PDA

View Full Version : A330 - Trent 700 - Automatic Start Inhibition

E50P100
2nd Feb 2018, 00:07
Could someone help me with this contradiction:

"Automatic start abort is inhibited on ground, when N3 is above 50% or in flight."
This sentence was extracted from my latest A330 FCOM (07-2017).

I was always instructed to not maintain my hand on the Engine Master Switch during an automatic engine start on ground, since the FADEC would automatically abort it in case of a problem.

My questions are, shouldn't I have been maintaining my hand on it to manually abort a start that had a problem when the N3 was above 50%?

Is it possible to have start problems when the N3 is above 50%? If so, why is it inhibited and why pilots are not instructed to maintain their hands on the engine master switch during ground starts?

Thank you all in advance and sorry for the English mistakes.

applecrumble
3rd Feb 2018, 14:12
The FADEC won't automatically shut the engine down above 50% N3 so the ECAM standard task sharing applies. This will have the required actions in case of an abnormal above 50% N3.

E50P100
7th Feb 2018, 20:55
Thank you for your reply, but I just can’t imagine the crew dealing with a start problem with the N3 above 50% by ECAM actions. In my mind, a problem in these circumstances (high N3 rotation) would require a fast manual start abort to preserve the engine. Nevertheless, it makes sense and probably was the best way of dealing with these kind of start problems that Airbus considered.

If anyone has ever had a problem like this, it’d be really helpful to illustrate this scenario.