PDA

View Full Version : 'Day Zero' in Cape Town

TWT
1st Feb 2018, 19:28
https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/02/life-in-cape-town-after-day-zero/552113/

The dams are almost dry and severe rationing is about to begin. They're rushing to get desalination plants built. It will get worse before it gets better.

A city of 4 million people with precious little water will present major challenges to all residents.

Cape Town has the most breathtaking views of any city I've visited, I hope the crisis is resolved eventually and that they get a lot of rain when it's next due.

meadowrun
1st Feb 2018, 19:41
I'm waiting for the blame game to begin.

ian16th
1st Feb 2018, 19:41
They need a lot of rain, before its next due.

ian16th
1st Feb 2018, 19:43
I'm waiting for the blame game to begin.
It has begun.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/water_crisis

Pontius Navigator
1st Feb 2018, 20:16
Same as the blame anywhere, snow in Britain, earthquake in California or nuclear reactor anywhere.

Fareastdriver
1st Feb 2018, 21:20
I like the one where two people were bust trying to SMUGGLE water into Cape Town.

How do you smuggle water into a drought ridden city? It reminds me of the rationing period in the UK where the government were burning sugar so as to keep the supply in balance with the official ration.

MG23
1st Feb 2018, 21:21
People have been warning about the collapse of South Africa's infrastructure for years. So the only real surprise is that this has taken so long.

Trossie
1st Feb 2018, 23:50
When the population of that fairly small area has increased by about a third in the past 15 or so years, one has to ask what increased water supply provisions were built? Drought or no drought, that has to be a very. very important question to ask.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Feb 2018, 00:32
Further in the future (but not that far) I can see Australia going the same way.

Meanwhile in Cornwall, in 40 years I have never seen my land so waterlogged. I wish I could flog some of the stuff to Cape Town!

oldpax
2nd Feb 2018, 01:14
If there is spare generation then Reverse Osmosis is a better and quicker solution than desalination plants.Plenty of trailer units can be in operation in days!

WingNut60
2nd Feb 2018, 01:37
If there is spare generation then Reverse Osmosis is a better and quicker solution than desalination plants.Plenty of trailer units can be in operation in days!

RO treatment of what? Sewage?
That's a hard package to sell.

Plenty of trailer units can be in operation in days!

That's an over-simplification but Yes. And only if you have them sitting around.

Southern Australia, with similar climate to South Africa is already in a similar situation. Stream inflows in the catchment areas have dropped dramatically over the last 30+ years despite annual rainfall not decreasing by much at all.
Perth population, as an example, has more or less doubled in the same period.
Water restrictions implemented 20+ years ago plus massive investment in desalination and waste water recycling into groundwater aquifers is keeping up with the problem s far, but the future looks rather bleak.

SoundBarrier
2nd Feb 2018, 01:45
In the mean-time unlawful settlements continue to take water without restriction (I am not saying don't have water - but restrictions need to be managed somehow).

meadowrun
2nd Feb 2018, 02:31
Desalinization plants and R.O. are expensive, require many to get volumes required for that size of requirement and do require a modicum of rational planning to get up and running.

I understand Rhodesia has lots of water and also a lot of not gainfully unemployed people. They could use a few Rand.
How about a long bucket brigade? The buckets would get lighter the closer they got to Cape Town as all the taxes, fees, theft and spillage are accounted for and then promptly lost.

alwayzinit
2nd Feb 2018, 08:06
How about an iceberg towed into False Bay?

jolihokistix
2nd Feb 2018, 08:57
Interesting article in NZ.
Drought is real? but dams and irrigation are not the answer | GREENPEACE New Zealand (http://www.greenpeace.org/new-zealand/en/blog/drought-is-real-but-dams-and-irrigation-are-n/blog/57116/)
In the Sameura dam area of Shikoku (Japan) where they have regular severe drought, farmers have stopped growing water-intensive rice and switched over to wheat.

Yamagata ken
2nd Feb 2018, 09:46
[QUOTE=jolihokistix In the Sameura dam area of Shikoku (Japan) where they have regular severe drought, farmers have stopped growing water-intensive rice and switched over to wheat.[/QUOTE]

Really? Drought in Japan? References please, and not Greenpeace.

NutLoose
2nd Feb 2018, 09:55
They used to deliver tankers of fresh drinking water to Gibraltar, I cannot see why the likes of that cannot be done.

