PDA

View Full Version : emergency landing at edinburgh

jonathang
21st Jul 2002, 10:06
This morning at 11:00am Local, A monarch call sign 587 made an emergency landing on runway 24 at edinburgh.
A/C stopped on the runway and fire birgade had a look.

After the A/C was inspected it taxied to stand by its self.

It was no1 engine.

Any other info?

Gaza
21st Jul 2002, 12:38
On my way to EDI this morning I saw an aircraft executing a go-around while still over the Forth. I was then aware of a lot of activity from the emergency services with Fire Engines, Police and Ambulances heading towards the RVP's. When I arrived I could see the Airport Fire Service deployed at both ends of the runway. A Monarch A320 (G-UOBB???) then landed and was followed by the fire engines to the turning point at the western end of the runway. The fire service seemed to carry out a visual inspection and after about five minutes it taxied to the terminal under its own power. Both engines seemed to be running.

outofsynch
21st Jul 2002, 16:25
very boring isnt it!

jonathang
21st Jul 2002, 18:01
there was a second emergency landing of a dash -8 as well. Any info?

Oleo
21st Jul 2002, 18:02
Apparently it was a hydraulic problem.

ATCbabe
21st Jul 2002, 21:17
Jonny,

Stop trawling for gossip!!!!!! If I didn't know you I'd say you were an old fish wife!!!;) :p ;)

Tapster
22nd Jul 2002, 04:01
As an ex EGPH Atco from 20-30 years ago

YAAOOOWNNN

Its normally a daily occurrence but has to be taken seriously by ATC.

I'm sorry to say that the press in my day were totally inaccurate in any dealings (officially sanctioned) that I had with them,either to to with ATC or other interests I was involved with.

Nuff said

However I do commend ajamieson for being open and seeking the truth in his investigations. I hope he uses the information he gleans from this site in a responsible manner.

CaptAirProx
22nd Jul 2002, 13:01
Regarding the Dash...........it was a spurious indication.

ajamieson
22nd Jul 2002, 13:08
Tapster thank you.

I bet you a fiver though some journo could blow it out of all proportion and make it so dramatic and scary.

Air Vent sorry to disappoint you, but I found these incidents as boringly routine as the rest of you did. (You can keep the fiver, though:D) Even though it was a very quiet day yesterday (as anyone unfortunate enough still to be buying my newspaper will testify:o) I wouldn't touch these with a 10ft pole.

As for the Daily Mail's "seconds from death near miss drama" this morning...:mad:

EGPFlyer
22nd Jul 2002, 20:56
Is this the same Dash 8 that someone forgot to close a cargo door on the other day at Glasgow?

EGPFlyer
22nd Jul 2002, 20:58
Mr Jamieson,

It wasn't your newspaper that had those awful 'a day in the life' features on Glasgow and Edinburgh airports today, was it?

ajamieson
22nd Jul 2002, 23:31
It wasn't your newspaper that had those awful 'a day in the life' features on Glasgow and Edinburgh airports today, was it?

Absolutely not, I'm pleased to say. They were, I agree, utter nonsense. EGPFlyer, I hope your excuse for reading that particular publication (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/breakingfeed/page.cfm?objectid=12055472&method=full) is that you found a copy lying around somewhere ;)

CaptAirProx
23rd Jul 2002, 05:39
EGPF, I doubt it regarding the door. Be more specific? So what if you forgot to shut the door. Was it staying over night or going flying?
I would imagine the flight deck would have noticed as you get several lights showing including an LCD pictorial display of all the door positions anyhow! Sounds a load of cobblers to me.

EGPFlyer
23rd Jul 2002, 15:00
Mr Jamieson, someone left it at work on the desk....honest!

CaptAirProx,

Definately not cobblers!

The aircraft in question called mayday on climbout after getting a warning that the cargo door was open....now whether or not it was a false warning, I don't know, but he came back in a hurry!

Also, it wouldn't be the 1st time that I've seen an aircraft leave the stand with a hold door open, although I doubt that was the case.

canberra
24th Jul 2002, 17:55
aircraft taking off with a door open eh? sounds like ciivy airports need runway controllers to do last look checks!

Wheelybin
25th Jul 2002, 00:00
We'd be more than happy to. Of course we would have to be able to actually see the runway first!!

CaptAirProx
25th Jul 2002, 17:37
EGPF, fair enough. But I just thought to say someone had forgot to shut the door was a bit harsh! I would imagine it was a case of the door not quite seating itself on the microswitch. The switches on the doors have very little tolerance and I believe as this a/c is a new type on the fleet, the engineers are having to tweek a few gotchas. There is a technique to closing the door correctly and the chaps on the ground are still learning!