PDA

View Full Version : New BBC Weather website

hiflymk3
1st Feb 2018, 22:23
Checked the BBC weather as I usually do only to find a shiny new website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/tn34

To get my local weather I have to enter my postcode but before I can do that I have to register. So I click on Register and the first question I get is asking my Date of Birth.

All I want is the effing weather forecast, not an effing birthday card. :ugh:

I'll be looking elsewhere for weather forecasts.

KelvinD
1st Feb 2018, 22:30
I just checked the BBC weather and got the usual, bog standard version (22:20)

G-CPTN
1st Feb 2018, 22:32
I do not have a television licence, as I do not have a television, nor do I watch 'live' television on my computer, yet, now I need to register if I want to listen to BBC Radio online via my computer - either live or via iPlayer.
I consider this to be an excess of 'control' by the BBC.

WRT weather forecasts, try https://www.theweatheroutlook.com

finfly1
1st Feb 2018, 22:50
Is there necessarily any penalty for giving other than a true DOB?

TWT
1st Feb 2018, 22:54
Sounds like an attempt to restrict access by users outside the UK via VPN.

Highway1
1st Feb 2018, 22:58
Just tried it from Mexico and it works fine..

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Feb 2018, 23:04
Is there necessarily any penalty for giving other than a true DOB?
You get puzzled "happy birthday" greetings from emails and social media. The other possible drawback is when you forget your password, and asking for your birthday is one way to retrieve it, and you've forgotten the fake birthday too.

jack11111
2nd Feb 2018, 00:58
Does not ask me to register or enter DOB. Near KSQL

Tolsti
2nd Feb 2018, 04:18
I just put in Pattaya and it seems like a high of 30c here today and a low of 26c..... that'll do for me.

I always avoid ATMs on my Birthday as the ones here play Happy Birthday to you before giving you the cash!

wiggy
2nd Feb 2018, 05:52
The reasons for the change is given here.

BBC Blogs - Internet Blog - Change in the Weather (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/dc3468bf-dd27-4c25-ae92-7622d6ba3e48)

All the standard buzzwords and excuses of course.

Edit to add: First time I tried logging in this AM it defaulted to a seemingly random U.K. postcode and asked me to either log in or register, when I tried a second time it happily took me to worldwide weather without asking anything intrusive...

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2018, 06:02
The BBC ended their previously useful Travel service.

It seems that requiring users to sign in is aimed at 'providing a more personalised service'- which I can do without.

4mastacker
2nd Feb 2018, 06:25
If there were Oscars for bullsh** buzzword bingo, the BBC would walk away with the lot.

Krystal n chips
2nd Feb 2018, 06:44
No change here in the Derbyshire tundra, but, as this is part of that fabled Beeb land "The Weejons " then presumably the peasantry will just have to wait their turn.

On the other hand, the good old Met Office ( albeit now also doing a credible impression of "Pearl and Dean " complete with helpful explanation as to why ) still offers the best option.

Although for an organisation with a super computer, it's amusing to see a pretty cloud with a bit of sun at the top above the "Now" forecast..... when most of the North Atlantic is falling earthwards outside.

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2018, 06:58
Wasn't there a recent 'divorce' between the Met Office and the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34031785)?
The Met Office has provided data for the BBC’s weather forecasts since the corporation’s first radio weather bulletin in November 1922. However, the BBC announced two years ago it would seek a replacement as part of a cost-cutting drive.

jack11111
2nd Feb 2018, 07:05
Rather bad reception going on in the comments section of the new WX page.

chevvron
2nd Feb 2018, 07:10
Don't like the new format but I suppose I'll get used to it.
My main 'bug' is that whereas they used to give an 'actual' for Farnborough (presumably via the Semi Automatic Weather Station on the airfield owned by the Met Office and also used by Farnborough ATC), now they give an ob from 'Wisley'. I don't know what sort of obs station could be at Wisley though so I don't trust it; presumably it's at the RHS Gardens rather than on the old airfield.
I use the BBC site in conjunction with Will it Rain Today? | Rain radar for the UK | Going to rain? | MeteoGroup (http://www.raintoday.co.uk) which shows actual rainfall.

