PDA

View Full Version : Cadet opportunity on behalf of a friend..

ChrisE
28th Jan 2018, 01:08
Evening chaps,

I understand this question may seem like it lacks intelligence or research, but I'm trying to help a friend who's graduated CTC and been shafted in the hold pool and been left without employment. Are there any opportunities out there bar the usual ones on Flight Deck Friend you'd be able to recommend? I realise positions are mostly filled in the UK now with the demise of Monarch, but if there are any guys on this forum with fingers in pies or connections in the right places with a good suggestion, please could you post your ideas below!

Also another question for guys still seeking their first F/O jobs (or recently obtained), what was your average wait for a position?

Thanks!

schweizer2
28th Jan 2018, 07:29
Not quite sure how your friend would have been 'shafted', after all, I am sure somewhere in the contract it would say that CTC is not obliged to find him a job.

First job maybe a year, first jet job, 5 years to get to.

clamchowder
28th Jan 2018, 08:20
Try Ryanair. There is an Irish JOC/ MCC Course that apparently has links with Ryanair, know a few guys who trained at flying clubs who got in quite quick after doing it.
Took me nearly 3 years to get a job. Made an application and within 2 weeks was told I'd passed and a week after that doing the type rating!
Keep licenses and medical current at all costs. Reading Flight mags and an hour flying VFR a month helped me keep my head in the game.
Good luck

MaverickPrime
28th Jan 2018, 11:02
The poor sky gods at CTC aren’t getting jobs handed to them anymore? Welcome to the real world!

bex88
28th Jan 2018, 13:37
Graduated 2008. Got a few knock backs, kept my licence current and gained a few contacts which I kept in contact with. Usual story no jobs, missed the only one going at a LOCO, got a hold pool place on a TP which came to nothing. Kept in touch with my contacts without being intrusive and after a “with the people who are available we are not looking to recruit low hour pilots this year but keep in touch” a phone call a few weeks later asking me to come to a sim test in two days time. I was given the opportunity and thankfully I was able to prove myself and was offered the job the next morning. All in all it was about two years. Flight school careers/placing had nothing to do with it. It amazes me still but it was networking and being ready for when they suddenly needed some pilots like yesterday. One thing is certain though, you have to go and get it because nobody is going to search you out. Good luck and keep yourself ready to work.

RexBanner
28th Jan 2018, 14:57
Lucky escape if you ask me! On a serious note though I echo the comments above. Nobody is owed a job, get those feelers out and put in the spade work (networking). That’s what most people have had to do in the past.

B73G
28th Jan 2018, 15:06
CTC owes you nothing. Welcome to the real world. Your friend is no more entitled to a job a anyone else, just because they went to CTC.

People wait moments, people wait years. There's no such thing as luck, as a friend once said; "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity".

I do, empathise slightly, having friends in the same boat, but they're all working their socks off and keeping their heads down, applying to literally everyone they can, or moving into flight instruction. Maybe your friend should consider this?

Lexsis
28th Jan 2018, 16:51
I heard a rumour that CTC sent 10 of their best students for an assessment to Wizz Air and they have all been sent back home.

Hahahaha, this made my day, no offence, I genuinely had a laugh when I read this. The pre-requirements aren't that high to be honest. So I don't necessarily want to call anyone the best of the best that CTC has to offer haha!

FlipFlapFlop
28th Jan 2018, 17:14
Pick and choose who you listen to carefully. There are those that spit venom at the mention of CTC. They are not a popular outfit in the eyes of many having paid a significant part in the erosion of pilots terms and conditions.
The lucky few have fallen out of CTC (or other) into their first job in a shiny jet. Some had to wait a long time and frankly depends on market forces at the time.
I did get a job straight away (not from CTC) but they went bust within two years. That left me as a low hours pilot to fight with many for very few positions and had to make do with some real crap jobs in the meantime. Eventually had to quit the UK and spent years with Qatar. Not great. Now 10 years after qualifying I have a LHS job with a loco (although if a pool place with BA comes off I may decide to shift back to the right).
I think my main message is it is a tough world out there and the positive advice from others is spot on. Stay prepared, go for everything (and I mean everything) and develop a network of people who may one day help. Nothing will land on the plate if the plate is not there.
I understand it is difficult and worrying especially for those that have bank rolled a CTC course. But as others have said, CTC owe your friend nothing. They just don't say this when the starry eyed youngster signs on the dotted line.

