PDA

View Full Version : Should have been a truckie?

bazza stub
1st Feb 2018, 03:22
It took fatalities for this to occur but at least they’re talking tough now, it’s a shame that CASA seem content to let airlines do whatever they want without any resistance.

Huge operation targets 'shonky' NSW trucks (http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/nsw-truckies-checked-in-massive-operation/news-story/c509743cbca138322c5e93984088d84a)

“Some people get into the trucking industry because they think they can make a quick buck, they push their drivers too hard, they run poor companies, they don't keep fatigue records and they're just in it for the money.”

Sounds all too familiar.

Rated De
1st Feb 2018, 04:20
A friend sent me a link last year about Tip Top bread. I remember the trucks in my neighbourhood as a child.

Tip Top accused of pushing bread delivery drivers to breaking point - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-06/tip-top-accused-of-pushing-bread-truck-drivers-to-breaking-point/9122426)

"Go back about 10 years, I was delivering about 10,000 to 11,000 units a week on $3,400. Now I'm close to 18, 19, 20,000 for an average pay of $2,900," he said.

The truck driver a contractor is like a pilot. All the accountability and all the responsibility. If there is an accident, it isn't Tip Top it is the driver, who wears the impact...

That also is familiar

1st Feb 2018, 23:23
Too often the big transport companies get the contracts, then engage sub contractors to actually transport the ??whatever. They screw the hell out of the sub contractor, they demand it, or you're gone. ( they do all this after you've signed "their" contract. Subby has committed to truck leases etc etc, he is well and truly caught )

Blitzkrieger
2nd Feb 2018, 01:48
What does that remind me of?

Lead Balloon
2nd Feb 2018, 01:58
You should be an IT expert. Then you’d be earning a healthy six figures and able to fly whenever and wherever you want.

krismiler
2nd Feb 2018, 07:37
Some jurisdictions will put a truck off the road for a set period time if caught speeding, that way no operator can afford to risk it and will refuse an unreasonable schedule from a contractor.

I remember a company who downgraded one sector of a freight run from turboprop to piston without adjusting the schedule.

Shot Nancy
2nd Feb 2018, 08:20
Truck master.

pilotchute
2nd Feb 2018, 10:36
F14 flying not paying the bills?

Berealgetreal
2nd Feb 2018, 18:58
Talked to one the other day. Said 12.5 was maximum legal duty. Normally he’d do 10.

Rated De
2nd Feb 2018, 21:07
You should be an IT expert. Then you’d be earning a healthy six figures and able to fly whenever and wherever you want.

That is the point. The time and expense taken to accumulate the requisite level qualifications for entry to a reputable airline are a considerable imposition.

Many younger people recognise although fun, aviation is a crap industry.

4EvahLearning
4th Feb 2018, 05:21

hahahahaha you are kidding right? What's happening in pilotland has already occurred in the world of IT. Most work has gone offshore and the 456 Visa program saw enough people from these countries arrive in ours willing to work for wages a lot lower than industry average resulting in a significant pay drop for IT workers - if you can even get a job that is.

You have my sympathies but I don't think you are going to be able to stem the downward track of your working conditions.

t_cas
5th Feb 2018, 03:50
hahahahaha you are kidding right? What's happening in pilotland has already occurred in the world of IT. Most work has gone offshore and the 456 Visa program saw enough people from these countries arrive in ours willing to work for wages a lot lower than industry average resulting in a significant pay drop for IT workers - if you can even get a job that is.

You have my sympathies but I don't think you are going to be able to stem the downward track of your working conditions.

It is quite a different outcome when a computer crashes..........

Computer crash v Airliner crash. Both can make the news, for very different reasons.

Lead Balloon
5th Feb 2018, 04:01

You have my sympathies but I don't think you are going to be able to stem the downward track of your working conditions.I don’t know anyone in the IT industry in Australia earning under 6 figures.

ViPER_81
5th Feb 2018, 04:43
I don’t know anyone in the IT industry in Australia earning under 6 figures.

I've worked in I.T for 18 years, so I have pretty good industry knowledge.

There are tons of people in I.T who earn under 100k a year. Sure, a top quality uni grad could be earning 100k a couple of years out. Helpdesk, lower level/mid level techs, etc are all earning under 100k.

Sydney/Melbourne wages are higher than Brisbane though, but I.T isn't just a gravy train. I've been made redundant twice, earnt **** wages for the first several years of my career.

Lead Balloon
5th Feb 2018, 04:51
If you have a heartbeat and can spell “I T”, go to Canberra and you’ll be on 6 figures.

krismiler
5th Feb 2018, 04:58
I've been made redundant twice, earnt **** wages for the first several years of my career.

Sounds just like aviation then.