PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa new C/S

Turnleft080
8th Feb 2018, 22:24
This new Lufthansa c/s looks totally non German. It looks uninspiring bland boring and unimaginative like a lot of c/s today. Another totally white
body. Looks like one of those freighters. Even the freighters in the 70s
had more charisma i.e. Flying Tigers, Seaboard World, Trans international.
What has ever happened to the beautiful Cheat line C/L that use to run
along the fuselage? What a disgrace?

DaveReidUK
9th Feb 2018, 06:36
This new Lufthansa c/s looks totally non German. It looks uninspiring bland boring and unimaginative

Well, as the saying goes, "if the cap fits ..." :O

El Bunto
9th Feb 2018, 06:57
Very bland and monochromatic, with not even a belly-logo to break up the white canvas. But at least not as disjointed and fussy as Air Canada's recent effort.

It's not particularly original either; even the 'innovative' white leading-edge to the fin has precedent:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Tarom_Airbus_A310-300_Bidini.jpg/320px-Tarom_Airbus_A310-300_Bidini.jpg

There is a design overview video on Youtube, in German. They will keep yellow as a highlight colour for customer interaction, though that means non-customers won't ever see it.

treadigraph
9th Feb 2018, 07:21
https://thedesignair.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/du8zk4ax4aedgaf.jpg?w=710

Did a quick google to see what you were talking about - I agree it is bland, judicious use of yellow (which i seem to recall is a complimentary colour to blue), perhaps a leading edge to the tail and maybe the engines would help.

Isn't it time Air France had a makeover; the basic scheme has been around since about 1975 I think, don't know if there have been any subtle changes since?

Diverskii
9th Feb 2018, 07:44
Isn't it time Air France had a makeover; the basic scheme has been around since about 1975 I think, don't know if there have been any subtle changes since?

Minor update circa 2009 with the updated logo and tail. If it ain't broke...

dixi188
9th Feb 2018, 07:55
If the reason for a colour scheme is to advertise your airline then taking away the big yellow spot has made Lufthansa just another blue tail among all the others.

Hotel Tango
9th Feb 2018, 11:12
That is a very good point dixi188. I wonder how much it cost them to have this totally uninspiring livery designed. I wonder what the reation has been in Germany?

Max Angle
9th Feb 2018, 13:31
Ran into a LH crew the other day as we were scoffing some "early bird" breakfast in a hotel lobby, apparently they all hate it.

22/04
9th Feb 2018, 14:10
Looks like they have sort of copied Swiss in blue

jensdad
10th Feb 2018, 04:23
What is going through these people's minds? Are they actually competing to see who can have the most bland livery? The new Iberia c/s is the worst imho, if only because it replaced one of the greatest and most distinctive schemes around.

Mr Mac
10th Feb 2018, 06:21
Max Angle
I flew with them yesterday and got the same comment as you from CC. They were not happy with losing the Yellow background, and I agree it is very poor in comparison with what they have currently. They must be giving up one of the longest lived and easily identifiable logos in airline history, which is a shame especially when you se what they chose and indeed how much they will have paid for someone to develop this new some what anaemic / bland look. I hope this is not a sign of things to come as I use them quite a lot.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

KelvinD
10th Feb 2018, 06:22
The first of the new C/S to LHR should be LH904 at 11:45 today (D-AISP).

El Bunto
10th Feb 2018, 06:34
What is going through these people's minds? 'Touchpoints', 'digital media', 'stability'

'Formulate the most premium blue that you can...'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoLWB3FXYzU&feature=youtu.be&t=85

Also much nodding and neck-beard stroking.

English presentation, less insightful than the German oneabove:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_puSnvKy_ak

Mr Mac
10th Feb 2018, 06:52
El Bunto
Thanks for posting that. It does explain a lot but the losing the Yellow makes the hole thing look more bland not "richer" IMHO. In a previous company I went through this exercise when a new CEO joined. Most were supportive of the change to be honest, but it was a poor imitation of what we had before and being some what older I voiced my opinion at a staff meeting and it turned out it was a little "emperors new clothes" if you get my drift. Anyway new CEO stayed for 2 years before running off on the MBA merry go round these people have, to no doubt do more brand changing elsewhere. Incoming CEO changed brand back to something similar to previous. Cost to business circa £3m and we were not a large business, and this was done at a time of recession and pay freezes / redundancy so not a happy workforce either.

Regards
Mr Mac

Hotel Tango
10th Feb 2018, 10:43
I got to just over a third of the way and had to give up on that video. What it boils down to is that they actually and naively believe the PR bull they spout out. The bottom line Lufthansa is that it's BLAND and does NOT project an image which distinguishes you from your competitors!

KelvinD
10th Feb 2018, 13:31
I disagree with the description of bland. I don't think it is that bad. At least the Lufthansa tails no longer resemble a Cadburys Creme Egg!
Here is one that arrived at LHR today:
Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin/details.php?image_id=25208)

jensdad
10th Feb 2018, 16:51
My god, that photo encapsulates three things that just get my goat about airlines:
This aircraft used to be called 'Rosenheim'. Now it appears to be called '#explore the new'
The above 'name'/ 'hashtag', whatever it is, is in English. They're a German airline fcs.
As discussed above the colour scheme is dire (in my humble opinion anyway - it's in the eye of the beholder, I appreciate)

I think someone at Lufthansa trying to wind me up personally :D

DaveReidUK
10th Feb 2018, 17:23
This aircraft used to be called 'Rosenheim'. Now it appears to be called '#explore the new'

On a 9-year-old aircraft ...

c52
10th Feb 2018, 17:51
https://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com/Airlines-Europe-1/Airlines-Germany/Lufthansa/i-Gx8vgs6/A

Better than this, which was withdrawn by popular demand, including one hand-written letter from me.

c52
10th Feb 2018, 17:51
let's try again

https://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com/Airlines-Europe-1/Airlines-Germany/Lufthansa/i-Gx8vgs6/A

c52
10th Feb 2018, 17:52
OK, on this page there is a picture of a yellow and grey 737 in what was meant to be LH's last major livery change.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2018/02/03/lufthansa-to-introduce-a-new-blue-livery-on-february-7/

DaveReidUK
10th Feb 2018, 18:29
I think it would be more accurate to describe that as a trial/test scheme, rather than an aborted plan to change to livery.