ChrisE
28th Jan 2018, 22:49
Hi guys, thanks for all the responses - All of you seem to be heading in the same direction so I'll offer that as advice or link him to this post.

A few of you have asked how CTC have shafted him - basically he lost his medical in the early stages of ground-school because of an illness, recovered and subsequently missed the mark on a couple of exams, following on from that he had a serious illness in his family during the IR phase for which he requested time off as he wasn't in the right frame of mind to be flying (pretty good decision making in my eyes). However, whoever wrote his report at CTC said he lacked application, was lazy and not dedicated - which, quite obviously, has deterred any airline he's tried approaching to this point.

Of course I realise that hard work and perseverance are key to securing any desirable role, but he's only getting sniffs at pay to fly schemes at the moment which he's obviously steering well clear of. In terms of Ryanair, he applied, was told they were offering him an assessment day and then a few days later he got a rejection email! They now won't let him re-apply and haven't given feedback or a time when his application ban will be removed. Interesting what Clamchowder says about the Ryanair MCC/JOC, I'll pass this info on

Once again thanks a lot for your replies!

Deskjocky
29th Jan 2018, 05:44
Whilst Im not a great fan of these cadet schemes, as these companies have been instrumental in driving the terms and conditions down in the industry for years, I do have sympathy with youngsters trying to break into the industry.

My advice is to look overseas, Africa is one with Botswana and Namibia being options and if he has any South African heritage and can get residence then He stands a fair shot of landing something with the charter operators. The loco’s in SA are hoovering up literally every available pilot so slots at the bottom of the rung are there

VinRouge
29th Jan 2018, 07:13
Africa has some very interesting flying to boot, with some pretty big expansions in some areas.

Pilot2/b
29th Jan 2018, 07:55
Is this post actually a joke?
I thought I’d heard it all until reading this. Trying to get a job for my friend from CTC. Someone needs a little more life experience if you ask me.
Maturity is extremely important in this business!

Skipname
29th Jan 2018, 08:48
There's no such thing as luck, as a friend once said; "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity".

I disagree with the notion that there is no luck and here is an example. When I was out of the flight school and looking for that first job I applied to all the jobs I could find, including Ryanair.

Ryanair invited all the guys from my class to the interview stage except me. I don't know why Ryanair didn't invite me, I passed all the ATPL exams with a high average and first pass on all the skill tests. I put that down to being unlucky. Last summer, 5 years later Ryanair did send me an email to ask me if I am still interested hahahah

Also a very good airline sent me an invite to an interview but their email went to my span folder and I saw it only after a week later when they sent me another email to tell me that all the dates were fully booked and that they will contact me some other time but they never did.

Cirrussy
29th Jan 2018, 09:24
CTC and Jerez have pumped out some of the biggest guff I've ever had to fly with! Give me someone with a set of brains, a go-get attitude any day. To me, that means modular... Can't understand for the life of me why the recruiters continue to prefer an integrated student.

Pilot2/b
29th Jan 2018, 10:21
CTC and Jerez have pumped out some of the biggest guff I've ever had to fly with! Give me someone with a set of brains, a go-get attitude any day. To me, that means modular... Can't understand for the life of me why the recruiters continue to prefer an integrated student.
Couldn’t agree more, very well said....

RudderTrimZero
29th Jan 2018, 10:40
Primera Air will be taking on lots of cadets soon as they are running out of options to crew for their massive expansion plans. I don't know the channel through which they are getting them or which flight school they have a relationship with (if any) but get in touch with Mountain High aviation agency.

