PDA

View Full Version : Today's Outrage Bus Passenger: Nefertiti

Lonewolf_50
13th Feb 2018, 17:22
I saw this in a headline. A bust of the Ancient Egyptian Queen Nefertiti sparks outrage on social media. Many claim the rendering is whitewashed. I scratched my head.

Wasn't she partly Greek? (I am pretty sure Cleopatra was, but she came years later). I was under the impression that the Bronze Age era saw a lot of mixing among the coastal kingdoms in the Eastern half of the Mediterranean , and having read a bit about the Bronze Age collapse, 12th century BC, get the idea that we are guessing a bit as to what people looked like in those days ... if pigmentation matters.

Are the DNA experts who work archaeology and anthropology able to arrive at a melanin count for a three thousand year old corpse?

ORAC
13th Feb 2018, 18:07
Fayum Mummy Portraits (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayum_mummy_portraits).

How they saw themselves. Brings them to life as real people rather than prizes to claim.....

Lonewolf_50
14th Feb 2018, 14:32
Fayum Mummy Portraits (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayum_mummy_portraits).

How they saw themselves. Brings them to life as real people rather than prizes to claim..... IIRC, Nefertiti was from the Bronze Age, about 1200 years before the stuff you linked to. Sorry, I don't see the connection that you are making.

ORAC
14th Feb 2018, 16:19
The point I am making is that the there seems to be an urge for those in the present day to try and “claim” those who who were great in the past as their own ancestors - as if it adds, somehow, to their own worth or reduces that of others. That is true for the arguments and marches in Greece of “Macedonia” and the legacy of Alexander; Cheshire man and whether the “true” Egyptians/Greeks/Romans etc etc were white, black, Semitic, Caucasian or any particular mix you want.

They didn’t use those terms of reference and divided their races and world up differently; if you could ask them in modern terms who they were they wouldn’t have a clue what you were talking about.

The only way to understand them is to see how they portrayed themselves and how they saw themselves in the world, which consisted of different races and civilisations (Persian, Babylonian, Assyrian etc) to those which preoccupy our own, let alone skin tone.

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”

oldchina
14th Feb 2018, 19:58
Who gives a sh!t about "Social Media" ?
Ignore them and there won't be a problem.