PDA

View Full Version : KAL or Asiana

figair
12th Feb 2018, 04:08
Can anyone in one of the above mentioned airline provide some hands on experience?
I am currently considering to apply to both airlines as DEC (currently A320 rated with no Long Haul - Wide Body experience) and "IF" able to choose which one would be the best?
Thanks for your time.
FA

DesiPilot
12th Feb 2018, 09:20
Apples or Oranges?

They are two different contracts. I agree culturally it is more or less the same but the comparison stops there.

1) Housing: Are you happy to live in Seoul with your family or you prefer commuting contract and will be content with spending approximately 11 days at home and your family stays put. Do you prefer your own 3 bedroom apartment somewhere in Seoul or you prefer to check in and check out of a 5 star hotel close to the airport (read no social life.)

2) Finances : In Asiana you will join as a 321 Captain so no need to spend any additional money on type rating. However, Korean you will join as a NTR A330 captain and you will have to join with 330 TR under your belt.

3) Uniform: Would you be ok to wear brown uniform you prefer navy blue?

What Asiana offers you is completely different than Korean. May be you need to discuss it with you better half and kids (assuming you have one or two).

Good luck.

figair
13th Feb 2018, 21:29
Any more feedback? I would appreciate feedback about both airlines not necessarily a comparison.... as I can sum it up myself according to my expectations/requirements.

desertcamel
15th Feb 2018, 05:28
figair,

What is your present work environment? Because theres a lot to say when it comes to the work environment.

What Feedback are you looking for ? Assessment ? Medical ? Joining formalities ? Lifestyle? Accomodations?

I think you should ask the right question. Specially If you can sum up most of the things, you think you already know.

figair
15th Feb 2018, 08:02
Thanks desertcamel, you are right I should have asked more specific questions.
Mainly I am interested with information with regards to:
The working environment (I am European),
Salary,
Accommodation,
Roster,
Annual leave,
Anything relevant to the job in itself ..... both in the initial stage and once established after a couple of years.
Regards,
FA

desertcamel
15th Feb 2018, 10:21
Thanks desertcamel, you are right I should have asked more specific questions.
Mainly I am interested with information with regards to:
The working environment (I am European),
Salary,
Accommodation,
Roster,
Annual leave,
Anything relevant to the job in itself ..... both in the initial stage and once established after a couple of years.
Regards,
FA

figair,
work environment might come as shocking to you, if ever you get to join either of them. The culture, socially and professionally, might be heavy for you to take specially if you don't have experience living around Asia. These people, in general, are nice. But they have a special way of introducing you to their system.

Salary, I'm sure you have checked them out from Rishworth or CAE Parc Aviation. They're all the same.

Accomodation as Desipilot mentioned, KAL stays in a fancy hotel and AAR to an Apartment provided to you, furnished, after your training. Apartments are decent and in good locations. They'll give you a chance to pick the location you want.

Roster - I am not on the 320, but heard from the guys that it can be busy. But, Don't worry they don't let you fly above 75hrs. That will be overtime, so No.

KAL on the otherhand don't have 320s yet... but they're getting the 321's(i think) by 2019 or 20?

Annual leave - Send an email to the Planners and they're very happy to grant your request. They always try to help.

Getting through the training is probably the hardest part. Past that, and your life inside the company is easy and relax.

If you enjoy Asian foods, a little spicy, eat Pork, BBQ and all. Life will be easy in Seoul. You can also bring your Family if you choose to do that.

Trash8mofo
15th Feb 2018, 13:49
Getting through the training is probably the hardest part. Past that, and your life inside the company is easy and relax.

what are the difficult parts about Koreans' training? Are they anything like the Japanese that you gotta learn everything all over again their way? What are some typical hurdles that pilots run into?

desertcamel
16th Feb 2018, 22:43
what are the difficult parts about Koreans' training? Are they anything like the Japanese that you gotta learn everything all over again their way? What are some typical hurdles that pilots run into?

you gotta learn everything all over again their way.

Hurdles- bridging the gap of communication. A breakdown of this, can lead to almost anything.

figair
18th Feb 2018, 09:00
Can anyone share some information on the best agency to refer to for each of the mentioned airlines?

pilot hans
15th Mar 2018, 14:27
i was looking for KAL as well, reason is the commuting seems to be the most solid one, i have been fewer times in Asia and around and it's a lifestyle we like. If later on you decide to take you family, is that possible with KAL? or is it really only the commuting contracts? regarding the agency, I've heard good things about CCL. I have been in China to but i did not take it, I did not feel good there so not worth starting then.