PDA

View Full Version : Getting the first commercial job abroad

joea
6th Feb 2018, 14:35
Recently I took up flying and I'm half way towards obtaining my PPL. Initially it was just for enjoyment but the more I progress the more I'd love to do it professionally. From discussions with instructors and a couple of recently recruited pilots I understand getting a position in the UK is extremely competitive and is even more difficult for modular students. This isn't to say I wouldn't try! Fortunately, I'm pretty flexible and I don't mind relocating internationally. Is it realistic to think that moving abroad is an option for a new UK commercial pilot looking to gain experience and hours? I'm thinking continents like Asia or Africa? If anything, the kind of flying (bush etc) that one might encounter in these areas excites me more than flying a jet around Europe.

redsnail
6th Feb 2018, 19:04
Ah yes...
Not a lot of bush flying in Asia. Only places I know is in Indonesia called Susi Air. Don't bother with Papua New Guinea. They do not take low houred pilots. Botswana etc have got harder to break into simply because they are preferring to hire locals.
What you need to research is where the scenic flights are, this is especially true for Africa. First question to ask "can I live and work there?", such as visas etc.
Second question, "what can I bring to the party?". Things like language skills, first aid knowledge, different vehicle drivers licences, engineering, computing skills, Dangerous Goods certificates etc.

Bush flying is fun.

Good luck.

WelshBarry
2nd Mar 2018, 12:54
Joea

Don't be put off by instructors (I assume you mean those instructing you for your PPL). They are a good bunch of course, but most want a commercial position really and some may be thinking you might get in their way. That's life. There is no reason that you can not get a position in the UK, even if your first one is not what you were hoping for. Any experience is good experience. I had to start on turboprops but eventually got onto jets and looking back I really enjoyed the turboprop experience.

A lot of people seem to delight in telling you how hard it will be to get a commercial flying job, but contrary to what a lot of posters say here on PPrune, there are still lots of opportunities for guys with the right attitude. Attitude is everything.

Good luck.

aircooled
3rd Mar 2018, 10:31
I'd like to send you a PM regarding your questions, but your profile won't allow it. I do think bush flying is an option, although redsnail's take on the matter is pretty accurate.

Piltdown Man
5th Mar 2018, 08:14
Bush flying is great fun but I fear you might not have the background or training to do it. The U.K. training syllabus, both PPL & CPL leaves you woefully short of the skills required, even in handling terms. Specifically flying without checklists, loading, engineering, proper short field and unprepared runway operations, simple DIY flight planning, mountain flying etc. Flogging along at 2,000’ with crappy drift lines and GPS is not good preparation. I got lucky. I was a glider and tug pilot and that taught me how to fly (in anything other than straight lines) and an Aussie CPL taught me how to operate commercially in the bush. You could get lucky, but you should be aware others may have a better background.

PM