PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Update

Pages : [1] 2

allatp
25th Jan 2018, 22:15
Hi. I’m fixing to apply for a DEC position in Gulf Air, but their salary it has not been adjusted for a long time. Does anyone know nowadays if their salary with all the allowances is still good enough?
Thanks in advance!!

ironbutt57
26th Jan 2018, 03:35
define "good enough"

tiger1975
27th Jan 2018, 20:04
my friend their salary and benefits haven't been updated since 2007!! if you have other options, and i mean any other options , its better to avoid Gulfair......for many many reasons

allatp
28th Jan 2018, 02:42
Thanks Iron, would you be able to cover all the expenses (rent, kids schooling, etc) and still save some money?
Thanks.

allatp
28th Jan 2018, 02:45
my friend their salary and benefits haven't been updated since 2007!! if you have other options, and i mean any other options , its better to avoid Gulfair......for many many reasons

Thanks Tiger, but why would GA be avoidable?

allatp
28th Jan 2018, 13:50
Thanks Olbie, with two kids in elementary still saving chance?

allatp
31st Jan 2018, 11:06
Iron And Tiger, what do you think about it?

tiger1975
31st Jan 2018, 20:57
my friend the salary hasn't been updated since 2009, and with the devaluation of the dinar you are loosing roughly 1000 euros per month (it was devaluated in November 2017)!!!
be careful of the school allowances as they only give you approx 5500 euros per year for up to 2 children meaning 2800 euros per kid per year...you would need triple than that in order to put your kids into a western school!!! beware!!!! the Roster is absolute HELL!!!! 6 days in a row with ground time in the a/c every other day more than 5 hrs!! BEWARE!! accommodation allowance is NOT enough unless you are going with no family!!! beware!!! thy offer 700 BHD and you will need 200-300 more which is 700-900 euros more per monthnfor a descent 2 bedroom apt....you will only fly to India and Pakistan and Africa...maybe once a month to europe as you are an expat!! the little more money you would make working there is simply not worth the effort.....

ironbutt57
1st Feb 2018, 03:43
(it was devaluated in November 2017)

nope, still tied to the dollar!!!

schooling costs are the only major comment I hear from colleagues, are not covered very well...I think the line Capt average 13-15K US per month, not easy work, but no 320 job over here is...

Genuinely think you’d be mad to go to Gulf Air

on what do you base that statement? and supporting points?

RockyMntAV8R
1st Feb 2018, 07:35
Hi,
Is there any information on the T & C’s for Gulf Air. Does the company provide housing like some of the other ME carriers? Also do they have a similar retirement scheme? Lastly, what about roster and average monthly days off for a 320 Captain?
Thanks for any information.
Rocky

tiger1975
1st Feb 2018, 08:57
Gulf air provides by far the worst package in the area.....do your own research...good luck

allatp
2nd Feb 2018, 02:33
Genuinely think you’d be mad to go to Gulf Air

Zero, could you be more specific please?

allatp
2nd Feb 2018, 02:37
Olbie, can I PM you please?

returnofthemack
2nd Feb 2018, 21:54
where do I sign??

allatp
3rd Feb 2018, 12:15
Allatp: no prob.

Thanks a lot!!

allatp
3rd Feb 2018, 12:16
30N, how long ago did you leave?

Slash787
3rd Feb 2018, 17:38
Do they provide transfers fro/to Airport?

ironbutt57
3rd Feb 2018, 18:39
Do they provide transfers fro/to Airport?

not for flight deck personnel

Luibar
3rd Feb 2018, 18:49
So the terms and conditions from Gulf Air seems to be one of the best kept secrets in the ME ;)

ironbutt57
4th Feb 2018, 02:42
Im sure they will provide you accurate details at the interview...

Gordomac
4th Feb 2018, 09:28
Indeed. But accurate details provided before interview would be helpful. I mean, career decisions are being made on the likelihood of transport to/from airport. Gosh, next we will wonder about shoe allowance because we are expected to walk to the aircraft. Can I keep that yellow jacket & have bought for me, ear defenders for the walk around ? Blimey guys. You see the balance of opinion suggests that it is not for everyone but absolutely splendid for others.

Best place to live, comparatively, in the ME. Locals are just very special. Intermix is entertaining. Terms and conditions are for you to accept or decline at an early stage. Don't go there and become one of the moaners.

I only did 17 years. Others did, almost double. Some retired there. Despite a shambolic demise, I still cherish the best bits. And, driving to the airport in me jeep (because, gosh, no transport for Flight Deck (!!), was pure fun. Being recognised by my FO as he sped past in his Dodge Charger was pure delight & set the tone for the day.

Damn. Tearing up here. Nah, just kidding.

allatp
4th Feb 2018, 12:57
Gordo, thanks for your point of view. Just out of curiosity, when did you leave, what year?
Cheers

allatp
5th Feb 2018, 02:09
Olbie, right on! Thanks a lot for your insight!

JaymzHoggie
5th Feb 2018, 07:51
If you don't like it, please leave, no one is putting a gun to your head...

Wow. U sound like Ms. Kinsella...

Gordomac
5th Feb 2018, 09:50
allatp : There, at last, Olbie gives the run down. Gives you most of the tech info you need up to date. In answer to your question, I didn't leave. I was booted out without ceremony in 2008.Others, of my vintage, were shown the door, without ceremony, a year later. So, doesn't matter. I still value the best days of my career . Just get in there and go with the flow. Sign the Tech log, go home, pour yourself a JD & Coke, bang on some Miles Davis and set yourself up for relaxing days off with a great bunch of colleagues. Damn, you got me tearing up again. I really did love TC's on a Thursday night !

allatp
5th Feb 2018, 10:53
Gordo thanks for the reply.

tiger1975
7th Feb 2018, 20:22
OMG OLBIE do they pay you to speak such lies about GF?
its absolutely one of THE worst 320 gigs all over the world, not just around the ME area!
you must be one of the people who go often to the office and lxxxxx the manager pilots am i right? i am flabbergasted by the BS , and the misleading info you are giving these poor guys!
buzz off dude OLBIE!

ironbutt57
8th Feb 2018, 03:28
Olbie is spot on with his assessment

allatp
8th Feb 2018, 05:56
OMG OLBIE do they pay you to speak such lies about GF?
its absolutely one of THE worst 320 gigs all over the world, not just around the ME area!
you must be one of the people who go often to the office and lxxxxx the manager pilots am i right? i am flabbergasted by the BS , and the misleading info you are giving these poor guys!
buzz off dude OLBIE!

Tiger, please be more specific. You are not giving us (poor guys) any details. If you think I am being misled give me some facts, please!!
Thanks.

kwaiyai
8th Feb 2018, 23:12
Hi allatp,
I sent you over a PM hope it helps.
Regards,

allatp
9th Feb 2018, 01:16
Hi allatp,
I sent you over a PM hope it helps.
Regards,
Hi kwaiyai, received, thanks a lot!
Cheers

Soft Altitude
11th Feb 2018, 18:21
allatp,

olbie gave you an overview of the T&Cs, Gordo added a cherry on top. Disregard tiger1975 comments, way too negative and untrue.
I've been with GF for 14 years and counting and I have worked with quite a few airlines worldwide before I joined GF and I can tell you that over all GF is a good airline to work for, for the good reasons mentioned in previous threads which outweigh the cons by far.
A 3 bedroom flat of an excellent standard can be had for 800 BHD monthly fully furnished and all inclusive (700 BHD being your housing allowance), in a gated kind of compound with many facilities available for free in one of the best areas in Bahrain that is 15 minutes drive from the airport. Accommodation close to schools can be had in compounds for the same amount and you get a villa instead, but expect to drive an hour to the airport. Your annual leave is actually 52 days (including traveling days), not sure if any airline in the industry nowadays gives you that many days of leave (!) that you can arrange to have into several slots.
All the rest has already been mentioned in previous threads and yes, you definitely can save while having your family with you.
Best of luck.

Soft altitude out.

allatp
12th Feb 2018, 16:57
allatp,

olbie gave you an overview of the T&Cs, Gordo added a cherry on top. Disregard tiger1975 comments, way too negative and untrue.
I've been with GF for 14 years and counting and I have worked with quite a few airlines worldwide before I joined GF and I can tell you that over all GF is a good airline to work for, for the good reasons mentioned in previous threads which outweigh the cons by far.
A 3 bedroom flat of an excellent standard can be had for 800 BHD monthly fully furnished and all inclusive (700 BHD being your housing allowance), in a gated kind of compound with many facilities available for free in one of the best areas in Bahrain that is 15 minutes drive from the airport. Accommodation close to schools can be had in compounds for the same amount and you get a villa instead, but expect to drive an hour to the airport. Your annual leave is actually 52 days (including traveling days), not sure if any airline in the industry nowadays gives you that many days of leave (!) that you can arrange to have into several slots.
All the rest has already been mentioned in previous threads and yes, you definitely can save while having your family with you.
Best of luck.

Soft altitude out.
Soft, thank you so much for your insight, greatly appreciated!!
AA

Smoke mountain
14th Feb 2018, 08:54
Gulf Air appoints new COO:

Published on: February 13, 2018Source :Gulf Air
On February 12, 2018, Gulf Air, the Kingdom of Bahrain’s national carrier, announced the appointment of Captain Suhail Abdulhameed Abdulaziz Ismail as the airline’s new Chief Operating Officer, effective February 2018.

“As a UK graduate, Captain Ismail started his career with Gulf Air flying the Fokker F27 and later the renowned Boeing 747 fleet that Gulf Air operated in the 1980s” is noted in a statement by the airline. “With an aviation career spanning over 35 years, he brings a wealth of international aviation experience to his new position. Captain Ismail has worked both at Gulf Air and with other airlines in the region where he managed major fleet expansion projects including managing a fleet composed of 144 aircraft”.

Gulf Air underwent a series of management changes in 2017 – 2018. In May 2017 the carrier announced the appointment of its new Board of Directors. Following a sudden resignation of the airline’s CEO Maher Salman Al Musallam in June 2017, Captain Waleed Abdul Hameed Al Alawi was appointed as deputy chief executive officer in August 2017. In November 2017 Krešimir Kučko was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer.

as per as what i heard about him he is very straightforward guy,its time that someone clean up the mess... Any body knows him?

Landflap
14th Feb 2018, 09:17
New Board of Directors in May. CEO "suddenly" resigns in June. Deputy CEO now has no -one to deputise. Can't make this stuff up eh ? Revolving door spinning so fast no-one can actually get in !

Easy fix though. Stop the wasta. Keep Parliament out. Give the new guy a free reign. Stop the corruption. Get BAS out of the picture. Aaah, all been said before. Not going to happen is it ?

OUAQUKGF Ops
14th Feb 2018, 15:47
Well Gulf Air in the 1980s didn't have a fleet of B747s only a single leased B747 from Aer Lingus for a year or two. Typo for B737 or B767?