Warning. CTC will have a good reason for not finding your friend employment, especially in this current environment of jobs galore. It really hasn't been this good since I started out 20 years ago. Whether that be due to performance, or as is more common these days amongst kids, their own attitude and conduct only you or he will truly know.

What I will say is that the quality of cadets (not the training) even from the great sausage factories is not what it used to be. The astronaut like selection/assessment process seems unable to weed out those with serious attitude problems and unworthy behavioral traits. On the hand, it's good at weeding out people with mature personalities who might pose a challenge to the status quo. At my last airline we had a whole bunch of showoffs, please-me types who were only interested in selfies and making go-pro videos, and even downright psychotic liars who were universally hated for the amount of BS they would invent. Most of them from CTC. Seems the psych tests are not interested in maturity and life experience.

Good luck

PA28161
29th Jan 2018, 10:47
Just curious but why are you posting this and not your friend; is he not capable of explaining his own situation? Are you and your friend one and the same person?:rolleyes:

PA28161
29th Jan 2018, 10:50

I couldn't agree more; well said Cirrussy

Trossie
29th Jan 2018, 11:34
Just curious but why are you posting this and not your friend; is he not capable of explaining his own situation? Are you and your friend one and the same person?:rolleyes:Probably a very accurate post!

CTC got you a licence. From now on it's up to you. Not all aeroplanes are over 50 tons with two big jets engines under the wings. There are lots of turbo-prop jobs out there. ... what was your average wait for a position?Probably in those circles at the moment "How soon can you start?"

But then, if you are too snooty to get a turbo-prop job and add some real experience to your C.V., may you wallow in debt for a whole lot longer.

Cirrussy
29th Jan 2018, 11:36
Thanks.

With respect to RudderTrimZero's comments, I would also have to agree.

If for no other reason than "great company in the cockpit" (and there ARE many more reasons) I would choose a modular FO any day.

Other reasons inlcude:

Self-confidence (not to be confused with arrogance - a trait from CTC, etc)
A personality (which gets you further than your CTC wings, in my book)
Wider variety of experience (different aircraft types, different weather)
Exposure to a variety of training techniques
Appreciate the value of money
Appreciate the value of a job
Appreciate the value of doing a job they enjoy
Previous career could be of use (e.g. engineering)
Likely to be a grown up
Less inclined for selfies

Sometimes if I arrive into the car park at work a little earlier than planned, I enjoy a few minutes of peace before setting off for the crew room. I often catch a fresh CTC graduate dawdling with significant swagger, sunglasses on, mobile in one hand, jacket unbuttoned. If nothing else, CTC definitely teach them to look the part... And it boils my pish!

As you can probably tell, I have no strong opinions on this subject!

ChrisE
29th Jan 2018, 12:18
Just curious but why are you posting this and not your friend; is he not capable of explaining his own situation? Are you and your friend one and the same person?:rolleyes:

No, I'm quite happy in my charter airline thanks very much. Nobody likes to see friends or family downbeat so I'm doing everything I can to help him. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd do the same if you were a good friend. 3 years of rejection emails is likely to dampen anybodies spirit so I'm trying to get advice from fellow pilots who might've been through something similar.

Quite simply all I'm asking for is advice on potential opportunities, no matter how obscure (because he's not one of those CTC lads that expects the world and thinks anything under a CFM56 is beneath him). I didn't come onto this forum for opinionated views on CTC, because believe me, as an ex CTC guy myself, I too can't stand them as an organisation.

magicmick
29th Jan 2018, 12:19
Great posts RudderTrimZero and Cirrussy, it’s a shame more senior hiring people don’t share your opinions. Though as a self confident, adult modular trained individual with a previous engineering career, an appreciation of the value of money and of a job plus no inclination for selfies or social media then I would agree with you both.

As such I do not expect preference for modular over the lantern jawed integrated sky gods but a level(ler) playing field would be nice.

