PDA

View Full Version : Emirates recruiting for DEC B777 again.

gardenshed
29th Jan 2018, 16:35
Gents and Gentesses,

It would appear that B777 DEC's are back on again.
Email states to check out the careers page for further details.

777-200LR
29th Jan 2018, 16:43
I don’t think they’ve stopped recruitment of DECs, at least for the last 2 years

BANANASBANANAS
29th Jan 2018, 17:03
I doubt they will get many takers under the present terms and conditions - especially with further increases to VAT and the introduction of a remittance tax and even income tax definitely on the agenda now.

And if EK tries offering 'enhanced salary' for suitably experienced DEC's whilst giving nothing to those of us that are already here, then they will be losing at least one experienced Captain the same day.

nakbin330
29th Jan 2018, 17:16
EK have ALWAYS been in the market for DECs.

fatbus
29th Jan 2018, 17:27
And in some cases paid them higher !

Wingman82
29th Jan 2018, 17:34
They will get Dec's any time. So many in the queue... Ek has up to now always filled the gap with DECs without any difficulties. Dont you write again they cant find qualified people please - there are so many!

BANANASBANANAS
29th Jan 2018, 17:37
Finding them is one thing. Persuading them to join is entirely another. There are many, far more attractive, options out there now.

High Energy
29th Jan 2018, 19:36
IF they ever drop the 1000hrs widebody PIC time the queue will be around the corner. IF...

Callsign Kilo
29th Jan 2018, 22:13
You don’t need 1000hrs widebody PIC to become a 777 DEC at EK

LHR Rain
29th Jan 2018, 22:36
The only thing you need to join EK as a DEC is a pulse.
First the 1500 Turbo Prop wonders now the DECs. What a slap in the face of the long suffering and hard working Emirates pilots.
The Big Question is what kind of DECs will join. I’m sure we will get the bottom of the barrel again.

Xiamen
30th Jan 2018, 02:47
At least 1000 hours of wide body aircraft (B747/B787/B777/A380) and long haul experience in the last 3 years

Nothing new. This position has been on the carreers page since forever, with the same requirements.

GillEx737
30th Jan 2018, 03:16
As much as I agree this isn't an ideal policy for us guys here already...what you're saying is actually untrue. There's enough negative stuff that's happening in real life without people making inflammatory stuff up.

ironbutt57
30th Jan 2018, 04:08
First the 1500 Turbo Prop wonders

what were you when you first started? a 200 hour wonder?? straight from your own training dept, the "turboprop wonders" had better handling skills than some of the "jet heroes"

fatbus
30th Jan 2018, 05:53
Typical EK wonder pilots thinking they are the greatest of all, ready to fail their upgrade.

what_goes_up
30th Jan 2018, 06:15
Most of the Turbo Prop guys I've seen were better than many of our Narrow Body Jet joiners. And they come with the right attitude as well. They don't think they own the world just because daddy sponsored a jet rating...

Emma Royds
30th Jan 2018, 07:47
They will get Dec's any time. So many in the queue... Ek has up to now always filled the gap with DECs without any difficulties.

The 'gap' is nowhere near being filled as the deficit is only growing with time. With the recruitment outlook being a bleak as it ever has, one DEC is one less F/O they need to find. A look at the seniority list will show that DEC recruitment never really stopped.

donpizmeov
30th Jan 2018, 08:02
When a bit over 50% of those that need to be hired, are just to replace those that are leaving, you have to wonder about the Muppets steering this ship.
To think that the cost of the paper used to ensure your documents were checked was so great they removed it, however the cost of a Capt leaving (requiring a upgrade course, and recruitment of a new FO) means nothing shows the big picture may have been lost.
Those that don't like Turbo prop pilots are mostly barby jet pilots that don't know what they don't know. Forgive them.

JAARule
30th Jan 2018, 08:56
I’m sure we will get the bottom of the barrel again. Funny how the bottom of the barrel is always the ones about to join, not the ones who joined just last month or last year or the year before that.