Smoke mountain
15th Feb 2018, 04:58
New Board of Directors in May. CEO "suddenly" resigns in June. Deputy CEO now has no -one to deputise. Can't make this stuff up eh ? Revolving door spinning so fast no-one can actually get in !

Easy fix though. Stop the wasta. Keep Parliament out. Give the new guy a free reign. Stop the corruption. Get BAS out of the picture. Aaah, all been said before. Not going to happen is it ?

Well said mate,the biggest problem GF has is the Big WASTA,which have been effecting everything lately! add to that Parliament keeps poking around!:ugh:

hope it works out for every one, with 787s delivery due on April they have huge shortage in pilots especially first officers on 320 gig as they are moving seniors to 78,they plan to keep 330s online for a while .

I heard unofficial statement that they are opening 7 new destinations as well during summer...

Landflap
15th Feb 2018, 09:36
Competition for Feb. Who is to be the CP 787 ? Will the same do the delivery flight and all subsequent delivery flights (simple Y/N for that one). Wasta ? Still ? It has always been the case but, to be fair, standard for the ME &, actually, quite rife throughout the world in many areas. Look at my mate Donnie Trump.

The thread was from a poster seeking info as he/she was considering joining. Balance is that it is still enjoyable and a great place to live. Oh yes, you will save a bundle even though you might have to fund your own car & dip into your pocket for creaming off life-styles.

No, you won't get to ever do a 787 delivery flight, we know who that will be but, for guys like the OP, go, get in, enjoy, never look back. A good buddy of mine still sings, it was " Hot fun in the sun !".

Smoke mountain
17th Feb 2018, 08:57
Competition for Feb. Who is to be the CP 787 ? Will the same do the delivery flight and all subsequent delivery flights (simple Y/N for that one). Wasta ? Still ? It has always been the case but, to be fair, standard for the ME &, actually, quite rife throughout the world in many areas. Look at my mate Donnie Trump.

The thread was from a poster seeking info as he/she was considering joining. Balance is that it is still enjoyable and a great place to live. Oh yes, you will save a bundle even though you might have to fund your own car & dip into your pocket for creaming off life-styles.

No, you won't get to ever do a 787 delivery flight, we know who that will be but, for guys like the OP, go, get in, enjoy, never look back. A good buddy of mine still sings, it was " Hot fun in the sun !".

I totally agree with you mate regarding the delivery flights,add to that even moving from 320s fleet to the new 787s fleet with long haul flights and 72 HRS layover our old friend Mrs Wasta will be involved too,
my advice to the thread starter, go in , save some money, enjoy life, and in 4 to 6 years go back home and relax,
Bahrain is very nice place and Bahrainis are really friendly,live isn't as expensive as other countries in the region.

PanAmFalcon
17th Feb 2018, 20:00
wasta will always play a major role in gf and that is what brought it down in the first place. New changes are coming through but the important things will remain. b787 and a new ground handling company opening soon, things will be a lot smoother... hopefully lol

allatp
18th Feb 2018, 04:14
I totally agree with you mate regarding the delivery flights,add to that even moving from 320s fleet to the new 787s fleet with long haul flights and 72 HRS layover our old friend Mrs Wasta will be involved too,
my advice to the thread starter, go in , save some money, enjoy life, and in 4 to 6 years go back home and relax,
Bahrain is very nice place and Bahrainis are really friendly,live isn't as expensive as other countries in the region.

Smoke, thanks a lot for the advise.

Smoke mountain
18th Feb 2018, 05:06
wasta will always play a major role in gf and that is what brought it down in the first place. New changes are coming through but the important things will remain. b787 and a new ground handling company opening soon, things will be a lot smoother... hopefully lol

There is hope with the new changes but you never know how it goes! the new management has good vibes..

Smoke mountain
18th Feb 2018, 05:07
Smoke, thanks a lot for the advise.

Most welcome mate,tell us how you find it.. Any updates when about you are starting?

allatp
18th Feb 2018, 12:30
Most welcome mate,tell us how you find it.. Any updates when about you are starting?

After all my considering was done, I finally applied for the job 2 weeks ago. I haven’t heard from them just jet.
Cheers.

ironbutt57
19th Feb 2018, 04:16
BAS...arrived on BA as self loading freight last night, crew had called ahead for landing card...waited 15 minutes for the airbridge..to be banged into the plane....landing cards?? "available inside"....never change

Landflap
19th Feb 2018, 09:43
Yeah, well ; was with a mate, in the pink palace to overhear him getting very wound up over something trivial, like fuel costs. He was quickly informed that his career mis-judgement was to consider that GF was a "proper airline". It was not. It was "a flying club" and the sooner he got to grips with that, enjoyed the club, he would become far happier. He took the advice, kinda, and enjoyed every minute of a long innings.

PanAmFalcon
26th Feb 2018, 02:07
another growth plan :}

Smoke mountain
26th Feb 2018, 08:26
another growth plan :}

Yep PanAm, new 8 destinations with fleet increase to 39 Aircraft,other low cost airline have bigger fleet:ugh:

Parliament are raising questions about the new position of deputy CEO?

squarecrow
27th Feb 2018, 09:34
Have they resumed flights to Qatar again out of interest.

GKOC41
27th Feb 2018, 13:31
Have the resumed flights to Qatar again out of interest.

Negative....

CaptainProp
3rd Mar 2018, 07:26
Advertising for DEC 330 now....

PanAmFalcon
4th Mar 2018, 00:24
True but flights to the far east and Boston are in the works so that could help. The steady growth is a healthy one. I know its overdue but we can't expect any meaningful expansion to be like what we saw with the airline that shall not be named and QR

Airmann
4th Mar 2018, 11:48
The issue is that plans for growth have come and gone for the past two decades. But Nothing has provided any real long term growth. It's been done in fits and starts but then fizzles away. A few new destinations open up, a lot of the time at the behest of the government, without a solid commercial basis, and at the end of the day they soon disappear.

Gulf Air is about as big as it is going to get given the current economic situation in Bahrain. And it doesn't have the presence of a Emirates, QR or the unmentionable.

After the disapearnce of QR from Saudi, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain the airline might see some room for growth but it requires both a credible vision and money. Gulf Air has neither.

I would take it for what it's worth, which is a laid back airline situated on a fairly laid back island. If you're looking for professionalism and a career that will provide you with more than just a salary at the end of the month try the other airlines.

ironbutt57
4th Mar 2018, 16:19
Advertising for DEC 330 now....

where did you see that? their website shows only 320...is it through an agency?

CaptainProp
5th Mar 2018, 18:33

Can't remember now. I'll see if I can find it again....

CP

Smoke mountain
6th Mar 2018, 04:58

I've seen it some where online too, it was through an agency, I'll try to look it up for you mate.

I hope this plan goes as planed, biggest problem is the corruption they have and involving politics in business .

The new management are cleaning up according to what I hear, not sure if they have prepared for the new babies coming next month!

Smoke mountain
6th Mar 2018, 05:00

sent you PM

CaptainProp
6th Mar 2018, 05:05
I’ve just found the one I had seen but when clicking on “apply here” it links to Gulf Air’s homepage and 320 recruitment.

CP

Gordomac
6th Mar 2018, 09:50
See ? Same old. Can't even get the advert right. Apply for 330, link to 320, probably get assigned to 787 ! But, you've got to love it. Makes the GF flying club pure joy. Really nice to read positive stuff &high hopes though fellas.

Still interested in returning as Consultant in Pilot Recruitment. Want my own Office, top floor, next to Nadir. Pretty personal sec, preferably female. Wrote to Head of HR but no reply.

Forget wasta. Know all the car-wash boys & am looking, seriously at the contracts they are offering me. Good luck to all, positive times.

ironbutt57
6th Mar 2018, 10:15
they are moving interested 320 Capts to the 330...

slowjet
7th Mar 2018, 09:56
Gordo, "See?" ! Same old. Knee jerk but still placing all options on the table. Actually, not a bad strategy. Maybe you could get back in through the car-wash connection and work your way up ? Seriously though, I thought some guys were dual rated on the 330/320 ?

Agreed. Good outfit and very nice to see the positive outlooks.

PanAmFalcon
14th Mar 2018, 21:19
new livery and uniform incoming

Joker11
15th Mar 2018, 03:00
new livery and uniform incoming

Seems like ME airlines are waking up after losing to the ME3.
KU and J9 also got new colours and to my knowledge J9 got new uniforms. Not sure about KU.

PanAmFalcon
16th Mar 2018, 04:58
gf really didnt need a new brand, just needed better management.

Gordomac
17th Mar 2018, 11:40
PanAm, interesting to see if they get this right. New uniforms can be a huge morale improver if the uniform is, in fact, an improvement. Cabin crew usually love the change, Hope the guys get a change too. I admired the old green, military style with brown shoes but they changed to the bog-standard, adopted world wide. Ghastly. Oh, and I campaigned, relentlessly to drop the damn silly hats. I thought my younger colleagues looked terrific with longer hairstyles followed by the gelled spiky look. But, how silly they looked as soon as they were FORCED to don the silly caps. I stopped wearing mine (even though my hair style resembled Hannibal Lecter) and invented a disease with the co-0peration Doc N, the AME. Richard was forced to re-design a hat, just for me. Can't win.

allatp
19th Mar 2018, 03:28
I found the ad at:
https://www.flightdeckfriend.com/job/gulf-air-a320-rated-captains-2/
And now the GF careers page shows the title: Direct Entry Rated Captains for Airbus. It used to be A320 rated captains, it changed.
Cheers!!

AA

airborneksa
19th Mar 2018, 05:18
It is nowhere close to the package being offered by neighborhood Flynas, 21/7 + Annual leave or 20/10. GF needs to work on their package if they want expats at all.

CaptainProp
19th Mar 2018, 08:43
Yea but you’re comparing KSA with BAH. I know which “package” I would take.

CP

airborneksa
19th Mar 2018, 09:31
For sure but there are many choices available since BAH is not getting any cheaper

ironbutt57
19th Mar 2018, 13:55
For sure but there are many choices available since BAH is not getting any cheaper

actually rents have been decreasing in many areas of Bahrain...

ironbutt57
19th Mar 2018, 15:16
Because utility bills are increasing drastically and people are downsizing

in villa maybe unless it's like mine and "inclusive", in a block of flats, rents have fallen significantly, utility bills are most generally covered by the building's owner

airborneksa
19th Mar 2018, 20:38
nothing like a commuting option, get to keep the family back home in a more stable environment.

ironbutt57
20th Mar 2018, 04:52
KSA seems to be the only place that offers those type of airline contracts at the moment

Smoke mountain
22nd Mar 2018, 05:50
Huge shortage on 320, Captains are flying together and first officers position only for locals .

They have started training for 78s,next batch due to start on June..

Luibar
22nd Mar 2018, 18:52
Huge shortage on 320, Captains are flying together

It means they are short of FO or both FO and Captains?

and first officers position only for locals

Are they planning to get ride of all expats Captains in the near future?