Shortages of water between 1949 and 1986 led to the costly temporary expedient of importing water from the United Kingdom, the Netherlands or Morocco. On a few occasions, newly commissioned oil tankers were employed to carry up to 36,000 cubic metres (1,300,000 cu ft) of water at a time, taking advantage of their maiden voyages to the Middle East to carry the water in tanks that had not yet been contaminated with oil productshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_sanitation_in_Gibraltar

In the 90's Northumbria looked at similar going the other way as Gib has a desalination plant now.

whatever happened to

http://www.hyfluxmembranes.com/products-and-systems/floating-desalination-production-vessel-fdpv

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2018, 10:09
In the 90's Northumbria looked at similar going the other way as Gib has a desalination plant now.

I find that difficult to believe, as Kielder Water (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielder_Water) holds 200 billion litres (44 billion gallons) and has underground springs ensuring that it always remains at high levels, regardless of the prevailing climate condition.

jolihokistix
2nd Feb 2018, 10:30
Yamagata Ken, the only good resources I can find are in Japanese.

This is in rather poor English and gives no real understanding: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jjmf1987/9/4/9_4_285/_pdf

Still it is well known that the north of Shikoku relies on the Sameura Dam, but unfortunately the nature of the shale there means that however much rain falls, it tends to drain away, so by early summer each year drought warnings begin to be issued. Some years are more severe than others, but the cities around the north of the island there are well used to having the pressure turned down, and down, and down again as the water level falls.

rjtjrt
2nd Feb 2018, 11:56

Southern Australia, with similar climate to South Africa is already in a similar situation. Stream inflows in the catchment areas have dropped dramatically over the last 30+ years despite annual rainfall not decreasing by much at all.
Water restrictions implemented 20+ years ago plus massive investment in desalination and waste water recycling into groundwater aquifers is keeping up with the problem s far, but the future looks rather bleak.

So, if that is true, wouldn’t it be a good idea to stop the population growth, rather than be Lemming like?

NutLoose
2nd Feb 2018, 12:17
I find that difficult to believe, as Kielder Water (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielder_Water) holds 200 billion litres (44 billion gallons) and has underground springs ensuring that it always remains at high levels, regardless of the prevailing climate condition.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qirl4ysxvgcC&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=gibraltar+water+northumbria+drought&source=bl&ots=Vy-8kn01wK&sig=z3FBMX6EYVGWQHrTPEWX8Yhok2s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs2sDemofZAhXqAsAKHdj8AowQ6AEIYjAK#v=onepage&q=gibraltar%20water%20northumbria%20drought&f=false

Page 111

oldpax
2nd Feb 2018, 12:20
Wingnut60,last time I looked Cape Town was next to the ocean,RO plants like seawater .One trailer unit will produce approx half a mill gallons a day.Expensive to run?Thought S.A. had lots of power ,if the situation is that dire money does not come into it.There will be units to rent in probably the USA and the Emirates.The last plant I ran came from Dubai.with trailer units all you need is a place to drop your suction into and a electricity supply,not a lot of planning needed for that!My old company would have some up and running in two months!!Has car washing been banned along with watering golf courses(I do not play golf) and other similar wasteful practices?Get to it!!!

ExXB
2nd Feb 2018, 12:35
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_export Perhaps Alaska would be interested?

M.Mouse
2nd Feb 2018, 22:12
I am not sure who this lady is but found this piece elsewhere on the internet. It is interesting reading.

2018/02/01, 09:20:27: Susanne Streun: A long article but interesting take on the politics behind our water situation:

WHAT DO I THINK IS REALLY GOING ON BEHIND THE CAPE TOWN WATER CRISES SHIT SHOW?

I've been asked a few times. So I've taken a bit of time to answer to save airtime and circumvent the inability to do so adequately on whatsapp or Twitter

So let me get this straight. #Drought #WesternCape #DayZero : This has taken me quite a while to figure out. Cape Town is facing running out of water. A major metropole. The implications do not affect Cape Town or Western Cape. The implications affect the whole nation.

Granted the citizens on the coal face are Capetonians but make no mistake the citizens of South Africa will feel the pain.

The Cape is a material contributor to the national economy. There are millions of citizens around the country who have family, relatives and friends living in the Western Cape.

What is staring a major metropole in the face is a reflection of what is and has been happening in increasing numbers of small and large towns across the country.

This latter fact has been largely ignored. Out of sight out of mind. Its out in the open now.

