PDA

View Full Version : Slow text on screen.

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2018, 12:09
I'm touch-typing now and it's fine. i.e. while on the pprune screen.

W10 on i5

However, FF 58.0.2 with Google as home page, text is taking an age to follow my input in say, the search box. An age is about 1 - 2 seconds, but I'm waaaaaaaaay ahead in that time.

I've just found my Word is okay, thank goodness. So is Explorer, erm Edge. So, it seems it's just doing it with FF and the Google input. Odd.

I've had it before, but just can't remember what it was. I do not have many add-ons. Almost none, and I've killed those.

Now I know it's so localized I realize I've been looking in the wrong places, but anyone know right off the cuff what it is?

jack11111
17th Feb 2018, 05:53
It's Google trying to do 'on the fly' searching. That's my guess.

FullOppositeRudder
17th Feb 2018, 06:40
This seems to be my experience also with the Google search page and also Google maps. I almost always find that if I start to type too soon (ie. normally for other programs) it misses the first keystrokes and comes to life with the first word, or the first parts thereof missing. I then have to delete and start again. You may quote me as being a little disappointed with this tiring 'feature'.

FOR

In rerum natura
17th Feb 2018, 09:35
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/7xxjvr/new_google_doodle_has_99100_gpu_usage/

It is/was the Google Doodle thrashing your GPU (particularly if integrated or old). Disable JavaScript (drastic) or disable Hardware Acceleration (easiest) or reset Firefox and use the Firefox Google homepage.

Loose rivets
18th Feb 2018, 00:41
The Google game? . . . interesting. However, it's gorn away by itself. So much so that I'd forgotten my post. :O

I looked at Task manager and tried to make it malfunction at the same time. Memory used only 2 gigs and CPU not red-lining by any means.

Way back on another mother board I'd had it happening across the board. Impossible to live with. It's astonishing how disruptive that delay is. I was looking away while I typed and then back to let it catch up. I'm so glad it's gone away.

Folk may remember my fixation with my FF opening screen. I want Google in the middle, and NOTHING else below my bookmarks, though I confess I've admired the cleverness of a couple of the games. I have failed to remove that grey two lines at the bottom.

It seems I'm getting several old-age psychotic symptoms these days.