If they've been hiring the bottom of the barrel for years then the new lot will be in good company and by definition will be a higher standard of new joiner.

gardenshed
30th Jan 2018, 09:02
Seaman Staynes,
You hit the nail on the head, and I agree with all you have written.

sealear
30th Jan 2018, 09:23
What about all the DECs from down the road? What's the story with them?

fatbus
30th Jan 2018, 10:13
They don't want to come!

fatbus
30th Jan 2018, 10:15
We have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for awhile now! Recurrent failures on the rise! NAC failures on the rise! But don't worry all is ok " no problem my friend"

sluggums
30th Jan 2018, 12:02
So I’ve been told, apparently you can reapply again after 1, yes 1 month, if you’ve only failed the sim...��

BANANASBANANAS
30th Jan 2018, 13:07
At least 1000 hours of wide body aircraft (B747/B787/B777/A380) and long haul experience in the last 3 years

Nothing new. This position has been on the carreers page since forever, with the same requirements.

None of the pilots who I know that joined from 737 at Ryan Air had even a single hour of wide body time when they joined as DEC's.

Craggenmore
30th Jan 2018, 14:32
Cause that's testament to Boeing's philosophy. :ok:

BANANASBANANAS
30th Jan 2018, 14:39
Agreed,

My comment was directed at Emirates reduction in DEC entry experience requirements, not the ex Ryan Air guys - who I believe are mostly thriving at EK.

White none please
30th Jan 2018, 17:43
Many of the ones you dont know did.........

BANANASBANANAS
30th Jan 2018, 18:04
I have no doubt you are correct. But there were four on my DEC course with not a single wide body hour between them.

One has resigned, one still flying the line, the other two are in training.

Divertnow
30th Jan 2018, 20:26
They will get Dec's any time. So many in the queue... Ek has up to now always filled the gap with DECs without any difficulties. Dont you write again they cant find qualified people please - there are so many!
I know this is a rumour site and all but that’s simply not the case!

Divertnow
30th Jan 2018, 20:28
Sarcasm maybe?

trdriver
31st Jan 2018, 03:25
I have no doubt you are correct. But there were four on my DEC course with not a single wide body hour between them.

One has resigned, one still flying the line, the other two are in training.

I personally know a few guys with many hours of wide body who tried to join EK DEC. They get invited for the video interview but can't get through the video interview stage!!! So what is going on???

SilverSeated
31st Jan 2018, 15:38
I personally know a few guys with many hours of wide body who tried to join EK DEC. They get invited for the video interview but can't get through the video interview stage!!! So what is going on???

Possibly your friends are not what EK are looking for or don't have the perceived aptitude, either way its still heartening to know that recruitment aren't grasping at straws just yet and still have some standards!

Ramones
31st Jan 2018, 17:41
Possibly your friends are not what EK are looking for or don't have the perceived aptitude, either way its still heartening to know that recruitment aren't grasping at straws just yet and still have some standards!
Some standards? Who you think you are guys ? Astronauts?
Think about last performance in JFK and Moscow

BANANASBANANAS
31st Jan 2018, 17:47

From the outside looking in, one would have to say 'Fair comment.'

I wasn't involved in any of the incidents so can't/won't comment on specifics but, as a general statement, I think there will be a lot of systemic, policy and cultural factors and issues found to have been embedded in the swiss cheese long before the crew lined up the final hole.

expat400
31st Jan 2018, 19:43
"I’m sure we will get the bottom of the barrel again."

Well B2. Considering that everyone who joined after 2005 is from the "bottom of the barrel" according to LHR Rain I think EK is doing a pretty good job. Probably because his extreme skills are spreading throughout the EK pilot community.
Thank god he has not been able to get another job despite sending out his CV in 2005. He will forever make sure EK has the highest standards despite bottom scrapers like you joining as DEC.

Easy Peasy
31st Jan 2018, 20:29
I may be pointing out the obvious, but aren’t the guys still working for EK the unemployables? Anyone who could has moved on.

Calling new hires the bottom of the barrel? Pot-Kettle Black me thinks...

donpizmeov
31st Jan 2018, 20:32
Thats a bit harsh. I believe I was the bottom of the barrel and I joined before 2005.

fliion
1st Feb 2018, 02:08

How empirical of you..

ironbutt57
1st Feb 2018, 03:48
Thats a bit harsh. I believe I was the bottom of the barrel and I joined before 2005.

everybody was bottom of the barrel at some point, just many here seem to have forgotten this minor detail

SilverSeated
1st Feb 2018, 04:00
I may be pointing out the obvious, but aren’t the guys still working for EK the unemployables? Anyone who could has moved on.