This water crises is about BULK water supply and who controls it.

That's it, nothing more.

It's about power.

Under law the Western Cape government can NOT supply BULK water. This means under law Western Cape Government cannot build dams or engage in any activity related to making provision for their own future water security.

Bulk water supply is the exclusive purview of the National Department of Water Affairs and Sanitation (DWAS) under a Minister in the ANC Government and this purview extends to every drop of water stored and supplied in BULK (Dams and one day DESALINATION PLANTS) in the whole of South Africa.

As recently as 14 December 2017, the Minister of Water Affairs sent a letter to Hellen Zille instructing the Western Cape Government, or advising if you prefer, that Government had appointed Umgeni Water out of Kwazulu Natal to come solve the problem by building a desalination plant in Cape Town.

The directive goes on to reference a site at the V&A Waterfront, the exact site earmarked by the Western Cape Government months ago in their emergency response to the looming catastrophe.

However in the case of the Western Cape Government response, their plans are in a far advanced stage, with EOI and tenders in some instances concluded.

Changing course now will delay the building of this desalination plant by months.

So what gives?

Well Umgeni Water is where Government redeployed Dudu Myeni after she brought SAA to its knees.

She is a master of obfuscation, dishonesty, deceit and deception.

The Ministers directive is meant to portray Government taking charge and coming to the rescue, when in fact it's about who controls the capital expense and who gets the tender.

In October 2017 newspaper reports indicate Umgeni Water might soon be in need of a R3billion bailout.

Newspapers also ran stories regarding an interim Board being appointed at 'embattled' Umgeni Water by Minister Nomvula Mokonyane.

Newspapers reported a letter to Mokonyane, lawyers acting for asset manager Futuregrowth accused the minister of illegally appointing Msizi Cele as both Umgeni's acting chief executive and accounting officer; illegally replacing Cele with Thami Hlongwa in both positions; and giving herself the power to appoint chief executives.

Futuregrowth holds Umgeni Water bonds as Asset Manager for Old Mutual.

So let's get this straight.

You have a patently tainted SOE dispatched with alacrity to solve a water crises by a Minister in a patently tainted Government controlled by a patently tainted Zuma cabinet in a Province controlled by an opposition party, in the greater interests of its citizens who voted against you.

A province that already has the distinction of having the only major metropole with its entire main line shut down. Another service under the exclusive purview of National Government provided by SOE Metro Rail and Transnet.

Imagine the SOWETO main line being shut down indefinitely.

Coincidence?

I don't think so. But that's another story.

It's about many, many things.

But really it's about the HIV/AIDS pandemic and Government response under Mbeki. When we turned to beetroot and cabbage remedy mentality in response to a catastrophe that many suggest claimed 300 000 lives.

I strongly suspect it was the realisation of money to be made that shifted government policy from beetroot to condoms and ARV's hence their obsession with the supply of former and latter with safer sex campaigns almost non existent today.

It's about the demonstration of total contempt for the value of human lives.

It's also about gross mismanagement, gross inefficiency, gross negligence, gross incompetence, gross ignorance, gross shortsightedness, ostrich mentality and State Capture.

Which in turn are all about who has the power and who controls the water once it starts flowing again because they will control the revenue and the province and with that a leverage of power.

Which point to deliberate and consequential political, economic and industrial sabotage on a devastating scale by the ANC central Government against the entire people of the Western Cape.

If you think of the current national government as some benevolent uncle you are deeply mistaken as mistaken in thinking National Government is dealing with the crises with any genuine intent, appetite or desire much less honesty, transparency or genuine concern for its people.

Do you really believe after years of scandals, of corruption, ineptitude and plunder the Government has all of a sudden turned some invisible corner?

After being fed a daily diet of bile, a diet of abuse of power, abuse of state, abuse of resources and revenue, of patronage, State capture and haemoraging economy by National Government are you still going to suggest this crises belongs anywhere else whatsoever other than on the shoulders of those who own it?

I think not.

If you think Provincial Government are getting any bi-partisan co-operation, to resolve this crises from Zuma''s government you've got flies in your brains.

The Western Cape is the potential trigger point for a hoped for and intended national disaster I am increasingly coming to strongly suspect.

Business Day, 29 January 2018 - "Cape Town risks having its municipal bonds cut to junk by Moody’s because of its water crisis.