Officer Kite
29th Jan 2018, 13:32
awful levels of bitterness on here, good grief!

flash8
29th Jan 2018, 15:00
Just goes to show how low we have fallen the last few years or so.

Self improver, instructing, turboprop, first (often clockwork) jet... the old days when you showed your determination and not your wallet.

Anybody literally with £100K spare cash to burn now can be RHS of a 737/A320, button twiddling magenta line clowns with a facebook fan base, and no aptitude? Don't worry... just throw more cash (training) at it... oh yes Kos should have been a warning.

MaverickPrime
29th Jan 2018, 15:54
From interviews and events I’ve attended in the past, I can assert that some of the people recruiting these sky gods from CTC et al are of the same ilk.

a350pilots
29th Jan 2018, 16:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCwCTdLLMTw

Stocious
29th Jan 2018, 16:34
Cirrussy

:ugh:

I can't begin to describe my consternation at all of that nonsense and general preconceptions, but CTC being blamed for uniform standards in other airlines now? The mind boggles.

Cirrussy
29th Jan 2018, 16:41
Speechless...!

Cirrussy
29th Jan 2018, 16:45
:ugh:

I can't begin to describe my consternation at all of that nonsense and general preconceptions, but CTC being blamed for uniform standards in other airlines now? The mind boggles.

Another delicate little flower from CTC finds him/herself offended by a bit of straight talking. Cute.

FlipFlapFlop
29th Jan 2018, 16:54
Sorry ChrisE, assumed you were not in the aviation industry from your original post. Are you saying now that your friend has been in a hold pool for 3 years following CTC qualification ?

Stocious
29th Jan 2018, 17:08
Another delicate little flower from CTC finds him/herself offended by a bit of straight talking. Cute.

Rude. If you knew of my background prior to CTC (strangely, a lot of us do have them) you'd realise I'm not exactly a 'delicate little flower'.

Just goes to show that despite the many ways into this job, :mad: can come from all avenues.

Lexsis
29th Jan 2018, 17:39
Quite a few keyboard heroes in this thread, keep it going guys, Im having some more popcorn while reading this.

Someone just asking advice/doing some networking for a friend, and just look how some people are replying....

Edit: That must have been one of the bigger cringeworthy videos I have seen in a while...

Contact Approach
29th Jan 2018, 17:52
That video made my eyes bleed.

Cirrussy
29th Jan 2018, 17:53
Stocious, I apologise. I'm being antagonistic, and I do realise that you aren't all a bad bunch!

Unfortunately, a natural pilot will be a natural pilot no matter where they learn to fly. A Mummy's boy with £100k to blow straight after school will most likely go to the big training establishments (and sadly go on to get a job).

The elephant in the room, however, is that the original poster's mate went to CTC and isn't getting jobs. Maybe he's just not up to it? Maybe he's an unlikeable character in interview? As has been stated already, you might have a licence but there's no entitlement to a job.

Officer Kite
29th Jan 2018, 17:56
Joey Essex is becoming a pilot!?

Anyway ... "As far as I know, you can't start ground school until you're 18 years old, however ..." - WRONG!

Whats the point in giving out info if your info is wrong.

flash8
29th Jan 2018, 17:59
That video made my eyes bleed.

And that isn't even representative of the whole rotten ethos!

This is what happens when the whole thing becomes marketing, with aptitude and ability not even a close second to cash, failed your IR? No problem.... more dosh please.

Sorry I was raised the old way, and whilst might be considered a dinosaur it was only twenty years ago everything was completely different, at least then the cadetships that existed (BA) took good quality motivated candidates with aptitude and all this CTC (and others) money "route" didn't thankfully exist.

And wtf is that "uniform"?

Pilot2/b
29th Jan 2018, 19:25
CTC student plugging Bristol GS study material.
You can’t make this up!

SFCC
29th Jan 2018, 19:56
I'd not let that youth do a PA until he'd grasped how to say words with 'th' in them properly.

