PDA

View Full Version : Little Mix sued by deaf mother

Icare9
24th Jan 2018, 10:02
Pardon the pun, but I've heard it all now!
Deaf mum sues Little Mix promoter in sign language row - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42776454)

Accepting that when they're played on the radio, I wish i was deaf, how on earth can anyone with an ounce of intelligence expect to have signers at a pop concert?
The organisers even offered a ticket to bring her own signer, but apparently that wasn't sufficient.. Why not? She'd have to pay, that's why!!

Given that often the decibel levels are high enough to CAUSE deafness, what's the point of signing lyrics? You can easily access them on the internet "to be part of the experience".

The organisers then gave in (why?) but now she's complaining because only the Little Mix songs were signed.... "so I missed out" blah, blah.....

This is giving disadvantaged (anyone going to complain about that word?) a bad name and instead of coping they want princess treatment.

I should be used to people stupidity amazing me, but this left me dumb with the audacity and daftness of it....

I dread to ask "Where will it end?"

NutLoose
24th Jan 2018, 10:04
I wonder if she understands the international sign language of two fingers?

ORAC
24th Jan 2018, 10:05
I can’t understand the lyrics to over 50% of the tunes in the charts anyway - the English ones that is - and can’t remember the other 50% after they finish.

Jack D
24th Jan 2018, 11:15
Anyone remember the bogus signer at Nelson Mandela’s memorial service ?

charliegolf
24th Jan 2018, 12:02
What.......?

charliegolf
24th Jan 2018, 12:03

Yeah, couldn't sing for toffee. Oh...

CG

Effluent Man
24th Jan 2018, 13:25
Listening to the headline on Radio 4 I was under the incorrect impression that the group comprised Leprechauns.

RAT 5
24th Jan 2018, 14:50
When I heard this story my first reaction was, they wanted to 'hear' the lyrics via a signer. Hm? That means either they have to be within close eye sight of the signer, or they have to be displayed on a large screen beside the stage. Somewhat disturbing for all the other, by now nearly deaf, audience. To answer their request why not loan then a tablet with the words in program order? That way all the groups could have been uploaded. Seems a simple cheap effective solution.
What is happening now is a step too far. Will the judge have courage?

Local Variation
24th Jan 2018, 17:22
Her name wasn't Mrs Richards was it?

(For those of you who enjoyed Fawlty Towers)

NutLoose
24th Jan 2018, 17:39
To answer their request why not loan then a tablet with the words in program order?

Cool free tablets........

Better still as anyone breathing these days has a mobile, including the deaf, simply transmit it so they can watch it on that. WAIT do I need to register that idea???
Some apps will convert it for you.

ORAC
24th Jan 2018, 17:40
Going to see Hamilton on stage tomorrow in London - I’ll let you know if they have a signer and a big screen for them..... not.

DaveReidUK
24th Jan 2018, 19:15
Going to see Hamilton on stage tomorrow in London - I’ll let you know if they have a signer and a big screen for them..... not.

Nor would anyone expect there to be.

Venues are only obliged to make reasonable provision for disabled customers.

What's reasonable for a 20,000 capacity arena is clearly going to be different from what's reasonable for a 1500-seat theatre.

Icare9
24th Jan 2018, 20:52
Listening to the headline on Radio 4 I was under the incorrect impression that the group comprised Leprechauns.
Brilliant! :D :ok:

I note she's a BRITISH Sign Language proof reader - does that mean that they'd need to have interpreters in a multitude of sign languages?

I suppose another snowflake will stand up and say that British Sign Language is discriminatory in excluding ethnic minorities - has she thought of that?
You won't be able to see the performance for the crowd of signers - mind you maybe that's preferable?

Honestly, she's bringing derision into what may be something to consider on a vastly smaller scale.

As she's an interpreter of BSL the simple course (apart from being a professional agitator) would have been to download the lyrics so she could sing/sign along with the noise.

Let's see, signers at the Theatre and cinema, or sports event - cricket must be a stand out, tennis, Formula 1

vapilot2004
24th Jan 2018, 21:11
At speeches given by certain members of Congress and the current president, interpretation for the deaf would be fairly easy, requiring only one hand sign throughout.

