PDA

View Full Version : Video of huge motor vehicle pileup in Iowa

rotornut
10th Feb 2018, 15:00
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2018/02/08/inside-massive-35-crash-like-scene-disaster-movie/320427002/

RatherBeFlying
10th Feb 2018, 17:30
I took a winter driving course some years ago. The best piece of advice:

Stay off the road when it's bad.

Even though you may have the skills and tires to handle poor conditions, many other drivers don't:uhoh:

If the oncoming car or truck loses it, you likely won't be able to get out of the way.

If you do manage to come to a safe stop, there's still a good chance you will get hit from behind, even if well off to the side of the road:uhoh:

You might want to find a heavy vehicle to hide behind until there's enough other vehicles stopped behind you to form an effective barrier.

Visibility is key. I carry extra clothing, a shovel and a sleeping bag.

funfly
11th Feb 2018, 10:11
when you stop at a motorway service station, have a look at some of the people there. These are the same people who are careering alongside of you when you are driving on the motorway, scary eh?

Tankertrashnav
11th Feb 2018, 10:45
True funfly but looking at that video the worst offenders were the drivers of a couple of artics who were going at a fair speed when they ploughed into the wreckage - must faster than most of the cars and vans

Knights of the road? :*

ShyTorque
11th Feb 2018, 11:54
Even though you may have the skills and tires to handle poor conditions, many other drivers don't:uhoh:

If the oncoming car or truck loses it, you likely won't be able to get out of the way.

If you do manage to come to a safe stop, there's still a good chance you will get hit from behind, even if well off to the side of the road:uhoh:My late father in law was driving himself and his wife to his mother's funeral on the M5 when it began snowing heavily. He was driving steadily when he was overtaken by another incompetent driver who lost control just in front of them. My F-i-l pulled over onto the hard shoulder and just after they stopped, their car was hit from behind by an HGV, doing an estimated 50 mph. Their car was launched back into traffic, already a wreck. They survived their injuries but he told me he could never drive on a motorway again and to my knowledge he never did.

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Feb 2018, 12:20
I was once caught in a Mediterranean style thunderstorm on the M4, visibility not much further than the end of the bonnet (the only time I've seen a storm like that in the UK). Slowed to a crawl and pulled into the hard shoulder and stopped as soon as I could find a space (I wasn't the first to decide this was the right thing to do). And ... you've guessed it, idiots were going past at 70mph.

Checkboard
11th Feb 2018, 14:37
Stopping on a motorway is always dangerous. Even if you get a flat tyre, it's better to drive on the flat to the next exit than stop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/comments/6xcyjr/watch_the_tire_go_across_the_freeway_wcgw/

ZOOKER
11th Feb 2018, 16:14
I read a comment from a Red Arrows pilot years ago who said, "Driving on a motorway is like flying in close formation, with people you have never met".

lomapaseo
11th Feb 2018, 17:57
I had one in light free-way traffic in mid lane of 3 lanes in my direction. All of a sudden I saw a large 3 inch pipe laying in my lane and at my speed I simply held on and straddled it boom-bang and continued.

I looked in my rear mirror and saw the car behind me slow down only to be rear-ended by a large trailer-truck which then bounced to right in a jack-knife and disappeared through a guardrail down an embankment into a city street. below our level.

After I continued on for a mile or so, I caught up to a flat bed truck carry the same looking pipe

The newspaper reported the next day that the car drive was killed

MG23
11th Feb 2018, 19:10
True funfly but looking at that video the worst offenders were the drivers of a couple of artics who were going at a fair speed when they ploughed into the wreckage - must faster than most of the cars and vans

They do not stop well on snow. And generally don't slow down, either.

Some years ago we were just pulling up to a red light on a snowy winter night, when my girlfriend suddenly pulled the car across into the next lane. A few seconds later a big truck slid straight through the light in the lane we'd been in. If she hadn't pulled over, we might not be here today.

This is why I always try not to be in front of big trucks in bad weather.