ChrisE
29th Jan 2018, 22:43
Sorry ChrisE, assumed you were not in the aviation industry from your original post. Are you saying now that your friend has been in a hold pool for 3 years following CTC qualification ?

Ah, sorry if my message came across that way. No I've been involved in aviation since 2010 and in the RHS since 2015. My friend was in the hold pool for 2 years with CTC, but unsurprisingly (despite claiming they have a seniority system when it came to expressing interest in job opportunities) he was told his place in the hold pool would be expunged after CTC basically admitted defeat in linking him with a partner airline (98% of cadets successfully placed according to the crap plastered all over the walls in Nursling).

He's since been applying relentlessly for any RHS position all over the globe, keeping current despite the obvious financial restrictions, and also gaining a SEP rating to try and fly enough hours with the spare cash he does eventually have to apply for Wizz or FlyDubai. He's trying to remain in the industry and create a network of contacts by doing various roles - currently cabin crew with BA.

I've tried my best to get him an interview with my employer, and it looked likely to happen until we outsourced all of our recruitment to a small training school in Crawley.

Once again, thanks to those guys who've made a genuine contribution to this post. As for the guys who love tearing shreds into CTC cadets, wouldn't you be better off browsing the 'Wannabes forums'?

schweizer2
30th Jan 2018, 05:58
You have come to this thread to make accusations that CTC shafted your friend. I still await this proof?
If he was shafted, wouldn't it be easier to get a solicitor, he surely can't lose!

The more people that think they "get shafted" by CTC the better, we need less people funding that aviation disease.

CTC is just a glorified flying school nothing more. Says it all when airlines such as Flybe now refuse to use CTC for their recruitment. :D

MaverickPrime
30th Jan 2018, 08:57
Really? How did you find this out? You can PM if you don’t want to post publicly.

schweizer2
30th Jan 2018, 09:25
Ah, refuse is probably too strong a word... more like stopped using CTC's recruitment services due to some aviation gods not meeting the standard.

Their stint with CTC was really short lived....

Avenger
30th Jan 2018, 09:34
OP, if your friend has deep pockets there are still type rating schemes in Turkey with Sun Express via Stella in Holland, but from what I hear its hit and miss if you get hired. Having said that, SXS seem to like ex-pats and it may be worth a shot, although he would need to pass the DLR or equivalent and stump up the 30K Euro for the type rating. Don't have any contacts there but we have many cloggies that were there here and talk highly of the work environment. This is SXS Turkey, not SXD we are talking about.

clamchowder
30th Jan 2018, 10:03
Chris,
Another idea... Becoming cabin crew for easyJet you can apply for an FO position internally. I know 2 people that have. Not sure if the rating is paid for in cash that way or if it's a bond though.

Trossie
30th Jan 2018, 11:51
As for the guys who love tearing shreds into CTC cadetsIt's not particularly those from CTC that I would criticise, it is all of those who think that a big wad of money and several months at a flying school is a 'short circuit' into a big shiny jet job. It appears very much in this case that CTC has done their job and that is to spit the cadet out at the end of the course with a licence. From there on it is the big wide world that you have to deal with and it's no good trying to hang onto CTC's coat tails. CTC can say that they'll try to get you a job, but the real person who gets you a job is you. And don't aim too high. You would learn a huge amount more that would be of immense value for your future career if your first job was on a piston twin. Not 'glamorous', but if it is 'glamour' that you're after then spend a bit more time being 'glamorous' in the dole queue. Become a flying instructor. Do something to show that you really have an interest in flying. With a brand-new licence you are still very much in the learning stages of your career and those 'un-glamorous' jobs will teach you a huge amount. Stop saying that you've been 'shafted', get out there and take charge yourself. And aim sensibly, or else enjoy that dole queue. Anyone who slags off turbo-prop pilots is not a real pilot and doesn't deserve to be treated as such (just for clarification, I am not a turbo-prop pilot!). I did once know one turbo-prop airline that wouldn't recruit newly qualified cadets as they couldn't cope with the actual work. Makes me wonder if I actually want to fly as pax in an airline that is employing over-opinionated cadets!

