PDA

View Full Version : Reserving sun beds

BehindBlueEyes
29th Jan 2018, 18:02
:cool: :cool: :cool:

In the grand scheme of things, do pprune members think that this should be allowed and would they pay for the privilege?

A travel agent on the BBC news this evening said that people would like to come back to their hotel, having spent the morning in the local market, and have their sunbed available to them.

I kind of feel, if youíre away from the resort, it seems a bit ďdog in the managerĒ to place your towel on an relaxer when someone else might want the use of it.

I have to confess to removing a few German towels over the years whilst theyíve been out on local excursions - for several hours I might add! :}

Ancient Mariner
29th Jan 2018, 18:08
Ain't no Europeans nor Americans where we vacate.
Problem solved.
Per

Chronus
29th Jan 2018, 18:26
What a shame, end of yet another thing which was a good way to kill the beach-pool- boredom.

It won`t be long before they will be selling tickets for pool- sea-space by the square foot.

ExXB
29th Jan 2018, 18:26
I’m sceptical such a thing could be enforced.

Fit an egg-timer, good for 90 Minutes, to every lounger. If it runs out, it’s anyone’s.

Unlikely this could be enforced either.

Chronus
29th Jan 2018, 19:18
I’m sceptical such a thing could be enforced.

Fit an egg-timer, good for 90 Minutes, to every lounger. If it runs out, it’s anyone’s.

Unlikely this could be enforced either.

No, I don`t think it would work, unless it activates a cattle prod attached to the underside of the sun bed aligned with the buttocks and a three minute countdown warning siren with flashing lights. Another option may be to send our traffic wardens over for a free working holiday.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Jan 2018, 19:21
It's all about mentality, the classic 'German' sun lounger hogger thinks logically that as 'their' property is in residence, this allows them sovereignty over said lounger despite their physical absence. This sovereignty is often abused with bad behaviour which then ignites the other logic that states 'It's only yours when your tush is in residence. Perhaps an extra fee for prime lounger positions mightn't be a bad idea. At least it's all settled before disputes can start.

What about people sitting down and blocking a table before they've ordered and purchased food in a self service establishment ?

dook
29th Jan 2018, 19:22
Another option may be to send our traffic wardens over for a free holiday.

But that would only work if someone painted yellow lines around all the sunbeds.

Chronus
29th Jan 2018, 19:40
But that would only work if someone painted yellow lines around all the sunbeds.

No need for that, just issue sun bathers with number plates to wear , that`ll do the trick, our traffic wardens will go ape at the sight of a white one hanging over the cleavage and a yellow one over the rear end.

Pontius Navigator
29th Jan 2018, 19:50
On P&O Ventura two women were arguing over a sunbed. One husband joined in and said he would settle it. He picked up sunbed and threw it overboard. The Captain then threw them off. At least he did it at the next port.

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Jan 2018, 20:10
In the grand scheme of things, do pprune members think that this should be allowed and would they pay for the privilege?
I can't get my head around anyone who would want to go somewhere abroad and then waste their time sitting around doing nothing. You can do that at home FFS!

But then I can't get my head around people who regard "shopping" as a leisure activity, either.

Still, I suppose it would be boring if we were all the same.

lomapaseo
29th Jan 2018, 20:53
I solved my problem this week and booked what the MSC cruise line calls the Yacht Club. Over 80% of the our fancy free lounge chairs are empty all day even in good weather. That's the advantage of having 1/3 of the ship reserved for .05% of the passengers.

now back to the free booze :)

parabellum
30th Jan 2018, 00:56
Back in the mid eighties I stayed at a nice resort in Phuket, (Phuket Cabana) 5 years in a row and paid the local lad that looked after the area under the trees as well as the pool area to keep a couple of loungers to one side, whenever we appeared so did the loungers!
Gertrude - Sitting on a lounger, under a tree, with a good book, in tropical climes with a light breeze from one side and a regular supply of cold beer from the other has a lot to be said for it!

Krystal n chips
30th Jan 2018, 05:59
Back in the mid eighties I stayed at a nice resort in Phuket, (Phuket Cabana) 5 years in a row and paid the local lad that looked after the area under the trees as well as the pool area to keep a couple of loungers to one side, whenever we appeared so did the loungers!
Gertrude - Sitting on a lounger, under a tree, with a good book, in tropical climes with a light breeze from one side and a regular supply of cold beer from the other has a lot to be said for it!

