PDA

View Full Version : The urban fox

DrJones
8th Feb 2018, 16:32
Hi

Having a problem with the local urban foxes who have taken a liking to my wife's car and climbing all over it - the evidence they leave behind is their muddy foot prints.

I live in flat in London with allocated parking. I am concerned that if they keep on climbing over the car they are going to cause scratches / damage to metal work.

To stop further damage at the moment I have now parked the car at my parents house which is several miles from where I live.

To solve the problem going forward I can purchase a parking permit (which I have done in case all else fails) and park the car on the road and leave my allocated parking space empty or come up with another solution.

My question is can anyone offer a viable solution? If you can offer viable solution can you also reccomend what particularly make of products to buy?

Cheers

Dj

UniFoxOs
8th Feb 2018, 17:06
My question is can anyone offer a viable solution? If you can offer viable solution can you also reccomend what particularly make of products to buy?

Browning, Winchester, Miroku, AyA?

Cpt_Pugwash
8th Feb 2018, 17:10
Car cover or even a simple tarpaulin.

ImageGear
8th Feb 2018, 17:11
Electrify the car with a cattle fence. :E

IG

Fareastdriver
8th Feb 2018, 17:38
Get a Ford Kar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLdcGSRHaaY

xraydice
8th Feb 2018, 17:49
Save up a bucketful of your urine, then pour round you car parking area. Works around our chicken run, renew said urine after rain fall.

Pontius Navigator
8th Feb 2018, 17:51
Save up a bucketful of your urine, then pour round you car parking area. Works around our chicken run, renew said urine after rain fall.ensure you use a bucket rather than direct application.

Get a dog

lomapaseo
8th Feb 2018, 17:59
Hi

Having a problem with the local urban foxes who have taken a liking to my wife's car and climbing all over it -

are you sure these are not feline pecker tracks?

MG23
8th Feb 2018, 18:29
Suppressed .17MHR seems to be the modern solution.

hiflymk3
8th Feb 2018, 19:37
Apparently lion poo will deter any animal, available by the kilo at a zoo near you.

An economical alternative is bullshit and there's plenty of that here for free.:uhoh:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=lion+dung+cat+repellent&clk_rvr_id=1436135939618&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoaGttJaX2QIVwecbCh15sgZjEAAYAiAAEgKlQfD_Bw E&geo_id=32251&MT_ID=10&crlp=185641965345_7004&rlsatarget=aud-105106656306%3Akwd-9888309878&keyword=lion+dung+cat+repellent&abcId=543836&treatment_id=7&poi=&adpos=1t2&device=c&crdt=0&ul_noapp=true

NRU74
8th Feb 2018, 19:41
Not a problem in the northern sticks !
I’ve got a .22 Rifle with a silencer using subsonic .22 hollow nose ammo. Easy!
In the suburbs it’s a bit more difficult.
You can kill a fox with an air rifle with a shot to the head. You’ll need to bait (with dog food) an area where you’ve got a good view of the fox and it is possible to kill them. You’ll then need somewhere to dispose of the carcass.
Unfortunately the old dispersal solutions such as Renardine are no longer legal and I’ve heard varying reports of the efficacy of stuff such as Scoot. I suppose it’s worth a try.

chevvron
8th Feb 2018, 21:03
Hi

Having a problem with the local urban foxes who have taken a liking to my wife's car and climbing all over it - the evidence they leave behind is their muddy foot prints.

I live in flat in London with allocated parking. I am concerned that if they keep on climbing over the car they are going to cause scratches / damage to metal work.

To stop further damage at the moment I have now parked the car at my parents house which is several miles from where I live.

To solve the problem going forward I can purchase a parking permit (which I have done in case all else fails) and park the car on the road and leave my allocated parking space empty or come up with another solution.

Cheers

Dj
Foxes don't climb on cars unless you've left some food on the bonnet or roof. Have the paw prints positively been identified as fox; if there is no sign of claws it's a cat?
Cats climb on cars especially those which have just been driven to take advantage of the warmth of the engine making the bonnet a great place for a kip.

SARF
8th Feb 2018, 21:13
Arrange a hunt.. Er sorry drag scent thingy

tartare
8th Feb 2018, 21:56
Out of interest lads - what is the law regarding shooting air-rifles or pistols in suburban London?
Lived there for a while but never investigated.
Down here in Sydney we have terrible problems with horrible little birds called the Indian Myna.
Basically an introduced starling that's highly intelligent and is breeding like wildfire.
Cheeky little [email protected] will fly inside - eat the fur-person's food right out of his bowl, then p!ss off outside again.
Investigated the legality of shooting the little feckers, only to discover that post the Port Arthur massacre and firearms laws changes - I cannot legally even use a slingshot/shanghai - it's an illegal projectile weapon!!!
Debated a bit of backyard, bird-related target practice - but in the end decided the neighbours might dob me in to the local filth...

