PDA

View Full Version : Pacific crossing States to Hawaii to Japan advice

GLF74
21st Feb 2018, 13:23
Hello all

Just looking for any useful tips, suggestions and advice on a possible trip flying a 604 from Colorado to Hawaii to Japan? Never gone west of San Diego or east of China so a whole new adventure! Many thanks in advance.

galaxy flyer
22nd Feb 2018, 11:57
Why thru Hawaii? Much easier thru ANC.

GF

GLF74
22nd Feb 2018, 14:26
Agreed galaxy flyer, but its all part of the holiday!

galaxy flyer
22nd Feb 2018, 15:39
I see. California to HI is a five-hour ish piece of cake despite the distance. Weather is usually pretty amenable enroute, high level winds might be strong to about the mid-point. You might check ETP fuels out of CO airports, as it might be a factor in the 604, if their are strong jet level winds. No oceanic clearance needed. The tracks are fixed airways; the waypoints on each airway all begin in the same letter, there’s the “A”; “B”; “C”, etc. Usually no traffic problems enroute or at the Hawaiian airports. Honolulu is touristy, Kauai is beautiful, Maui is, too but more populated. HF or CPDLC all the way out. I’ve only used HF; ATC will send you over to SFO ARINC at oceanic entry. We had good luck with Castle and Cooke at PHNL and Air Service Hawaii at Maui. We were Marrioott fans.

If you go to Honolulu, Pearl Harbor in the morning; then North Shore in the afternoon. Haliewa for lunch, stop by Dilligham for a sailplane ride or watch the surfing at Waimea Bay.

West of Hawaii, I haven’t done in a number of years and then in planes with more range. Direct TYO is 3,400nm, so marginal in a 604 With a dry footprint. I don’t know if Midway is available for tech stop, but it’s perfect, if it is. Caution: Birds! Migrating Albatrosses, Nov-Jun

I’ve only flown corporate aircraft into Kansai—expensive, but superb handling. My company did use Nagoya and Chitose without problems except expense.

Your flight planner should be able to help with routing

http://www.airnav.com/airport/PMDY

GF

C152gal
22nd Feb 2018, 18:44
No WWII bomber pilots around here to tell us the best route Hawaii-Japan?

galaxy flyer
22nd Feb 2018, 21:53
The only way to shorten the legs is Hawaii-Majuro, Majuro—Guam, Guam-Japan. The longest leg is 2,100nm to Majuro. Overnight and easy airline access to Guam.

GF

TWOTBAGS
23rd Feb 2018, 00:55
Galaxy Flyer is on the money, i've done this a few times, we used Saipan not Guam, its easier.
The only caution with Saipan is late at night there is a flock of light aircraft doing night sight seeing I kid you not last time we went in there late as a fuel transit.

GLF74
23rd Feb 2018, 16:47
Great info and many thanks for the ideas. Will put it to the powers that be and see where the adventure goes!
Have a great weekend.