BehindBlueEyes
30th Jan 2018, 12:46
I have a close relative who went to FTE. Self sponsored. Crashed and burned (metaphorically!) in his first PTs. Ended up being recoursed. Knuckled down, grew up, realised the work involved and smashed his exams second time around. Took to the actual flying like a duck to water. Got a job offer within a month of graduating. Two years later, 1500 hours on 737. Latest sim check captain (known to be a tough cookie) said he could see command potential in him. Lad is still in his very early 20s.
Ironically, in his group of mates at FTE, there was another pupil, late 20s, degree in aeronautical engineering. First time exam passes. Graduated at the same time. Still looking for that first break two years later.

Luck or what?

Lexsis
30th Jan 2018, 13:09
Anyone who slags off turbo-prop pilots is not a real pilot and doesn't deserve to be treated as such (just for clarification, I am not a turbo-prop pilot!).

This :)

Coming from the above mentioned school (Here comes the tearing to pieces), I would have jumped at the chance to fly a turboprop. Altough in my case I got a job in a jet, it absolutely wouldnt have mattered to me. And I still cannot seem to understand why some of the cadets from this same school despise turboprop flying. As long as you can make a normal living a job is a job if you ask me...

Oh and currently CTC is barely ''placing'' anyone anywhere. Easyjet is running at full capacity and people who finish now will have to wait a loooong time to get an interview, or start the TR...
I suppose CTC isn't amused about this since they pay Easyjet money so they take their cadets...

Edit: I believe KURA Aviation also got ties with Airlines like FlyBe etc. it's basically an MCC/JOC and after that they usually put you forward to an Airline pretty quick, that's what I've heard about them atleast. Maybe try looking there too?

ChrisE
30th Jan 2018, 13:14
OP, if your friend has deep pockets there are still type rating schemes in Turkey with Sun Express via Stella in Holland, but from what I hear its hit and miss if you get hired. Having said that, SXS seem to like ex-pats and it may be worth a shot, although he would need to pass the DLR or equivalent and stump up the 30K Euro for the type rating. Don't have any contacts there but we have many cloggies that were there here and talk highly of the work environment. This is SXS Turkey, not SXD we are talking about.

Another good suggestion, thanks very much I'll pass this on.

Nimrodhasbeen
30th Jan 2018, 14:06
ChrisE,
Whilst your concern for your friend is admirable. I feel it is he/she that should be asking the questions and not you. You make your own luck in this world. Stop spoon feeding him/her. Getting into commercial aviation is not easy (for most). I know, I had my own set-backs, however, it made me more determined than ever to succeed. I wish him/her the best of luck.

RAFAT
30th Jan 2018, 18:26
Watched the video for less than a minute as I couldn't stand to hear anymore "vis", "vat", "vere", "ve".

Eudi
30th Jan 2018, 18:27
Does the recruitment process started in Loganair?

Trossie
31st Jan 2018, 07:52
hargreaves99

"It may be the guy not the experience" could be equally valid here. That 5,000 hours turboprop captain should probably concentrate on putting the idea across that he will not be a '5,000 hour captain' (and hence a pain in the arse to the real captain sitting to the left of him) when sitting in the right seat of that jet job.

About the 200 hour kids going straight into those jet jobs, this is probably a double-pronged 'problem':
They will be cheap and they will be happy to stay cheap for quite a few years to come (as long as they can swan about in their uniforms and put 'Airline Pilot' on Farcebook, they will tolerate low pay for a lot longer than the more mature 5,000 hour ex-turboprop captain);
Many of those airlines that take these 200 hour kids are run by managers who themselves started as 200 hour kids.

