PDA

View Full Version : Dunkirk

Tashengurt
10th Feb 2018, 14:26
Surely this film must've been discussed here yet I can't find a thread for it?

Anyway, I finally got a couple of family free hours today to watch it, expecting great things after all the hype.

What a shallow, disjointed load of balls. Kenneth Branagh was the only character who had any depth and his part was all too small.
The score was intrusive too. Way too much chuffing and clanging throughout.

Am I in an army of one on this?

Highway1
10th Feb 2018, 14:31

No, I fully concur - Overhyped load of rubbish. I watched it hoping for the best and thought it junk, so I then watched the 1958 version with Dickie Attenborough and John Mills which was far superior in telling the story. I then had another go at watching the latest film thinking that I missed something - I hadnt and switched it off after 20 minutes.

wiggy
10th Feb 2018, 14:37
I’m sure there was discussion of the film here last summer...anyhow:

No you are not....some are a fan of Nolan’s non-linear or whatever you call it approach to story telling but it didn’t work for me.....I made a lot of effort to go and see it on IMAX at the Science Museum and TBH if I hadn’t put so much effort in I would have walked out half way through and found a pub.

Mike6567
10th Feb 2018, 15:15
As wiggy says it was discussed last year.

My wfe and I watched it recently and thought it was extremely disappointing. Or put another way would not recommend anyone to see it.

We noticed on the previous thread a number of posters enjoyed it so decided we were being over critical.

In the Oscars this year it has been nominated for eight awards!

We find this unbelievable.

wiggy
10th Feb 2018, 15:25
Just had a search, “Dunkirk”It popped up in several threads last year, this seems to have been the most relevant one:

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/597291-dunkirk-2017-a.html?highlight=Dunkirk

Mike

Likewise, Especially this far past peak hype. Then again my theory is the goings on surrounding “metoo” etc meant some of last year’s films have dropped out of serious Oscar territory......I suspect there are certain actors and others in the industry who simply can’t be seen to get awards or be close to getting awards at the moment.

Mike6567
10th Feb 2018, 15:29
https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/597291-dunkirk-2017-a.html

for the benefit of Tashengurt

Added later: wiggy beat me to it

Tashengurt
10th Feb 2018, 15:32
Thanks. I was fairly certain it had been but several searches drew a blank.

Mac the Knife
10th Feb 2018, 15:39
Yeah, I saw it. V. disappointing. Gave no idea of the magnitude of the evacuation at all. Might have been a couple of platoons for all I saw. All sorts of psycho-self-indulgent meanderings though.

rogerg
10th Feb 2018, 16:09
This is beginning to sound like the "Victor Meldrew" thread.

mothminor
10th Feb 2018, 16:24
The most disappointing film I have ever seen, I wasted £25 on the 4k version.
Rubbish compared with the 1958 original.

Bern Oulli
10th Feb 2018, 17:04
Second that Mothminor. John Mills, Richard Attenborough and a cast including genuine army officers is a film well worth getting if you haven't already got it.

Sallyann1234
10th Feb 2018, 17:42
The most disappointing film I have ever seen, I wasted £25 on the 4k version.
Rubbish compared with the 1958 original.

Don't you mean the 1940 original?

Saintsman
10th Feb 2018, 18:02
Were they really telling the story of Dunkirk or using it to make a movie? I suspect that the latter is more likely.

There are very few films that are reflective of the real events and lets face it, the spitfire episode had a fair bit of artistic licence. People who saw it for the entertainment value were probably not disappointed.

meadowrun
10th Feb 2018, 18:11
Unfortunately these days many audiences who see a film like this cannot differentiate between real history, entertainment and Hollywood's version of history.
Adds to the greater muddle and murk.

HEMS driver
10th Feb 2018, 18:34

Lately, Oscars, like Nobels, are "participation trophies." :rolleyes:

SARF
10th Feb 2018, 18:35
Was Ben affleck in it flying a plane down a street. .?

meadowrun
10th Feb 2018, 18:39
Ahh, you're probably thinking of John Belushi in his P-40 over Hollywood & Vine.

http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/_img/6001-2.jpg

Tankertrashnav
10th Feb 2018, 22:31
A film critic writing in The Times the other day prefaced his remarks about another film with "Just as Dunkirk has now set the standards for films about World War Two..."

