PDA

View Full Version : Call sign question

Catwalk Dweller
11th Feb 2018, 19:21
The New England Patriots travel using their own 767 - I'm just curious, does anyone out there (perhaps a controller) know what call sign they use? Do they have their own assigned one, or do they travel using their registration?

What about other sports teams that charter aircraft? Are any of them uniquely identified?

Just curious, is all.

Tight_chops
13th Feb 2018, 09:14
Unfortunately, it's not very exciting. They use the tail number of the plane, likely November three six six alfa alfa.

Unless you are military or a registered air carrier you don't get a cool call sign.

MarcK
13th Feb 2018, 15:52
Local flight school has "Bayflight xx" for their planes. Requires local ATC approval.

Tight_chops
13th Feb 2018, 16:33
Absolutely, although not everyone in the NAS is going to know who you are if you call up as 'Bayflight', unless it's registered nationally.

As a Boston center controller, I can vouch that we have a way to look up callsigns in our database, but they have to be registered. Everytime a new callsign or a change of callsign is published, we receive a GENOT briefing item that we have to read prior to work.

flyboyike
20th Feb 2018, 20:12
Absolutely, although not everyone in the NAS is going to know who you are if you call up as 'Bayflight', unless it's registered nationally.

As a Boston center ler, I can vouch that we have a way to look up callsigns in our database, but they have to be registered. Everytime a new callsign or a change of callsign is published, we receive a GENOT briefing item that we have to read prior to work.

Speaking of The Patriots, my condolences...

Catwalk Dweller
25th Feb 2018, 00:17
At the risk of going off-topic, I have to say that a part of me was more than happy to see the Eagles win - they certainly deserved it.

I've got a good feeling about the Red Sox this year though . . .