PDA

View Full Version : Grade requirements for pilot sponsorship

shauny
21st Jul 2002, 12:49
hi

i duno if you guys are all american or what. but, im doing my A Levels over here in the UK. i was just wondering what sort of grades do you need at A Level to get pilot sponsorship through university and pilot training?

cheers

Piper Warrior Pilot
21st Jul 2002, 14:16
Ive asked this one myself a few time.

A levels: 2 A-C grades preferably in Physics and Maths but its better to get two A's in subjects you like than two D's in Physics and Maths. A degree is not essential.

As for GCSE's you will need 5 A-C grades including English Maths and Science.

Try doing a search on here you will find loads more information.

Hope this helps

shauny
21st Jul 2002, 15:48
thanks piper.

perhaps any people in the know (working for BA?) could tell me how likely it is for me, based on my grades to get a pilot sponsoship and what percentage sponsorship an airline would offer.

At GCSEs i done pretty mediocrely and got: 6 As and 3Bs. the As were in Maths, 2xscience, 2xenglish and french.

At A Level i hope to get ABB for Maths, Physics and Biology.

hmmm......not given much thought to uni but ive thought something along the lines of Physics with Theoretical Physics or even Aeronautical Engineering. i just want to go to uni as a fallback option and for the experience :)

so yeah, if there are any airline recruitment staff visiting this board, please feel free to help me out.

thanks to all

Piper Warrior Pilot
21st Jul 2002, 17:25
Im not sure how things are shaping up but as you will know, after september 11th, British Airways cancelled their sponsorship schemes along with a lot of other airlines. British Airways arent planning on starting their sponsorship again until quite a while after 2004.

You will find it hard to get sponsorship from an airline, it is one of those things which is a bonus down this long road which we all travel.

A while back, i was planning all of my hopes on sponsorship but now if i do get a sponsorship in the future then that is a BIG BIG bonus. We are all going to have to be prepared to fork out our money for the self improver routes.

Overall, correct me if im wrong, but sponsorship is not looking good, especially full sponsorship.

Chances of sponsorship about 1 in a million (well not exactly but you get my drift).

Sorry to sound so negative but as a student pilot myself, times like this can be hard and we all have to face the truth, which isnt looking good.

Elvis21
22nd Jul 2002, 10:55
I wouldn't worry too much about what your degree as long as you enjoy doing it.

Sponsorship looks a long way off at the mo so a degree is something good to have as a fall back. After all, you can carry on flying. Plus, you can apply for a student loan every year (admitedly you will need to use some of it to live on) and a graduate loan of up to £10,000 once you graduate. All this can be used to further your flying and they are paid back at much more favourable rates than a bank loan (i.e student loan is paid back at about 3%)

Seriph
23rd Jul 2002, 07:32
Shauny, you got A for English!! Don't worry about your exam grade, if you can't write forget it.

shauny
23rd Jul 2002, 22:02
ok thanks for the help guys. i had no idea english was highly required. i mean i know pilots have to write logs and reports etc but i thought maths and physics were the essentials.