PDA

View Full Version : Sir Elton hangs up his microphone

crewmeal
24th Jan 2018, 17:59
So after 50+ years of performing he's finally calling it a day as regards live tours. I for one wish him the best of health for the future for a well deserved rest.

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-elton-announces-final-tour-in-live-video-after-50-years-of-performing-11220768

Ancient Observer
24th Jan 2018, 18:02
Saw him live a couple of times back in the early 70s. He was brilliant then, and still is!!

Hussar 54
24th Jan 2018, 19:00
Microphone or toupee ?

I quite like much of his earlier music, but too much of a diva for my taste.

West Coast
24th Jan 2018, 19:24
He and Neil Diamond in successive days. The old guard is moving on.

back to Boeing
24th Jan 2018, 20:12
But first he's going to do a 3 year 300 date tour!

Effluent Man
24th Jan 2018, 20:18
One of those IMHO who was brilliant at first and gradually went downhill. His earlier stuff was his best.

Echo Romeo
24th Jan 2018, 20:22
He was brilliant in the 70’s 80’s and maybe 90’s. But should have packed up yesrs ago.

wiggy
24th Jan 2018, 22:18
But first he's going to do a 3 year 300 date tour!

Ah, indeed...Sir Elton has got a bit of form/previous in this area

In 2014 we got to see him perform at an outdoor concert in southern France. Half way through that particular gig and between numbers he announced to the audience that due to wanting to spend more time with his family that tour was indeed going to be his last. Of course lots of “ooohs” and “aaahs” from the crowd but I later gathered from those who were regular attendees at his concerts that he was in the habit of making such an announcement at concerts on a frequent basis.....report on that announcement here:

Elton John Is Not Retiring (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/elton-john-not-retiring/)

One of today’s reports, also mentioning previous retirements:

https://www.straight.com/music/1023626/just-1977-elton-john-announces-hes-retiring-again-touring

It should be noted that this isn’t the first time that John has announced his retirement from touring. In 1977 he announced, “I’ve made a decision tonight that this is going to be the last show. There’s a lot more to me than playing on the road and this is the last one I’m going to do.” That retirement from the road lasted a grand total of two years.

Anyhow just in case time really has caught up with him and he means it I have to agree with AO, and whilst I’m not a fan of his later work he still is a heck of a showman and we had a great night out...get tickets if you can.

cavuman1
24th Jan 2018, 22:27
My mother, born in 1920 in Portsmouth, Virginia, spent her last years in the Peachtree Towers, a luxurious condominium in Atlanta, Georgia. The two towers had twenty-some stories; each floor featured two 4,000 sq. ft. residences. Mother's unit on the fourth floor suited her just right - she said it was like living in a tree house!

She called me one night to tell me that she had just met her new fourth-floor neighbor. In her honeyed tidewater accent she said: "Edwood, Ah have jus' met the most dee-lightful man. He and his boyfriend have jus' moved in across the hall and they invited me ovah for some Courvoisier and hors d'oeuvres. Their place is a palace and one of the men is named Reginald Dwight." As I spat out my drink and struggled not to swallow my tongue, I replied: "Mother, do you have any idea who you've just met?" "No, son." "That's Elton John!" "Who's that?", she rejoined. Guy Lombardo and Tommy Dorsey smiled and spun in their respective graves...

And so it came to pass that Reggie, David, and my mother became best of friends (and drinking buddies)!

- Ed ;)

yellowtriumph
24th Jan 2018, 22:36
... And so it came to pass that Reggie, David, and my mother became best of friends (and drinking buddies)! ...

- Ed ;)

Nice story. I once had a cup of tea in the same room as Elton. And I do mean a proper room as opposed to 'stadium'. Does that count ?!!

treadigraph
24th Jan 2018, 22:39
At the same time? :p

Another vote for the early stuff...

SpringHeeledJack
24th Jan 2018, 22:39
Brilliant story cavuman! I happened to be in Milan some years back when EJ and entourage pulled up outside the Versace store in Via della Spiga for a shopping splurge (EJ was a BIG fan of their garish silk designs). Surrounded by a baying mob of eyetalean fans shouting "Eyelton Eyelton!" I felt a surge of mischief come over me and hollered "Oi Reg alright!?" whereupon he turned round and gave me a look and then grinned and then went into the store.

His early stuff good, later stuff sounded like a TV commercial soundbite, or a film soundtrack.

yellowtriumph
24th Jan 2018, 22:57
At the same time? :p

Another vote for the early stuff...

Yes at the same time! He was rehearsing his act in the afternoon and was led afterwards into the cafe by a young lady and they sat on their own at a small round table and she got Elton a cuppa.

He did look a bit odd sat there wearing some long flowing kaftan sort of thing and one of those hats as worn by Dr Strabismus. Very quiet and unassuming and never once pestered me for an autograph.