NutLoose
24th Jan 2018, 22:00
Let's see, signers at the Theatre and cinema, or sports event - cricket must be a stand out, tennis, Formula 1

or walking in front of every vehicle on the road to indicate when they sound their horns, sprinters will be required for Police, Ambulances and Fire Engines.

Ascend Charlie
24th Jan 2018, 22:04
They could all take a page from Helen Keller's book and get on with life.

belfrybat
25th Jan 2018, 00:36
Supposing she's able to read they could have printed the lyrics on a few sheets of paper. Also, I don't know about this particular group, lyrics are downloadable from numerous sites and most smartphones have some text-reader or can have one installed.

I checked them out on the U-tube. I don't give a hoot for the music, but the little minxes do have lovely legs.

Bull at a Gate
25th Jan 2018, 02:25
Well a blind man won the right to get the ticket application booklet for the Sydney Olympic Games printed in braille!

https://www.piac.asn.au/legal-help/public-interest-cases/disability-discrimination-sydney-olympic-games-ticketing/

NutLoose
25th Jan 2018, 02:58
And the new UK money has braille on it too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/new-10-note-release-date-blind_uk_59b65b18e4b0354e4412e2a7

Icare9
25th Jan 2018, 09:42
Lyrics available here https://www.azlyrics.com/l/littlemix.html

Hmm... perhaps she should have read them first and then decided if they were appropriate for her children to hear?
"F.U."

All damn night I was here waiting
Cooked your favourite, dressed up real nice
I know you were with her,
I know that you kissed her

You came home late, when I was so mad
Had my break-up speech ready
Then you kiss my face,
It's the way you persuade me

You're dirty, disgusting
But I can't get 'nough of your loving
Boy, I hate you, really hate you
My mama said I shouldn't date you
You cheated, you're lyin'
I know that you're hiding
Two cellphones
But, boy, right before I say that it's the end

You sweet-talk me again, yo
I don't wanna be friends, no
Why am I such a fool when it comes to you?
A, B, C, D, E-e-eee, F.U.

All my friends say I'm a sucker
Can't explain.
It's complicated
I wish you were dead 'til you take me to bed
You're so good, so good, you little mother, mother,
Oh, them brown eyes and that body
I'll get my revenge, take my key to your Benz

You're dirty, disgusting
Two cellphones

I wanna say "Shoo, shoo"
I wanna say "Screw you"
I practice my lines in the mirror
Then you smile, that's my killer

So I say "Love you"
And "Baby, I need you"
'Cause you're drop-dead gorgeous
And Cupid ain't coming to warn us

You're dirty, disgusting

Two cellphones

eal401
25th Jan 2018, 11:49
I got into a bit of a discussion about this on Facebook - questioning her use of her (non-deaf) daughter who was the actual one wanting to see the group. (The daughter's embarrassment at being used like this on national TV was obvious even to my daughter!)

Needless to say, all sorts of people have piled into me, calling me vile, discriminatory, anti-disabled and all sorts. The old "hope you never get deaf" adage gets an airing too.

Questions as to how the lady can understand the music - never mind the lyrics - have gone unanswered....

Dan Gerous
25th Jan 2018, 14:10
How come the little mixers don't have cute little nick names, like the Spice girls had? They could call the fat one "Cake Mix".:E

Bee Rexit
25th Jan 2018, 14:18
How come the little mixers don't have cute little nick names, like the Spice girls had? They could call the fat one "Cake Mix".:E

"Fat shaming" is frowned upon now. Judging by the make up though a few of the others could be dubbed "Cement Mix"

PDR1
25th Jan 2018, 14:20
I got into a bit of a discussion about this on Facebook - questioning her use of her (non-deaf) daughter who was the actual one wanting to see the group.

As did I.

Needless to say, all sorts of people have piled into me, calling me vile, discriminatory, anti-disabled and all sorts.

Same here, but I turned a deaf ear to them and these critics failed to provide a signer to interpret the criticism...