Well the concept does have some merit...for about 1hr ( probably less ) before catatonic boredom sets in.

The whole point of this marketing ploy is to get people to part with more money, now there's a surprise, and to appeal to their vanity. So it will be interesting to see if other operators follow and what the returns are like before the offer is quietly dropped.

Have to love the inevitable reference to cruises however. Last year, I had planned to take one, before a welcome and unexpected arrival in my life in 2016 developed matters so to speak. We have now come to a negotiated agreement, albeit on the terms of the lady concerned ( it's called female democracy ;)...chaps ) so it's back to the planning

However, as my idea of a cruise doesn't involve being fawned over on a glorified shopping mall and floating gin palace, but does involve a cargo boat for a few days, or, better still, on a working barge on the Rhine / Maas or similar waterway, then I won't be concerned about a sun lounger.

Plus I will be meeting real people and won't be surrounded by Mail / Torygraph readers wearing Panama hats and pontificating to the world as to their affluence and social status.....

ExXB
30th Jan 2018, 06:00
No, I don`t think it would work, unless it activates a cattle prod attached to the underside of the sun bed aligned with the buttocks and a three minute countdown warning siren with flashing lights. Another option may be to send our traffic wardens over for a free working holiday.

My suggestion gives them 90 Minutes away from the lounger. They donít have to be there 24/7, but canít have long absences.

DaveReidUK
30th Jan 2018, 06:49
LuIJqF8av6I

BehindBlueEyes
30th Jan 2018, 07:07
Great to see this one again DaveReidUK.

Very slight reference to racial stereotyping and possibly offensive by reference to use of bouncing bomb but otherwise, very, very funny. I’d forgotten how good the ad was.

sitigeltfel
30th Jan 2018, 07:20
I don't have a problem with sun loungers. There is always a spare one at the edge of our pool.

:p

Tech Guy
30th Jan 2018, 07:23
Many years ago in Teneriffe, we managed to beat the Germans to the sunbeds by staying up all night drinking. It was quite amusing to see the procession of Germans arrive at 07.30 only to find all the beds corralled at one end of the pool and filled with semi comatose Brits. :)

Pontius Navigator
30th Jan 2018, 07:29
A little known fact, but Trinity House offer cruises. Where you go is unpredictable and entirely subordinate to operational tasks. You might be in the Irish Sea or spent the entire time in the Thames Estuary.

I wonder if the Russians would offer cruises on an AGI or better an AGS?

ExSp33db1rd
30th Jan 2018, 08:10
BEA ( remember them ?) aircraft starting up in Teneriffe, advised of a 30 minute start up delay. Immediately followed by Lufthansa who was given immediate start up clearance. BEA pilot objected, we were first, why doesn't Lufthansa have the same start up delay ?

A German voice then chimed in - "Becoss ve got up at 06.00 and put our towel on the runway. !!

highflyer40
30th Jan 2018, 08:46
I can't get my head around anyone who would want to go somewhere abroad and then waste their time sitting around doing nothing. You can do that at home FFS!

But then I can't get my head around people who regard "shopping" as a leisure activity, either.

Still, I suppose it would be boring if we were all the same.

Ah but kind of hard to sit outside reading a good book in the sunshine when itís 18 degrees, damp and grey skies. Actually itís a bit depressing which is why most go abroad to do what you feel they should stay home for.

These days most peoples lives are so frantic the idea of a holiday with nothing to do, but relax is bliss!

Fareastdriver
30th Jan 2018, 09:08
However, as my idea of a cruise doesn't involve being fawned over on a glorified shopping mall and floating gin palace

Plus I will be meeting real people and won't be surrounded by Mail / Torygraph readers wearing Panama hats

K&c is showing his ignorance or the cruise industry. I've just returned from a Southampton-Caribbean-Southampton cruise. 90% were good solid northern Labour/UKIP voters of which 30% were disabled. They came on buses from places like Hartlepool and Sheffield.

Not a Panama in sight.

