View Full Version : Summer Fly In!!!

AerBabe
14th Jun 2001, 18:49
Due to popular demand (well, two other people thought it was a good idea) I'm going to try and organise a fly in to Sywell later in the summer. See the BHX Bash thread on the Bashes Forum for more details, but in brief:

Sywell is all grass, with a lovely bar, hotel and restaurant. Around £50 for a double room, but I'll look into the possibility of camping. Everyone would be required to wear Biggles-style fancy dress too ;)

Ja
14th Jun 2001, 21:02
Interested! err .... where is it?

14th Jun 2001, 21:36
Why grass? Kind of limits who can fly in doesn't it?
What about somewhere else round there?

MikeSamuel
14th Jun 2001, 21:38
Wahey! Looks like this thing is really going to work Babe, so get those hours in, I'm expecting a nice safe flight :)
Weather looks ominous for this Saturday though - boohoo http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
I have a tent and stuff, so camping would be good!

Regards

Mikey

Whirlybird
14th Jun 2001, 22:48
Sywell has BIG grass runways - we're not talking farm strips here. Landing there is easy, really, not a big deal.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

schooner
14th Jun 2001, 23:59
Ja, sywell is just northeast of northampton. Whirlys right, big long wide grass runways. Nice place,

cheers

scroggs
15th Jun 2001, 00:23
Big enough for a 747? Or WWW's 737?

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabes Forum Moderator
[email protected]

MikeSamuel
15th Jun 2001, 02:15
I'll lie down, and you can land that 747 on me, I'm long enough ;) ;) ;)

Look forward to seeing you all there...

Regards

Mike

Pielander
15th Jun 2001, 03:45
And for those of us without our own aircraft...?

Nice idea, but is this a serious proposition? How would it work? Are clubs generally willing to accommodate this sort of thing?

I'm not sure how amenable Pool Aviation would be with regard to my taking one of their aircraft for a 'dirty stopout'. I suspect 'not very'. :rolleyes:

Pie

MikeSamuel
15th Jun 2001, 12:55
You dont have to fly-in, you could just drive if you wanted to :)

Regards

Mike

AerBabe
15th Jun 2001, 14:20
As Whirly said, Sywell's strips are well maintained, long and wide, so there should be no problem getting in.

Most clubs should be happy to let their members borrow aircraft for the weekend. You'll just have to book it way in advance to make sure you can come!

And there IS always the driving option.....

capt_kangeroo
15th Jun 2001, 14:46
Count me in!

Cheers

Kanga

Vicious Squirrel
15th Jun 2001, 19:46
Hey there,

If there's the possibility of a lift I would really appreciate it, it's just not quite the same when you arrive on the ground! Anyone in the White Waltham/Wycombe/Elstree/Denem East/North London type area? I'd gladly share fuel and landing fees and I promise I'll get a haircut (hey Saggy, you listening)?! :)

VS

15th Jun 2001, 20:35
I know what Sywell's runways look like having been there a few times, it's just that some clubs, including mine, doesn't let it's aircraft land on grass because of insurance clauses.
What about a proper runway that can't be washed out after two days and great English weather???

Loony_Pilot
15th Jun 2001, 20:52
How about North Weald....

1920m of Tarmac.... the Squadron has a Bar, Restaurant and BBQ facilities
available. Plenty of Jets and Warbirds to have a look at too.

The airfield does have lots of other events on it but I'm sure a free date can be found.
one weekend

Contact me and I'll see what I can do.

LP

Pielander
15th Jun 2001, 22:46
Guess who's not coming to any future seminars! :rolleyes:

Delta Wun-Wun
15th Jun 2001, 23:34
If Scroggsy`s bringing one of his Aircraft,Bags the jump seat!!! :) :) :)

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Superpilot
15th Jun 2001, 23:52
Modulator?

lol.

------------------------------------------

I thought it was funny.

Whirlybird
16th Jun 2001, 01:05
Pielander,

You should have no problem at all with Pool Aviation. I flew from Welshpool until I discovered helicopters, and often took a Tomahawk away for a whole day at the weekend. They like you to fly around three hours, but there and back from Welshpool will be about that anyway. And they have no problem with grass; I've taken their aircraft to Derby and Barton.

Sywells's nice, and fairly central - not all of us live in the south-east.

------------------
Whirly

scroggs
16th Jun 2001, 03:22
Well, Mr Schuler_Tuned, I'm sorry if my little bon mot rattled your cage. It's called humour; look it up in the dictionary. I would not patronise anyone here, as I hope those who met me at the seminar will affirm. And I do hope that I can be present at the fly-in, wherever it may happen. Obviously (to me, at least), I cannot actually use one of Mr Branson's aircraft for such a purpose, and nor could WWW use his employer's machinery, but it's a nice thought. So allow me a little light sarcasm late in the evening when I thought I was on a friendly thread! Incidentally, I have landed on grass many times in 4-engined aircraft - some of those times you may have been a spectator!

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabes Forum Moderator
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by scroggs (edited 16 June 2001).]

16th Jun 2001, 14:33
Now North Weald does sound like a better venue. Long, hard runways and some decent stuff to see.
Any takers?

Autofly
16th Jun 2001, 19:44
Sywell sounds good ..... been there a couple of times. I'll be up for that. Delta Wun Wun, wind that 172 of yours up and lets go!!!

AF

MikeSamuel
17th Jun 2001, 22:01
Just noticed that Sywell are actually staging a fly-in in on the 21st of July...Anyone got any ideas what this would be like? Or shall we just do it in good ol' PPRuNe styleee?

Regards

Mike

Whirlybird
17th Jun 2001, 22:36
21st July sounds good to me. Let's go for it!

------------------
Whirly

AerBabe
18th Jun 2001, 14:45
No no no! Won't have my licence by then http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif Besides, wouldn't it be better to do a dedicated proon bash? Having said that, I might try and get a lesson on the 21st and pop in anyway hehehe Ahh, and I can't give you a lift without a licence Mike..... How does mid August sound as a starting point?

MikeSamuel
18th Jun 2001, 18:22
Mid August sounds good to me...Maybe I'll have managed to get my first lesson in by then, as the weather is being a complete bugger at the minute! Ah well, I suppose I better get used to it!

Regards

Mike