Smoke mountain
23rd Mar 2018, 14:29
It means they are short of FO or both FO and Captains?

Both as per the info i've got

Are they planning to get ride of all expats Captains in the near future?

Not really,if they really expanded as they plan,they need as much as they can get of both FOs and Captains.

Luibar
25th Mar 2018, 15:13
So, interesting times ahead...

Joker11
25th Mar 2018, 18:57
Their Boeing 787 rolled out of Seattle to day!

PanAmFalcon
27th Mar 2018, 16:03
So 787s are coming in soon,332’s are being phased out, more destination and stations would be popping up everywhere now

Smoke mountain
29th Mar 2018, 05:50
So 787s are coming in soon,332’s are being phased out, more destination and stations would be popping up everywhere now

First 787 due to be delivered on 15th April I think, at the moment 332's will remain in operation until all 787's are deliver or will be phased out gradually.

Landflap
29th Mar 2018, 10:05
Got to ask ; New aircraft, how many ? Old aircraft being phased out. New uniforms. New routes. New CEOs, new COOs.................where is GF getting the money ?

Smoke mountain
30th Mar 2018, 08:56
Got to ask ; New aircraft, how many ? Old aircraft being phased out. New uniforms. New routes. New CEOs, new COOs.................where is GF getting the money ?

The orders are very old,787's were ordered on 2009 if i am not mistaken,the plan is to take five 787's by the end of 2018, two on 2019 and three arriving by the end of 2020,as their plan is to receive thirty-nine new A/C by the end of 2023.

Where is the money coming from? Neighboring Tap is open i guess !

Smoke mountain
4th Apr 2018, 06:12
First 787 en-route from Everett due to arrive in 5 HRS.. Good Luck GF

PanAmFalcon
5th Apr 2018, 04:57
too bad that aircraft looks like like crap

Smoke mountain
5th Apr 2018, 05:42
too bad that aircraft looks like like crap

Totally agree PanAm! Needs more Gold on it !

PanAmFalcon
5th Apr 2018, 18:03
More good and the new logo resembles a startled chicken while the golden color on the engines look more yellow or mustard than gold. Reminds me of some low cost carrier in the south east that went belly up before as soon as it began.

Smoke mountain
5th Apr 2018, 20:53
Aircraft flying back to Evertt after the F1,its here only for fly over during the opening tomorrow.. the idea seem stupid in my opinion!! Hope more gold will be put on!

Showed to the crown prince today

Airmann
6th Apr 2018, 05:41
Stupid idea?

That's why you're a pilot and not part of the marketing team. It's the perfect event at which to publicize that your airline is getting new planes. Watched by millions of people all over the world.

Gordomac
6th Apr 2018, 14:26
Smokey : you ole rotter. Told us in your post of the 5th that the new aircraft would make the flyover "tomorrow" the 6th for the opener. ER, well, today is the 6th & it is just the practice session, surprisingly on a Friday. The "opener" is, er, surely, tomorrow the 7th. (Nader, do you like my persistant use of the word."er". ? Really annoying eh ? Well, went up to my Taverna, wearing my Bahrain F1 T shirt (bought for the first one), sporting my Tag Heur F1 watch (bought by myself for my leaving present & given to myself in 2009) only to be , er, openly laughed at when I explained that I was there, in the Taverna, for the new 787 , er, "opener".

Milthos (owner) told me to get a grip & come back tomorrow (7th) for the Gf "opener" performed by the beautiful Dreamliner. I will.

BTW, L U R V E the colours. Are Boeing Test pilots doing the "opener", er, tomorrow (7th) or is it Nader again ??

Luvley stuff guys. Good, positive, time for change & very exciting.

PS, can I have my leaving present of unlimited Firm, free, ID staff travel back ?

Blimey ! Just asking.

Phantom Driver
6th Apr 2018, 19:16
Gordo,

That Keo must be getting to you :)

and also , re --
PS, can I have my leaving present of unlimited Firm, free, ID staff travel back ?

dream on !

Smoke mountain
7th Apr 2018, 21:42
Smokey : you ole rotter. Told us in your post of the 5th that the new aircraft would make the flyover "tomorrow" the 6th for the opener. ER, well, today is the 6th & it is just the practice session, surprisingly on a Friday. The "opener" is, er, surely, tomorrow the 7th. (Nader, do you like my persistant use of the word."er". ? Really annoying eh ? Well, went up to my Taverna, wearing my Bahrain F1 T shirt (bought for the first one), sporting my Tag Heur F1 watch (bought by myself for my leaving present & given to myself in 2009) only to be , er, openly laughed at when I explained that I was there, in the Taverna, for the new 787 , er, "opener".

Milthos (owner) told me to get a grip & come back tomorrow (7th) for the Gf "opener" performed by the beautiful Dreamliner. I will.

BTW, L U R V E the colours. Are Boeing Test pilots doing the "opener", er, tomorrow (7th) or is it Nader again ??

Oh so sorry about that mate,i know it apologising wont change a thing but i must wrote it wrong!

I am sure it's here for the fly over but wrong about the date,one of my friends sent me a Video of the Aircraft flying over GP .. I am unable to upload the Video unfortunately.

Landflap
8th Apr 2018, 08:59
Phantom & Smokey, it's ok. He's got it. Not the Keo. Still on the Jack. Currently with him in Cyprus for a few days and we are going up to the Taverna THIS evening (8th) to watch the fly past & the race. I too like the modified logo. Best wishes for a much more interesting future guys. Oh, and of course, Hamilton will win.

slowjet
9th Apr 2018, 09:45
Tuned in, as well, to see the flypast opener rather than the race ;...........nothing ! Maybe crap TV provider. Hope the 787 lithium batteries didn't catch fire ! But, I too quite like the new logo. Safe flying chaps.

slowjet
9th Apr 2018, 09:47
Also tuned in to see the opening flypast.............nothing.........! Had to withstand all the qualifyers & race itself because I am not a race fan. Very disappointing. Hope all is ok with the new aircraft. I also like the new logo. Good job.

Luibar
9th Apr 2018, 12:49
The opening for Captains through linkedin is closed. Althoug it is still available on the website...

Smoke mountain
28th Apr 2018, 21:29
First 78 was delivered yesterday .

PanAmFalcon
28th Apr 2018, 23:07
First 78 was delivered yesterday .
wait till the maintenance team destroys the a/c like they did with the 343 and 763

parabellum
29th Apr 2018, 01:15
wait till the maintenance team destroys the a/c like they did with the 343 and 763

I flew the 763 with GF for three years and heard nothing of this, can you enlighten us further please?

Gordomac
30th Apr 2018, 09:14
Smoke : you told us the first aircraft was "en-route" on the 4th April. You now tell us it was delivered the other day. Blimey, must be the longest delivery flight in history. And I looked very silly up at the local taverna in my Bahrain F1 T-shirt telling everyone that the new 787 would flyby on the race day. Fact that it was practice day was tolerated by all who love me. Glad you guys have finally got the aircraft. Hope to see it in October if Staff Travel permit .

PanAmFalcon
30th Apr 2018, 21:59
I flew the 763 with GF for three years and heard nothing of this, can you enlighten us further please?
There were many maintenance issues with the three faulties due to poor maintenance.As a 767 person, there was an entire episode with the rusting...

Smoke mountain
1st May 2018, 21:45
Smoke : you told us the first aircraft was "en-route" on the 4th April. You now tell us it was delivered the other day. Blimey, must be the longest delivery flight in history. And I looked very silly up at the local taverna in my Bahrain F1 T-shirt telling everyone that the new 787 would flyby on the race day. Fact that it was practice day was tolerated by all who love me. Glad you guys have finally got the aircraft. Hope to see it in October if Staff Travel permit .

The aircraft was brought to Bahrain for the race,i have no interest in F1,i already have apologised for the wrong info at the time, the aircraft then was flown back to KPAE for it final checks,was delivered on friday and had it first flight today to JED , will start LHR during June i think.. Initially the aircraft will have two main destination LHR and CMN.. There is 4 more 787-9 to be delivered by the end of this year and two a320neo, they are moving guys from the 320 in batches to start their type on 78 .. they are on huge shortage of flight deck crew on 320s.

Gordomac
2nd May 2018, 09:41
Smokey : no need for apologies anyway. All a bit of banter over very pleasing developments that must have lifted morale quite a bit. Oh & that bit about no interest in F1 ; c'mon ole buddy. Try the KF HIghway on a thursday night or, indeed, just getting in & away from the pink palace for work. I always felt like I was in the centre of a F1 event......................never won !

Smoke mountain
2nd May 2018, 11:40
Smokey : no need for apologies anyway. All a bit of banter over very pleasing developments that must have lifted morale quite a bit. Oh & that bit about no interest in F1 ; c'mon ole buddy. Try the KF HIghway on a thursday night or, indeed, just getting in & away from the pink palace for work. I always felt like I was in the centre of a F1 event......................never won !

Can see them showing of their cars in Juffair!

brakedwell
2nd May 2018, 16:41
Smoke : And I looked very silly up at the local taverna in my Bahrain F1 T-shirt telling everyone that the new 787 would flyby on the race day. Fact that it was practice day was tolerated by all who love me.

Go steady with the Keo Gordon, the arsenic must be getting to you :eek:

allatp
8th May 2018, 03:10
Hi guys!!
Have you noticed that tiger1975 has not came back nor replied again?
Cheers to you all!!!

AA

PanAmFalcon
10th May 2018, 21:00
i heard that there are a couple of airbus 320s on lease?

allatp
11th May 2018, 08:22
Is there anyone else applying to GF as well?

AA

Smoke mountain
18th May 2018, 14:13
How is the application going on ? @allatp

allatp
18th May 2018, 23:01
How is the application going on ? @allatp
A few days ago I finally got a reply ( after 3 months ). I haven’t sent the required docs just jet.
AA

Smoke mountain
19th May 2018, 17:05
A few days ago I finally got a reply ( after 3 months ). I haven’t sent the required docs just jet.
AA

The recruitment is in slow motion as far as i know, they have loads of things to do, they are currently in process to hire around 60 local second officers which they already have started with,DEC captains for both 320s and 330s..

Good luck mate

Just_landed
21st May 2018, 03:58
Greetings people,
I read this whole thread after receiving a personalized "please update your application and more details will follow" mail from somebody in GF.

@Allatp, I am planning to send the docs. If you have more details on anything relating this gig, would you be kind enough to share please. I am digging meanwhile.

@Olbie, I read yours and so many other's posts relating salary and expenses. I am sorry to trouble you bud, but I need more specific breakdown of salary. Do you think you can fill me in with specs?

One more thing I noticed on their official website job page, it doesn't mention the sim check anywhere throughout application process for type rated 320 job. However it is quite impossible for me to believe that anybody can be put on job without a sim check. Somebody care to explain what am I missing here?

thanks in advance. Cheers!

allatp
22nd May 2018, 02:57
The recruitment is in slow motion as far as i know, they have loads of things to do, they are currently in process to hire around 60 local second officers which they already have started with,DEC captains for both 320s and 330s..

