PDA

View Full Version : How to fly in an FIR without permission

JammedStab
4th Feb 2018, 08:58
From an article about surrounding countries not allowing overflights to/from Israel.......

"For anyone wanting to get from Israel to Asia, there is a narrow corridor available down the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden, and across the Indian Ocean. This takes advantage of the fact that most countries operate with a 12NM rule – that is, if you’re in their FIR, and you’re 12NM away from the landmass, you don’t need a permit.

Israel’s national carrier El Al operates a couple of scheduled flights on this basis – one to Mumbai, and another to Bangkok"

"FL290 for southbound traffic, and FL300 for northbound. ATC at both Cairo and Saudi FIRs are used to that. When departing from Israel and going southbound, after losing radar contact with Cairo, you are on your own. Report on Africa VHF freq that you are "over International waters southbound / northbound etc." Listen to Saudi control and try to call them - but do not expect an answer. You will need to maintain your own separation visually, although the Saudis will see you on their radar and they are used to jets flying there. Keep your landing lights on 'pulse' for any opposite traffic. Contact Asmara (Eritrea) control 10NM before entering their FIR. Use SAT phone if no one answers on VHF."

Any other examples?

vapilot2004
4th Feb 2018, 09:42
I once talked with a gent that used to run that route regularly. I would imagine Qatar's national carrier has renewed interested in such things these days.

I am aware of US restrictions that once forced Cuban carriers to take a circuitous route to Canada, not unlike the South Africa overflight embargo of years gone by when their national airline flew 747SP's.

While not fitting the parameters of your example, there are a few South American countries that restrict foreign aircraft to specific corridors.

safelife
4th Feb 2018, 09:50
A certain operator using callsign "reach" is doing that all the time, flying 12 NM offshore of China, thru their FIRs. Getting called all the time, "identify yourself!"... "over international waters"...

galaxy flyer
4th Feb 2018, 14:44
State aircraft, safelife.. But, you knew that. In sovereign airspace, no permit required, but still have to abide by any FIR standards—cruising levels, equipage, etc. Spain restricted US military aircraft from conducting AAR over Spanish sovereign airspace, so we squeezed thru the straits. I’ve seen three different cells refueling at once there.

I was denied entry into Peruvian airspace, including their FIR, not long after they shot up a C-130. Not using a C-5 to establish international rights, I did a 135⁰ turn avoided their FIR with their dubious claim of 200nm. Big difference between “sovereign” and “international” airspace.

safelife
4th Feb 2018, 16:47
Correct, 12 NM is internationally accepted to be the law; 200 NM 'continental shelf' is a claim, mostly aimed at exploitation of resources (oil...).