute or two, work that into your schedule and get on with life. Seriously!

Espada III
21st Feb 2018, 20:30
As a director of a company that manages blocks of flats and such like, my advice is that you need to read your lease. It should say something like you are entitled to "quiet enjoyment" and your enjoyment is not "quiet" because your car is being damaged.

Also threaten them with a meeting of all lessees to agree to set up a Right to Manage company; this will deprive them of their instruction and fees. So they should sit up and listen. Finally check if they are members of the RICS or ARMA (Association of Residential Managing Agents) and ask for a copy of their Complaints Handling Procedure.....Then complain and escalate it.

I can think of only a few reasons why they have not done as you ask other than they CBA (Can't Be Arsed). These are a lack of funds in the kitty, the tree is protected in some way or the chairman or representative of the residents doesn't want it to happen.

TangoAlphad
21st Feb 2018, 20:33
And the wife needs to remove the tarpaulin with baby in hand when I'm away isn't going to happen.. the tarpaulin will mysteriously disappear.

Point is property is absurdly overpriced in this part of the world so if I'm spending the money I am I don't want my nice car being damaged and need cleaned daily. Sap and bird shit burn paintwork.

I think wanting the overhanging branches removed is hardly outrageous.

Chronus
21st Feb 2018, 20:35
Hire a lawyer.

I`d have thought buying a chain saw and a shot gun would work out a lot less.

TangoAlphad
21st Feb 2018, 20:35
Cheers Espada,

I'll contact tomorrow and initially seek the complaints procedure/other info and see if that jolts things along.

TangoAlphad
21st Feb 2018, 20:36
I`d have thought buying a chain saw and a shot gun would work out a lot less.

I'd agree although I fear the neighbours/police may disagree... ;)

TopBunk
21st Feb 2018, 20:47
A chainsaw would obviate the need for the shotgun

Lantern10
21st Feb 2018, 20:56
Get a decent re-chargeable drill, some 50/50 Roundup and water. Drill half a dozen holes around the bottom of said tree at about 45 deg. Fill with the mix and just wait a few months.

TangoAlphad
21st Feb 2018, 21:07
I don't want the tree removed, it is actually quite a nice feature and I'd loathe to cut down trees etc unnecessarily. I just want it cut back a bit so it isn't over my car.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Feb 2018, 21:12
Are they liable to sort something?
Your normal due diligence before moving in would have identified the allocated parking space, your site visit would have spotted the tree, your general experience of life would have told you about the sap and the birds.

So "no" would be my guess. Plus, nobody wants their picture to appear in the local rag under a "chainsaw massacre" headline, believe me.

ELondonPax
21st Feb 2018, 21:13
One complication that you need to investigate is whether the tree(s) is / are subject to a TPO (tree preservation order). Many mature trees in home counties will be subject to a TPO.
If you have an unhelpful and unresponsive management company, keep records of every interaction with them. If you are forced into the legal route, you'll need every piece of evidence you can get.
The other side of this, and forgive me for being so blunt, is how much are you playing in service fee? I'm an owner Director of the residents management company for the development where I live and we go to great lengths to keep service fee to a minimum, but the quid pro quo is that we don't provide a gold plated service. We had to prune some trees in our car park last year but it took six months to organise because we wanted competitive quotes to ensure we got the work done at a fair price. If you're paying a high service fee then you should get great service but if your fees are modest you can't expect rolls royce standards.

Espada III
21st Feb 2018, 21:46
The other side of this, and forgive me for being so blunt, is how much are you playing in service fee? I'm an owner Director of the residents management company for the development where I live and we go to great lengths to keep service fee to a minimum, but the quid pro quo is that we don't provide a gold plated service. We had to prune some trees in our car park last year but it took six months to organise because we wanted competitive quotes to ensure we got the work done at a fair price. If you're paying a high service fee then you should get great service but if your fees are modest you can't expect rolls royce standards.

Correct, but persumably if the OP lived in your block he would have been told why it couldn't happen or why there was a delay. In this case he is being given the bum's rush, so he is right to complain.

Espada III
21st Feb 2018, 21:47
PS - and don't take matters into your own hand TA, you will get found out by a busybody and have the pants sued off you.

Mr Optimistic
21st Feb 2018, 21:52
Yeah, don't resort to vandalism. Are all spaces taken, none spare? Is there a visitor spot that could be redesignated? People, including local councils, can get funny over trees.

cargosales
21st Feb 2018, 23:34
I don't want the tree removed, it is actually quite a nice feature and I'd loathe to cut down trees etc unnecessarily. I just want it cut back a bit so it isn't over my car.