"Two of Cape Town’s main industries, tourism and agriculture, are likely to decline [because of the water crisis], reducing employment, gross value added and tax income," Moody’s associate analyst Daniel Mazibuko wrote in a research note released on Monday.

"Other effects include threats to public health from poor sanitation and, more generally, to social order, which is significant given Cape Town’s marked income inequality.""

What this is saying in a nutshell is that Cape Town as ground zero is potentially the epicenter of potential civil unrest which will start among the poor and spread to engulf the entire pininsula and beyond.

If ever the time and opportunity were present to fan the flames of anarchy, dissention and revolution in this country for the many being primed to hate by a post Mandela ANC, this is it.

It has the potential to prove the ideal recipe for state intervention leading to a state of emergency, the imposition of martial law and very possibly lead to wider civil unrest and even civil war.

All of this while Zuma remains in power and ultimate control of the ANC Government and supported by a minority by smallest of margin of most those belonging to the ANC Political Party.

So when next you read or talk about the crises in Western Cape ask your self who stands to lose most by not finding a solution and who stands to gain most by one not being found.

Then ask yourself who has the power to do something.

If the one with the power to do something also happens to be the one who benefits the most from infrastructure, service and delivery collapse, it stands to reason they have a conflict of interest.

It is a conflict that arises naturally out of the conflation of Party and State, where the political party sees itself as the State because they are the majority party in Government.

Which of course they're not because we are after all a multi party Democracy.

The ANC furthers the aims of its supporters and State furthers the aims of the people.

There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that the crises unfolding in the Western Cape is in great part attributable to a corrupt and dysfunctional ANC.

There is little to sweet bugger all Western Cape Government can do about it except try alert people and do whatever they can to get people to use less water.

This in the face of social media campaign's of 'unknown' origin openly encouraging the grand scale wastage of tap water to push the City of Cape Town over the brink and into total anarchy.

In my mind this is no more or less just another opportunity to open a new front in a political, economic and ideological war steeped in race based dogma and hate.

The sooner the people of the Western Cape realise how much they are despised and resented by their ANC government and the sooner they realise what their elected Provincial government is up against the better.

So thank all of you who've been asking for my analysis of late of the situation in the Western Cape.

After many attempts to answer on the fly and time it takes I decided to write it down so you and others who want can read it at your leasure.

Please if you think my analysis or hypothesis have merit please send to your friends.

Finally, vasbyt. Be kind to one another. Stand together and help anyone you can. Above all SAVE WATER as if your life depend on it. Start petitions and demand Central Government release your taxes to Western Cape Government to build desalination plants now and to fund other measures.

If it's about control, Province can build it and allow Government to buy it back.

So stop shouting at Province and start shouting at Government.

Mac the Knife
3rd Feb 2018, 13:33
Pretty much sums it up nicely M Mouse

[And, oldpax, if you, "Thought S.A. had lots of power", then you are,
to put it politely, "misinformed".]

Mac

WingNut60
3rd Feb 2018, 14:07
So, if that is true, wouldn’t it be a good idea to stop the population growth, rather than be Lemming like?

I don't disagree.
I have a strong personal belief that the vast majority of earth's problems, environmental and social, can be attributed to unconstrained population growth.
"Stop the population growth"? It ain't gonna happen; not anytime soon.

It will eventually though.

WingNut60
3rd Feb 2018, 14:18
Wingnut60,last time I looked Cape Town was next to the ocean,RO plants like seawater .One trailer unit will produce approx half a mill gallons a day.Expensive to run?Thought S.A. had lots of power ,if the situation is that dire money does not come into it.There will be units to rent in probably the USA and the Emirates.The last plant I ran came from Dubai.with trailer units all you need is a place to drop your suction into and a electricity supply,not a lot of planning needed for that!My old company would have some up and running in two months!!Has car washing been banned along with watering golf courses(I do not play golf) and other similar wasteful practices?Get to it!!!

I'm not real sure what you're saying but I'm not arguing.
You seem to be differentiating between desalination plants and RO.
The majority of newer desalination plants ARE RO plants.
The one just south of Perth is an RO plant and produces about 25 million gallons of water per day - almost 20% of Perth's water needs.

The Melbourne plant has a capacity of about 90 million gallons per day.

Yes, it is expensive. But so are the alternatives.
For now at least, the cost is bearable.

anxiao
3rd Feb 2018, 14:32
The article found by Mouse is accurate to my local knowledge.

I might add that it has been the stated and minuted intention of the ANC to make the Western Cape province "Ungovernable".