Good luck mate
Thanks Smoke!
AA

allatp
22nd May 2018, 03:01
@Allatp, I am planning to send the docs. If you have more details on anything relating this gig, would you be kind enough to share please. I am digging meanwhile.

Just Landed, I’m also fixing to send the docs.
Cheers.
AA

boydsj
24th May 2018, 20:06
Does their hiring process typically that that long? Three weeks ago I applied for a dispatch position (and yes, I realize this is a pilot forum) and still waiting to hear back. That is if they even get back to you if they choose to bypass.

Smoke mountain
24th Jun 2018, 05:52
Two daily flights to LHR on 787s,8 new destinations are online.. I think 2 A320neo are due for delivery this month..
Any updates about the applications?

kwaiyai
27th Jun 2018, 09:46
So if these 787's are doing the LHR runs what are the 330's doing instead?

PanAmFalcon
27th Jun 2018, 18:18
So if these 787's are doing the LHR runs what are the 330's doing instead?
The 330's are still being used. So they are short on staff while the number of aircraft increases. Insurance benefit is being slashed so the trade union is planning on filing a law suit.

Smoke mountain
28th Jun 2018, 05:49
The 330's are still being used. So they are short on staff while the number of aircraft increases. Insurance benefit is being slashed so the trade union is planning on filing a law suit.

As per the info I've got,they are planning to send pilots to LGW to do their type rating on 787's in groups, I think the next patch are going during September, They are facing huge shortage on 320's flight deck crew

about the union filing a law suit it wont go any where in this part of the world! I've read their released statement , the meeting they had with the board was pointless!

kwaiyai
28th Jun 2018, 09:04
Interesting tks. Makes sense the Shortage you mention.I spoke to an ex colleague on the
330 and He is flying the 330 and the 320 at the moment.

Landflap
28th Jun 2018, 09:13
Unmentionable down the road has an excess of pilots and is sourcing out to Emirates. Quite a few would love a two year stint back in Bahrain . Easy scenario, easy to solve, easy to impliment. Where are all the MBA's in Air Transport Management that GF sponsored ?

PanAmFalcon
29th Jun 2018, 07:05
looks like they need more wide body jets so 332's are still in use. Maybe additional;787's would be announced in the coming airshow.

CaptainProp
2nd Jul 2018, 12:12
Just read headline that they’re keeping 330s.

CP

Smoke mountain
8th Jul 2018, 16:22
despite the current expansion plans they still have problems at their planning departments, Newbes are in line waiting for chance to get on the LH seat, they have been financed by Bahrain Labour scheme,around 100 of them where i see that they can fix their shortage on the other hand facing problems with their staff on employe's benefits ,

All leaves were canceled at least on A320 fleet as far as i am told, The 787s are flying to LHR daily on both flights, they have booked slots from Boeing so they cant cancel as they don't have enough pilots to spare from any fleet,They cancelled their Cseries order, what made it worse is starting new 8 destinations without being prepared !

Landflap
9th Jul 2018, 09:25
When you continue to place numbskulls in charge, based on wasta , this is the inevitable result.Absolute joke but many people stopped laughing years ago.

ironbutt57
10th Jul 2018, 04:53
Unmentionable down the road has an excess of pilots and is sourcing out to Emirates. Quite a few would love a two year stint back in Bahrain . Easy scenario, easy to solve, easy to impliment. Where are all the MBA's in Air Transport Management that GF sponsored ?
work permits, relocating families...not as easy as just sliding over to Emirates...could be a reason...maybe the MBAs looked into that

Gordomac
10th Jul 2018, 10:45
They found it quite easy setting up "Traveler", remember ? Forced move, minimal time to re-locate , no work permit problems as I recall,& very little help from Admin,

Spirit of st. Louis
14th Jul 2018, 08:36
despite the current expansion plans they still have problems at their planning departments, Newbes are in line waiting for chance to get on the LH seat, they have been financed by Bahrain Labour scheme,around 100 of them where i see that they can fix their shortage on the other hand facing problems with their staff on employe's benefits ,

All leaves were canceled at least on A320 fleet as far as i am told, The 787s are flying to LHR daily on both flights, they have booked slots from Boeing so they cant cancel as they don't have enough pilots to spare from any fleet,They cancelled their Cseries order, what made it worse is starting new 8 destinations without being prepared !

All this is merely the tip of the iceberg... Leave cancellations have now been extended to the end of September and are rumoured to be extended to the end of the year. What management once again fail to realise is that annual leave is of vital importance to most pilots and their families. We plan our families life around this. I believe that these latest cancellations are not ad hoc and have been planned for months, if not years. It does not require a brain surgeon to realise that when you expand the fleet by 40% you will need to increase the number of pilots to fly them. They have had years to do so and haven’t. And now, the pilots pay the price yet again. Leave balances will once again increase, only to be reduced later next year in the form of forced leave at a time not suitable to the pilot (out of school holidays) and at short notice.

Previous management has been chipping away at the terms, conditions and benefits for years now... No salary increases, reduced staff travel benefits, no school fees increases, reduced medical cover, leave cancellations every year. To top it all off pilot numbers have been kept at absolute minimum, evident from 900 hours year after year. Combine that with a cost of living increase in Bahrain, especially for expats, it comes at no surprise that moral is low.

It is hard to see a way out. Hopefully the new management will manage to tackle these issues effectively and quickly.
Time will tell.

Regards
Charles

Landflap
14th Jul 2018, 09:25
Charles : Who's the new management ? Worse, any new management will find, like others before , that hands will be severely tied.Same old. Predictable outcome. It would be quite funny if it wasn't so sad.

Smoke mountain
16th Jul 2018, 05:54
As we all agree that as long as unqualified person getting a management job depending on his last name and his loyalty they will never go to their old golden time.
The company is full with corrupt and unqualified people ,and believe me when I tell you they are holding every one who is talented enough to manage this place.
I can see that some one came from the boy-cut neighboring country with high level management role, he was doing well there, ,deputy CEO who is calling all the shoots new position made so they fit him in, holds an MBA in aviation management from well known university in UK,on the other hand their new board members are very qualified people, all or most of them are respected business men in their country but they have ZERO aviation knowledge!
you can add that they have fired around six first officers and captains for various reasons.

their vacancy for DEC and DEFO have been on for years now, only few who have applied for both jobs, they don't have the ability to attract us fellow pilots.

In my little experience till today, they need to remove all cancer 'being corruption' before starting any expansion plans, the environment inside the company reminds me of GOT or the godfather , its like mob families are on war and depending on your alliance you will get better jobs.

777boyo
23rd Jul 2018, 12:05
Just heard the very sad news that my old mate John has passed away today in Brisbane. Blessed with a wicked sense of humour, a remarkable ability to party all night, and a prodigious capacity for cognac and a mysterious spirit he referred to as "CDP" which lurked menacingly at the back of his drinks cabinet, John will never be forgotten by those of us who were lucky enough to have known and partied with him.

I'd like to think that there will be one hell of a party somewhere tonight when he gets together with Macreadie!

RIP John, a toast tonight to you and all the great times we shared with you.

7B

(This also posted as a new thread on the "Where are they Now" Forum)

Smoke mountain
31st Jul 2018, 15:48
3rd 787 has arrived, will be used for CMN flights, they've opened online applications for Airbus first officer

allatp
1st Aug 2018, 16:27
3rd 787 has arrived, will be used for CMN flights, they've opened online applications for Airbus first officer
And they removed the DEC link!!! Have they hired enough DECs already???

AA

Smoke mountain
2nd Aug 2018, 05:48
And they removed the DEC link!!! Have they hired enough DECs already???

AA

There is now way on earth that they have! DEC position have been there since 2011 and very few people have applied for it!
I've been speaking with a friend last night about it, they are desperate for FO! its normal day to day operation to fly two captains on same flight deck!
New management are not getting ahead of things as the previous one did too! All of what's happening now is because of lack of planning and Wasta every where in this place.

How is your application going on AA?

allatp
2nd Aug 2018, 12:51
There is now way on earth that they have! DEC position have been there since 2011 and very few people have applied for it!
I've been speaking with a friend last night about it, they are desperate for FO! its normal day to day operation to fly two captains on same flight deck!
New management are not getting ahead of things as the previous one did too! All of what's happening now is because of lack of planning and Wasta every where in this place.

How is your application going on AA?
Thanks Smoke.
I am still waiting for the assessment invitation.
AA

Smoke mountain
2nd Aug 2018, 19:09
Thanks Smoke.
I am still waiting for the assessment invitation.
AA

Good luck mate

Smoke mountain
11th Aug 2018, 14:04
A320 NEO due to arrive on 18th .. and another A320 du to return to lessor !

Smoke mountain
29th Aug 2018, 06:59
DEC neither DEFO are unavailable now on their website.

They have posting on social media about Tamkeen's pilots, Tamkeen is funding organization supported by Gov.
They are due to receive 3 more 787's and A320neo by end of this year .

requirement is very slow

allatp
29th Aug 2018, 11:48
DEC neither DEFO are unavailable now on their website.

They have posting on social media about Tamkeen's pilots, Tamkeen is funding organization supported by Gov.
They are due to receive 3 more 787's and A320neo by end of this year .

requirement is very slow
I applied back in February. I’ve got the invitation email but no actual date for the assesment. At this point I don’t know if I’ll ever attend the assesment. Looks like they do not need DECs that bad. I have been PMs with other candidates and the same has happened to them.
Cheers.
AA

Gordomac
29th Aug 2018, 17:11
allatp ; It's a Flying Club. Not a "proper" airline. Stay with it. Get in. Fabbo people. You will do, on average, 30 years ! I did, only 17. Interview at LHR was for B767 DEC. I was phoned, same evening by CP 767 stating I was accepted. Next evening, he stated that DEC for 767 was no longer sanctioned." Sorrry. Welcome to GF", he said, Burt, I was offered DEC 737, burt only on one year contract. Why not join us, anyway for B767 RHS ? "OK" said desperado. " , because, as explained, this would be a "three" year contract. Better than "one", eh ? ". "How soon do you want me?", said desperado, "Tomorrow would really help" said, equally desperate CP. I joined, larfed an awful lot, flew with the most talented bunch I have ever known, got my Command back within 6 months. Despite being kicked in the ollies 17 years later, I still tear up at the fabbo memories. Allatp, stay with it. You will never look back..........well, maybe, except in anger ! L A R F ! Oh, I keep saying "Burt" because that was all the UK Northern birds used to say. Burt, that's another story ! Poolside, Gulf Hotel ? Thought I was at the Manchester Excelsior Hotel !