Blues&twos
11th Feb 2018, 19:47
MG23, I had a similar experience about 15 years ago, driving my little Citroen AX in lane 1 of the M4 in pouring rain. Approaching an offslip, the traffic all came to a stop. I looked in my mirror and spotted an artic clearly trying to slow but looking like he was going to run into me. I floored it and managed to just get onto the hard shoulder as he slid past me, coming to a stop a little way further along. It frightened me and even now I do my best not to be the car in front of the big truck on a motorway, and most definitely not between two big trucks.

Windy Militant
11th Feb 2018, 20:24
About ten years back I was heading to Moffat on my way north.
I was running a lot later than I had planned and had stopped at Tebay to eat.
It had been snowing, but two lanes of the M6 had been ploughed, but the temperature was dropping fast as I stopped.
On my way back onto the M6 the orange triangle of doom (Traction control light) was intermittently flashing as I made my way up the slip road out of the services.
As I was rejoining the motorway an Artic Flatbed went belting past just before I got to where the lanes merge. I thought he was either brave or stupid!
I proceeded gingerly on my way and shortly after came across the same flatbed, only this time it was stopped in the unploughed fast lane facing back against the flow of traffic.:uhoh:

off watch
11th Feb 2018, 23:25
Few years back, I was diverted into Stansted one evening due SNOCLO at Luton. My brother in law, a professional chauffeur at the time, came to pick me up. As we got onto the dual carriageway with only one lane partly clear, a taxi rushed past us heading for the M11. " He'll not get far driving like that" says bruv. Correct ! At the first roundabout, there he was, stuck in the middle of it, having slid straight on. Sympathy came there none !

ExXB
12th Feb 2018, 08:23
I wonder how many of those vehicles sported summer, or all season, tyres/tires?

MG23
12th Feb 2018, 15:45
Unfortunately, even if you have winter tires, a fairly small percentage of people who don't can still lead to crashes like these, as they smash into the back of the queue of stationary vehicles.

And winter tires aren't perfect, either: I've slid quite some way as I tried to stop at a stop light with my foot on the brake and the ABS chattering to itself even with winter tires. But only twice in ten years driving in Canadian winters.

RatherBeFlying
12th Feb 2018, 16:36
There's a few inches of compacted snow (temporary glaciers) around town.

Even with winter tires and ABS you get maybe half the stopping power as you would on pavement.

A lady with all seasons could not make it up a gentle incline out of a parking area. There's a layer of ice below the dry snow and no adhesion between the two. It's tricky enough walking on the stuff.

Been making a number of observations on snow science in the local river valley. No avalanches locally, but avalanche chutes are being blasted in the passes.

Fareastdriver
12th Feb 2018, 20:41
China January 1998, Beijing to Tianjin expressway.

My taxi driver is driving slowly and carefully on ice and snow covered roads with visibility down to 100 metres in fog. A lot of lights flashing appeared and we pass a police Mitsubishi 4X4 buried in the back of another police Mitsubishi 4X4. This 4X4 is buried in the back of a shiny Mercedes limousine which is buried in the back of yet another Mitsubishi which is buried in the back of a broken down lorry.

At least all their blue lights still worked.

chuks
12th Feb 2018, 21:08
We were on the German Autobahn returning from a ski holiday on a peak travel day, running late because of big go-slows at the Austrian border. When we normally would have been close to home in North Germany, around 2200, we were still in Bavaria, and then it started snowing heavily.

I was doing about 60 kmh. in our AWD Passat with good winter tires, about all I wanted to chance, when a Golf went whizzing past doing a smooth 100 or so, which was perfectly legal, of course. It was just a matter then of how lucky you felt, I guess.

We got off at the next exit and overpaid for a really crappy room in a B&B. It seemed better than possibly ending up in one of these mass crashes.

Here in Germany it's not uncommon to have a really big crash in fog. There's no legal barrier to driving at speed in poor visibility; it's simply a judgement call.

If you are not just plain stupid then there's this phenomenon that seems to come into play: confirmation bias. You might be doing something you know to be risky, but so is the guy in front of you and the guy in back of you doing that, so that it must somehow be okay

Highway1
12th Feb 2018, 22:04
Big accident in Fog in Abu Dhabi last week - not an unusual occurrence in the UAE though.

Check out the video at 15 seconds and 54 seconds.... :uhoh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyosrH08om0