The main reason for this is that it is the only province that is effectively run. The roads are fixed, the buses work, the schools get furniture and books, corruption is at a low level etc etc. This is because it is run by the opposition DA party who are determined to make it work, and to minimise corruption.

The ANC have tried for years to stimulate civil unrest in the Western Cape. They bus in new residents from the Eastern Cape with a small cash handout on the promise of jobs and housing, neither of which exist. The youth wing of the ANC are sent to foment civil unrest, which mysteriously runs out of steam when their handouts run out.

This drought is a Godsend for the ANC. The central government, as mentioned in
Streun's article, control mass water distribution in the country. Indeed the central government control all utilities, and it is illegal to provide either water or electricity privately.

So all the ANC have to do is to prevaricate and delay any new water schemes such as dams, deep aquifer access or desalination, as they have done over the past 20 years, and eventually they will be able to trumpet that the Western Cape government has failed. Street protests of "Service Delivery" will be spun in the government news services as the result of Western Cape incompetence.

It is difficult to get the real story out there, as the vast majority of South Africans receive their only news from the South African Broadcasting Corporation, SABC, which has been corruptly run and only produced biased government sweet news for many years. Most of the ANC supporters follow SABC, many unaware of the bias.

It does not help the honest man in the street that western companies such as Ball Pottygoer and KindlyPutMoreGeld etc etc assist in the disfunction of the government. At least both those companies have been sent away with their tails between their legs, which gives hope.

Being affected by it all, I shall continue to let it mellow, as it is yellow, and eke out my 50 litres per day.

jolihokistix
3rd Feb 2018, 14:46
Time for Cape Town to declare independence?

radeng
3rd Feb 2018, 14:59
rjtrjt

That needs to be done for more than water supply. The world population is already outgrowing the resources. However, we have more than just telephone sanitisers and hairdressers to cut down quantities of!

radeng
3rd Feb 2018, 15:04

That applies to more than just water. Population growth is pretty well out of control now, leading eventually to a war, a major famine or an outbreak of some nasty disease which they can't produce a vaccine for before it has been a depopulating effect similar to the Black death of the Middle Ages.

Trossie
3rd Feb 2018, 20:31
Time for Cape Town to declare independence?

jolihokistix, that would have been a very good idea quite some time ago, but there is no chance now. As that article showed, the Western Cape's finances are going to be shot to ribbons with this water crisis and they won't have the resources to stand alone and fend off the inevitable military onslaught from the ANC's government forces if they tried that now.

All South African governments for well over half a century have disliked Cape Town for being different. For a long time now the ANC has been 'bussing' an 'alien' population in from the Eastern Cape to try to 'swamp' the local population (excuse the watery terminology there) in an attempt to create a more ANC-friendly 'balance' and destabilise the un-ANC local government. This water crisis has now fallen right into their hands. (I do not for one moment believe that the ANC in any way 'planned' this present situation; they are only 'competent' at cocking things up, not planning something so devious; however, cock-up have helped to create this situation.)

Several have put comments here showing that they clearly do not understand the South African situation:
The rapid population growth in Cape Town has been due to 'internal migration' from other parts of SA, primarily the Eastern Cape.
Dreams about systems that require large amounts of electricity are unrealistic; just look at the 1,000-odd miners that were trapped underground as a result of a power cut. Electricity is as badly managed as water there.

Mac the Knife
3rd Feb 2018, 22:25
"All South African governments for well over half a century have disliked Cape Town for being different. For a long time now the ANC has been 'bussing' an 'alien' population in from the Eastern Cape to try to 'swamp' the local population (excuse the watery terminology there) in an attempt to create a more ANC-friendly 'balance' and destabilise the un-ANC local government."

Ain't dat de troof!

And of course, swamping the Hospitals to the extent that an open fracture may lie on a trolley for 2-3 days before getting to theatre (where s/he will get 1st world skills, 2nd world instrumentation and 3rd world medicines)

Mac

[There should be a 'face-palm' icon]:cool:

feueraxt
4th Feb 2018, 07:05

That's an over-simplification but Yes. And only if you have them sitting around.

Perth's water situation is solvable by piping water from the Ord River. This was looked at a few years ago, but the naysayers killed it and the Barnett government failed to be re-elected. The expected costs were substantial - around the A$10 billion mark, but it would be a much more viable long term strategy than the current reliance on desalination plants.