I was surprised that he had couple of tv sets on the floor in front of his piano with all the words of the songs scrolling along on them as he sang them. I guess when you've written that many hits you might need the odd prompt or two so no reflection on his ability.

tartare
25th Jan 2018, 00:28
Diva or not - man's a deadset genius of a songwriter, and brilliant pianist. The way the British tabs have gone after him for years purely cos he's a friend of dorothy is bleedin' disgusting.

IBMJunkman
25th Jan 2018, 04:34
I saw him live at Caesar’s in the early 2000’s and a few times in Italy in the 90s. His range was a bit diminished. Apparently whatever throat work he had done after the 1987 Australia tour changed something. For the pre-1987 songs I only listen to the pre-1987 recordings.

sitigeltfel
25th Jan 2018, 08:05
Very quiet and unassuming and never once pestered me for an autograph.

A few times a year I have coffee with a V famous English actress who has a holiday home here. Watching the reactions of others who recognise her is funny, you can see the look of "is that?" on their faces and "who is that with her?" while taking surreptitious snaps on their phones. I have even been asked for my autograph, by association! I must be on hundreds of peoples social media posts alongside her, and thankfully nobody has a clue as to who I am.

treadigraph
25th Jan 2018, 08:16
Next time you see her, giver her our love - I'll bet we all like her, whoever she is!

ExXB
25th Jan 2018, 10:45
One of his last 300 venues will be the Montreux Jazz Festival. For less than the price of a single standing room only ticket, you can buy every song he ever recorded.

It should be called the golden brick road.

Buster11
25th Jan 2018, 11:48
ExXB's mention of the Montreux Jazz Festival and Elton John in the same breath, so to speak, suggests that a change of name for the festival is long overdue. A gathering that started with such jazz musicians as Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Jack DeJohnette, Keith Jarrett, Basie and Mingus, now includes a vast range of names from the pop industry like Elton John, Queen, Status Quo and Tom Jones.

If that's a jazz festival my sch...k's a rollmop.

ExXB
25th Jan 2018, 16:54
Buster, still plenty of Jazz - some of it free, most of it not.

Bittell Lakes
25th Jan 2018, 16:58
I saw him live 42 years ago - brilliant.

feueraxt
26th Jan 2018, 05:42
I'm surprised he made it this far without dying from Aids.

DON T
26th Jan 2018, 07:01
When I lived in Northwood London, rumour had it that Elton had played his first ever gig at the Northwood Hills pub and the venue was now on the ‘Elton Tour of London’.

It was also rumoured that the pub manager had sold the ‘original piano’ five times to overseas visitors.��

Krystal n chips
26th Jan 2018, 08:15
Friend of mine at the time in Germany, when asked as to why he wanted to leave such a dynamic organisation....with one very good reason sitting in front of him asking the question and what he would do, dryly replied "Elton John's spectacles bag carrier "....after, apparently, some thought, the reply was that this wasn't what could be classed as a rewarding career....so he then added that working for the Tube would be and didn't involve all the (rude word ) he was getting now. End of interview.

Very good singer and musician though, always worth watching and listening to.

Training Risky
26th Jan 2018, 11:37
Shame good old EJ felt the need to abuse press freedom and the public's freedom of speech in order to create a fake public persona in a manner akin to Goebbels. But hey ho...

Steamer Ned
26th Jan 2018, 17:23
Thought it might be good to put in a mention here for Davey Johnstone, Edinburgh-born guitarist/multi-instrumentalist and music director for Sir Elton from 1971 to this day. Some may remember Davey's earlier work with Noel Murphy and Magna Carta pre- the Elton days ...

DaveReidUK
26th Jan 2018, 18:09
Thought it might be good to put in a mention here for Davey Johnstone, Edinburgh-born guitarist/multi-instrumentalist and music director for Sir Elton from 1971 to this day. Some may remember Davey's earlier work with Noel Murphy and Magna Carta pre- the Elton days ...

Not to mention another of EJ's stalwarts, Nigel Olsson.

Give Elton his due, he certainly inspires loyalty among his musicians.

Captain Dart
26th Jan 2018, 23:08
Shame good old EJ felt the need to abuse press freedom and the public's freedom of speech in order to create a fake public persona in a manner akin to Goebbels. But hey ho...

Even in a thread about Elton John, Godwin's Law holds true.

Training Risky
27th Jan 2018, 08:21
Even in a thread about Elton John, Godwin's Law holds true.

While the super rich buy the court system off to get what they want. Great.

Dan Gerous
27th Jan 2018, 14:25
Stopped buying his stuff after the Blue Moves album, just didn't like his later stuff after that. Caribou, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic, still some of my favourite albums, and Philadelphia Freedom is my favourite Elton track.

lurkio
27th Jan 2018, 16:54
Brilliant performer and one of the few who put his band in the 70s on royalties. Very smart move as they were all brilliant, shame Dee Murray passed a while back.

chevvron
28th Jan 2018, 06:37
About time too.
The only 'good' thing he ever did was help resurrect Watford FC.