PDA

View Full Version : RIP Billy Graham

Fareastdriver
21st Feb 2018, 15:35
Faded from the scene but well known during the sixties and seventies.

Could be the most disappointed person in the world today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43142263

treadigraph
21st Feb 2018, 16:31
Well he got to 99, so either god was keeping him at arm's length or he was doing something right. Did he run a biz jet like some of those TV evangelists like the Bakkerest?

DaveReidUK
21st Feb 2018, 17:17
BBC reporting that the Queen will be sending a private message of condolence to his family, which speaks volumes about the regard in which he was held.

2 sheds
21st Feb 2018, 18:05
Speaks volumes for the bullsh!t image he created, more like.

2 s

DaveReidUK
21st Feb 2018, 18:27
Speaks volumes for the bullsh!t image he created, more like.

Whatever you think of the Queen, she is a pretty shrewd judge of character.

She met Graham on multiple occasions, and I'd place rather more credence on her view of what he was really like than on yours.

vapilot2004
21st Feb 2018, 18:34
The main thing I can say about Reverend Graham is that he was no Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell, in that he did not support divisive groups like the Moral Majority. Prior to that, Graham went against many of his contemporaries on civil rights, was a friend of Dr. Martin Luther King, and even bailed the man out of jail once. As religious leaders go, Rev Graham was not too bad in the area of hypocrisy.

His son Franklin, on the other (sanctimonious) hand, is one of the top evangelicals that supported Donald Trump, and was the earliest adopter of giving the president a "mulligan" for his numerous, alleged affairs, clearly illustrating the dichotomy that exists in the evangelical community between moral "Christian" beliefs and immoral political stances.

ShyTorque
21st Feb 2018, 19:00
He went on a bit though, didn't he?

Never convinced me to become unagnostic, in any case.

Jetex_Jim
21st Feb 2018, 19:07
Whatever you think of the Queen, she is a pretty shrewd judge of character.

Really, weren't the royals fans of a certain James Saville also?

galaxy flyer
21st Feb 2018, 20:09
MLK is quoted as saying the Billy Graham, “you take the stadiums; I’ll take the streets.”

GF

jack11111
21st Feb 2018, 20:58
A really fine "stand up" preacher. We need more like him. Good on you, Billy.

Windy Militant
21st Feb 2018, 21:16
He might have known everything about religion, but he knew **** all about shark fishing!
As Dave Allen used to say "may his god go with him."

G-CPTN
21st Feb 2018, 21:18
When BG preached to the assembled hordes, did he charge for entry - or did he invite voluntary contributions?

BG's relationship with Queen Elizabeth II (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham#Relationship_with_Queen_Elizabeth_II_of_the_Uni ted_Kingdom).

Bergerie1
22nd Feb 2018, 06:25
Billy Graham may well have been a good man but, would others agree that more harm has been done in the name of religion than from any other cause? And is still being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nAos1M-_Ts

I16
22nd Feb 2018, 09:06
Early 1969 we were on our honeymoon at Lake Wanaka NZ staying at Tourist Corp Hotel.
Late down for breakfast [again] we saw Billy G sitting very close to our table. His man was reading out stories from the Otago Daily Times and BG in a loud voice would make some comments. Then he would go back to eating away as we all waited for the next outburst. I thought what a great way to start the day - someone reading the morning paper to you.
Just remembered this tonight!

Tankertrashnav
22nd Feb 2018, 09:37
Never ending argument Bergerie, but ultimately a futile one.

No good citing the crusades, and every other religious war since, as somebody will just come back at you with Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung and Stalin - all leaders of brutal atheistic regimes.

People don't kill each other because they are members of a religion, or because they are atheists. They kill each other because they are human beings - it's what we do.

If we are honest a large number of us on this forum have made our livings out of the fact that we just can't stop killing each other - for whatever reason.

Personally I was always totally unmoved by Billy Graham's style of evangelising, but I don't see that he did any harm.

teeteringhead
22nd Feb 2018, 09:51
Top post TTN!

2 sheds
22nd Feb 2018, 11:32
People don't kill each other because they are members of a religion, or because they are atheists. They kill each other because they are human beings - it's what we do.

Surely some of the religious ones do do it because of the religion, i.e. the religion is the catalyst?

2 s

Curious Pax
22nd Feb 2018, 14:41
Surely some of the religious ones do do it because of the religion, i.e. the religion is the catalyst?

2 s

Largely excuse rather than catalyst I would say.

Hydromet
23rd Feb 2018, 00:19
TTN, you've summed up my feelings about him. While I don't share his religious beliefs, he was, I think, basically harmless and more or less honest. He was probably more a force for good than evil, unlike some of his preaching bretheren.

CP, you stole my words.

megan
23rd Feb 2018, 12:14
She met Graham on multiple occasionsHad an informal relationship with the Queen, received an Honorary Knighthood.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Feb 2018, 23:06
Received an honorary KBE in 2001.

bcgallacher
24th Feb 2018, 04:23
A more likeable member of the 'give me ten percent of your income and i will get you into the kingdom of heaven' American evangelist brigade.