PDR

treadigraph
25th Jan 2018, 14:31
If there's a spotty one, she could be Pick 'n' Mix

Golf-Sierra
25th Jan 2018, 14:39
What if it was a non English language singing band?

Sign language is the same for all languages (I assume) - but would the organizers need to provide a signer given that most of the people there would not understand the words?

PDR1
25th Jan 2018, 15:35
Love to see the signing for "Great Gig in the Sky", or the intro to "Shine On you Crazy Diamond"...

PDR

PDR1
25th Jan 2018, 15:35
What if it was a non English language singing band?

You mean Jimmy Nail?

PDR

NutLoose
25th Jan 2018, 15:43
Questions as to how the lady can understand the music - never mind the lyrics - have gone unanswered.... They can feel the vibrations similar to deaf piano tuners,.... ahem........ that's assuming she hasn't got any other vibrating electrical items turned on, then all she will here is the Buzzcocks... and don't forget Beethoven was deaf.

uffington sb
25th Jan 2018, 15:49
A few years ago while in Oz, we went to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains.
At one of the lookout points, metal plaques were positioned on the handrails to show what you could see. They were also in Braille!

PDR1
25th Jan 2018, 15:54
Beethoven BECAME deaf, but only towards the end of his life. For most of his composing career - the bits where he did the nice tunes like 2nd of the 7th - he had pretty good hearing. By that stage he could read a score and "hear" the music in the same way that you can read this text and "hear" the words.

PDR

arketip
25th Jan 2018, 17:01
Sign language is the same for all languages (I assume)

No, it is not

Windy Militant
25th Jan 2018, 18:47
Questions as to how the lady can understand the music - never mind the lyrics - have gone unanswered....
Evelyn_Glennie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie)

BSL is a language of its own, there are variations between American, Irish, French and Australasian languages. I did wonder about this while watching programmes on S4C in Welsh which had translation, then I thought the sign for a Ci Defaid /Sheep dog would mean the same thing either way but in BSL. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsNlltrgqQ

NutLoose
25th Jan 2018, 19:05
If there's a spotty one, she could be Pick 'n' Mix

If there is a blind one she could be mixi matosis.

funfly
25th Jan 2018, 21:50

Thanks for reminding us of that brilliant scene.

bgbazz
25th Jan 2018, 22:01
If there is a blind one she could be mixi matosis.

Does that mean that if one of them was a crossdresser, she could be called

Mix and Match?

Ogre
25th Jan 2018, 22:50
Love to see the signing for "Great Gig in the Sky", or the intro to "Shine On you Crazy Diamond"...

PDR

Likewise "In the flesh", although I'm surprised anyone would be brave enough to sing the lyrics in public these days

woptb
25th Jan 2018, 23:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18JmieM8SFc

Heartwarming to know people like this do still exist!

eal401
26th Jan 2018, 09:36
Evelyn_Glennie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie)

BSL is a language of its own, there are variations between American, Irish, French and Australasian languages. I did wonder about this while watching programmes on S4C in Welsh which had translation, then I thought the sign for a Ci Defaid /Sheep dog would mean the same thing either way but in BSL. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsNlltrgqQ

Good point. I guess that there maybe variations in how an individual is deaf that enables some to have some sense of the music.

PDR1
26th Jan 2018, 10:53
Likewise "In the flesh", although I'm surprised anyone would be brave enough to sing the lyrics in public these days

Well quite, although it was clearly intended to be ironic even then. I do remember when it happened to come on in the car* when I was doing a dad's-taxi run for one of my daughters and her mate my daughter had to very quickly explain this, because her mate had never heard of FLoyd due to a seriously deprived upbringing that neglected proper music.

PDR

* My car has a large memory stick plugged into it that has the complete works of floyd, clapton, bowie, queen, and selected highlights from others like Eagles, Beethoven, Bach and Albinoni (plus about 200 episodes of ISIHAC) and it's generally set to "random", so anything can come on at any time.

TURIN
26th Jan 2018, 11:03
Heartwarming to know people like this do still exist!

Indeed, alive and well on Jet Blast. It must be terrible for them, all that hate and bile.