El Bunto
10th Feb 2018, 19:15
That yellow-belly experimental livery ( 'fried egg' ) was handed-off to the Condor subsidiary, whose package-travel image suited it better.

Condor had a stunning bare-fuselage / yellow-tail livery in the 1970s but unfortunately coincided with increased use of composite fairings which made it look patchy and the fuselage later became white. A modern metallic-effect silver paint would have done wonders.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-10-30%2C_Condor_AN0333415.jpg/316px-McDonnell_Douglas_DC-10-30%2C_Condor_AN0333415.jpg

Despite the dearth of colour it still looks more balanced than Lufthansa's latest effort and wouldn't have merged so easily into the grey Munich sky:

https://scontent.ftxl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/27797461_1602532679822826_8739984396402619246_o.jpg?oh=156fc c79f90dbd2390d72756ee57a757&oe=5B1148CD

Mr Mac
11th Feb 2018, 07:56
C52
The pole on your link says it all 62% dislike of the new scheme. Hope someone at LH is listening. Its a wet Sunday here so may see at sometime today if there is a direct contact / site within LH to voice disapproval. They should remember the BA debacle when carrying out such changes.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

Mr Mac
11th Feb 2018, 08:48
C52
Sent the below to LH through FF flyer program. Will let you know if I get a response, and will post reply if and when I receive one.

"I have been flying with you and SQ and EK for a number of years and recently viewed your new corporate look. I would just like to voice my opinion that it is a very poor substitute for what you currently have. I do not know how much it cost, but it was a waste of money and time. I do not think I have seen such bad corporate branding since the British Airways debacle, and that was the start of that companies decline to the shambles they are now, I hope LH are not going down the same path !. I understand talking to your crews they are also all (in my agreed limited sample ) unhappy with the change. Hopefully the online pole on the internet showing 64%+ unhappiness with the change will make someone think again. It looks like a case of the emperors new clothes if you get my drift."

Regards
Mr Mac

SpringHeeledJack
11th Feb 2018, 11:07
It looks remarkably similar to the Airbus Corporate colour scheme. It seems like Lufthansa wanted to have a spring clean overall, which isn't such a bad idea every now and again. That said, the aircraft look 'less' visually memorable and I wonder if it will come back to haunt Lufthansa with reduced customer satisfaction.

Espada III
11th Feb 2018, 16:05
The long standing LH colour scheme was easily identifiable at any airport around the world; the yellow in particular was the definitive Lufthansa indentifier. It is a shame that cost cutting has left us with anonymous aeroplanes.

You can spot Ryanair, easyJet, Jet2, Emirates, even BA, Air France, Alitalia so easily, by either garish colours or a two colour (plus white) scheme.

I want to be proud to fly with the airline I have chosen, not reduced to hiding in plain sight. What an error. There was no need for change. It looked as fresh in 2018 as it did in 1999. Perhaps some minor tweaking, but removing the yellow has taken away the soul of the brand.

El Bunto
11th Feb 2018, 17:37
You can spot Ryanair And there was one of the problems. Apparently Lufthansa's market research found that the public associated blue-yellow with 'cheap' brands like Ryanair and Ikea ( and maybe Pprune! ).

But instead of taking this as a challenge and doing something really bold to retake ownership of the colours, they chopped the yellow out of the livery.

Some of the alternative schemes can be seen briefly in the German-language video on Youtube; hot-pink seems to have been the main rival to premium-blue. By that point the yellow was long gone.

https://imagr.eu/up/N4Hyj_lufty.png

Betonung: Heck / Leitwerk means roughly 'Emphasis: tail / fin'

G-ARZG
15th Feb 2018, 20:56
Good job UTA aren't still around !
Compare/contrast UTA then and new LH.
"Hello yesterday"?

'ZG

Duchess_Driver
15th Feb 2018, 22:06
Always wondered why they weren’t black, yellow and red.... then I saw a Deutsch BA effort and that sort of answered my question.

Poor effort, sorry. Yuk.

El Bunto
28th Feb 2018, 14:08
After a few weeks in operation it has been determined that the 'premium blue' is too dark under typical cloudy European skies and it will be tweaked to a lighter shade.

You are permitted to roll your eyes.

Hotel Tango
28th Feb 2018, 16:37
Which will now make the present "new" livery a collectors item for the photographers :)

DaveReidUK
28th Feb 2018, 17:17
Shock news: dark blue appears darker when it's cloudy.

Who'd have thought it?

Happily, yellow still looks yellow. Oh, hang on ...

Mr Mac
3rd Mar 2018, 08:16
El Bunto
Finally heard from LH who said they are "reviewing after customer comments". So there is hope they may rethink before moving to the ghastly new look.

Regards
Mr Mac