PDA

View Full Version : Information and opinion seeking

one day soon
21st Feb 2018, 11:06
Hi all

As per title I'm just trying to gather current information with regards south east Asia jobs.

I do realise there's lots of threads already but most seem to be arguments about China, complaints about agencies, etc.... all very valid but difficult to sieve through in one lifetime.

So....
If you were male sfo, 5000+ hrs a320, no family or ties, where would you apply and why?
Pay? Quality of life? Promotions? Etc

Here's the catches... not China (yet! Been warned against rhs), not Korea, prefer somewhere with other expats to help settle in, prefer not longhaul.

I realise there will be lots of negative comments etc and this isn't my only option I'm just the kind of person who likes back up options and details

Thanks in advance

Iznogood
21st Feb 2018, 12:11
https://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401475574/a320-321-senior-first-officers-to-upgrade-to-captain-for-jetstar-pacific-airlines/

one day soon
21st Feb 2018, 12:43
Thanks Iznogood.... maybe I didn't explain myself well enough, I'm not asking what jobs are available. I was asking what people's opinions are on the available jobs and therefore what they would choose

HH Chan
21st Feb 2018, 13:38
Thanks Iznogood.... maybe I didn't explain myself well enough, I'm not asking what jobs are available. I was asking what people's opinions are on the available jobs and therefore what they would choose

Opinons? wow..tats opening a can of worms

one day soon
21st Feb 2018, 18:15
Haha you are quite right

I realise the chances are that it will degrade into disputes but "if you don't ask, you don't learn".

pezetaroi
22nd Feb 2018, 04:58
sfo? I would strongly recommend you work your upgrade in your home country and then venture out...

Switchbait
22nd Feb 2018, 05:47
sfo? I would strongly recommend you work your upgrade in your home country and then venture out...

Sound advice.

I’m all for adventure, and fortune favours the brave.... but, take the above advice if you can.

one day soon
22nd Feb 2018, 07:51

I absolutely agree and that is indeed my plan A
But due to personal circumstances it may not be a possible option, so as I said I'm just trying to gather information for a plan B... actually it's probably plane D or E

iggy
22nd Feb 2018, 08:34
Just my two cents after many years in Asia, the term sfo doesn't really belong here. It is just bait to attract expat FO's when they are needed. You can arrive as sfo and leave after years as an obsoletefo. Don't follow any ad that promises a fast track, particularly the one posted previously.

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Feb 2018, 10:42
If you're a SFO with 5000 hours A320, then the only reason you should come out east is if you're unemployed, or you have absolutely zero hope of command at your current outfit for whatever reason. Otherwise just wait

The culture out here is much easier if you're a captain, and so many episodes of the expat FO being hung out to dry because a local captain screwed up

one day soon
22nd Feb 2018, 21:37
Just my two cents after many years in Asia, the term sfo doesn't really belong here. It is just bait to attract expat FO's when they are needed. You can arrive as sfo and leave after years as an obsoletefo. Don't follow any ad that promises a fast track, particularly the one posted previously.

Thanks iggy, I understand the false promises and I too would also be suspicious of fast track statements.

one day soon
22nd Feb 2018, 21:41
If you're a SFO with 5000 hours A320, then the only reason you should come out east is if you're unemployed, or you have absolutely zero hope of command at your current outfit for whatever reason. Otherwise just wait

Thanks Luke,
Unfortunately as I said the back up planning is due to personal reasons not flying related, so the above doesn't apply.

However I do take onboard the advice about sacrificial fo's, thanks

one day soon
22nd Feb 2018, 21:44
Cathay Dragon has fairly quick upgrades at the moment for people with your type of experience. Not for the faint of heart though as they don’t give away the left seat.

I would echo the same as above though, stay where you are if you can especially if you’re at home.

Thanks for that info pilot, not enough to tempt me to go Hong Kong no matter how bad things go haha

one day soon
1st Mar 2018, 09:35
As this request seems to have run dry (I'm guessing fo's are happy where they are, getting commands first or working too hard to visit pprune), how about I vary it a bit....

Where/which airline would you recommend in South East Asia for a new captain of 500-1000hrs P1 time?
Again trying to avoid China and HK

Thanks

parabellum
2nd Mar 2018, 04:34
Where/which airline would you recommend in South East Asia for a new captain of 500-1000hrs P1 time?
Again trying to avoid China and HK

As a new captain you are in direct competition with the local Nationals of the country your airline is based. Some airlines will have an agreement with their pilots representatives that any expat brought in will have more experience than the most senior National F/O. China is one place where this may not apply due to chronic pilot shortage and one place a low hours captain may find employment. Not what you wanted to hear.

Fratemate
2nd Mar 2018, 05:24
No China, no Korea, no Hong Kong, presumably no Taiwan (due to Chinese similarities). You're basically left with Indonesia, Phillipines, Vietnam or Japan. Of all of those there's only one worth looking at in my opinion, although a different one would be a LOT of fun as a single bloke. Read the Air Japan thread and see if that suits you.

one day soon
1st Apr 2018, 18:54
Hi parabellum

I would of thought 6000hrs on a320 would be more than most Asian fos but thanks for the info as I had no idea about that rule.

one day soon
1st Apr 2018, 18:56
Hi fratemate

Actually Taiwan may be interesting, the only reason I said no China is because I didn't want the topic to be overrun with arguments of which Chinese airline is worst!

I'll definitely take a look at air Japan, thanks