But then who listens to what the critics say? :*

ExSp33db1rd
10th Feb 2018, 23:30
Agreed, disappointing.

I was also disappointed that more mention wasn't made of The Little Ships, for all the film is worth there might have been only the one featured, unlike Darkest Hour, which one might also criticise, but at least there was a short shot of some 200 + ( at a guess ) Little Ships - so long as you didn't blink.

Darkest Hour ? ... Despite the pretty good portrayal of Churchill, does anyone else think his bad temper was shown a little OTT ? I'm sure he was an irascible bastard, but .... ??

gileraguy
10th Feb 2018, 23:44
Ahh, you're probably thinking of John Belushi in his P-40 over Hollywood & Vine.

http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/_img/6001-2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUeq9lD8drQ

"My name is Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it!"

fujii
11th Feb 2018, 00:03
The British have a deeply rooted attachment to the Dunkirk story and probably view the movie through this prism and as a result may be very critical. I enjoyed it as entertainment.

oldpax
11th Feb 2018, 00:15
The moviemakers could have included a bit about the rearguard(my father was one)who didn't get of at Dunkirk but managed to fight a bit further south and got of at a French port.He used to go to a reunion each year after the "Belgian government" awarded all the Dunkirk vets a medal.

Mr Optimistic
11th Feb 2018, 00:26
Yeah crap film. Dunkirk was the result of the defeat of the British army. Avoided a rout, but not a victory. Singapore was much much worse. No small boats there.

tdracer
11th Feb 2018, 00:53
There are some really good WW II movies out there - Dunkirk isn't even in the top 50. I'm simply amazed that it got an Oscar node for anything besides special effects (some of those were quite good).
I found the lack of continuity so annoying as to make the movie nearly unwatchable...

ExSp33db1rd
11th Feb 2018, 01:04
The moviemakers could have included a bit about the rearguard(my father was one)who didn't get of at Dunkirk but managed to fight a bit further south

Darkest Hour mentions a Calais Garrison, who were commanded to try to hold off any German advance towards Dunkirk, and told - at Churchills command - that they could expect no rescue.

Clare Prop
11th Feb 2018, 02:32
Is The Lancastria sinking mentioned in the film? My grandfather was a survivor.

paulc
11th Feb 2018, 06:48
I watched it on a flight over Xmas. Keen to see it but was left with a 'oh was that it' feeling. Disappointing is an understatement.

Pontius Navigator
11th Feb 2018, 07:50
Yeah crap film. Dunkirk was the result of the defeat of the British army. Avoided a rout, but not a victory. Singapore was much much worse. No small boats there.
Not sure where he was re Singapore but my old man escaped fro Java twice.

His ship was sunk try first time, then managed to get aboard another. Certainly some good films out of Singapore. Not sure about King Rat and Changhi jail. Always feel the star parts are written up above reality.

UniFoxOs
11th Feb 2018, 09:07
But then who listens to what the critics say?

I do, and if they rate a film I make sure not to see it.

Kenneth Branagh was the only character who had any depth

And if he's the best of it then I definitely don't want to see it.

Tankertrashnav
11th Feb 2018, 10:30
Is the Lancastria sinking mentioned in the film? My grandfather was a survivor.

Hardly surprising if it wasn't as this event is one of the great "unknown" tragedies in maritime history in spite of the loss of life probably being at least three times that of the Titanic. I suppose it was understandable that the news of it was suppressed for morale reasons at the time, but apparently it is still difficult to get access to records, and for some reason the site of the wreck has never been designated as a war grave.

jindabyne
11th Feb 2018, 11:25
fujji

The British have a deeply rooted attachment to the Dunkirk story and probably view the movie through this prism and as a result may be very critical. I enjoyed it as entertainment

I don't have a prism. If you enjoyed it as a piece of entertainment, fine. But if you were to view it right way up, you'd see it was a distortion of historical reality. The unfortunate bit is that a good proportion of today's 'generation' will take it as given.