Smoke mountain
30th Aug 2018, 05:39
I applied back in February. I’ve got the invitation email but no actual date for the assesment. At this point I don’t know if I’ll ever attend the assesment. Looks like they do not need DECs that bad. I have been PMs with other candidates and the same has happened to them.
Cheers.
AA

What I know that they are desperate for F/Os at the moment, Allatp , believe me when I tell you wait for it it will come, Bahrain as I remember it very nice place to live in and GF is better than any other airline in the region as you can tell from this threads.

boydsj
30th Aug 2018, 07:02
I know it's not pilot related, but any words or thoughts about dispatcher for GF?

allatp
31st Aug 2018, 01:59
What I know that they are desperate for F/Os at the moment, Allatp , believe me when I tell you wait for it it will come, Bahrain as I remember it very nice place to live in and GF is better than any other airline in the region as you can tell from this threads.
Thanks mate!

AA

allatp
1st Sep 2018, 04:06
allatp ; It's a Flying Club. Not a "proper" airline. Stay with it. Get in. Fabbo people. You will do, on average, 30 years ! I did, only 17. Interview at LHR was for B767 DEC. I was phoned, same evening by CP 767 stating I was accepted. Next evening, he stated that DEC for 767 was no longer sanctioned." Sorrry. Welcome to GF", he said, Burt, I was offered DEC 737, burt only on one year contract. Why not join us, anyway for B767 RHS ? "OK" said desperado. " , because, as explained, this would be a "three" year contract. Better than "one", eh ? ". "How soon do you want me?", said desperado, "Tomorrow would really help" said, equally desperate CP. I joined, larfed an awful lot, flew with the most talented bunch I have ever known, got my Command back within 6 months. Despite being kicked in the ollies 17 years later, I still tear up at the fabbo memories. Allatp, stay with it. You will never look back..........well, maybe, except in anger ! L A R F ! Oh, I keep saying "Burt" because that was all the UK Northern birds used to say. Burt, that's another story ! Poolside, Gulf Hotel ? Thought I was at the Manchester Excelsior Hotel !
Thanks also mate!!

AA

Smoke mountain
8th Sep 2018, 05:43
New Joiner as Chief Commercial Officer VC as per their statement

tiger1975
16th Sep 2018, 20:40
Still the worst employer in the Gulf region by faaaaarr!!!!! stay away by all means, leaves are cancelled until 2019, pay is less by 30 percent from rival airlines
and school allowances have been the same since 2012!!!
stay away, if you respect yourself as a pilot!!!!!!!

greg47
1st Oct 2018, 07:52
Gordo good to see you havnt lost your sense of humour. I was 1988 to 98 from the Antipides. It was a steep learning curve, but all in all they were the best company, I ever worked for and theres been a few . Not the money though. Just offended my last company im 71 so that could be it. My intolerance of stupidity hasn't improved. Do you keep in touch with any of the Arab boyos . Yaquoob Aliskari, Ismael Abdulla,Isa Abdullah, Suhail Ismael. Muhamad Al Mejeiny, Ali Alufy .I pulled an Aussie clanger being introduced to Yaquoobs wife, I shook her hand, at least I didn't try to kiss it. I realised straight away id done something wrong, he put his head in his hands . He was training me to be a Tristar captain. The sort of person most of those guys were they recognised an Aussie Yid was beyond manners and it was never discussed. He seemed to like me. I certainly did and had great respect for him.
I take it your in Cyprus. Had a great holiday there. Spent the most time in Pathos. Anyone ex GF, I may know also living there. GH living in UK, I speak to at times. I new poor Rad had passed away after being in a terrible state after a serious stroke. Your safe, multiple divorces there's nothing left for travel. Although much as I dislike travel, I have always yearned for Argentina . I knew a retired is it Aero lianas? cap and he described to me barbecuing the best steak you've ever had while your nectar is chilling in the icy stream as you bask in the barmy sunlight

Gordomac
3rd Oct 2018, 08:54
Hi Greg. Not so much of a GF update but more of one for "Where Are They Now" so I won't bore others. I will PM you later today. Great memory jog though. You did a decade. I did nearly two & others three ! Some even retired to Bahrain . Glad you are Ok & managing a larf. Good Time to hang up the flying boots, poor yourself a cheeky one & surf through some of the old pics.

Smoke mountain
19th Oct 2018, 13:14
@allatp any updates about your application mate?

allatp
20th Oct 2018, 06:25
@allatp any updates about your application mate?
Hi Smoke. No absolutely nothing!! Even the GF web page hasn’t had DEC vacants for the past 3 months. Do you know what’s going on?

AA

Smoke mountain
20th Oct 2018, 07:26
Hi Smoke. No absolutely nothing!! Even the GF web page hasn’t had DEC vacants for the past 3 months. Do you know what’s going on?

AA

They have huge shortage on F/Os ,they have been doing assessments to local pilots, around 100 newbes waiting their turn to be hired! you can imagine how childish they are! they lack planning to be honest, what i know for sure that they are not renewing contracts for expats, so that may be the reason.
Better to try with QR ..
and if you have a job at home , stick with it

Cheers mate

allatp
20th Oct 2018, 15:36
They have huge shortage on F/Os ,they have been doing assessments to local pilots, around 100 newbes waiting their turn to be hired! you can imagine how childish they are! they lack planning to be honest, what i know for sure that they are not renewing contracts for expats, so that may be the reason.
Better to try with QR ..

Cheers mate
Smoke, thanks for the heads up!!

AA

AeroForce
22nd Oct 2018, 05:39
Better to try with QR ..

Cheers mate
Please elaborate on what you seem to know for sure regarding not renewing contracts for expats. As currently they need all hands on deck, they're already short, all annual leaves A320 fleet are cancelled possibly until the end of the year and to top it off a big fleet expansion coming.

Replacing the expats for sure is a long term goal, but I can't see it happening in the near future unless they reduce the fleet.

allatp
22nd Oct 2018, 22:32
Better to try with QR ..

Cheers mate
Mountain, a friend of mine, who is a captain there, tells me that they are renewing contracts for expats without problem.
Their only concern is the annual leave situation.
Cheers.

AA

Smoke mountain
23rd Oct 2018, 05:44
Mountain, a friend of mine, who is a captain there, tells me that they are renewing contracts for expats without problem.
Their only concern is the annual leave situation.
Cheers.

AA

Ok mate, then that wa**er who is feeding me updates is useless, Cheers mate..

PanAmFalcon
23rd Oct 2018, 19:37
gf is again majorly short on pilots. Turnaround has been high and new aircraft coming in. Many 330 captains got upgraded to 787s so there is an imbalance right now.

AeroForce
23rd Oct 2018, 20:35
Ok mate, then that wa**er who is feeding me updates is useless, Cheers mate..
Here a more valuable update... but bear in mind plans change, especially in aviation!

Positive:

Fleet expansion (as by management) until 2023: all A330 and all A320 and A321 staying, total 28 airplanes. Adding 10x 787-900 (6 further options) by end of 2020: 3 delivered, 2 more by end 2018. 2 in 2019 and 3 in 2020. Further 12 A320Neo (2 this year) and 17 A321Neo over the next 5 years until end 2023. Total by 2023: 67 airframes. (Rumours of 330Neo or A350 being swapped for remaining 787 orders)
Decent salary, although it could do with an update considering the rising costs and inflation. Locals, have been leaving in recent years but most stick around. Expats don't stick around for the salary, but for the lifestyle and life in Bahrain.
Fleet transfers are on going, long term career perspective looks good at the moment.

Downside (room for improvement 😉):

Gulf Air is never fully crewed, almost no standby cover, resolved with volunteers working days off and leave cancellations, unstable rosters with many changes as a result. Leave cancellations are the rule, not the exception especially during peak periods, therefore you can never plan a holiday with family.
Work is to the max of FDP with absolute minimum days off as required by law 8 days off in 28 days on a rolling average. Schedules often not taking circadian rhythms into consideration, jumping between morning, night, day and evening flights. 3 long night turnaround flights followed by a next morning early morning start is not uncommon! As long as it is legal on paper. Expect no common sense, if it's legal you're expected to be able to do it and be well rested to operate to the maximum of the allowable FDP.
You're a number in the scheduling game, there is hardly appreciation for Human Factors Performance and Limitations (Fatigue Risk Management System FRMS is not implemented, yet), as mentioned if it is legal on paper you're expected to be able to do it. Schedules are often extremely tough on A320 with lots of night flights and or 4 sector days.
Massive expansion planned, more than doubling the fleet size in 5 years, without a proper recruitment drive. DEC stopped/not advertised for time being, focus on internal upgrade, DEFO (returning Bahraini) and Bahraini semi sponsored cadets through Tamkeen. However falling far short in training capacity at the moment.
Command Upgrades are stalled due extreme shortage of First Officers, most are maxed out on hours and don't be surprised to see 2 and 3 Captains operating together.
Contract is not respected by the company, leaves are cancelled at will and details like place of recruitment have been changed on renewal for expat pilots, be careful.
Being sick is penalised by the company with planned/assigned days off being removed as per a pro-ration schedule.

If looking for a stable lifestyle and being able to plan and have quality time at home and with family on holidays, then Gulf Air is not the place to be and it doesn't look promising that it will change any time soon due to the shortages and expansion plans. Bahrain is a lovely place to live and Gulf Air potentialy an amazing company to work for, once they fill the seats, as the colleagues are great and the atmosphere good.

Happy landings,
Force

allatp
24th Oct 2018, 02:34
Here a more valuable update... but bear in mind plans change, especially in aviation!

Positive:

Fleet expansion (as by management) until 2023: all A330 and all A320 and A321 staying, total 28 airplanes. Adding 10x 787-900 (6 further options) by end of 2020: 3 delivered, 2 more by end 2018. 2 in 2019 and 3 in 2020. Further 12 A320Neo (2 this year) and 17 A321Neo over the next 5 years until end 2023. Total by 2023: 67 airframes. (Rumours of 330Neo or A350 being swapped for remaining 787 orders)
Decent salary, although it could do with an update considering the rising costs and inflation. Locals, have been leaving in recent years but most stick around. Expats don't stick around for the salary, but for the lifestyle and life in Bahrain.
Fleet transfers are on going, long term career perspective looks good at the moment.