Pontius Navigator
30th Jan 2018, 18:34
FED, but my Panama got me upgraded on Emigrates :)

Fareastdriver
30th Jan 2018, 18:49
I flash my BALPA card.

Katamarino
31st Jan 2018, 05:00
That's the advantage of having 1/3 of the ship reserved for .05% of the passengers.

So you're saying that on a typical large cruise ship 1/3 of the ship is reserved for a total of 2 people?

Krystal n chips
31st Jan 2018, 05:48
K&c is showing his ignorance or the cruise industry. I've just returned from a Southampton-Caribbean-Southampton cruise. 90% were good solid northern Labour/UKIP voters of which 30% were disabled. They came on buses from places like Hartlepool and Sheffield.

Not a Panama in sight.

Well that's a novel way to spend a holiday....carrying out a socio demographic survey of the rest of the pax.

Was this a random, cluster or stratified sample to arrive at such precise data ? . And what about the remaining 10% then ?.

Now, how to get to Southampton....erm, it's possible to do it by bus I suppose, that bus pass comes in very useful I can assure you, but, maybe they came on something called.....a coach perhaps ?

Alas, no matter the demographic, you are still on a floating gin palace / shopping mall having your ego massaged.......which is a vision of hell for me.

As for the marketing gimmick, and the wonderful irony of the operator being Anglo German I believe, as I say, lets see how many other operators follow suit and what extra revenue is generated in a years time. And what happens when the sun moves, as it does, do you then have to relocate for another £22 ?

By the way, now that you say you are retired, why are you carrying a presumably no longer valid or required professionally BALPA card ? ....apart from flashing it around when trying to get a freebie upgrade that is

White Knight
31st Jan 2018, 06:28
Very slight reference to racial stereotyping and possibly offensive by reference to use of bouncing bomb

1. Same race... Just different nationality.
2. Offensive to whom? Just a few delicate petals I wager:rolleyes:

Anyway. Good ad:ok:

Avtrician
31st Jan 2018, 07:25
I was in Phuket (quite some years ago) and some Germans put there towels on the deck chairs (Holiday Inn Patong Beach) early in the morning. When the Pool Boys came to work, they collected all the towels and out them in the wash hamper. When I asked he said "Germans no save chairs, which one you want... He had a big grin, thought it was a great joke.

Jack D
31st Jan 2018, 08:17
[QUOTE=Krystal n chips;10035932]

However, as my idea of a cruise does involve a cargo boat for a few days, or, better still, on a working barge on the Rhine / Maas or similar waterway, then I won't be concerned about a sun lounger

And they say romance is dead !

Pontius Navigator
31st Jan 2018, 09:39
Avtrician, similarly the Maltese pool boys in the hotel in Malta said not a word when the Germans bagged the best beds. Minutes later the pop up lawn sprinklers popped up.

Fareastdriver
31st Jan 2018, 11:43
By the way, now that you say you are retired, why are you carrying a presumably no longer valid or required professionally BALPA card ? ....apart from flashing it around when trying to get a freebie upgrade that is

K&c

I'm entitled to a BALPA card as a retired member.

When Arthur Scargill moves out of his NUM financed flat then I will stop using my BALPA card.

lomapaseo
31st Jan 2018, 12:09
So you're saying that on a typical large cruise ship 1/3 of the ship is reserved for a total of 2 people?

oops one decimal off for a very large ship (comments in s*trip adviser)

it was the free booze that did me in :}

Mariner9
31st Jan 2018, 14:07
Alas, no matter the demographic, you are still on a floating gin palace / shopping mall having your ego massaged.......which is a vision of hell for me.

Blimey, I agree with Knc about something :eek:

ExSp33db1rd
31st Jan 2018, 22:09
I'm entitled to a BALPA card as a retired member.

Absolutely.

I also flash my "Retired" B.A. card for Hotel reservations, or anything else if appropriate and sometimes it is.

The Barstewards stole our Staff Travel off us, are we to lose that as well ?

BehindBlueEyes
1st Feb 2018, 07:14
I’ve been wondering if the sun bed situation might be exacerbated by Brexit?

