PDA

View Full Version : "Leaking" Airbus

KelvinD
14th Feb 2018, 06:22
Why would a relatively new A321 (delivered December 2017) show signs of leaking something from a couple of doors. In the photo, you can see streaks of fluid running from the bottom right hand corners toward the tail

wub
14th Feb 2018, 06:25
De-icing fluid

KelvinD
14th Feb 2018, 06:47
wub: Thanks. At least it isn't the red wine!

PDR1
14th Feb 2018, 08:18
It's one of the trials aircraft for surface-evaporation chem-trailing.

PDR

PDR1
14th Feb 2018, 09:30
So what are they going to do - send a bunch of heavies around to arrest me?

Got to go - someone's banging on the door.

Oh, it's OK - they've let themselves in. Anyway, as I was sayi...

Chesty Morgan
14th Feb 2018, 09:55
I doubt it's de-icing fluid. More likely corrosion inhibitor from those areas.

LiamNCL
14th Feb 2018, 16:42
Looks like de-icing fluid run marks from movement in the air.

Piltdown Man
14th Feb 2018, 18:49
I too think it is de-icing fluid. Why? Corrosion inhibitor is very reluctant to become fluid and it doesn't like to move. Deicing fluid, although a similar colour is very mobile. It is designed to be so. After leaving surface that it is applied to it flow to will to the aircraft's aerodynamic quiet spots. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like.

PM

KelvinD
14th Feb 2018, 21:15
It interested me because of the origins. Each of the long streaks begins in the corner of a door. Having said that, wouldn't there be evidence of de-icing fluid running from somewhere else before accumulating at the doors?

DaveReidUK
14th Feb 2018, 21:58
It could just be the weather that passengers trail in with them when boarding in inclement conditions, making its escape once the aircraft is airborne and pressurised.

RadarContactLost
14th Feb 2018, 23:50
I've spent many years de icing aircraft and have never seen anything like this... The majority of type 4 blows off the aircraft on take off roll and doesn't remain on the surface long enough to leave a stain like that, especially that much.:confused:

Also, our type 4 was dyed green to aid in visual confirmation that the entire surface was treated.

That being said, the color reminds me of the time we had a j31 ferry flt. arrive... (I think it was a j-31 but could be wrong, happened many years ago) the FO had the squits and took a dump out the cockpit window mid flt... Unfortunately for me, I was on fueling duty that day... :*

Duchess_Driver
15th Feb 2018, 22:13
took a dump out the cockpit window mid flt

You’re sh1tt1ng me....?

(Sorry, couldn’t resist!)

RadarContactLost
16th Feb 2018, 04:27
Nope. Really happened on a ferry/relocate equipment flight...
No pax onboard, f.o. had the squits and let it go out the cockpit window...

b1lanc
17th Feb 2018, 13:52
Nope. Really happened on a ferry/relocate equipment flight...
No pax onboard, f.o. had the squits and let it go out the cockpit window...
And of course now we have the diversion due to a flatulent pax that wouldn't stop farting with a fight ensuing. Dubai to Amsterdam on Transavia. That was in the Mirror on 16 Feb.

EGPFlyer
17th Feb 2018, 16:51
I've spent many years de icing aircraft and have never seen anything like this... The majority of type 4 blows off the aircraft on take off roll and doesn't remain on the surface long enough to leave a stain like that, especially that much.:confused:

Also, our type 4 was dyed green to aid in visual confirmation that the entire surface was treated.

That being said, the color reminds me of the time we had a j31 ferry flt. arrive... (I think it was a j-31 but could be wrong, happened many years ago) the FO had the squits and took a dump out the cockpit window mid flt... Unfortunately for me, I was on fueling duty that day... :*

Type 1 is orange and is usually used for snow removal so not really surprising to see this on the fuselage.