Downside (room for improvement 😉):

Gulf Air is never fully crewed, almost no standby cover, resolved with volunteers working days off and leave cancellations, unstable rosters with many changes as a result. Leave cancellations are the rule, not the exception especially during peak periods, therefore you can never plan a holiday with family.
Work is to the max of FDP with absolute minimum days off as required by law 8 days off in 28 days on a rolling average. Schedules often not taking circadian rhythms into consideration, jumping between morning, night, day and evening flights. 3 long night turnaround flights followed by a next morning early morning start is not uncommon! As long as it is legal on paper. Expect no common sense, if it's legal you're expected to be able to do it and be well rested to operate to the maximum of the allowable FDP.
You're a number in the scheduling game, there is hardly appreciation for Human Factors Performance and Limitations (Fatigue Risk Management System FRMS is not implemented, yet), as mentioned if it is legal on paper you're expected to be able to do it. Schedules are often extremely tough on A320 with lots of night flights and or 4 sector days.
Massive expansion planned, more than doubling the fleet size in 5 years, without a proper recruitment drive. DEC stopped/not advertised for time being, focus on internal upgrade, DEFO (returning Bahraini) and Bahraini semi sponsored cadets through Tamkeen. However falling far short in training capacity at the moment.
Command Upgrades are stalled due extreme shortage of First Officers, most are maxed out on hours and don't be surprised to see 2 and 3 Captains operating together.
Contract is not respected by the company, leaves are cancelled at will and details like place of recruitment have been changed on renewal for expat pilots, be careful.
Being sick is penalised by the company with planned/assigned days off being removed as per a pro-ration schedule.

If looking for a stable lifestyle and being able to plan and have quality time at home and with family on holidays, then Gulf Air is not the place to be and it doesn't look promising that it will change any time soon due to the shortages and expansion plans. Bahrain is a lovely place to live and Gulf Air potentialy an amazing company to work for, once they fill the seats, as the colleagues are great and the atmosphere good.

Happy landings,
Force
Aero, nice info, many thanks.

AA

kwaiyai
24th Oct 2018, 09:22
Nice post Aeroforce,
The not respecting the contract was the reason why I left in 2016 and most of
what you say was going on back then when I was there. Especially the leave cancellations and crew roster.
One example I did a flight one night and was told by the CM that one of the Cabin crew who was due to go back
for leave had arranged a big gathering and paid for Hotel etc and they cancel this person's Leave with 24 Hr notice.
Luckily we had 5 on that night so This person could sit quietly at the back.
When I joined they wanted me to start yesterday due to 20 odd Captains leaving
pretty much at once apparently for that as well.

I agree if you like living in bahrain etc as you say I guess you can make it work if not or
like my case think hard.

My 10 Pence worth that's all,

Regard's.

thegypsy
24th Oct 2018, 09:53
Sounds like a sh**e deal that even Gordo with his rose tinted spectacles on would not enjoy?:confused:

PS Expecting slowjet to jump in

Gordomac
25th Oct 2018, 10:11
Nah, fight my own battles and even Slow, plus a few others, are used to your constant prodding Gypo and are unlikely to jump into pure envy based vitreol. On thread though, horses for courses. Loved every second of GF for 17 years.I certainly would still enjoy the deal because I finally got used to the GF Flying Club . Even the final battle with NS was a lesson in itself and although my kick in the ollies was brutal, it was time to go. Now, time to go into my Lidle's inflateable, J&C in hand, at least three lengths of my lovely pool. Sorry Gypo, eat your troubled little heart out.

Landflap
26th Oct 2018, 14:54
Gordo, keep looking through rose. Much better than Gypsey looing at you through his green tinted raybans !

Smoke mountain
1st Nov 2018, 05:34
Gulf Air termnaited contracts of 170 employees, the offical statment that most of them are expats and the tremnaiton is due to cut losses

ChicoG
1st Nov 2018, 06:53
Gulf Air termnaited contracts of 170 employees, the offical statment that most of them are expats and the tremnaiton is due to cut losses

I'm not a subscriber so can't read the whole story, but the local rag says:"LABOUR officials will hold an urgent meeting today to discuss the dismissal of dozens of employees from Bahrain’s national carrier Gulf Air. Contracts of Bahraini and expatriate employees were terminated yesterday as part of restructuring plans."

There is at least one Gulf Air trade union I believe.
But on the bright side.

"In November Gulf Air will start operating its latest fleet of Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner on the Bahrain-Bangkok route."

(I'm only SLF, but stopped flying GF years ago because of the age of the planes and quality of service. After the Qatar kerfuffle, I tried them again to BKK and was pleasantly surprised to find clean, new cabins; decent, helpful staff; and reasonable F&B options. The IFE is still s**t though!).

AFAIK Gulf Air has been losing money for years, but it is such a massive employer on the island (directly and indirectly) that its loss would be a hammer blow for the local economy.

slowjet
1st Nov 2018, 09:56
170 "employees" ; any pilots amongst that group ? This is a pilot's forum, that's why I ask. We constantly read of a pilot shortage so I doubt any pilots would be laid off. GF however ? Never, really, got the numbers game right, ever. Furthermore, who is an "expat" ? Local Arab brothers from the region were often regarded as expat to the Bahrain community but "local" when it suited GF,

thegypsy
1st Nov 2018, 12:41
Landflap I love my green tinted Raybans. No distortion unlike those Rose tinted ones:{

As for " envy based vitriol " Not sure how that can be?? Just like taking the mickey out of Gordo from time to time as I can rely on certain people getting all excited. I left GF with scores of others and joined SQ as a DEC spending half the time in the bunk, staying in nice hotels in town miles from airports unlike GF. No hot beds waiting for outgoing crew's rooms to be serviced. Would I swop Singapore for Bahrain?? No way. Better money in SQ The list is endless..

Kindly explain the envy.

PS For the record I will stop taking the p*** and getting fourbars and others up in arms as bad for their health clearly.

ironbutt57
5th Nov 2018, 00:10
Landflap I love my green tinted Raybans. No distortion unlike those Rose tinted ones:{

As for " envy based vitriol " Not sure how that can be?? Just like taking the mickey out of Gordo from time to time as I can rely on certain people getting all excited. I left GF with scores of others and joined SQ as a DEC spending half the time in the bunk, staying in nice hotels in town miles from airports unlike GF. No hot beds waiting for outgoing crew's rooms to be serviced. Would I swop Singapore for Bahrain?? No way. Better money in SQ The list is endless..

Kindly explain the envy.

PS For the record I will stop taking the p*** and getting fourbars and others up in arms as bad for their health clearly.

and still at SQ?, or wound up at Qatar like most of the rest?....

Gordomac
5th Nov 2018, 09:14
Slowjet asks a good question of Smokey ; how many of the rumoured 170 lay-offs were pilots? None, I suspect. Still a discomfort to those who are now looking for work. Gypsey states he left GF along with "scores" of pilots. A "score" is 20. "Scores" would be at least two score, let's say 40. In my 17 years with GF, I never saw at least 40 leave along with "thegypsy". GF hotels were fabbo. The Hyatt in Muscat was a treat and no where near the airport. Doha Hotel was a bit close but there wasn't much choice. Excelsior at LHR was very close but everyone else stayed there, including the mighty CX and any accommodation within 60 miles of LHR is a bit close to the airport. Looks like you rested in your SQ bunk a bit too much Gypo .

squarecrow
5th Nov 2018, 10:17
https://vaaju.com/ksaeng/gulf-airs-board-returns-170-bahrain-employees-one-day-after-they-have-been-dismissed/

thegypsy
5th Nov 2018, 13:37
Gordomac

Oh dear. Now you are showing your ignorance of the English Language. Scores in the context of my sentence means a lot. Like Scores of people were hurt in the rush. That does not literally means multiples of 20 dear boy. Perhaps English is not your first language in which case I apologise.:confused:

IB Now retired like you perhaps in Redneck County?

Smoke mountain
6th Nov 2018, 04:39
Slowjet asks a good question of Smokey ; how many of the rumoured 170 lay-offs were pilots? None, I suspect. Still a discomfort to those who are now looking for work. Gypsey states he left GF along with "scores" of pilots. A "score" is 20. "Scores" would be at least two score, let's say 40. In my 17 years with GF, I never saw at least 40 leave along with "thegypsy". GF hotels were fabbo. The Hyatt in Muscat was a treat and no where near the airport. Doha Hotel was a bit close but there wasn't much choice. Excelsior at LHR was very close but everyone else stayed there, including the mighty CX and any accommodation within 60 miles of LHR is a bit close to the airport. Looks like you rested in your SQ bunk a bit too much Gypo .

@Gordomac , as far as i know there were no pilots in bunch, however i think if it's a terrifying sign when an airline lay-off this much staff! I think we all agree that one of many thing we are looking for as pilots is job stability!

Cheers mate ..

slowjet
6th Nov 2018, 09:37
Smoke mountain : I note the reply to my question through Gordomac's . Agreed, unfortunate for those losing their jobs. To be honest, GF, like many other companies, carries too many support staff.Painfull measures but almost certainly required in the slimming down process in order to achieve better results.

Ironbutts : see what we mean? This Guy just doesn't have any class and swings away with his handbag even when told to sit down.Can't bring up NCO's to Officer standard. Mods will probably start deleting his knee-jerks but until then, your own the ignore button works quite well.

Phantom Driver
6th Nov 2018, 19:54
I left GF with scores of others and joined SQ as a DEC spending half the time in the bunk, staying in nice hotels in town miles from airports unlike GF. No hot beds waiting for outgoing crew's rooms to be serviced. Would I swop Singapore for Bahrain?? No way. Better money in SQ The list is endless..

Got to agree with Gypsy here . SOP in those days ( apparently ) was to have the crew hotel located downtown and within walking/crawling distance from the nearest casino . Not sure if this policy still in force . It's been a while......
Flight deck deadheading policy was also something else ; unlike ME airlines , both Captain AND F/O were usually in F . The protocol in those days , once on board , was to change out of uniform and get stuck into the Dom Perignon ( or Krug if you so preferred ) . Singapore Girl's brief was -" no glass shall remain empty " . Good old days !

allatp
10th Nov 2018, 11:21
I’ve heard that GF is doing assessments in Orlando FL. Does anyone know anything about it please?
Cheers!!

AA

Smoke mountain
10th Nov 2018, 11:51
I’ve heard that GF is doing assessments in Orlando FL. Does anyone know anything about it please?
Cheers!!

AA

Finally, its about time!! Will ask my mates and let you know .. Good luck AA

tiger1975
11th Nov 2018, 11:23
Still one of the worst employers in the Gulf area....I really don't see any valid reason as to why a qualified pilot would wanna apply in GF.
Leaves cancelled with 24 hour notice, 4 sectors per day, 90 plus hours a month, outdated pay regarding accommodation (700BHD) not enough to rent anything
descent, extremely poor school allowances, probably the worst of all the Arab employers, I can go on and on and on....
GF is what we call.....a used to be airline back in the 80's and 90's......its days are well over since many years ago....
one would have to be crazy to apply there, they also have been known to fire and terminate pilots contracts overnight...this happened to friends of mine in 2014 where a lot of expats who joined the airline just 6 months ago were terminated and sent home!!
come on lets be realistic here....there are much better options out there.....with better pay, better allowances, commuting roster, and leaves that will not be cancelled 24 hours before you go to the airport to go on vacation with your family.....

airborneksa
12th Nov 2018, 05:12
Still one of the worst employers in the Gulf area....I really don't see any valid reason as to why a qualified pilot would wanna apply in GF.
Leaves canceled with 24 hour notice, 4 sectors per day, 90 plus hours a month, outdated pay regarding accommodation (700BHD) not enough to rent anything
descent, extremely poor school allowances, probably the worst of all the Arab employers, I can go on and on and on....
GF is what we call.....a used to be airline back in the 80's and 90's......its days are well over since many years ago....
one would have to be crazy to apply there, they also have been known to fire and terminate pilots contracts overnight...this happened to friends of mine in 2014 where a lot of expats who joined the airline just 6 months ago were terminated and sent home!!
come on let's be realistic here....there are much better options out there.....with better pay, better allowances, commuting roster, and leaves that will not be canceled 24 hours before you go to the airport to go on vacation with your family.....