As Brits, will we have to negotiate with any European available over the terms of using the lounger?
Will it be necessary to have a clearly defined border around it?
If a non British National wishes to use it, will we have to marry them first to ensure entitlement?
If it is ours for the day and we wish to lend it to another nationality, will there be a restriction on which nationality it is?
If we decide that we don’t actually need it and wish to pack up our beach gear and go back to the hotel, will we have to pay a €5 million surrender fee?

jindabyne
1st Feb 2018, 08:36
my idea of a cruise doesn't involve being fawned over on a glorified shopping mall and floating gin palace, but does involve a cargo boat for a few days, or, better still, on a working barge on the Rhine / Maas or similar waterway

Note to self -avoid cargo boats and Rhine/Mass working barges:rolleyes:

parabellum
1st Feb 2018, 10:37
Well the concept does have some merit...for about 1hr ( probably less ) before catatonic boredom sets in.

I did say you need a good book.
Have done west to east and vice versa on very large container ships with only two or three pax, unlimited access to the bridge. Best times are docking and undocking or going through the Suez canal, at other times you will get bored K&C.

Ascend Charlie
1st Feb 2018, 10:40
Does a towel on a sunlounge mean that somebody has reserved it??

I thought it was just helpful pool staff, and sat wherever I wanted. Nobody ever came along to ask me to move, probably because I wasn't there very long, and was up at the bar ordering another G&T.

Krystal n chips
1st Feb 2018, 11:05
I did say you need a good book.
Have done west to east and vice versa on very large container ships with only two or three pax, unlimited access to the bridge. Best times are docking and undocking or going through the Suez canal, at other times you will get bored K&C.

Well I was thinking about how boring this would be on a land based holiday to be honest.

I take your point about going on a long cruise however, but, that's not my intention.

More a few nights sailing around European ports and / or, as you can see, internal waterways. I'm far more interested in seeing the daily workings of a ship, how it's operated and the engine room / technical aspects than I am sitting on a sun lounger as you may have gathered.

For those who are so dismissive about cargo boat cruising and working barges, have a look at these options.....

https://cargoshipvoyages.com/

RAT 5
1st Feb 2018, 12:08
If the towel ain't got a name on it then it ain't personal: it is a generic hotel towel. It could even be yours. As you lie back on the sun bed bedecked with a hotel pool towel you can answer the apoplectic claim by whoever, with a "Prove it. There was nothing here and this is my towel. Let me see yours. By jove, it looks exactly like mine."

Fareastdriver
1st Feb 2018, 14:46
how it's operated and the engine room

Fantastic! Two weeks watching a diesel turning at 400 RPM.

Krystal n chips
1st Feb 2018, 15:03
Fantastic! Two weeks watching a diesel turning at 400 RPM.

Who said anything about 2 weeks. I said a few days which is more than enough time, given the opportunity, to follow the operating procedures and talk with the engineers which, strangely, is the intent of the trip.

Sun lounger free of course !

Will you be carrying out a more expansive survey on your next cruise, to include a time and motion study on the crew then ?

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Feb 2018, 17:12
I'm far more interested in seeing the daily workings of a ship, how it's operated and the engine room / technical aspects
We were invited into the bridge of a ferry in Perth, but didn't venture past the door on the grounds that our toddler would find a button and press it. "No, he'll be fine", said the captain. We still refused, on the grounds that we knew our toddler better than the captain.

(And then on leaving the bridge the silly child fell down the stairs, resulting in a hospital visit.)

Fareastdriver
1st Feb 2018, 18:41
to include a time and motion study on the crew then

Yes.

The waiter in the Piano Bar would take three minutes from ordering a large brandy soda to setting it on the table.

I would just wave at the waitress in the Pool Bar and she would bring it within two minutes.

The barmen in the Sunset Bar would pour it when he saw me walk in.

The barmaid in the Crow's Nest would have it prepared already.

Pontius Navigator
1st Feb 2018, 19:14
FED, like Lindholme. We would go for annual refresher, into the Mess, poke head round bar door, go and warn in. On returning to the bar, one's pie, brown sauce and pint were waiting. Ray Plummer the barman never failed.

fitliker
1st Feb 2018, 19:54
The entertainment from throwing towels into the pool is mild compared to the mayhem that can be created with the skid marks you can leave on a towel with a Mars bar . For the purist ,that pure art when organic natural dingleberries form a nice pattern on the sunbed . Some folks do not appreciate art made from waste :)