G-CPTN
8th Feb 2018, 22:00
AFAICR, a firearm (including an air weapon) may not be discharged within a certain distance of a highway.

It is also an offence to discharge a firearm, including an airgun, within 50 feet of the centre of any highway. This includes roads, bridle-paths or public footpaths. The offence is complete if a member of the public is injured, endangered or even just alarmed by the incident.

Tankertrashnav
8th Feb 2018, 23:25
Well that seems to settle the firearms/air weapon question in town.

Funnily enough out here in the country where foxes also abound (in West Cornwall) they actually seem to be far less of a problem. We see them around, and also see evidence of their predation on the local rabbit population, but rarely see them around the house. A bit of fox poo occasionally but far less than the prodigious amount produced by my German Shepherd! My car lives outside all the time and I ever never seen any pawmarks on it. I have several shotguns but have never felt the need to shoot a fox.

Leben, und leben lassen

jolihokistix
9th Feb 2018, 00:02
From my experience I would agree with chevvron above, that it is more likely to be cats. The only way a fox might use your car is as a step to leap up to a wall that leads somewhere interesting.

You do not mention whether you can actually see the car from your flat. When we had them leaving unmentionable objects in the little back garden, if I saw one I used to fire paper pellets from a rubber band. Well-folded, heavy paper and a good thick elastic band. If you can flick these at semi-human classmates, then surely they should be safe enough for foxes. Just having the ammo lying there by the back door ready to fire made me feel in charge of the situation, and imagine the fun explaining to the family how to get a good shot off. In fact I do not think I ever got to fire one in anger.

Hydromet
9th Feb 2018, 08:39
Down here in Sydney we have terrible problems with horrible little birds called the Indian Myna.
I've almost solved the Myna problem here. I built a trap (legal & plans readily available on the web) and have disposed of all but two who are a bit too smart. Occasionally, they have a chick or two, but I generally manage to get them before they're educated.
I reckon I could get the last two with a rat trap, but there are other birds that I want to keep happy.

bbrown1664
9th Feb 2018, 09:07
Hi

Dj

Think yourself very lucky if that is all they are doing.

Round this way (Near Gatwick) we had an issue a couple of years ago where one of the ginger gits had taken a liking to car brake pipes.
My wifes car was done
My van had the ABS cables chewed several times
My 93 year old next-door-neighbour had her car done
The neighbour the other side of her had his van brake pipes done
The neighbour opposite had his van brake pipes done

quite expensive for all of us and very dangerous for the like of my neighbour who didn't realise till she got down the road and the brakes didn't work!

Carry0nLuggage
9th Feb 2018, 09:09
Think yourself lucky it's just paw prints. Our customer's resident engineer recently had her brake pipes chewed twice last year while her car was parked in the street. :eek:

SnowFella
9th Feb 2018, 09:37
I've almost solved the Myna problem here. I built a trap (legal & plans readily available on the web) and have disposed of all but two who are a bit too smart. Occasionally, they have a chick or two, but I generally manage to get them before they're educated.
I reckon I could get the last two with a rat trap, but there are other birds that I want to keep happy.

Wist I could get to the same situation here in Sydney's west, suburb is so overrun by the flipping things that I don't even think breaking out a punt-gun for a month would make much of an impact.
If I had the means a slow and steady .177 airgun approach might work but as anything with a trigger now being regulated it's not an option. :ugh:

cattletruck
9th Feb 2018, 09:54
Polish the upper surfaces to a super slippery finish. Not only does it look great but in my circumstances my last cat soon learnt to avoid sitting on my car after he kept sliding off it.

DrJones
9th Feb 2018, 10:18
Hi

Thanks for your responses.

The reason I think itís foxes is because -

1) the poor prints are quite big
2) there is a lot of foxes around here.

The car Is parked in front of a wall and I think they are jumping on to car to get onto the wall. I can not see the car from where I live.

I went in to Halfords and they said the car covers are pretty much useless as the foxes will just rip it up.

Having a google of the stuff you can lay down by the car gets mixed reviews ie Scoot.

I like the idea of shooting the buggers but fearful of hitting the car and then the misses castrating me for my efforts.

I have seen a frequency scary. Do you know if these are any good and would it work if the device was left in the car. Donít think the neighbours would appreciate if started putting dog / lion / bulll crap around the car.

