PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways - tail wagging dog wagging tail...

galdian
24th Jan 2018, 11:17
Heard from a friend JET India sending out email regards interest in previous expats (maybe some, maybe many) returning - after being terminated less than 6 months ago.

Incredible India indeed!:ok:

Tasmanian
25th Jan 2018, 15:16
Yep... that’s how they do the business.. first they are in excess of pilots and decide straight away to terminate most of expats and change the contract and several months later there are no pilots to crew their aircraft... a part of next Shantaram book shall be dedicated to airlines in India for sure.. well.. i can write a part)))

bafanguy
29th Jan 2018, 08:12
FYI:

Would they have hired expats in the first place if the supply of their own nationals were sufficient ?

"Foreign pilots have enjoyed the privilege to fly steel birds in India for a long time. This, to a great extent, hampered opportunities available to Indian trained pilots."

https://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2018/01/opportunity-parity-pilots-licenses-india.html

galdian
29th Jan 2018, 20:46
Fair point however a couple of possibilities:

- there appear to be plenty of new CPL's available however they're not going to be jumping in the LHS any time soon, why the local industry cannot train to an appropriate standard to allow for faster movement maybe a question for the local entities involved;

- the caste system in India has a similar effect as the "respect for elders" in Asia which causes CRM at times to be in competition with local social convention, having expat Captains may help to slowly bring change so CRM can be more effective.

I suppose think of the tales of Korean Airlines and CRM over the decades.

Anyhow couple of thoughts.
Cheers:ok:

captjns
30th Jan 2018, 17:50
FYI:

Would they have hired expats in the first place if the supply of their own nationals were sufficient ?

"Foreign pilots have enjoyed the privilege to fly steel birds in India for a long time. This, to a great extent, hampered opportunities available to Indian trained pilots."

https://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2018/01/opportunity-parity-pilots-licenses-india.html

No disrespect intended, but this applies world wide. There are trained pilots and qualified pilots. However only a trained, and qualified pilot who meets the safety standards can only be eligible to fly, in your words, “steel birds”. Fact be known however more carbon fiber than aluminum theses days.

bafanguy
30th Jan 2018, 18:53
...this applies world wide. However only a trained, and qualified pilot who meets the safety standards can only be eligible to fly, in your words, “steel birds”.

I assume it does apply worldwide...that seems to be the point missed by the author of the article.

And those weren't my words. It was a quote from the linked article.

4runner
30th Jan 2018, 19:34
I was under the impression from very reliable sources and contacts that perhaps India doesn’t really want Indian pilots.

hitansh
26th Apr 2018, 21:18
They have started a Cadet Program which I am about to join, hope they do not mess with us.