Adelaide has a bigger problem. It's hard to see a better option than desalination, which is too expensive as a water source for the heavy industry that drives the South Australian economy.

Ogre
4th Feb 2018, 08:31
Perth's water situation is solvable by piping water from the Ord River. This was looked at a few years ago, but the naysayers killed it and the Barnett government failed to be re-elected. The expected costs were substantial - around the A$10 billion mark, but it would be a much more viable long term strategy than the current reliance on desalination plants.

Adelaide has a bigger problem. It's hard to see a better option than desalination, which is too expensive as a water source for the heavy industry that drives the South Australian economy.

I saw the map a week or so ago which showed the major rivers in Australia, you can see how why the major cities and almost all of the other settlements are bunched around the coast.

Adelaide built a desalination plant for the cost of 1.83 Billion Au$, and even with the output of 100 Gigalitres per year that's only 50% of Adelaide's water supply. A lot of water could be saved by not watering gardens and plants, but the risk then is that the first bushfire season will be catastrophic.

http://www.21stcentech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Australian-river-map.gif

Espada III
4th Feb 2018, 08:36
A few weeks ago the SA government downgraded its embassy in Israel in protest about the alleged treatment of Palestinians.

It then crawled back to Israel seeking advice from the world leaders in RO water treatment but on condition Israel keeps its help secret. Oh really!!?

RO is easy (but power hungry) and supplies about 80% of Israel's water, using a great deal of solar power to do so. Isn't SA in the South??? Lots of sunshine and therefore power??

G-CPTN
4th Feb 2018, 09:18
Isn't SA in the South??? Lots of sunshine and therefore power??

South is 'north' in the southern hemisphere.

Mac the Knife
4th Feb 2018, 09:22
"Lots of sunshine and therefore power??"

No good without the political will. And most of our money is siphoned
off by the President's cronies and a corrupt and inept government.

A very long tale of expensive projects started and never finished.

And don't get me started on the Arms deal - most of the very expensive
fighter aircraft the UK and Swedes so eagerly sold us just sit in their hangars
rotting away. Returning them to flyable status would cost so much that
we might as well chuck 'em away.

And we only have half-a-dozen FJ qualified pilots anyway.

Mac

[Why we didn't buy something like the Super Tucano escapes me,
far cheaper, far easier to run and much more suited to the ground
support role that our dysfunctional army might need in any conceivable
combat. And don't get me started on the submarines that virtuous
Germany so happily sold us, none of which are currently serviceable
(or crewed) and never will be] - A.W.A.…

jolihokistix
4th Feb 2018, 09:46
So what's the good news, then?

KelvinD
4th Feb 2018, 10:10
Mac: That comment re the German submarines is interesting. I worked in Simons Town many moons ago and was employed in the submarine support section. At the time, they had the (quite new at the time) French Daphne class and they too were a joke. In one year, I actually had one job (a couple of hours) on one sub. The remainder of that year was spent working on minesweepers, frigates etc. The status of the submarines (3 of them) was: 1 in "big refit", 1 in "dicky refit" and parked out of the water on the dockside and the third occasionally available to go to sea!
Back to the drought; there is nothing new under the sun. I remember more than one occasion when the NGK, at the behest of Vorster, were called out for national days prayer, praying for rain!

krismiler
4th Feb 2018, 15:06
Bulawayo in Zimbabwe has had a similar water problem for decades and, like Cape Town, being a opposition stronghold nothing gets done. Mass emigration and a decline in economic activity as Mugabe destroyed the country have alleviated the problem somewhat.

For expertise in water management, look to Singapore which has built desalination and recycling plants and enlarged the rainfall catchment area to reduce dependence on imported water from Malaysia.

RAT 5
4th Feb 2018, 15:19
Aruba as well

Andy_S
4th Feb 2018, 15:46
Aruba as well

I recall neighbouring Curacao has a beer brewed from desalinated water.

Fareastdriver
4th Feb 2018, 17:17
For expertise in water management, look to Singapore which has built desalination and recycling plants and enlarged the rainfall catchment area to reduce dependence on imported water from Malaysia.

They can still remember when the Japanese arrived at Johor Bahru.

krismiler
5th Feb 2018, 05:48
At independence in 1965, Malaysia had them by the nuts as they needed to pump virtually all their water in from Johor. Now they can do about half by themselves and could ramp up if needed. Singapore now sells its expertise in water management to countries in the Middle East.