The second 'problem' that I mentioned is not only a British problem as the Dutch, French and Germans have airlines that are equally as 'guilty'. Outside Europe, in North America and the Antipodes for example, there is a healthy GA sector and pilots grow up as 'real pilots' there before getting that airline job. I am sure that if a certain Major European Airline that has routes across the South Atlantic had its flights manned by that type of 'real pilot' then there would not be very lengthy Threads on here and other Forums (Fora?) about a certain incident there.

I also started watching that video and jumped forwards in big chunks to see if it improved. It didn't. I don't think that there is any risk that I'll ever fly with him but what does really worry me is that I might have him (and his likes) take me somewhere when I am SLF.

a350pilots
31st Jan 2018, 08:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEdnwJxCh2A

10:00

vrb03kt
31st Jan 2018, 09:20
Edit: Don't mind me, I was thinking of the DA42. No idea about the DA20.

RAT 5
31st Jan 2018, 09:27
Find one on the ground and push down on the tail, as if you were manoeuvring it in a small space. The cockpit is pointing at the sky long before the tail near the ground. It would be a very brusque flare to achieve that and at a very low speed to stop it climbing.

Lexsis
31st Jan 2018, 11:48
The cringe....

I honestly don't mind people sharing their experiences and posting the occasional selfie on Instagram. But this? Come on, the ''arrogance'' at the end... I don't believe he is even aware of what he is saying is coming across to other people. The guy just did ''circuits 1'', so he has around 8-9 hours of actual flying time, but already comes across like a ''know it all''... (Can you imagine, he already is there for 5 weeks, what a pace for something that is advertised as ''fast-track'')

flash8
31st Jan 2018, 13:42
My gripe is with a selection based upon how much money you throw, average aptitude (based on your cohort), and an average interview... all of them eminently passable by a mediocre candidate.

Money then is the distinguisher.

And that should always be borne in mind.

Reverserbucket
31st Jan 2018, 13:53
There's a Dutch RYR F/O who posts similar stuff to this - cringeworthy, narcissistic waste of broadband, all of it. I see this L3 guy is endorsed by the school on the video but don't they moderate or edit before posting? There are numerous inaccuracies that surely L3 wouldn't want exposed in their name? Bending over for the training provider early on might afford him some favourable treatment short-term but alienate him from his classmates and will likely follow him through at least the early years of his career. Besides, I thought the Head of Sales & Marketing had recently departed Nursling?

RAT 5
31st Jan 2018, 14:44
There was an interesting introduction moment where I thought the flow of the flying exercises was excellent. He said that Climbing & Descending 1 was not a problem so Climbing & Descending 2 was combined; and then he moved onto Stalling. That could also have been combined with Climbing & Descending 3 to save time. :bored:

Cirrussy
31st Jan 2018, 17:46
I don’t think you can swear on here without being censored... But my god this chap needs putting down!

Perfick landins after lesson namba one! Hopefully the recruiters will have these videos on their radars... And black list him!

Trossie
1st Feb 2018, 10:06
Cirrussy

Well said!

Airlines (as do many businesses) have some rather fussy 'social media' policies. This guy might find that he has blotted his copy book for future jobs.

I do not believe that CTC could be sanctioning this.

If he was my student I would have already have put in for a student/instructor change.

The most worrying thing is: Why is he not out socialising with his course mates instead of wasting his time like that? Maybe the answer to that tells you enough. And maybe that has told the future recruiters enough too.

Dudley Do Right
1st Feb 2018, 17:57
Coming to a right seat near you.:ok:

Max Angle
1st Feb 2018, 19:26
then he discusses the possibility of a tail strike in a DA 20. What sort of pitch would you need to do that? No idea what the angle would be but it is definitely possible to "brush" the runway during a fully held off landing in certain light aircraft. The DA20 and Robin DR400 both have tail skids to protect them against it.

PA28161
2nd Feb 2018, 09:12
No, I'm quite happy in my charter airline thanks very much. Nobody likes to see friends or family downbeat so I'm doing everything I can to help him. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd do the same if you were a good friend. 3 years of rejection emails is likely to dampen anybodies spirit so I'm trying to get advice from fellow pilots who might've been through something similar.

