PDA

View Full Version : How something as simple as a fitness tracker can reveal more

NutLoose
29th Jan 2018, 09:50
Suprising at the least and can have security issues, see

Fitness tracker Strava lights up military base - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42853072)

BEagle
29th Jan 2018, 10:21
Another good reason not to commit sport or go jockstrapping!

Join Athletics Anonymous - if you get the unnatural urge to commit sport, ring a mate who will take you to the pub and talk you out of such foolishness.

trim it out
29th Jan 2018, 10:44
They'll be fine as long as they're wearing their Hi-Vis belt.

unmanned_droid
29th Jan 2018, 11:17
I knew strava was a bad idea...

29th Jan 2018, 17:31
It’s all in the privacy settings...clearly people don’t read instructions.

EESDL
29th Jan 2018, 17:48
Hard to imagine there is a ‘secret’ location that is not already known.....
Just shows how ignorant some users are

unmanned_droid
29th Jan 2018, 18:36
It’s all in the privacy settings...clearly people don’t read instructions.

Do you feel it makes a difference if its opt in or opt out?

Above The Clouds
29th Jan 2018, 18:56
How do you think the US government got 90% of the countries finger prints ?

Just get Apple to build the iPhone 5 and later models with a finger print recognition screen unlock, then send the data via Apples diagnostic function directly to the CIA. :) only kidding right ;)

Melchett01
29th Jan 2018, 19:14
It’s not just Strava. Hands up who has an iPhone - personal or work.

Right, have you turned off the automatic tracking and logging of your location? Well, it’s your handset’s location but it’s safe to assume that you’ll be with it, and I don’t mean the tracking you get when you move from cell tower to tower. I’ve read of numerous cases criminal and linked to divorce where individuals have been caught out as being somewhere they said they weren’t.

Have a look in your own phones logs, you might be surprised:
Settings -Privacy - Location Services - System Services - Significant Locations - ensure the toggle is set to off. Now you can go to the pub on safety having told C-in-C Home you were popping out to B&Q or suchlike.

Apparently this isn’t sent to Apple, it just stays on your phone, which is fine assuming you have and know you have full and sole control of your phone and its functions.

VinRouge
29th Jan 2018, 19:47
Its not just Apple, you can view your entire location history with Google too.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6258979?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en&oco=1

Plus, its not just personnel tracking these days.

adsbexchange.com has histories of aircraft movements as far East as Cyprus, and doesnt even need ads-b installed to track you. As far back as 2016.

Pontius Navigator
30th Jan 2018, 08:31
VR, could be a bit of a give away if you were captured.

redsetter
30th Jan 2018, 08:40
Does the MOD not have rules regarding personal devices and their connectivity to the internet whilst on site at military establishments ?

unmanned_droid
30th Jan 2018, 08:53
Problem is, gps tracking is an integral part of capturing fitness data. Its unlikely that this is being broadcast off base immediately because the apps can store the information for when they're connected to an external network. So the chances are the personnel are conforming to the rules at the time. Competitions on base may even demand the use of fitness trackers/Strava accounts to assess performance - miles done per tour, tour fastest mile etc. This has more to do with how pervasive personal data collection is. And how that data is used. And how people don't understand that just because someone says its anonymous doesn't actually mean it is.

gr4techie
30th Jan 2018, 23:28
In my opinion this is just tabloid sensationalism, a good story but completely irrelevant.
As how many RAF stations are an unknown secret? Also there's nothing to stop "the bad guys" fro observing anyone leaving the camp gates, even without a fitness tracker. The recent case at Marham is an example.
Or the "bad people" could simply sit outside the nearest pub on a Friday night.
From my own experiences that app has more positives than negatives. It's a great diary to log your runs and show you just how much or little you've done. You can even set yourself goals or targets and compare past runs to see improvements.
I would be more concerned about those Airmen who do absolutely no cardio fitness and struggle to pass their annual fitness test.

unmanned_droid
31st Jan 2018, 12:16
In my opinion this is just tabloid sensationalism, a good story but completely irrelevant.
As how many RAF stations are an unknown secret? Also there's nothing to stop "the bad guys" fro observing anyone leaving the camp gates, even without a fitness tracker. The recent case at Marham is an example.
Or the "bad people" could simply sit outside the nearest pub on a Friday night.
From my own experiences that app has more positives than negatives. It's a great diary to log your runs and show you just how much or little you've done. You can even set yourself goals or targets and compare past runs to see improvements.
I would be more concerned about those Airmen who do absolutely no cardio fitness and struggle to pass their annual fitness test.

Its less of an issue here than it is on deployment. Pattern of life is a well used source of information to tie down a person or even just the presence of a person to an area.

Davef68
31st Jan 2018, 12:28
Some interesting hot spots in te Nevada desert too. I notice someone at Groom Lake using one

NutLoose
31st Jan 2018, 13:09
So if you work out a route based on a giant penis and balls, I wonder how long that will take to show up at Brize or the like? :E

Davef68
31st Jan 2018, 17:01
So if you work out a route based on a giant penis and balls, I wonder how long that will take to show up at Brize or the like? :E

You mean like this?

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/112EA/production/_99787307_bagram_airbase.jpg

NutLoose
31st Jan 2018, 19:36
Lol it needs refining

The Old Fat One
1st Feb 2018, 08:50
So if you work out on a root based on a giant penis and balls,

fixed your post