PDA

View Full Version : PPL EASA update syllabus/ hours breakdown

Sam_MHN
19th Feb 2018, 09:56
Dear fellow aviators,

I am trying to re-elaborate a flight syllabus for PPL(A), since the manuals I have are old I see it is easier to start from scratch...

I see this (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201298%20AltMOC_PPL(A).pdf)document (page 16 onwards) seems to be the most up to date but I would appreciate if you can enlighten me...

Except for the first solo does not specifiy any solo hours, can they be distributed at ones discretion?

About the duration of flights, can it be arranged freely as well, as long as you comply with limitations on your OM?

Your help is much appreciated! :ok:

Take care.

Samuel

Duchess_Driver
19th Feb 2018, 12:40
Samuel

EASA Part FCL states a minimum of 10 Hours Student solo and states 5 hours of Solo Navigation to include the 300Km(148nm) qualifying solo cross country. It is not any more specific, however, on what constitutes "Navigation".

That is the only stipulation as far as student solo for the PPL goes. It is up to the school HT/CFI to define the actual course and that could be 10 hours solo, of which 9 must be solo Navigation. Usually though, the solo is split roughly 5 hours circuits and 5 hours navigation.

Your Ops Manual should define maximum training periods for students, but again, the PPL Course manual should define how long each flight would be and what it should contain under normal circumstances (and under what conditions these can be changed)

Things are different though, for the LAPL(A).

HTH
DD

BEagle
19th Feb 2018, 13:18
The FCL.010 definition of a cross-country flight is as follows:

"Cross-country" means a flight between a point of departure and a point of arrival following a pre-planned route, using standard navigation procedures.

FCL.210.A states for the PPL:
(a) Applicants for a PPL(A) shall have completed at least 45 hours of flight instruction in aeroplanes or TMGs, 5 of which may have been completed in an FSTD, including at least:

(1) 25 hours of dual flight instruction; and
(2) 10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 5 hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross-country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM), during which full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made.

Duchess_Driver
19th Feb 2018, 14:43
Sorry, perhaps my point could have been better made... There is no definition under EASA of the distance required for each exercise to be counted as "navigation"

Whopity
19th Feb 2018, 19:07
There is no definition under EASA of the distance required for each exercise to be counted as "navigation" What has distance got to do with it? There was a reference in the UK ANO to cross country being more than 3 nm from the aerodrome however; that was for the purpose of defining the privileges of an AFI who was not permitted to authorise a first solo navigation exercise.

Duchess_Driver
19th Feb 2018, 20:40
What has distance got to do with it?

My point was that to some, leaving the ATZ (i.e. your reference to 3nm) and returning constitutes a navigation exercise and would be counted as such. To me, the definition should be at least BVR to be able to employ...

a pre-planned route, using standard navigation procedures.

Whopity
20th Feb 2018, 17:41
My point was that to some, leaving the ATZ (i.e. your reference to 3nm) and returning constitutes a navigation exercise and would be counted as such.Indeed, many did believe that, but if you read it carefully, it qualified the definition by stating this was for the purpose of defing the priviledges of an AFI. It did not consdtitute a definition of a Navigation Cross Country.

Fl1ingfrog
21st Feb 2018, 08:24
On all these things common sense is the key.

For general handling (GH) all the various T.O. and landing techniques should be taught and following, on each occasion, the student flies solo to consolidate. At the end of this circuit section the student will have accumulated 4-5 hours of solo. The point of the navigation syllabus is to teach navigation. It must be that the distance and duration covered during the lesson requires that a recognised technique is taught for the outcome to be successful. It is no good for each leg to be so short that the student can see ahead each turning point or just simply point and arrive ballistically. The student consolidates navigation by undertaking similar flights solo. By the end of this section the student will have completed a further 4-5 hours solo. Any remaining solo hours to complete the ten may be used later for skill test revision.

It may be that not all the circuit training and consolidation will have been completed, for various reasons, prior to navigation. Again common sense would underline the importance that all circuit skills are of a sufficient standard prior to solo navigation.

Common sense, common sense and common sense. A tick box is not required always.

BEagle
21st Feb 2018, 19:03
Fl1ingfrog wrote:

It may be that not all the circuit training and consolidation will have been completed, for various reasons, prior to navigation.

That is totally unacceptable to me! We required completion of circuit consolidation, as well as the safety module of solo steep turns and PFLs before students were taught navigation.

Too many RFs / ATOs / DTOs are too keen to start navigation training before the student has gained sufficient general handling skills and a basic ability to deal with emergency situations.

BigEndBob
21st Feb 2018, 21:00
My break down is 3 hours circuit solo consolidation, followed by 1 1/2- 1 3/4 solo local consolidation, before any nav is taught other than dep. and rejoins, local area map reading. Served me and my students well for last 30 years.

If you think the weather is good enough to teach nav. then it's good enough for local solo's before any nav. is taught.
Too many instructors to keen to send students solo nav., earning cash, sitting on their arse.

The CFI should not expect other instructors to have a working plan, have a standardisation meeting.
Got to admit i am guilty of not doing this and just assuming other instructors know what they are doing.
And of course some instructor don't have confidence to send student solo.

Fl1ingfrog
21st Feb 2018, 21:51
BEagle I agree with you that all GH should be completed before solo navigation. However, you are being selective when quoting me. The following sentence, which I'm sure you read, said this;

Again common sense would underline the importance that all circuit skills are of a sufficient standard prior to solo navigation.

I see nothing wrong at all to continue with dual nav when say; circuit conditions or runway availability is an issue.

BEagle
22nd Feb 2018, 07:40
Nope. Dual Nav before completion of solo circuit consolidation, PFLs, advanced turning and out-of-circuit solo PFL / advanced turning is too soon, one should plan a logical progression of dual, then solo, rather than inappropriate out of sequence dual instruction 'for something to do'.

After 2:15 solo circuits, 2:00 dual advanced turning and PFLs and 2:45 out-of-circuit solo, we did 1:00 nav intro, followed by a 1:30 dual trip dealing with operation at minimum level and/or in poor visibility culminating in precautionary landings. Then the Navigation and Radio Aids, Meteorology and Flight Performance and Planning exams.

By then the student would have flown a minimum of 20:00 dual and 5:00 solo. Only then would we start teaching triangular cross-country navigation exercises. Route 1 dual, Route 2 dual then Route 2 solo. Route 3 dual, Route 3 solo, then Route 4 as a dual progress check. Route 5 dual, then the student's first 'unseen' solo on Route 6.

Sam_MHN
24th Feb 2018, 16:12
Thanks everyone for the answers!