PDA

View Full Version : RAF Museum at it again.

NutLoose
19th Feb 2018, 09:26
1st we had the peoples pilot and now this tat to advertise their fun run

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/whats-going-on/events/spitfire-10k-2018/

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the posters as mentioned elsewhere, rather disrespectful.

http://www.airscene.co.uk/article-images/spitfire10k.jpg

Jumping_Jack
19th Feb 2018, 09:38
Not sure why you think this is disrespectful, it raises money for the RAF Charities so is worth supporting.

NutLoose
19th Feb 2018, 10:24
Don your best wartime fancy dressDid you not read that over the image, the only people in period dress are those in uniform.?

Yellow Sun
19th Feb 2018, 10:28
Our local "Frostbite" Cross Country League gets 4-500 entries all through the winter and the Park Runs even more. This sounds like a winner to me.

YS

Herod
19th Feb 2018, 10:46
As I recall, the posters were more or less the same the last two years. I ran the Cosford last year, and I'm entered for this year. Shades of South Cerney, running round a taxiway in a howling gale. The cost of putting it on must be low, compared with a road run, and last year there were 720 competitors. A good way to raise funds and, more importantly, raise the profile of the RAF.

BEagle
19th Feb 2018, 10:56
Fun Run?

Fun Run?

Surely an oxymoron....:hmm:

Herod
19th Feb 2018, 11:26
BEagle. Go to parkrun.org. 100,000+ people every Saturday morning can't all be wrong. Have a go, and let us know how you get on. 5k in 50+ minutes still gets a cheer and support.

AndoniP
19th Feb 2018, 11:39
BEagle. Go to parkrun.org. 100,000+ people every Saturday morning can't all be wrong. Have a go, and let us know how you get on. 5k in 50+ minutes still gets a cheer and support.

Depends on what you find enjoyable. I run 10k but it's boring as hell. I only do it to keep up some sort of fitness. And even then the best way to go through it is to follow the lycra clad ladies :E:ok:

Thud105
19th Feb 2018, 12:21
I'm with Beagle - an officer should never run.
It may alarm the men.

Simplythebeast
19th Feb 2018, 12:28
As a voluntary caseworker for RAFA Im pretty certain that my clients would support any initiative that enables us to provide for them in times of need. I see nothing disrespectful in the poster. In my time in the mob a sense of humour was essential.....I never lost mine but I think the OP may have done.

langleybaston
19th Feb 2018, 13:47
It may alarm the men.

Neither should he/she brandish map or compass, or a weapon.

NutLoose
19th Feb 2018, 13:59
I couldn't believe it when the RAF charged me at Swinditz to get a haircut, I hope they do not see they can make money off you for running... Imagine turning up for your annual fitness test and having to stump up twenty quid for the priviledge.

Heathrow Harry
19th Feb 2018, 14:04
Fun Run?

Fun Run?

Surely an oxymoron....:hmm:

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Herod
19th Feb 2018, 17:31
I hope they do not see they can make money off you for running.

Come on, Nutloose. This is an event open to the GENERAL PUBLIC. It's no different from the London Marathon. It gets people to a place where there are aeroplanes (remember them? Big things that fly). Family members and, once they finish, runners can go see what the RAF has done, and is still doing.

OK, I'll declare an interest. I'm a runner and also a Cosford volunteer.

NutLoose
19th Feb 2018, 17:38
I was pointing out it had been mentioned elsewhere as being disrespectable and I agreed the fancy dress part did it no favours, either way posting it has advertised it on here.

gijoe
19th Feb 2018, 17:46
It may alarm the men.

...a visit to any Mess to see straining mess kits at a dining-in night would support this.

Rigga
19th Feb 2018, 22:30
Its been 'running' a few years....not news really.