PDA

View Full Version : Cost of PPL Skills test & LPCs

RTN11
9th Feb 2018, 10:56
I think I'm maybe undercharging for the exams I do, I'm just curious of what other examiners across the UK charge for PPL skills test and SEP LPCs?

Duchess_Driver
9th Feb 2018, 13:29
I think I'm maybe undercharging for the exams I do, I'm just curious of what other examiners across the UK charge for PPL skills test and SEP LPCs?

Are you... ?

A) Surviving
B) Busy

If the answer to both is yes, why increase?
If the answer to A is yes, but B is no, why increase?
If the answer to A is no, regardless of B, increase!
If the answer to both is no, take up knitting!

In all honesty, does it matter what others are charging if you’re surviving and happy with what you charge?

I know I have just given the Authority €500 for the privilege of reissuing a piece of paper - let alone examiners fees and hire of the aircraft for the AOC, so even though I think I over charge already, I may have to add a few “coppers” to cover the costs.

BigEndBob
9th Feb 2018, 17:20
Skill test i charge £150.
LPC i do for free for our club members, normal dual rate.

TOT
9th Feb 2018, 17:52
BEB,,You are TOO CHEAP!!!!! FREE - do the CAA give you anything for FREE?

anchorhold
13th Feb 2018, 13:51
I was charging £159 in 2004 for skill tests in 2004, likewise in 1988 I was being paid £12,000 pa as an AFI, norhing changes, the rates seem never to go up.

BigEndBob
14th Feb 2018, 22:10
Yes have been charging £150 for at least the last 12 years.
Free LPC for club members, just to keep them.(Any member needing a LPC is not really a regular customer).
CFI, my own school, minimum wage, lowest pay for 20 years.
But at least we won't go bust like every other school i have worked for.
Just no money in Aviation at our level.
I know of a R/T examiner that makes more money in one day than i pay myself in one month.
Then you have to compete with schools not charging VAT and private owners renting out aircraft not needing premises with rent and rates to pay, plus any approvals to finance, staff, 3rd party insurance, phone/broadband, heating, advertising, stationary, etc.

I must be mad.....good job mental state is not assessed on medicals!

MrAverage
15th Feb 2018, 07:07
B.E.B!

You just described my world to a tee, with the exception of the test fees.

I always charge for LPCs but vary the amount depending on whether the candidate is in one of ours, a private owner or (rarely) has rented from one of those non vat competitors. (Quite often they end up not being properly insured and even those reluctantly rent from us.)

I agree with other posters - you need to increase your fees - I rarely do any flying for free. The main exception is renewals for my instructors.

I always explain why my fees are what they are (cost of AOC every 3 years and all the things you mention) and how little I earn per year. Reasonable folk understand, the others I'm not interested in anyway!

RTN11
17th Feb 2018, 15:55
Thanks for all the input.

I do get by, but with the renewals of both instructor and examiner ratings this year, I need enough coming in to justify the expense and effort.

I've been charging in line with the rest of this thread, typically £150 for a full skills test, and between £60-£100 for an LPC depending on the candidates affiliation with the club I'm at. I had heard £200 was more the norm, but I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.