Cheers

Dj

jolihokistix
9th Feb 2018, 12:57
Put a mirror on top of the wall(?)
2-litre bottles of water are said to work against cats.
Get creative and let us know what worked!

treadigraph
9th Feb 2018, 14:03
Little bastards get into my garden via the shed roof and then crap on the lawn - so every now and then I fill an old drinking bottle with waste fluid of a certain type and squirt it over the roof - not sure how well it works though!

They also send my neighbour's dogs beserk, so extermination is desirable.

Vzlet
9th Feb 2018, 15:04
I like the idea of shooting the buggers but fearful of hitting the car and then the misses castrating me for my efforts.

I realize that's probably just a misspelling, but it reads like a painful ricochet! :eek:

Loose rivets
9th Feb 2018, 16:03
I'd be horrified to hear of a fox being shot with an air gun - except perhaps one that requires a firearms certificate because of its power.

The equipment being used to hunt foxes in the UK is the stuff of fiction, though at the moment it's mostly at the request of landowners. Many hundreds are killed a year, and the need for this saddens me but I'm assured it's necessary - indeed, vital.

Pontius Navigator
9th Feb 2018, 16:29
I just remembered I had significant success with a .177 air pistol against crows and pigeons at 50 yards. Sometimes two shots but never usually 3.

All perfectly safe, all I do is fire air, no pellets. The directional fire works.

MG23
9th Feb 2018, 20:11
I'd be horrified to hear of a fox being shot with an air gun - except perhaps one that requires a firearms certificate because of its power.

I've been watching some airgun videos from the UK on Youtube, and I've been quite amazed by the power of modern airguns. But, yeah, I'd be horrified by someone trying to kill a fox with the old .177 we used to have as a kid.

Hydromet
9th Feb 2018, 20:58
SnowFella, you'd be surprised at how effective the traps are. In the early days it was common to catch 2 or 3 mynas a day, using dried dog food as bait. A quick wring of the neck and they're sorted.

Pontius Navigator
10th Feb 2018, 09:17
You could get one of the animal charities to loan you a Larsen trap.

We caught a stray collie. Baited if with dog food. Second night she got the food, third night she sprung the trap.

Another confirmation that it is Fox is the poo stink and appearance.

Ex Cargo Clown
10th Feb 2018, 10:16
Once had a rabbit run, with some guinea pigs in it also. Fox got in it...... Result rabbit killed the fox. Evil little thing he was. But protected the guinea pigs, his little friends. Never trust a rabbit, or a cat.

NRU74
10th Feb 2018, 12:02
You could get one of the animal charities to loan you a Larsen trap.

I’ve got a wooden Larsen and was using it to thin out the magpies, and baited it with an egg.
A grey squirrel got in the trap, but it bit its way out.

G-CPTN
10th Feb 2018, 12:07
Once you have your fox in the Larsen trap - then what?

Ring up the local hunt?

Mechta
10th Feb 2018, 12:30
Once you have your fox in the Larsen trap - then what?

Ring up the local hunt?

Have a stern word with it, show it some pictures of fur gloves & coats, and make it clear that if it fox off and doesn't come back, that will be the end of the matter.

treadigraph
10th Feb 2018, 22:44
Once had a rabbit run, with some guinea pigs in it also. Fox got in it...... Result rabbit killed the fox. Evil little thing he was. But protected the guinea pigs, his little friends. Never trust a rabbit, or a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4

RatherBeFlying
11th Feb 2018, 00:01
http://blog.hellobc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/P7261209.jpg

They have a taste for salt. Too bad about the brake hoses:uhoh:

Anything made of plywood will also consumed by porcupines.

Mike6567
12th Feb 2018, 14:06
We have a FoxWatch (easily obtainable online), it can be battery operated and costs about 50 quid.
It seems to work OK to keep them away from our back area.
The garden centre where we first bought one had it guarding some bins covered by CCTV. The recordings showed the foxes approaching the bins and when the FoxWatch kicked in (high pitch sort of sound but to humans just a sort of click and quiet buzz) the animals would scatter.

treadigraph
12th Feb 2018, 14:30
We have a FoxWatch

Any effect on dogs, ie upsetting them, Mike?

Mike6567
12th Feb 2018, 15:52
Any effect on dogs, ie upsetting them, Mike?No, it doesn't seem to worry them.
The idea was to keep foxes from around the back door area (dogs inside) as in the night any roving foxes would get the dogs excited.

treadigraph
12th Feb 2018, 17:17
Thanks, may well invest - it may stop the foxes crapping and digging in my garden and also sending the neighbours' dogs into a frenzy!

Cheers! Or should I say "yoicks"!