Tashengurt
11th Feb 2018, 11:45
I didn't think it necessarily misrepresented events, it just didn't show anything with much in the way of historical context.
I absolutely get that not every film can have documentary standards of accuracy and depth but events like this are slipping from the collective memory and so need some kind of explanation of 'how, where and why'.
This film was just a series of flimsy plots bodged together.

pax britanica
11th Feb 2018, 12:10
Not a film for Ppruners really or anyone with aviation interest or knowledge . RAF complement 2 spitfires one with the range of a triple 7 and unlimited gliding ability
Luftwaffe complement 1 He111

i think they did try witht he film but when compared to 1950s versions one ahs to remeebr that back then all the casr had been in the war or done national service so they knew what military personnel really do behave like and it came naturally to them. Obviously people in the recent Dunkirk had no real life experience and didn't come across very credibly.

While there was certainly a British rearguard most of the hold up was Adolfs bizarre 'wait' orders and of course the fact that the french army was still an active force who didnt surrender for several weeks later . the film doe s make the point that the french were still engaged which is good seeing as most Brits think we were 'betrayed by them, oddly few French take the attitude that the Brits ran away rather than 'withdrew'.

Overall i found the film more interesting that realistic or standard setting, certainly lacked the directors skill of using the setting and individuals to convey a bigger message compared with the excellent Viceroy house which really does show the awfulness of 'Partition' through some minor incidents very cleverly and which i found quite moving

Kelly Hopper
11th Feb 2018, 14:43
I was really looking forward to seeing this in the comfort of home so ordered it on DVD. A huge disapointment I have to say! Utterly boring and totally missed the scale of the story. At least I now have a new garden frisbie!
Unfortunately I am now filled with dread at what "Darkest Hour," my next purchase, might contain?

India Four Two
11th Feb 2018, 15:41
Don’t worry Kelly. Darkest Hour is very good, by any film standard. You haven’t wasted your money, unlike the abysmal Dunkirk.

Groundloop
11th Feb 2018, 16:29
While there was certainly a British rearguard most of the hold up was Adolfs bizarre 'wait' orders

This is actually a popular misconception. The decision to hold the German advance was Von Rundstedt's. When Hitler did not object Von Rundstedt worded his order to give the impression it was Hitler's idea.

Pontius Navigator
11th Feb 2018, 18:48
People with money seem to indicate that Dunkirk is the bees knees.

Grayfly
11th Feb 2018, 18:55
Just for balance etc, I don't have a lot of money, but I thought it was an excellent film. I didn't expect a documentary or historical accuracy, after all it's entertainment.

I also enjoyed the lack of CGI, the use of actual types and large scale models.

llondel
11th Feb 2018, 20:34
While there was certainly a British rearguard most of the hold up was Adolfs bizarre 'wait' orders and of course the fact that the french army was still an active force who didnt surrender for several weeks later . the film doe s make the point that the french were still engaged which is good seeing as most Brits think we were 'betrayed by them, oddly few French take the attitude that the Brits ran away rather than 'withdrew'

The fact that they continued and evacuated more of the French army once they'd gotten the British troops off the beach probably counted for something. I think they pulled about 100,000 French troops off the beach along with the British.

BigEndBob
12th Feb 2018, 17:09
What put me off is that all the soldiers looked about 16.
I would have thought a lot would have been regulars and would have looked a bit older. Even 25 year old's used to look 40 back then.

Krystal n chips
12th Feb 2018, 17:20
What put me off is that all the soldiers looked about 16.
I would have thought a lot would have been regulars and would have looked a bit older. Even 25 year old's used to look 40 back then.

