PDA

View Full Version : Author Question...

martywrites
24th Jan 2018, 20:39
Hi, I hope I am posting this in the right place (if not please let me know, moderators and I'll move it!). Wonder if anyone can give me a few pointers. One of the characters in the modern day novel I'm writing is a former pilot, who is helping to restore a vintage plane. Eventually he flies the plane. None of this is a huge part of the novel but obviously I want to get it right! Could anyone perhaps suggest the type of plane that he could, feasibly, be restoring? (I realise it's unlikely to be something like a Spitfire). If anyone's able to answer any more questions I'd be very grateful, but that would do for starters! thank you

jonkster
24th Jan 2018, 21:34
This mightn't help but...

I love reading about things that mention aviation but absolutely hate reading fiction that mention things in aviation that are not well researched and make up things that sound reasonable to the author but are patently wrong to anyone who is in the game. For me it destroys the suspension of reality needed to enjoy a work of fiction. I hate having that suspension grabbed away from me.

Getting it right deserves effort. Whatever you do, get a pilot to read the aircraft bits first to weed out any things that will jar.

I am sure you will get lots of input from UK people about what makes sense there but just wanted to say the above...

I don't know about the UK but look up something like https://haa-uk.aero/ and see if you can have a chat with someone there. Alternatively if you can find an airfield where old aircraft operate out of wander down and start chatting.

How much money does your pilot have? What is their passion in aviation? What sort of flying did they do in their past. Some pilots later in their life revisit the aircraft of their youth and they may not be the sort of aircraft the public see as sexy or interesting.

Are they doing the restoration mostly on their own or with others? Were they ex military or civil (or both?) Do they have an aircraft engineering background?

Something that also may or may not fit your story is the fact that there are a lot of new aircraft built by amateurs (ie not by a factory) and many builders are retired pilots. Some of these are very high performance aircraft - see Welcome to the Light Aircraft Association (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/Who%20we%20are/about%20us.html). There would probably be more of these being built than being restored.

my 2c

martywrites
24th Jan 2018, 21:40
Thank you - that is really helpful. Lots to think about and I'll certainly check out the link you've sent me. We do have a small airfield nearby and that could be a great place to start, if they'll let me on! Thanks very much.

treadigraph
25th Jan 2018, 07:06
I'd suggest a something like a Tiger Moth, Auster or a Piper Cub might be a good bet - they are relatively simple and there are plenty of people around who can advise you on aspects of restoring such types.

You might also ask the question on Flypast's site, I know there are several people actively involved in aircraft restoration who post there and they might be happy to help.

Let us know how you get on!

N707ZS
25th Jan 2018, 08:12
There's been a few threads on prune about restoring planes on the private pilots section. A large number of people these days are busy building kit planes you will probably be more likely to find someone building a new kit than restoring an old aircraft.

AerocatS2A
25th Jan 2018, 09:47
I would also suggest something like a Tiger Moth.

olympus
5th Feb 2018, 12:02
You might also like to consider not using the word 'planes' as it tends to identify you as not of the aviation world. Many aviation-minded people, within and without the industry, prefer the use of 'aircraft' or aeroplane(s)'.

NRU74
5th Feb 2018, 12:08
Hmm - Pehaps we ought to put the OP in touch with Maurice who was, erm, restoring an aircraft in Africa at some stage last year ?

treadigraph
5th Feb 2018, 16:15
Hmm - Pehaps we ought to put the OP in touch with Maurice who was, erm, restoring an aircraft in Africa at some stage last year ?

Maurice probably does have quite a lot of time on his hands at present...