KelvinD
2nd Feb 2018, 07:10
I use the Met Office app on my phone and the "now" thing amuses me. And then, one day, I noticed their definition of "now" means "updated an hour ago".
One day I was at Heathrow, taking photos. I had gone there on the basis the Met Office had predicted some decent weather. Having endured some pretty heavy cloud, when sunshine and/or sunny spells had been forecast and were showing no change for the time I was there, I got fed up. I took a photo of the heavy overcast and emailed it to the Met Office with a single question: "How do you square this with your current forecast?". No reply but about 45 minutes the forecast was suddenly updated to a more accurate view of current conditions.

Wingswinger
2nd Feb 2018, 07:22
What new BBC weather webpage? It doesn't matter what route I use I get to the old one every time.

BBC Weather (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/)

wiggy
2nd Feb 2018, 07:28
What new BBC weather webpage? It doesn't matter what route I use I get to the old one every time.

BBC Weather (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/).

When I click on your link it very definitely takes me to the new site, complete with adverts...it even has a little section entitled “welcome to our new site” !!

Wingswinger
2nd Feb 2018, 07:34
There's something odd going on then. I've just been taken to the old one (again). Try this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

sitigeltfel
2nd Feb 2018, 08:05
When the web nerds say they have "improved" something, you know grief is just around the corner.

VP959
2nd Feb 2018, 08:15
The BBC web sites have been getting steadily less user-friendly for years. There is so much self-starting video content now that the news site just hangs for me, and with the addition of two large white bands either side, squeezing the content into a narrow strip down the centre of the screen, made even the text had to read on my laptop.

Like most organisations, it seems to focus on those living in large cities, with good infrestructure, and ignores the few million of us that have to put up with slow connection speeds.

Mind you, the BBC isn't alone in doing this, I sometimes think they are just following the trend set by the nerds that designed some of their competitors efforts.

I notice that I can't now get the data from BDN on the new BBC website, which is a nuisance, as it's a pretty accurate for my location. Maybe the Met Office have a better offering.

timgill
2nd Feb 2018, 08:43
I stopped using the BBC site when I discovered this one. Most weather sites list a few thousand places around the world; this has ten million.

As far as I know it's the only site giving a separate listing for Lord's Cricket Ground - that did it for me when I needed to know last summer.

If you don't speak Norwegian just click on the Language button (top right-hand corner).

Why do the Norwegians seem to be best at everything? Airlines, weather sites, fjords, short URLs - you name it!

yr.no

CargoMatatu
2nd Feb 2018, 09:03
Just tried it from Luxembourg and it works fine.

ExSp33db1rd
2nd Feb 2018, 09:15
Works OK for New Zealand, too, even gives me a location a few miles away from home, 'cept it is a bit sparse on detail. Have better local ones of course.

Yarpy
2nd Feb 2018, 09:19
To get my local weather I have to enter my postcode but before I can do that I have to register. So I click on Register and the first question I get is asking my Date of Birth.

All I want is the effing weather forecast, not an effing birthday card. :ugh:

I don't want to be tracked by the Big Brother Corporation either.

So:

1. Create a new email address.

2. Register with a date of birth showing you are over 75.

3. Use the Broadcasting House postcode.

4. Each time they ask 'do you have a licence' tick 'Yes.

The last question is the only legal requirement. I have a TV Licence but the BBC doesn't respect my privacy so they have no right to the other information.

cattletruck
2nd Feb 2018, 10:22
Geez the website that provides the source data to all other commercial weather sites is actually rather lame:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk

Ours is pretty cool even if it's a bit dated looking:

Australia's official weather forecasts & weather radar - Bureau of Meteorology (http://www.bom.gov.au)

DType
2nd Feb 2018, 16:45
After an aborted climbing trip due to the gulf between the brilliant forecast and the actual weather, a meteorologist had the misfortune to meet me socially:-
"Why don't they pay you guys by the accuracy of your forecasts?
"No one would take the job on those terms"
Says it all!

andytug
2nd Feb 2018, 17:27
I've started using Windy.com, starts off as wind forecast but one click on your location and normal forecast available.

