PDA

View Full Version : Be aware STOLEN GEORGE CROSS

NutLoose
17th Feb 2018, 15:25
Not something they can pass on easily, but please be aware it's been taken.

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?144479-Notice-board-Stolen-medals-etc&

From the BBMF Facebook page:

Teresa Heming

**STOLEN GEORGE CROSS**
My parents in law were burgled yesterday in Benenden Kent and the thieves took the whole safe. Inside were jewellery, credit cards, etc but also a George Cross awarded for bravery at the end of the 2nd world war along with his other medals. He was awarded it for risking his life by rescuing a priest from a bombed church. The priest gave him a large black onyx cross with a crucification of Jesus in silver which has also been taken. Its historically important and priceless to the family. The George cross is engraved with his name and so very easy to identify. I would be very grateful if all my Facebook friends could share this post. Please call me, PM me or call Ashford police station on 01622690690 to see if we can get it back. Please share, share, share. Thank you
https://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258996&d=1518793291

Basil
17th Feb 2018, 15:37
Do you know if there's a name engraved on the back of the GC or others?

Oops! Sorry - RTFQ, Bas!

NutLoose
17th Feb 2018, 15:53
The George cross is engraved with his name and so very easy to identify.

war medals probably not

MPN11
17th Feb 2018, 18:01
Likewise the QE2s, sadly.

What an awful loss. Fingers crossed.

glad rag
17th Feb 2018, 18:11
It's difficult to express "distain" for these individuals and remain the right side of a banning, so just go with the guys above and hope all the items are quickly recovered....

cargosales
17th Feb 2018, 19:12
Sadly it's likely that the scrotes had no idea what they were taking, or their sentimental or monetary value, being in a safe etc..

Much like my grandfather. His medals were only recovered because a sharp-eyed chap in a local antiques place wondered why 'youngsters' were trying to sell very specific items like that in a 'tat shop' such as his. And started asking them questions...... And then quietly called the police.....

Tankertrashnav
18th Feb 2018, 00:02
I have seen this being shared and circulated on Facebook, so it is getting a fair bit of publicity.

The George Cross is so scarce (much rarer than a Victoria Cross, although not so valuable) that it would be nigh on impossible to sell in the legitimate medal trade without quickly attracting notice. The awful possibility though is that the thieves might decide that anything is better than nothing and chuck them in with the scrap silver for the £30 odd it would get them.

Let's hope for a happy ending.

T28B
19th Feb 2018, 00:42
Dear friends, if you can spread the word vie FBook or a tweet or a phone call or email or word of mouth at the pub.

If you can in any way assist, please do. Please get the word out.

Lordflasheart
26th Feb 2018, 08:02
Report Feb 15th - Five from Thanet arrested - medal still missing.

https://localrags.co.uk/index.php/2018/2/15/five-from-thanet-arrested-but-george-cross-still-missing-after-burglary-in-biddenden/