Absolutely spot on. They desperately need a blood transfusion and remove all middle management managers that have been in their job roles since Dinosaur era.

Landflap
13th Nov 2018, 10:09
airborneska, you are absolutely spot on too. What you advise will never happen though. The wasta system well in control. Too many sticky fingers in too many tills as well.. It is not just the middle managers who should go but the seniors too. They appoint (albeit through nepotism) the middle guys. Gulfair reaping what they sow. No amount of re-saying all this will ever change a Flying Club mentality and a quick profit for the "jobs for the boys" network. But as our friend Gordomac has often said, they are still "bloody nishe blokes" !

ironbutt57
13th Nov 2018, 13:36
its the gold fish syndrome, keep it in a small bowl, it will remain small, put it in a bigger bowl, it will grow, GF has always suffered from small bowl (island) syndrome, and while making grandiose plans, haven't the balance in the checkbook to fulfill those...at one point after the departure of Oman, 900 million dinars was pumped into GF over a short period of time, only to "disappear" with no apparent effect on the airline...sad really, the military CEO they had for a while was anti-expat,(wanted a pilot meeting held, but no expats, "they are nothing to us contract labor"), had all those recent hires made redundant when the EMB was canned(EMB, product of another profiteering CEO who occupied the office on the 3rd floor..and rude to boot) despite protests of the crew planning manager they were needed for the upcoming summer schedule increase.... so the saga continues..the middle managers find it hard to remain on track, as the shifting sands are constantly moving the rails around...they were always good to me, and most of the folks I knew there, I can understand the bitterness of some who arrived, only to be cut 6 months later, or the ones who were cut after resigning from their jobs, only to be told not to come

donpizmeov
15th Nov 2018, 02:30
Have just read an MOU with EY has been signed. Hoping this is somehow good for both pilot groups .

allatp
9th Jan 2019, 01:50
Again GF is posting DEC positions, and I have not heard from them.
What is up with that?

ironbutt57
9th Jan 2019, 03:17
Again GF is posting DEC positions, and I have not heard from them.
What is up with that?

ought to clue you in on just how organized the puzzle palace ( headquarter) is...that place is more confused than fathers day in the ghetto

ironbutt57
9th Jan 2019, 03:22
Have just read an MOU with EY has been signed. Hoping this is somehow good for both pilot groups .

Espaghettihad pilots dumpster-diving for jobs (as one of them put it) at GF??...my my my how times have changed.....

Smoke mountain
10th Jan 2019, 05:39
at the moment it's for training facilities , i think they will be sending 78 lads to do their sim in AUH,
it's normal, most unorganized unplanned airline i have ever seen in my life !

@allatp It's normal mate, they think you will be available as soon as they get back to you, like there is no other jobs than GF!

allatp
11th Jan 2019, 01:33
at the moment it's for training facilities , i think they will be sending 78 lads to do their sim in AUH,
it's normal, most unorganized unplanned airline i have ever seen in my life !

@allatp It's normal mate, they think you will be available as soon as they get back to you, like there is no other jobs than GF!

Good luck to them!!!!

Landflap
11th Jan 2019, 09:28
I thought UAE and Bahrain were not pals anymore (?). Indeed, I was told that in Bahrain, it was an offence to imply anything nice about Bahrain's neighbours (?). Cripes, and Donnie having huge troubles building his wall. Live & let live, although, sometimes in secret eh ?

ironbutt57
11th Jan 2019, 12:47
I thought UAE and Bahrain were not pals anymore (?). Indeed, I was told that in Bahrain, it was an offence to imply anything nice about Bahrain's neighbours (?). Cripes, and Donnie having huge troubles building his wall. Live & let live, although, sometimes in secret eh ?

its Qatar, not the UAE....

PanAmFalcon
5th Feb 2019, 18:16
gulf air went to recruit in the UK. Im not sure anyone in their right mind would join with the current crappy package they offer

bumpy737
5th Feb 2019, 19:30
Well they got some of these 50 fired pilots from EY from what I heard.

PanAmFalcon
6th Feb 2019, 23:23
I guess 320 pilots?

zumzum
10th Feb 2019, 22:36
Hi,

can anyone clarify what is the salary and benefits package for Gulf Air (A320 DEC)? can't find it anywhere...

thank you

a3twenty
22nd Feb 2019, 01:38
Hi,

can anyone clarify what is the salary and benefits package for Gulf Air (A320 DEC)? can't find it anywhere...

thank you
Looking for the same. Anyone? Please feel free to PM All inputs are appreciated.

PanAmFalcon
23rd Feb 2019, 21:29
most of the 330s are parked it seems.

Smoke mountain
24th Feb 2019, 05:06
With 6 78s on roster and the huge pilots shortage they have , there is no clear picture about the 330s future !!
They need to top up their packages to attract pilots, new seasonal destinations SLL and AGP, not sure how they will cope with that!

Luibar
24th Feb 2019, 16:44
Well, I personally know two pilots who applied to Gulf Air more than 1 year ago as DEC A320. One received an email saying he was shortlisted. Than silence. It was 4 months ago. The other one, that is also TRI/TRE on the A320, never heard a word from them. Strange way to attract qualified pilots... :E

Mr Angry from Purley
26th Feb 2019, 16:15
GF cancelled 8 flights today and looks like another 8 tomorrow. Any ideas?

PanAmFalcon
26th Feb 2019, 18:25
GF cancelled 8 flights today and looks like another 8 tomorrow. Any ideas?
light load perhaps?

ironbutt57
27th Feb 2019, 06:17
light load perhaps?

yah light load in the flight deck....GF's problem is they don't seem to have a properly professionally manned recruiting dept, more like a bunch of local secretaries who spend the day in the office on their phones...if they even bother to show up, they don't market the airlines to prospects...GF may not have the biggest planes or the most routes, but there are other attributes that make GF very attractive, Bahrain lifestyle vs the other two places is a BIG one..they that need to be marketed to prospects...the office just doesn't have a clue, sad really

BLSA
27th Feb 2019, 09:51
Flight cancelled due to pilot shortage;) (http://tradearabia.com/touch/article/TTN/351564)

thegypsy
27th Feb 2019, 12:58
Ib57

Perhaps GF should bring back Gordomac out of retirement as their Ambassador to spread the word of the virtues of Bahrain and GF. He could bring his sidekick slowjet to carry his bags perhaps to make him feel useful:eek:

kwaiyai
27th Feb 2019, 14:50
So no more leave can be cancelled then to help that:}

Mr Angry from Purley
27th Feb 2019, 15:44
GF must be happy with the Pakistan airspace closure then!

allatp
27th Feb 2019, 18:35
Flight cancelled due to pilot shortage;) (http://tradearabia.com/touch/article/TTN/351564)

And they didn’t even bothered to arrange my assessment (together with some others candidates). Awful planning!!!!

AA

PanAmFalcon
4th Mar 2019, 03:48
lol glad their incompetence came back to bite them in the back

Smoke mountain
7th Mar 2019, 05:49
787 captains available on their website now! Have any body whom applied got any reply from them?

Luibar
7th Mar 2019, 19:16
It seems they just wake up. Adverts everywhere for DEC A320 and B787. Strange why they just don't call the pilots who applied and never got a feedback. Interesting times ahead... :}

Smoke mountain
8th Mar 2019, 14:30
It seems they just wake up. Adverts everywhere for DEC A320 and B787. Strange why they just don't call the pilots who applied and never got a feedback. Interesting times ahead... :}

What to expect from a flying club?!! ironbutt57 explains it all !! They need to replace their recruitment team so at least they get out of this deep sh**** .

Landflap
9th Mar 2019, 09:21
Of course they will replace the recruitment team. But they will be selected on the basis of who they know rather than what they know. The wasta system, jobs for the boys, nice little jollies , money for lining pockets, total corruption. Tackle that little lot & you might start to get somewhere. Of course, "that little lot" will never be addressed and the merrygoround wil just roll on & on.

Smoke mountain
9th Mar 2019, 16:07
Of course they will replace the recruitment team. But they will be selected on the basis of who they know rather than what they know. The wasta system, jobs for the boys, nice little jollies , money for lining pockets, total corruption. Tackle that little lot & you might start to get somewhere. Of course, "that little lot" will never be addressed and the merrygoround wil just roll on & on.
Thats the biggest problem in the sand pit,the big vitamin W!!

Smoke mountain
10th Mar 2019, 06:29
with in few days DEC 787 are no longer available, applications must be piling and the super recruitment team have their hands full now!
however, there is an opening for TRI now.. are they planning or what?

AeroForce
10th Mar 2019, 17:24
with in few days DEC 787 are no longer available, applications must be piling and the super recruitment team have their hands full now!
however, there is an opening for TRI now.. are they planning or what?

Anyone here considered that DEC 787 might cause a bit of a riot? I think Fleet Office is having their hands full with complaints and objections. Pilots have been waiting for years maybe decades for the opportunity to go to the widebody fleet....

BLSA
11th Mar 2019, 13:28
Anyone here considered that DEC 787 might cause a bit of a riot? I think Fleet Office is having their hands full with complaints and objections. Pilots have been waiting for years maybe decades for the opportunity to go to the widebody fleet....
:=No 787 DECs as per lates email from DFO, probably after establishment of GulfAir Pilot Trade Union:D

AeroForce
11th Mar 2019, 20:11
:=No 787 DECs as per lates email from DFO, probably after establishment of GulfAir Pilot Trade Union:D
Gulf Air Pilot Trade Union?! Now that is good news! A first in the GCC or Middle East even?
Well done to the brave pilots that have established this, could be the start of a movement.

LNAV VNAV -
12th Mar 2019, 03:20
Started work with Gulf Air in late 2011 during a massive recruitment drive. Almost got made redundant in 2012 during a massive expat redundancy rage. Had my leave cancelled in mid 2013 due to pilot shortage.

Luibar
12th Mar 2019, 10:27
It makes me wonder why GF continuously advertise DEC positions for the last couple of years. Is there a massive resignation of pilots or the failure rate at the assessment is high?

Luibar
12th Mar 2019, 10:33
Gulf Air Pilot Trade Union, hopefully it will not lead to another massive expat pilot redundancy.

ironbutt57
15th Mar 2019, 03:52
a bright and shining example of the lack of professionalism in the recruitment department is in print in the latest Flight International...they have to get it together, if they cant even get the advert right..

