PDA

View Full Version : RAF Displays & Formation Flypasts 1970's Call Signs.

GLIDER 33
13th Feb 2018, 22:14
Hello All

With an interest in the RAF in the 1970's which I consider were the best times. Does anyone know what Callsigns the Vulcans used on solo displays and formation flypasts including the 1977 RAF Sliver Jubilee at RAF Finningley.

Regards
Glider33

denachtenmai
14th Feb 2018, 07:53
No idea, but I know who used the callsign "Vulcan";)

Pontius Navigator
14th Feb 2018, 08:19
For Vulcan Solo I think we used our standard ATC callsign. For the Lancaster, just Lancaster.

Finningley Boy
14th Feb 2018, 09:08
Just a quick smart arse point, they didn't have a solo Vulcan on the Flying Display Programme at the Silver Jubilee air show at Finningley, they did have four, one from each of the Waddington squadron in the quick reaction scramble and three, one from each of the Scampton squadrons (minus OCU) in the 1 Group section of the flypast!:ok::8

FB:)

57mm
14th Feb 2018, 11:37
Refresher Flying Sqn at Leeming; JP formation airborne to Linton zone radar:

"Resign, check in"

"Resign 2"

"Linton zone, Resign formation, good morning"

"Station calling Linton zone, is that Resign formation?"

"Affirmative, Resign as in PVR....."

cheese bobcat
14th Feb 2018, 11:50
RFS used to have an aerobatic team sponsored by a well known manufacturer of razor blades. Later, even after the sponsorship ceased, they still used callsigns "Sword" and " Blade". We sometimes flew 3 or 4 formation sorties a day and it wasn't unknown for the leader to use the wrong callsign, when across the ether would come the helpful advice, "Come on Blade (Sword), sharpen up!"

CB

Molemot
14th Feb 2018, 12:02
During flying training at Linton in the 70s....our squadron trigraph was Foxtrot Uniform X-ray....(!) Formation callsign was "Sputum"...so we were "Sputum Yellow" or "Sputum Green"....

treadigraph
14th Feb 2018, 12:49
RFS used to have an aerobatic team sponsored by a well known manufacturer of razor blades. Later, even after the sponsorship ceased, they still used callsigns "Sword" and " Blade". We sometimes flew 3 or 4 formation sorties a day and it wasn't unknown for the leader to use the wrong callsign, when across the ether would come the helpful advice, "Come on Blade (Sword), sharpen up!"

CB

I trust there were no close shaves...

spekesoftly
14th Feb 2018, 13:07
During flying training at Linton in the 70s....our squadron trigraph was Foxtrot Uniform X-ray....(!)

Yes I may have to apologise for that! Back in the 70s Linton would periodically receive a batch of new trigraphs, and it was ATC's job to select and allocate them to the Squadrons. There was plenty of choice from the long list, so we always tried to choose the most, ahem, 'suitable' ones!

GLIDER 90
15th Feb 2018, 13:39
Afternoon All

Thanks to everyone for the reply's.

Cheers

Glider90

GLIDER 90
15th Feb 2018, 15:27
It's now Glider90.