Quite simply all I'm asking for is advice on potential opportunities, no matter how obscure (because he's not one of those CTC lads that expects the world and thinks anything under a CFM56 is beneath him). I didn't come onto this forum for opinionated views on CTC, because believe me, as an ex CTC guy myself, I too can't stand them as an organisation.

Look, I sympathise with your friend's situation and of course, we should all help one another where we are able, but I just think it is odd that he didn't post on PPruNE himself.

PA28161
2nd Feb 2018, 09:22
You have come to this thread to make accusations that CTC shafted your friend. I still await this proof?
If he was shafted, wouldn't it be easier to get a solicitor, he surely can't lose!

The more people that think they "get shafted" by CTC the better, we need less people funding that aviation disease.

CTC is just a glorified flying school nothing more. Says it all when airlines such as Flybe now refuse to use CTC for their recruitment. :D

And of course TCX et al

SFCC
3rd Feb 2018, 19:33
Is that true, that TCX no longer take sausages from CTC?

MaverickPrime
3rd Feb 2018, 20:36
Well it would certainly explain the recent IAGO cadet scheme TCX ran. There were a few modular guys from the Wings Alliance that made it into TCX. Would be interesting if someone can confirm that TCX doesn’t take from CTC/L3 anymore?

MaverickPrime
4th Feb 2018, 10:10
According to CTC/L3s latest FB post, easyJet’s head of training said that he knows he “will get some real top quality cadet pilots coming through” from the school. I’m sure he put emphasis on the word some....

MaverickPrime
4th Feb 2018, 12:44
Not sure my sarcasm came across, I wasn’t referring to amount, rather the quality.

Trossie
5th Feb 2018, 10:34
Why would anyone put a huge amount of money into an all-out run to get a pilots' licence when you have absolutely no clues what the state of the airline industry will be 18 months or so ahead? So many single incidents (and in the past we've had the invasion of Kuwait and '9/11') can end up effectively pouring all that money down the drain. Doing a bit-by-bit modular route to a licence gives you the opportunity to put things immediately on hold and fit in with the current state of the industry as you go through your training. If I was recruiting I would see those pilots as showing more common sense.

BluSdUp
5th Feb 2018, 20:18
I worked for CAE on and off for some years on different types and have a fair idea of the quality that comes out of there.
CTC is a unknown entity to me, but promises made by any school is of course useless.

Cae is getting 7 new simulators for RYR use mainly , and RYR is to hire 1000 pilots this year.
This according to the press release from RYR today.

Just remember: Paying for Your own type-rating undermines the industry!
There is no need anymore!

ChrisE
8th Feb 2018, 00:57
Well it would certainly explain the recent IAGO cadet scheme TCX ran. There were a few modular guys from the Wings Alliance that made it into TCX. Would be interesting if someone can confirm that TCX doesn’t take from CTC/L3 anymore?

Yeah I can confirm TCX aren't using CTC anymore. Recruitment done through IAGO, with cadets going onto a real crummy contract for 7 years in return for a free TR.

Vwon
8th Feb 2018, 08:22
That crummy contract is limited to 2 years, not 7.

ChrisE
8th Feb 2018, 10:21
That crummy contract is limited to 2 years, not 7.

Incorrect - the IAGO cadets go onto a 7/5 contract for the first two years, granted - but they receive a subsidised salary for 7 years in return for an Airbus rating. A year 7 IAGO cadet salary is still around £500-£1000 per year less than a year 2 self sponsored 'cadet'.

ChrisE
8th Feb 2018, 10:54
Interesting, I'd heard it was the cadet scale until 7 years then a bridge across to SFO 5 year salary. My salary on the other post was calculated post pay review based on the new basic salaries which are yet to be updated in the PPP. Still a couple of hundred from unfreezing, which isn't looking likely to happen quickly with the current roster/training requirements.