Calling new hires the bottom of the barrel? Pot-Kettle Black me thinks...

Easy Peasy not everybody at EK chooses to move on and are certainly not unemployable... Despite what you read on Prune the vast majority are still here and plan to remain for various personal reasons whether that be schooling, salary, security, etc.

Yes you can pick holes in the aforementioned, like I say its personal to the individual!

The old two buckets principle still applies :ok:

Jack330
1st Feb 2018, 07:51

And Dxb total loss and many others that we hide very well...
ek is the bottom of the barrel among the ME Companies lately.
Some new joiners are far better than many seasoned ek pilots imho.

BDD
1st Feb 2018, 08:25
How empirical of you..

I had to look that up.

empirical |əmˈpirik(ə)l|
adjective
based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic: they provided considerable empirical evidence to support their argument.

fliion
1st Feb 2018, 08:38
And Dxb total loss and many others that we hide very well...
ek is the bottom of the barrel among the ME Companies lately.
Some new joiners are far better than many seasoned ek pilots imho.

Jack, with all due respect, you might be right but read Bananas post # 35, I lean towards his theory - in that most of this mess is not down to individuals talent. It’s systemic.

Different holes in model for each incident. JFK - proceduralization ? Fatigue perhaps, noisy CRC as too cheap to invest in the best. Who knows.

DME? Too much for this mere mortal to analyze. Could it be rooted in culture of fear and lack of desire to hand fly and thus basic skills lost, spare capacity diminished?

EK 521 ? - well if you’ve ever had base training in a Boeing widebody as I have, then you will never forget the most important part of those three touch and goes - the throttles don’t move with the TOGA push.
The sim could replicate I suppose but we all know it’s different when it’s for real and there was never any botched landing training when I joined or upgraded. Why no base training here for new hires and then again on upgrade ? They are just too cheap on every level to do it any other way than the Walmart way.

For over ten years now no meaningful package improvements to attract and retain talent (actually a substantial decrease), CRCs in tractor tail, wafer thin in Bus, Shyte tablets, 3 hour sims, deteriorating hotac, primary residential compound lacking a pool, gym, grocery store - for over three years now, trainer pay & experience sub par..lots more. It’s a nickel and dime joint.

And for the good guys that stay - what incentive is there to climb the ascenine political mgt ladder that’s lacks any form of meaningful transparency.
None, so now you have a system that can’t write a basic FCI without changing it three days later due to ‘testing’ (quicker than the alcohol Customs reversal in fairness)
A fatigue mgt system that is a secret, a down route per diem allocation system that is a secret, Hotac committee criteria a secret, a seniority list that is a secret, a monthly Fleet Forum system secretly discarded.

The incompetence has become systemic.

Quite surprised that there has not been a complete clear out of upper Training & Fleet mgt starting with ATC.

They’ve taken the money - yet it’s all on their watch.

Real mensch would resign in shame...because this system is their baby.

olster
1st Feb 2018, 13:04
During my ( thankfully) shortish tenure in the EK training department one of ( many) surprising / shocking things was the location of the pilot rest area on board. To have the resting captain at the @rse end of the aircraft is beyond bonkers for hopefully understandable reasons. In my two long haul airlines the flight crew rest was always just behind the flight deck.

LivingINtheDream
1st Feb 2018, 16:58

I believe in EK they’re called Austranauts. Spot on!

Ramones
1st Feb 2018, 19:18
I believe in EK they’re called Austranauts. Spot on!

I gotcha now

greenfields
1st Feb 2018, 20:10
I agree with all of what you say filion, the only exception is re the base training. I think that is an industry wide standard now, not EK specific. I'm not sure that any major carrier operating widebodies does base training for real anymore; rather it is all done in the simulator. I think that has been the case for about a decade.

donpizmeov
1st Feb 2018, 20:45
380 does Base training at DWC for low houred guys.

greenfields
1st Feb 2018, 21:35
Boom! Well there you go. Thanks Don. :)

Jack D
2nd Feb 2018, 03:36
Also base training for cadets on the 777