PDA

View Full Version : Why not add airport fees to ticket price?

Eboy
21st Jul 2002, 18:21
This is a pet peeve. Long lines in Vancouver to pay $10 CAN airport development fee. Same in Montreal. Hassle to come up with 3800 Yen to pay Kansai International airport development fee ("Whoops -- just exchanged my currency!"). Why not add these development fees to the ticket price similar to how taxes and other fees are added?

PAXboy
24th Jul 2002, 19:51
I have also met this frustrating habit. Do the governement's worry that the carrier's may not give them exactly the right amount of loot? Also, by paying in cash, they have no credit card fees.

DX Wombat
24th Jul 2002, 22:31
When I first started flying to Australia I had to pay an airport tax to leave there. Some years ago the Australian government made a sensible law that all airport taxes had to be included in the price of the ticket. Since then all my airport taxes, including the UK ones have been included in the price of my ticket. :) So no more scrabbling around to find my "Escape Duty" fee. Wonderful:D

rsoman
25th Jul 2002, 03:52
Eboy
Some relief for you. Osaka Kansai is collecting the
tax on the ticket from 01April. No luck for Bangkok though as well as Vancouver/Montreal.
Cheers

DistantRumble
25th Jul 2002, 09:25
The European airlines would love to make you pay the charges yourself.
Less work for them.

Unfortunately they are barred from doing so by law.