If it's a nice tree then I agree. But what's wrong with removing overhanging branches?

Hey, why not just dress up in an orange jacket and pretend to be a 'tree surgeon' whilst removing the offending branches?? If you look the part these days than no-one will even bat an eyelid :ugh:

B Fraser
22nd Feb 2018, 09:14
Post a few official looking notices warning of planned tree surgeon work on a given date. Get a mate to turn up a day early and do the job just to be on the safe side. If any residents see the work being done, they will ignore it. Job done.

ATNotts
22nd Feb 2018, 09:42
Long story short moved into a new property which is a collection of flats managed by a company with a secure residential car park in the south of England. Communal areas and parking/garden etc all maintained by service fee's to the managing company.

My designated space is under a tree which has large branches over growing my space so daily the car is getting covered in tree sap and large amounts of bird droppings. I've approached the company about A) swapping my space with the designated visitor spaces which is nowhere near the tree or B) they need to cut it right back.

They seemed very dismissive and I'm struggling to get anything out of them.. does anyone have any experience in this? Are they liable to sort something? I've tried the usual buzz words of managed car park.. responsible.. damage to my paintwork etc..

Many thanks in advance..

Oh dear, how sad, never mind!!

Yes, it's irritating, but we live on a planet where trees grow. Perhaps moving to Mars or the Moon might help your cause is a bit of guano on your car is really that much of a threat to your quality of life.

Espada III
22nd Feb 2018, 10:38
Oh dear, how sad, never mind!!

Yes, it's irritating, but we live on a planet where trees grow. Perhaps moving to Mars or the Moon might help your cause is a bit of guano on your car is really that much of a threat to your quality of life.

That is rather unfair and unpleasant. All he wants is equal treatment to his fellow lessees. I suspect if the whole car park had that problem, it would be sorted by now.

G-CPTN
22nd Feb 2018, 11:16
There are two distinct unwanted effects.
The sap is probably from a lime or sycamore tree and will require a gentle solvent to remove it.
Bird droppings will etch into the clearcoat of the paintwork if allowed to remain for any length of time.

TangoAlphad
22nd Feb 2018, 11:53
Thanks Espada,

Your suggested course of questioning has triggered a tree surgeon to be booked.

Thanks for the helpful comments... for the rest of you.. well.. this is pprune. What more can one expect..

krismiler
22nd Feb 2018, 12:06
IIRC You can remove branches which overhang onto your property from a tree which is located on a neighbouring property.

PDR1
22nd Feb 2018, 12:26
Provided it is not the subject of a TPO. But in this case it would depend on whether the parking space is "owned" by the leasee or whether it (and perhaps the tree) are "owned" by the landlord with permitted use by the leasee. You'd need a lawyer to establish that from the lease documents.

But I feel your pain. In my house our telephone cable is an overhead cable that crosses the drive, and pigeons used to sit on it and crap all over my car. If I left it more than 2-3 days the clearcoat was damaged, so essentially every morning I had to wash the car to prevent damage. So I contacted the phone company and muttered darkly about a "large repair bill fpor paintwork damage" and they finally agreed to put the spikey stuff on the cable where it crossed my drive. And I used to have a similar problem with tree-sap dropping off the leaves of a TPO'd tree wich was an absolute swine to clean off, but the 1987 hurricane sorted that one out...

PDR

gemma10
22nd Feb 2018, 12:27
Had a similar problem in Spain last year whereby my parking space allocated was under a bush. The next day to my horror the car was covered in purple juice which had been ejaculated from oval shaped purple berries. Advised the front office that if they wished me to keep paying for a parking space then they had better find me another one. A simple courteous explanation was all that was required, and I was offered another space, albeit a further hundred yards away.

Espada III
22nd Feb 2018, 19:45
Glad my advice worked. I'll take a virtual double Laphroaig 15 year if you don't mind. 😁

Chronus
22nd Feb 2018, 20:06
Thanks Espada,

Your suggested course of questioning has triggered a tree surgeon to be booked.

Thanks for the helpful comments... for the rest of you.. well.. this is pprune. What more can one expect..

That deals with the sap. What about the pigeon poo. If they have no branches to sit on to have a crap, they will work of roofs and keep the delivery going. Still think best option is a 12g shotgun. You can keep it down your trouser leg and if ever asked, say you have just returned from Pyeongchang with a gammy leg and you have a splint on it.