Heathrow Harry
2nd Feb 2018, 17:30
Use the Met Office - it's better................

and there is no law requiring you to enter a correct dob, email or post code

UpaCreak
2nd Feb 2018, 18:32
Just watched the BBC weather at 18:30, Lucy "something" the presenter.....what a stunner

DType
2nd Feb 2018, 20:46
I tried a spoof email address, it was rejected!

hiflymk3
2nd Feb 2018, 21:52
BBC Blogs - Internet Blog - Change in the Weather (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/dc3468bf-dd27-4c25-ae92-7622d6ba3e48)

706 comments on the blog, nearly all saying it's rubbish. Mr Burnett must have been so proud of his baby before it launched. Wonder what he's thinking now.

ExSp33db1rd
2nd Feb 2018, 21:59
"Why don't they pay you guys by the accuracy of your forecasts?
"No one would take the job on those terms"

RAF Flying training, social evening in the Mess, a colleague asked the Metman if it was going to snow that night, i.e. flying cancelled in the morning ?

No chance, seen the charts, got the info, scrutinised the Tephigrams etc. etc.

Then someone called out, "Hey, Bob, look out of the window - it's snowing"

TURIN
2nd Feb 2018, 22:01
I do not have a television licence, as I do not have a television, nor do I watch 'live' television on my computer, yet, now I need to register if I want to listen to BBC Radio online via my computer - either live or via iPlayer.
I consider this to be an excess of 'control' by the BBC.

So you want to use BBC provided services but are not prepared to pay for it? Hmmm.

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2018, 22:10
So you want to use BBC provided services but are not prepared to pay for it? Hmmm.

Are you saying that I should pay full fare when I don't use the major services?

I have previously paid when I did use TV.
When TV went digital I lost the signal (no digital radio signal either due to lack of line of sight to the transmitter).

yellowtriumph
2nd Feb 2018, 23:05

From the official TV Licence website:

Official TV Licensing website - Do I need a TV Licence to listen to the radio? (http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ102)

"No, you do not need a TV Licence to listen to the radio (including on BBC iPlayer)."

Krystal n chips
3rd Feb 2018, 08:43
Ahem....back to the Met Office and their "Now" forecast...

At the time of this post, "Now " is showing "heavy rain / 90% " ......alas, it is in fact, erm...... snowing. :D

cdtaylor_nats
3rd Feb 2018, 08:55
I want ATMs that make the sound of a Las Vegas slot machine when they give you money.

Private jet
3rd Feb 2018, 23:44
Try windy.com, far superior.

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Feb 2018, 15:54
The new BBC weather requirement to log in now seems to have spread generally. I have asked the ICO whether this really counts as "necessary" under the GDPR.

VP959
11th Feb 2018, 16:02
The new BBC weather requirement to log in now seems to have spread generally. I have asked the ICO whether this really counts as "necessary" under the GDPR.

What really annoys me about this is that if I do log in, in order to view video content that is only available to supposed licence payers (and frankly I can't see how on earth they can prove that) it sets a cookie that then automatically logs me in to any other BBC site. So if I go back a day or two later and go to the BBC News website, for example, it just logs me in automatically, whether I want the damned BBC to log me in or not.

I'm sure I can find a work around that gets rid of all this nonsense, but it shouldn't happen in the first place, in my view.

Sallyann1234
11th Feb 2018, 16:20
Meteo Group, who now provide the BBC weather, also have an excellent service with their phone apps.
A modest subscription gives you very detailed hour-by-hour information for your exact location.
They also have a Rain Today app, that tells you how many minutes before rain will start and how many minutes before it will finish. I've found it to be quite remarkably accurate.

ZOOKER
11th Feb 2018, 16:31
I use the Met Office site and their aviation briefing page. It's free to register and you get METARS and TAFs, along with airfield Wx Warnings.

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Feb 2018, 16:40
I use the Met Office site and their aviation briefing page. It's free to register and you get METARS and TAFs, along with airfield Wx Warnings.
Yes, I use that, but (without a paid subscription) it doesn't go as far forward as the BBC site.

G-CPTN
11th Feb 2018, 17:04
I continue to use https://www.theweatheroutlook.com

Mr Oleo Strut
11th Feb 2018, 22:52
The new BBC weather presentation seems to work ok for me, though it's pretty basic. I find that the graphics on the Czech world weather site Ventusky site are particularly clear and easy to follow.