PDA

View Full Version : What options do I have?

ratherbeupthere
29th Jan 2018, 14:07
Hello Pprune,

I'm a British FAA private pilot with a current instrument rating I trained in a 141 flight school in the USA however had to leave due to family issues. I was 7 hours shy from completing my hour building (50hours) and have a total of approx 170 hours. At this moment in time I can't return to USA for at-least 6 months to a year, however I'm able to travel anywhere else. I really want to wrap up my training with a FAA Commercial license (single engine) so I can begin working? what options/alternatives do I have other than hanging around to return to USA. I've heard of people having FAA training as well as checkrides done here in UK/Europe but the threads I've stumbled across are rather outdated

rudestuff
30th Jan 2018, 10:02
Reading between the lines, it sounds like you've gone home out of status and now you're banned from the US? You want an FAA CPL. Where do you intend to work?

I assume being part 141, you're planning a CPL with 190 hours. Why not just go straight for EASA? It's 10 hours for the IR and 15 for the CPL.

ratherbeupthere
30th Jan 2018, 11:42
I returned home days before expiry of my visa so I'm certainly not banned from the US. I just can't travel there at this time being. I intend on working in Africa.

EASA is currently the last resort I'd prefer sticking with FAA training if possible

rudestuff
30th Jan 2018, 15:51
Ok, you said you couldn't go to the US but you could go anywhere else - hence my assumption. You can only go part 141 in the US. You might be able to get tested outside the US, but it would be part 61. That means 250 hours. I know you don't want to face EASA exams, but that's your cheapest option. Bizarrely.

rudestuff
30th Jan 2018, 16:03
Or try Canada. You'll still need 250 hours, but you can train in Canada with no visa, and you can convert between transport Canada and FAA with no flight test.

johnjohncafe
31st Jan 2018, 04:09
You can only go part 141 in the US.

Hi, you can switch from part 141 to part 61 in the US. I did that when I was a student pilot over there.

You should look for flight schools which have CFI/CFII/MEI and contact them, they are quite easy to find via google.
I don't know about UK but there are a couple of flight schools in France that are used to provide FAA training.

rudestuff
31st Jan 2018, 08:53
You're missing the point, in the US you can go part 141 or 61, true. But if the OP wants to go part 141 that can only be done in the US.

ratherbeupthere
31st Jan 2018, 10:38
You're right I would have to go Part 61 which would be more costly. How did you know I'm not keen on facing the EASA exams :} Can you recommend any schools that can facilitate my conversion

rudestuff
31st Jan 2018, 14:31
If you genuinely want to work in Africa:
1 go to Canada
2 get a Canadian medical
3 take only the exams and Canada will give you PPL/IR, no test required.
4 get a Canadian CPL - (only 200hrs Vs 250hrs)
5 go to Africa

If you secretly want to work in Europe - take the bloody exams! 1 week per subject is what I did.

aircooled
1st Feb 2018, 09:17
If you do want to fly in Africa, (which I highly recommend) then you'll need more than 250 hours in all likelyhood...500 would be preferable, in fact mandatory in many instances. They also won't care which national license you have.

You can definitely complete your training in Canada, it's a simple paperwork exercise to convert back to FAA, as stated previously by other posters. If you're going to Africa, it's unnecessary anyway. Be warned however, it's getting harder for Expats/Foreigners to get jobs in Africa these days...still worth trying though.

Regarding EASA ATPLs, they are challenging but manageable...I would even be so bold as to suggest that there are three subjects you could do in one week with full-time study. Good luck either way....

ratherbeupthere
1st Feb 2018, 18:22
If you genuinely want to work in Africa:
1 go to Canada
2 get a Canadian medical
3 take only the exams and Canada will give you PPL/IR, no test required.
4 get a Canadian CPL - (only 200hrs Vs 250hrs)
5 go to Africa

If you secretly want to work in Europe - take the bloody exams! 1 week per subject is what I did.

I'll definitely consider the Canadian route. Do you think this is something I can accomplish in under 6 months provided all the finances are in order? and is there any flight schools you can recommend in CA?