PDA

View Full Version : 1 Donald Trump nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize?

Kulverstukas
31st Jan 2018, 18:48
For the third time since 2016. It wasn't clear exactly who nominated Trump, but the Peace Research Institute Oslo said whoever it was cited the real estate magnate's "peace through strength" philosophy as merit for consideration.

The only people who can make nominations are previous winners of the prize, members of the Nobel committee, international courts or governments, and select university professors -- meaning someone who is held in high esteem believes Trump is worthy of consideration.

A description next to Trump's name on the nominees list describes him as a " nominated for 'his vigorous peace through strength ideology, used as a threat weapon of deterrence against Putin's Russia, nuclear Iran and Communist China' (confirmed by US nominator)."

MG23
31st Jan 2018, 18:55
I'd say he's at least as worthy of the nomination as Obama was.

DaveReidUK
31st Jan 2018, 18:59
Hopefully they will award it to him before he nukes North Korea.

Kulverstukas
31st Jan 2018, 19:15
Hopefully they will award it to him before he nukes North Korea.

You mean, in advance?

vapilot2004
31st Jan 2018, 19:17
I'd say he's at least as worthy of the nomination as Obama was.

Oh this is really good, MG23. I wish we still had the rolling on the floor, paralyzed in laughter emoji. :}

sitigeltfel
31st Jan 2018, 19:24
"No Nobel Peace Prize ever elicited more attention than the 2009 prize to Barack Obama," Mr Lundestad writes.

"Even many of Obama's supporters believed that the prize was a mistake," he says. "In that sense the committee didn't achieve what it had hoped for".http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34277960 (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34277960)

jolihokistix
1st Feb 2018, 01:58
Quote: "In that sense the committee didn't achieve what it had hoped for".

Ah, so it WAS awarded in hope... Anyone counting their chickens before they are hatched?

Maybe a clear category of Hopeful Nobels could be set up.

Highway1
1st Feb 2018, 02:06
Been in office for a year and hasn't started a war - if anyone deserves it its him..:ok:

ShotOne
1st Feb 2018, 08:22
We’ll see. Lest we forget, but for Ronald Reagan, dismissed by so many as a war-monger we’d still be living under superpower nuclear hair-trigger stand-off.

B Fraser
1st Feb 2018, 09:13
I'm not so sure Mr ShotOne.

At that time, Ivan could barely find the fuel and a serviceable aircraft. The end of the cold war has resulted in Ivan having lots of money and some seriously capable kit. We could debate all day about the relative plausibility of a Russian threat then and now but much of the cold war was pure posturing and bluff.

Highway1
1st Feb 2018, 13:29
We could debate all day about the relative plausibility of a Russian threat then and now but much of the cold war was pure posturing and bluff.

I wish someone would have said that before then I wouldn't have had to spend so many nights camping in a forest outside Belsen. :{

ATNotts
1st Feb 2018, 13:31
Nominations like this, and some of the rather suspect winners of the Peace Prize over the last few years really are bringing the whole Nobel Prize thing into disrepute.

ShotOne
1st Feb 2018, 16:10
Mr Fraser, whatever the availability of Soviet fuel, spares etc, they had lots of missiles pointed our way. You can’t seriously be comparing today’s bickering with the danger that existed in the Cold War?

galaxy flyer
1st Feb 2018, 16:57
Oh this is really good, MG23. I wish we still had the rolling on the floor, paralyzed in laughter emoji. :}

He’s, so far, just as worthy as Obama—neither of them did anything praiseworthy at the one year point in furtherance of peace.

GF

Lonewolf_50
1st Feb 2018, 17:15
GF, I guess that means Trump is a mortal lock? :)

Checkboard
1st Feb 2018, 20:30
Many people are eligible to nominate someone for a Nobel Peace Prize, amongst then are University professors, professors emeriti and associate professors of history, social sciences, law, philosophy, theology, and religion; university rectors and university directors (or their equivalents); directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes.

So - find any freindly Uni Professor, and you too could put on your resume "Nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.". ;)

https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/index.html

In fact, as the nomination lists are kept secret for 50 years, you can probably do so anyway. ;)

Blacksheep
2nd Feb 2018, 16:28
Many people are eligible to nominate someone for a Nobel Peace Prize, amongst then are University professors, professors emeriti and associate professors of history, social sciences, law, philosophy, theology, and religion; university rectors and university directors (or their equivalents); directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes.Supposedly so smart, yet they still managed to nominate Aung San Suu Kyi...

Hempy
2nd Feb 2018, 20:05
Well if Hitler and Stalin (and Dubya and Blair) didn’t prove that anyone can get nominated, this rumour puts it beyond doubt. Although I was under the impression that Nobel nominations were kept confidential for 50 years?

One Outsider
2nd Feb 2018, 20:28
As Liar in Chief he should be a shoo-in.