They were a bit younger than 25.....20-22 (ish ) including one of my late uncles who took a stroll along the prom, sand dunes and a quick dip thereafter.

meadowrun
12th Feb 2018, 17:23
Even 25 year old's used to look 40 back then....and not just soldiers. Time for a film that can convey the real raw fear (stiff-upper lip comes more into play) faced by those then. - Now - in a time where most of the people have not the slightest conception of the looming terrors of what was being faced or the experience of all out war..

RAT 5
12th Feb 2018, 19:05
If I was connected to any of the little Armada people I would have been distraught by the film. They were very much the focus of the whole scenario, but the film paid them very short shrift. It was hugely lost opportunity to tell a great story. The fact that is was a withdrawal/retreat does not detract from the human story and all those who contributed. That was missing; and as for the ludicrous Spitfire sequence...............

troppo
19th Feb 2018, 00:18
Primarily being snubbed at the BAFTAS which is a good reflection of what a load of garbage it was.

sidevalve
19th Feb 2018, 06:17
I agree troppo.. I started watching it last night and switched it off after 30 mins or so. If I'd paid money to see it I wouldn't have been a happy camper.
To me, it was akin to looking at Dunkirk through a straw.. There was little sense of the magnitude of this reverse.
Edited to add: I was surprised to see it rated as #4 in the Top 100 War Films of all Time (https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-war-movies-of-all-time/7/)..

UniFoxOs
19th Feb 2018, 06:25
Primarily being snubbed at the BAFTAS which is a good reflection of what a load of garbage it was.

But got Oscar nominations which is a good reflection of what a load of garbage the septics think.

phnuff
19th Feb 2018, 12:38
I actually thought it was very good; I loved the way it focussed on those directly involved. As for the non linear story telling, I loved it

rog747
19th Feb 2018, 13:09
i thought it was great - loved it
saw it at the Odeon - packed houses down here been on for ages
love tom hardy

was on the edge of my seat for 2 hours - challenge any kid that needs to know about WW2 to go and see it plus a few more like it

Simmbob
20th Feb 2018, 13:28
I saw in our local cinema with the wife,
She was in tears all the way through.

It was a very good drama which allowed some of the fear and anguish of the soldiers, sailors and airmen to come through.

It certainly was not a documentary !

Simmbob

troppo
5th Mar 2018, 05:26
So it won a few frilly/fringe bits but not the major gong. Then again...3 billboards...wtf is that movie about? I guess the 'artistic' and 'critical' establishment voted that one in.
My personal faves in 2017 were Blade Runner and Brawl in Cell Block 99 but not everyone's cup of tea.

wiggy
5th Mar 2018, 06:47
Dunkirk for “best sound mixing...” ? OK, I can see that, but “Best Sound Editing”.?....nooooo......that must have been given to Dunkirk as a consolation prize ‘cos “Baby Driver” beat it hands down in that department.....I thought BD might have got one of the technical awards (it did at the BAFTAs ) but I suspect It was contaminated, at least in in Hollywood’s eyes, by Kevin Spacey’s appearance.

I guess those who said the U.K. had lost Edgar Wright to Hollywood were wrong......

M.Mouse
5th Mar 2018, 08:38
Then again...3 billboards...wtf is that movie about?

It is called entertaining black comedy.

Hempy
5th Mar 2018, 09:58
EZpVtNCwei4

Thomas coupling
5th Mar 2018, 11:26
3 very shallow story line(s), running in parallel.
Spitfires that had endless ammo onboard.
Then to cap it all, the Spit loses it's engine and spends the next 15 minutes gliding back and forth along the coast line passing endless landing points in amongst the allies (where he could jump out and join the exodus) and decides, "I know what" let's land behind enemy lines just for a giggle"...
Setting fire to (NOT) a Spitfire.

And then a load of fuss about some pop singer who speaks a couple of lines as his film debut.

Perleeeze, is there no substance to films anymore........

BUT brilliant news for best actor - Darkest Hour, well deserved, indeed.

Saintsman
5th Mar 2018, 18:36
I'm sure there was some overweight actor who was born to play the Churchill role, but they would rather spend 3-4 hours per day making a skinny bloke look much bigger than he really was.

Discrimination?

#Fatshame ;)