PDA

View Full Version : Grid Girls gone for Formula 1 what next?

chopper2004
31st Jan 2018, 18:33
hmmm first it was for darts now this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/motorsport/5467725/formula-one-end-use-of-grid-girls-grand-prix-races/

Laughingly I have seen similar (albeit cynical ) comments on the above and the Fail stating that further than the line its conceivable - Cheerleading squads could go followed by barmaids ...highly unlikely but hey one does not have a crystal ball.

On a more serious note - some are showing concern that the girls may lose out on their modelling careers etc...and has anyone asked these girls if they liked or not liked being on the circuit? The other extreme views - is well the average lass and ladettes :mad::ok: dress less than that and self esteem goes out of the window. At the other end of the spectrum - say no more one extreme reader felt it could go towards wearing a certain type of religious / cultural way.....

Now in our lovely industry -especially at Heli Expo and Farnborough over the years - we have the odd group of models (Evalu8ter you know what I am on about!) marketing and just being around, adds to the atmosphere...

Any thoughts here?

cheers

Exrigger
31st Jan 2018, 18:49
Again, it is a minority group who have again jumped on the outrage bus on behalf of the people they have assumed outrage for, without a thought or care what those people believe, or want, and caused the management to run scared and take the apparent easy route of caving in.

This is a view that some of those women have an opinion of their own and there is a petition to reverse the decision, if these article is to be believed:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5454353/kelly-brook-dart-walk-on-girl-ban/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5450679/darts-walk-on-girls-slam-bosses/

Should of mentioned this was darts, it would appear the F1 women use was being discussed last year and now decided they will get rid of them, cannot find any comments/thoughts from those women though.

Ogre
31st Jan 2018, 19:48
I noted at least one model of the female gender (but I didn't ask so I'm assuming) who is now complaining that she will take a significant pay cut if she's not allowed to participate in darts matches. As discussed in other threads, there are those who welcome the attention and those who think that it will only lead to women being subjected to unwanted physical contact by neanderthals (I await the usual complaints...)

One scenario that I can see in the years to come, females will spend their time and effort dressing provocatively because "they can" but every male in the room is afraid to even look at them in case they get accused of sexual harassment. The fact that dressing provocatively harks back to the animal kingdom where the male (usually) who puts on the best display gets the best mate

Unless of course there is an un-civil war between the females who want to be noticed by men and those who think that all men are bastards, if that happens I'll keep well out of the way.

Lancelot37
31st Jan 2018, 20:22
After being interested in motor racing for over 60 years it looks as though my interest will lapse as we will only be able to watch on Pay TV. I don't, and won't have it, and I don't know anyone who has it. UNLESS I can find out how to watch it on the computer free.

Fareastdriver
31st Jan 2018, 20:24
What about all these football players who trot onto the pitch holding hands with a young girl or boy.

NutLoose
31st Jan 2018, 20:25
Hang on.....the Queen, Princess Royal, and the rest of them are all women stuck on public display....does this all mean they will have to start looking for other jobs?

Octane
31st Jan 2018, 21:03
What's next? Gridboys!

artschool
31st Jan 2018, 21:12
Unless of course there is an un-civil war between the females who want to be noticed by men and those who think that all men are bastards, if that happens I'll keep well out of the way.

I think this is a good point and a likely outcome. there are already hints of it happening already.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/harvey-weinstein-scandal/catherine-deneuve-says-metoo-driven-hatred-men-n836361

G-CPTN
31st Jan 2018, 21:24
As far as advertising for the grid-girl jobs, these are all filled by 'agencies'.
Applicants apply for 'modelling' jobs and have to provide photographs (and statistics) before they are accepted.
Most will be interviewed before being 'put on the books' and will receive invitations for promotional events (there are many trade fairs and similar events) and the candidates will be 'rated'as to their suitability for future events.

The young lady (though not so young now) who has been interviewed today by the Beeb is an experienced 'promotional' female who makes her living doing many events in addition to Formula One and the darts.

