PDA

View Full Version : Veal Liver in Germany, 208000 euros!

charliegolf
20th Feb 2018, 18:01
Well 47 euros actually, but...

A man in Germany has been fined €208,000 (184,224) for putting expensive meat through a self-service checkout as cheaper fruit.

The man was ordered to pay the fine, which was calculated based on his income, after trying to cheat the till to avoid paying €47 for veal liver.

Munich's district court convicted the 58-year-old businessman of theft and based his hefty financial penalty on his monthly income of €24,000 (21,000).

Ouch! That'll learn him.

CG

golfbananajam
20th Feb 2018, 18:09
That'll teach him too

German fines are based on a number of days nett salary so the impact is the same irrespective of how much you earn

sitigeltfel
20th Feb 2018, 18:33
A man in Germany has been fined 208,000 (184,224) for putting expensive meat through a self-service checkout as cheaper fruit.
That is misleading. French press says it was meat and fruit and that he admitted four similar offences.

Effluent Man
20th Feb 2018, 18:38
I smell something...not sure if it's veal liver cooking...or fake news!

ExXB
20th Feb 2018, 19:51
That’s what, 72% of his annual salary! Probably more than after taxes have been paid. While I agree in principle with this way of fining crooks, this seems extreme.

ORAC
20th Feb 2018, 19:55
What an offal fine.....

treadigraph
20th Feb 2018, 20:21
I think it's veally good...

Liver 'n' learn, eh?

vapilot2004
20th Feb 2018, 20:28
I'm not a fan of liver, but have never tried calves' liver.

Here in the states it's called the banana trick. Some ethically challenged folks use the self checkouts and key in bananas, but place a similarly weighted pack of meat (or other expensive item) in the bagging area. Bananas get set aside, or go through a second time.

There have been studies of this behavior and it is believed people would never try to cheat a human checker, or steal from a person, but consider the machine fair game.

chuks
20th Feb 2018, 20:56
Here's an article from Deutsche Welle, with a link to an article from the court, in German. Germany fines man ?208,000 for stealing calf liver | News | DW | 20.02.2018 (http://www.dw.com/en/germany-fines-man-208000-for-stealing-calf-liver/a-42651516)

The guy is more some sort of crook, what the Germans call a Schlitzohr, rather than an ordinary "businessman."

He was first caught stealing a toner cartridge. Petty theft, but why?

Later he was caught hiding foreign bank accounts, when he was fined 440,000 euros, plus he was given a two-year suspended sentence.

Then he was caught faking a foreign address to avoid German tax liability, when he was banged up for 21 months, only recently being released.

With such a record, it makes no sense to risk being caught stealing groceries, since the law would be sure to deal with him severely.

How such a businessman manages to earn 24,000 euros per month is left unstated, but when you read between the lines it seems as this man is not a normal businessman. That sort of information is kept secret in Germany. In the papers it's that, for example, "Hans S." is in court, and it's almost always an image of Hans with his face hidden by something he's holding, or else it's blurred out. Even convicted criminals have a right to privacy.

lomapaseo
20th Feb 2018, 22:14
it is believed people would never try to cheat a human checker, or steal from a person, but consider the machine fair game.

Damn right, I've been screwed lots of times by machines and no way of getting even.

The other day I checked out with two of the same item plus a few others, and when I tried to return the two, with the receipt, they scanned them and said they could only refund for one. Huh? it seems that the receipt only showed one had been paid for.

mumble curse grumble

ShyTorque
20th Feb 2018, 22:56
I point blank refuse to use those infernal self service checkout machines. If they want my business, they should have the decency to help me check it out. I was at our local Tesco last week. I bypassed the self service and put my shopping on a manned till. I looked across at the self service tills; there are eight in total. Four of them had red lights showing; meaning that four customers needed assistance and there was no-one to do so.

One woman eventually stormed out, leaving all of her shopping behind at the till. Can't say I blame her. :ok:

vapilot2004
20th Feb 2018, 23:12
Lomapaseo, what's the old saying, something like, "to err is human, but it takes a computer to really foul things up".

charliegolf
20th Feb 2018, 23:20
I point blank refuse to use those infernal self service checkout machines. If they want my business, they should have the decency to help me check it out. I was at our local Tesco last week. I bypassed the self service and put my shopping on a manned till. I looked across at the self service tills; there are eight in total. Four of them had red lights showing; meaning that four customers needed assistance and there was no-one to do so.

One woman eventually stormed out, leaving all of her shopping behind at the till. Can't say I blame her. :ok:

I always use 'em. It allows me to bypass all the doddery dicks, young and old, who clog up the checkout. They faff with their wallet/purse, cards, vouchers as if they never expected to have to pay at the end. Grr.

CG