PDA

View Full Version : holding speed in australia

wingtip777
21st Jul 2002, 21:42
hello all!
once i looked at the book, i find there are two kind of holding speed in australia: one is icao; one is pans ops. so wich one should we use in real fight?
thanks to all reply!

Checkboard
22nd Jul 2002, 09:15
ICAO holding speeds were adopted Australia wide about three or four years ago.

wingtip777
22nd Jul 2002, 09:45
thank you very much! so what is the pans ops speed in that route book for?

OzExpat
22nd Jul 2002, 10:54
wingtip777 ... I suspect that to be a good question to ask CASA. Good luck! :eek:

LeadSled
22nd Jul 2002, 12:31
Wintip777,

You will find the Australian AIP online at the Airservices Australia web site, it will be in there.

Don't waste your time with CASA,

If you are a pilot and flying IFR in Australian airspace, and ask CASA a question like that, you will probably cop an "on the spot" ticket, their latest in " CASA's armory of compliance and enforcement weapons" this being a quote form a “very senior officer of CASA” in a public statement.

Because you are supposed to know.

In fact there are a number of tables of ICAO ( Pans-Ops-- Procedures for air navigation services-operations) holding speeds, if you use Jep. manuals it is all in the Worldwide Text, in the "200 series pages" under the Air Traffic Control tab.

From memory, Australia is Pans-Ops 8168, Vol. 11, Edition 3. Table 1, but with some limitations for Cat A and B aircraft, that will be in the Jep. Australian Differences section. (or the AIP).

Needless to say the Australian Differences section is about 3 or 4 times as long as the next nearest ICAO differences section by page count.

Have fun ???

Tootle pip !!