Like jobbing actresses and fashion models, these promotional jobs are filled by the people who run the agencies.

Events like the darts and F1 will have 'uniforms' provided in the fashion of the sponsors.

It is (or has been) big business - not just casual pretty girls.

Gridboys - apparently, Formula E (electric racing cars) has already replaced the grid girls with young wannabe racing drivers.

fltlt
31st Jan 2018, 22:30
As far as advertising for the grid-girl jobs, these are all filled by 'agencies'.
Applicants apply for 'modelling' jobs and have to provide photographs (and statistics) before they are accepted.
Most will be interviewed before being 'put on the books' and will receive invitations for promotional events (there are many trade fairs and similar events) and the candidates will be 'rated'as to their suitability for future events.

The young lady (though not so young now) who has been interviewed today by the Beeb is an experienced 'promotional' female who makes her living doing many events in addition to Formula One and the darts.

Like jobbing actresses and fashion models, these promotional jobs are filled by the people who run the agencies.

Events like the darts and F1 will have 'uniforms' provided in the fashion of the sponsors.

It is (or has been) big business - not just casual pretty girls.

Gridboys - apparently, Formula E (electric racing cars) has already replaced the grid girls with young wannabe racing drivers.

At the risk of being flamed, are they AC or DC?

Hat, coat, etc.

Tankertrashnav
1st Feb 2018, 00:02
Well I certainly wouldn't want to ban them, live and let live, but personally I've always thought the whole thing a bit daft and slightly tacky. Same goes for the girls that climb into the ring holding a placard with the round number in boxing matches.

Still, as I'm not remotely interested in F1, darts or boxing it doesn't really matter to me whether the girls stay or go.

Re the little kids who trot out with the players at football matches, I always assumed the kids picked had won some sort of competition, but now I've been told their parents actually pay for their children to do this. Is this true?

Tango and Cash
1st Feb 2018, 00:10
Now what am I going to watch for while I half-listen to the pre-race commentators prattle on?

gruntie
1st Feb 2018, 06:02
“What next?” Well, apparently they’re going to ban speeding......

wiggy
1st Feb 2018, 07:17
Ttn

Re the little kids who trot out with the players at football matches, I always assumed the kids picked had won some sort of competition, but now I've been told their parents actually pay for their children to do this. Is this true?

That certainly is the case at a lot of clubs. The following report is a few years old but my guess is the only thing that will have changed will be that the prices have gone up.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/18/premier-league-clubs-charge-600-children-mascots

jolihokistix
1st Feb 2018, 08:10
Well, if this is truly the way forwards, why am I getting an ad for 'Hot Russian Singles' and a provocative scantily clad young lady at the top of this very page?

pr00ne
1st Feb 2018, 08:24
fareastdriver.

There is a clue in your sentence...

Tech Guy
1st Feb 2018, 11:46
Well, if this is truly the way forwards, why am I getting an ad for 'Hot Russian Singles' and a provocative scantily clad young lady at the top of this very page?
I'm not. I feel deprived. :sad:

chevvron
1st Feb 2018, 12:39
When we first started going to Craven Cottage to watch Fulham, (back in the days when they could beat Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool) they had a group of girls who did 'cheerleading' and very popular they were too.

I think they stopped because invariably during the football season, the weather was too cold for their scantily clad performances.

yellowtriumph
1st Feb 2018, 12:42
Ttn

That certainly is the case at a lot of clubs. The following report is a few years old but my guess is the only thing that will have changed will be that the prices have gone up.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/18/premier-league-clubs-charge-600-children-mascots

Given the present performance of my local Premier League side, I do wonder that when they stop holding hands the children should stay on the pitch and the professionals go and sit on the sidelines.

chevvron
1st Feb 2018, 12:44

I accidentally found dozens of those several years ago. Went to look at the Screwfix website and accidentally missed out the 'r' making it Scewfix.
(Don't bother, it doesn't work any more)

treadigraph
1st Feb 2018, 13:58
A decade back, a friend of mine who's an ace at putting together model aeroplanes, built a float-plane DHC-2 kit for me.

A stickler for accuracy and wanting to research his subject thoroughly, he went onto Google Images and typed in Beaver...

Tinytim
1st Feb 2018, 14:35
Burkas........thats the answer.....put them all in Burkas.
Thatll keep every shrieking PC interest group happy!!!

NutLoose
1st Feb 2018, 14:50
I accidentally found dozens of those several years ago. Went to look at the Screwfix website and accidentally missed out the 'r' making it Scewfix.
(Don't bother, it doesn't work any more)

You used up all the bandwidth huh

Above The Clouds
1st Feb 2018, 14:59
Well lets see if they will now ban cheer leaders at the super bowl, I mean come on you cannot have one rule for one and not the other.

Zeus
1st Feb 2018, 17:07

Sounds better than the shelving units from Argos that I see.:ugh:

Argonautical
1st Feb 2018, 17:55
In a similar vein, the woman running the Manchester Art Gallery has said that she is uncomfortable with the Nymphs painting by J W Waterhouse and taken it down. Truly the lunatics are running the asylum.

terrain safe
1st Feb 2018, 18:25
A decade back, a friend of mine who's an ace at putting together model aeroplanes, built a float-plane DHC-2 kit for me.

A stickler for accuracy and wanting to research his subject thoroughly, he went onto Google Images and typed in Beaver...

I believe the correct name has been changed to a much more politically correct name. Vagina Squirrel.

goofer3
1st Feb 2018, 18:47
Re the painting of the Nymphs; "Hylas and the Nymphs is not one of Waterhouse's most well known works to date, however it is a prime example of his skill as an artist and there for has received very little negative comment since its completion in 1896. In fact the modern critic and dealer Christopher Wood describes this painting in his book, Olympian Dreamers, as Waterhouse's "greatest classical picture",."
So since 1896 it hasn't been seen as a problem, until now...:ugh:

Tankertrashnav
1st Feb 2018, 23:17
Thanks for the info on football "mascots" wiggy. Pretty disgusting really and further proof that the idea that football is the common man's game is really stone dead. It surely wouldn't kill some of these clubs who have a weekly wage bill running into 7 figures to offer these "packages" as prizes in some sort of weekly competition. Then the kids whose parents can't afford up to £600 might get a chance.

sitigeltfel
2nd Feb 2018, 06:49
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/442daf40a3b612eccfc801a2c9ce37dcfeeddbee423168c3b188635c41be 8c58.jpg?w=800&h=600

NutLoose
2nd Feb 2018, 08:53
Call me old fashioned by the sensible thing to have done would have been to recruit males as well, probably why these gameshows have male and female "hosts" standing next to the prizes etc..

I for one definately think women drivers should be allowed to compete in F1, indeed all the classes, it's rather chauvinistic to say the best drivers are men.

PDR1
2nd Feb 2018, 10:37
I for one definately think women drivers should be allowed to compete in F1, indeed all the classes, it's rather chauvinistic to say the best drivers are men.

Women drivers ARE allowed to compete in ALL motorsport (including F1), and the first team that finds a competitive woman driver will find it extremely lucrative because they will get more coverage due to the novelty value, and that will itself mean that they can demand higher fees from sponsors.

The same happened when Lewis Hamilton first appeared for McLaren in 2007. Those of us who follow the sport knew that he was a potentially very impressive driver, but the reason he got all the coverage was because he was the first "driver of colour". People may not like that, but it was true - the factthat he then proceeded to pee all over his double world champion team mate and nearly win the championship in his rookie year then justified the attention, fortunately.

The issue of female drivers really does come down to capabilities. I once saw an analysis which suggested that only 10% of the human population has the mental capabilities for serious motorsport, and this drops to under 1% for single-seater racing at GP3/GP2/F1 level. That's not a problem - in fact the analysis suggested that there were probably more women than men in that <1%.

But the analysis them moved to physical capabilities, and it suggested that only the upper 0.1th percentile of the population could train into the physical capabilities required to be effective in F1 (an extreme level of physical exertion* for up to 2 hours whilst maintaining high enough blood oxygen levels to support the intellectual requirements), and this group is heavily biased towards the men simply because any given nth percentile male is significantly stronger than the same nth percentile woman (the reason why men and women compete seperately most physical sports). But there are women who can meet the physical requirements.

But the actual issue is that you need to find someone from the upper 1th percentile with the mental abilities who is also in the 0.1th percentile with the physical ptential, and that stratification produces a very small population anyway, and it's a population with a tinuy proportion of women.

There are currently only 18 seats available in F1 (and never more than 26 under the current rules), so a potenial female driver needs to be in the top 17 (at least) of that population whilst also having had the right breaks to be in the right place at the right time with the right sponsors when a seat comes free. It will happen one day, but unless we back off the physical requirements the probability will be very low.

PDR

* F1 drivers really have to be seriously fit - they can compete in "iron man" endurance events for fun, without any extra training

vaqueroaero
2nd Feb 2018, 11:03
I reckon the Victoria Secret lingerie show is pretty sexist. Should ban that too.

NutLoose
2nd Feb 2018, 11:06
Thanks PDR for that.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Feb 2018, 11:42
I seem to recall an Italian lady called Lella Lombardi in F1 back in the 70s, and maybe there have been others

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2018, 13:40
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_Formula_One_drivers#Official_drivers

NutLoose
2nd Feb 2018, 14:04
Blimey

https://www.formula1blog.com/f1-biography/f1-biography-how-star-wars-once-saved-a-grand-prix-driver/

Ogre
2nd Feb 2018, 21:12
PDR

Was there not also an issue around their ability to survive crashes, partially around the shock loading but (from what I may have been told at the time) the design of their chest area must be able to withstand the crush of the restraint systems.

Admittedly it was a while ago, but I seem to recall a discussion about having to re-design the harnesses so that there was a central strap that went down the centre, rather than two vertical straps that covered the breasts. This of course would have a greater impact on the sternum rather than the rib cage and the suggested mitigation was either a flat chested driver or a double mastectomy.

ElectroVlasic
3rd Feb 2018, 15:28

Back in the 90s before there was Amazon there was a tech book store called Cucumber Books that was quite good.

So my first Internet search was 'cucumber'.

The set of results I got back was quite unexpected.

PDR1
3rd Feb 2018, 16:22
PDR

Was there not also an issue around their ability to survive crashes, partially around the shock loading but (from what I may have been told at the time) the design of their chest area must be able to withstand the crush of the restraint systems.

Admittedly it was a while ago, but I seem to recall a discussion about having to re-design the harnesses so that there was a central strap that went down the centre, rather than two vertical straps that covered the breasts. This of course would have a greater impact on the sternum rather than the rib cage and the suggested mitigation was either a flat chested driver or a double mastectomy.

There was a time when that was an issue, but it's just an engineering problem and it was solved for other racing classes, and fast jets, both of which have plenty of female participants these days. Not to mention for Maria de Villota and Suzi Wolfe when they were test-driving, of course!

:)

PDR

VP959
3rd Feb 2018, 16:28
There was a time when that was an issue, but it's just an engineering problem and it was solved for other racing classes, and fast jets, both of which have plenty of female participants these days. Not to mention for Maria de Villota and Suzi Wolfe when they were test-driving, of course!

:)

PDR

When you think about it, it's not as big an engineering challenge as designing crotch straps for blokes, is it? :E

PDR1
3rd Feb 2018, 16:30
When you think about it, it's not as big an engineering challenge as designing crotch straps for blokes, is it? :E

Depends on the blokes, of course. It's a much bigger challenge for some of us...

:E

PDR