Smoke mountain
17th Mar 2019, 18:39
Can you tell us more about it ? ironbutt57

ironbutt57
18th Mar 2019, 03:14
Can you tell us more about it ? ironbutt57

just read the advert in the latest FI

Smoke mountain
18th Mar 2019, 05:37
just read the advert in the latest FI
Wilco Sir.

Cak
18th Mar 2019, 08:55
With CEO they have, I would be veeeery suprised to hear anything positive

Mr Angry from Purley
18th Mar 2019, 18:34
Is it true the 900 block hour limit of BCAA ANTR has gone up to 1000 ala EASA FTL??

BLSA
19th Mar 2019, 18:36
Is it true the 900 block hour limit of BCAA ANTR has gone up to 1000 ala EASA FTL??
950hrs extension by BCAA till 31oct19, but looks like it is a transition to 1000hr rule for next year.

squarecrow
20th Mar 2019, 13:22
BA are adding Dammam via the daily BA LHR-BAH-LHR flight.

British Airways - DIRECT TO DAMMAM AS BRITISH AIRWAYS LAUNCHES THIRD ROUTE TO SAUDI ARABIA (http://mediacentre.britishairways.com/pressrelease/details/86/2019-319/10849)

ironbutt57
21st Mar 2019, 04:09
Gulf Air Pilot Trade Union?! Now that is good news! A first in the GCC or Middle East even?
Well done to the brave pilots that have established this, could be the start of a movement.

trade unions are popular in Bahrain and nothing new, I was a member of the General Gulf Air Trade Union as far back as 2003

Smoke mountain
7th Apr 2019, 05:41
That 950 HRS extension is due to expire on June, heard some gossip from local guys about a plan to merge GF with BAS,BAC,and Bahrain Duty free to break even the losses!

Recruitment is going slow with little or no applications!

PanAmFalcon
7th Apr 2019, 06:00
That 950 HRS extension is due to expire on June, heard some gossip from local guys about a plan to merge GF with BAS,BAC,and Bahrain Duty free to break even the losses!

Recruitment is going slow with little or no applications!
believe it or not they sent people to Florida and Mexico to recruit but they did not do the proper paperwork, forgot to advertise and skipped out on some procedures so they had to finish it half way.
also, flights to IAH hinted
https://www.rigzone.com/news/bahrain_seeks_us_partners_for_offshore_shale_discovery-05-apr-2019-158530-article/?utm_source=GLOBAL_ENG&utm_medium=SM_FB&utm_campaign=FANS&fbclid=IwAR2g84oaygYYI6PzGs87pbg662ovWLVn6UXGPm8tl4FC1d-onSX6fDDZ80A

Landflap
7th Apr 2019, 09:32
And of course we all know who "hand-picked" themselves for the nice little jolly. Of course it would be inept and unsuccessful. Does GF stand for Gulf Farce ? Laughable but tinged with a little sadness as it could have been so good.

PanAmFalcon
10th Apr 2019, 05:29
they have a good chance in the US market with QR not having access to the saudi market and EY breaking apart. Coupled with the expansion in the SE asia, they have a good oppertunity

Smoke mountain
10th Apr 2019, 05:39
they have a good chance in the US market with QR not having access to the saudi market and EY breaking apart. Coupled with the expansion in the SE asia, they have a good oppertunity
Only if they got their Sh*** together, the way they are going is catastrophic !
Pilot Shortage, useless recruitment trips, packages that are not attracting anyone to apply!
in my opinion they brought it to them self when they moved 320 CAP and FO to 78!!

BLSA
10th Apr 2019, 09:45
There is a good chance for GF, but the problem is that they can not even fulfill their current plan for new destinations planned this year, due shortage. The worst thing, people up do not realize this, or not want to realize

mutt
10th Apr 2019, 16:33
Flew out of BAH a few days ago, there is an aircraft parked on some reclaimed land to the east of the airport, is this a restaurant or something?

rflies
11th Apr 2019, 07:14
It looks like they are offering their DECs a 3 year renewable contract, instead of permenant positions..now that's not particularly encouraging for an airline in the ME..wondering what's up their sleeve?? .. any updates??

a3twenty
11th Apr 2019, 07:43
It looks like they are offering their DECs a 3 year renewable contract, instead of permenant positions..now that's not particularly encouraging for an airline in the ME..wondering what's up their sleeve?? .. any updates??
That's a step up from the 2 years contract which were on offer till a month back. 5200 bds or around 13500 usd a month, non commuting, night flying with no credit block for it, and leaves getting cancelled every year, it does not seem lucrative enough. And yes, bahrain is a great place to live, but it is not UAE. don't get me wrong, it's just a personal preference for UAE over bahrain.

rflies
11th Apr 2019, 08:54
Leaves would continue to get cancelled with the unforseen pilot shortage and their expansion plans in the pipeline. Clearly renewable contracts is not the way ahead. They would have to go back to permenant positions to say the least.
​​​​​​

Smoke mountain
11th Apr 2019, 10:01
I am not aware that any company in Bahrain offer more than 2 years contract for expats, contract usually for 2 years renewable.
3 years contract in GF is a first.
Leave cancellation will remain as long as they are not able to recruit.

rflies
11th Apr 2019, 10:54
So do they honour the "renewable" contract and religiously extend the contract every 3 years?.would the DECs be eligible to training positions and management positions in the long run??
​​​​​Or is the contract more like an interim strategy to cater to the shortfall till the locals get in??

ironbutt57
11th Apr 2019, 13:07
I am not aware that any company in Bahrain offer more than 2 years contract for expats, contract usually for 2 years renewable.
3 years contract in GF is a first.
Leave cancellation will remain as long as they are not able to recruit.

in the good old days, one completed a 3 year contract, then signed an open-ended one..

Landflap
12th Apr 2019, 09:20
It's all a bit meaningless when in most cases a contract or permanent post has a three month notice period on either side. You are, kinda, safe for three months. When I was in GF for a short time as DE FO on the 767, there were one year contracts as DEC LHS on the 737, three year FO contracts on the 767. None of the 737 contracts were renewed. None of the 737 guys went to 767. If you went for FO 767, there was a good chance of upgrade within the three year period if you had previous Command experience. I left after 6 months (giving three month's notice ) but there was a period where, after much pressure from rank & file, to go "permanent". But, permanent still had three months notice on either side .

Following the 767 demise & very messed up handling , expats over the age of 60 were transferred to A340 on one year contracts (honestly) .

I don't know what Arab expat contracts were, Remember, they had non-Bahraini Arab expats in great numbers.

Boils down to the whole thing being very liquid and, of course, favouring management manipulation to their advantage. No change in Aviation management there then, eh ?

McMax
13th Apr 2019, 06:22
@ rflies, gonna be an underwater theme park... https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/bahrain-underwater-theme-park-submerged-boeing-747-jet-diving-holiday-a8756916.html

BLSA
13th Apr 2019, 06:28
Flew out of BAH a few days ago, there is an aircraft parked on some reclaimed land to the east of the airport, is this a restaurant or something?
diving center (https://www.lamaiscubadiving.com/bahrain-new-underwater-theme-park/)

BLSA
13th Apr 2019, 06:30
2 years, 3 years, open-ended, all of them are 3 months notice anyways

ironbutt57
13th Apr 2019, 21:23
2 years, 3 years, open-ended, all of them are 3 months notice anyways

there is a difference between how they are required to pay you between time specific and open ended if the employer terminates the contract

ironbutt57
13th Apr 2019, 21:25
@ rflies, gonna be an underwater theme park... https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/bahrain-underwater-theme-park-submerged-boeing-747-jet-diving-holiday-a8756916.html

yah, with an average 2 meters visibility on a good day...all the best with that

slowjet
14th Apr 2019, 08:50
IB. Don;t wish to get too bogged down in legal specifics that might drift too far for the thread but mate of mine was one of the previously referred to "Age over 60" pilots transferred to A340 on one year contracts. He was booted out for being too noisy over the deal , within the one year period, He even had to fight very dirty for the three month's pay in lieu of notice. He suffered having to sign off on legitimate sick leave being taken from annual leave bank ! Not being a whizz at mental arithmatic, he thought he came out of it with 3000 dinars more than expected, blasted off to the Mall & bought himself his leaving gift.

One year contracts still required three month's notice on either side. While three months pay in lieu of that would be easy to recognise, are you suggesting that since it was a one year contract, terminated within one year (even three months), more compensation would have been appropriate ?

Too late now because all those terminated are required to a sign a "full payment" obtained with "no redress" after leaving the island. If you didn't sign, you didn;t get anything. Charming.

He signed, glad to get out of it and gave himself his leaving gift.

Gordomac
14th Apr 2019, 09:00
Slow, I see your spelling is worse than my arithmetic. Interesting to note that in addition, there was a three year bond on a one year contract. Go figure that ! Point is, really, that these gigs work only in favour of the employer if you fall foul. Even "deemed" to be foul. You win, only if you get what you want out of it and slip away. Still enjoyed my stint for all the good bits and still wearing my leaving watch that I bought myself.

ironbutt57
14th Apr 2019, 09:11
for fixed term contracts, the company was required to pay out 3 months OR 50% of the remaining contract, which ever is greater as they painfully found out a few years back when the genius CEO from the military cut some pilots, that they needed back 3 months later...some made out pretty good in that payout

the over 60 thing finally got fixed, nowadays one flies to 65, no issues..

High Energy
15th Apr 2019, 06:42
for fixed term contracts, the company was required to pay out 3 months OR 50% of the remaining contract, which ever is greater as they painfully found out a few years back when the genius CEO from the military cut some pilots, that they needed back 3 months later...some made out pretty good in that payout

the over 60 thing finally got fixed, nowadays one flies to 65, no issues..

Yep. We got paid out the remainder of the 2 year contract without issues. (>3 months) Made good money out of it. The whole process was quit efficient. We told them at the 'dismissal meeting' that they would need us again the same year as many guys were leaving to EY/QR and just hadn't resigned yet as they waited for a start date. We even offered to take all our leave and voluntary leave to remain in the company. Not interested. Months later they inquired if we wanted to come back. Yeah right...

Gordomac
15th Apr 2019, 08:17
IB; Thanks. I got nothing like that and although three months pay in lieu of notice was authorised, Head of HR ( I use the term politely) kept me waiting for three hours before signing the pink slip. Still, memories of playing drums at the Rock 'n' zee on a Thursday night take away the bad taste and leave the sweet memories lasting rather than the bitter.

Enigma01
15th Apr 2019, 09:28
Hi guys

I am wondering if they are still hiring NR Fo’s for the A320.

Got unemployed 9 weeks ago and still looking for a job.

tx

thegypsy
15th Apr 2019, 21:20
Blimey. What with slowjet /spelling and Gordomac /mental arithmetic I am for once speechless. I can however understand now why they are mates.:rolleyes: