PDA

View Full Version : Mid-air collision between EMS helicopter and light fixed wing in southern Germany

whoknows idont
23rd Jan 2018, 12:37
Supposedly at least four casualties. :(

BERLIN (AP) — German police say a small aircraft has crashed midair with a helicopter northwest of Stuttgart. Police in Karlsruhe told the dpa news agency Tuesday the two aircraft crashed outside of Philippsburg, about 100 kilometers (60 miles) from Stuttgart.
Police say it's not yet known how many people were on board the two aircraft or whether there were any casualties.
Police could not immediately be reached for further details.
Police: Small plane, helicopter crash in southern Germany (http://www.tampabay.com/-dead-after-small-plane-chopper-crash-in-germany-ap_world1324b68fcf994ad2a0aa3fba2cffe5fc)

skadi
23rd Jan 2018, 13:41
The helicopter was on a trainingflight with two pilots from the DRF-Trainingcenter at EDSB, the FW with 2POB was obviously on departure of the nearby Speyer airfield.

skadi

bsieker
23rd Jan 2018, 14:59
The operater of the helicopter, DRF Luftrettung, released a short press statement (https://presse.drf-luftrettung.de/de/pressemitteilungen/hubschrauber-nach-kollision-mit-kleinflugzeug-abgestuerzt), saying that there were two persons each in both the light aircraft and the helicopter.

Spunk
23rd Jan 2018, 16:07
News media says that the airplane was on its way from Basel TO Speyer (not as mentioned earlier where it states that it departed Speyer).

Nubian
23rd Jan 2018, 17:37
Looks as if mid-airs are on the rise! 3 accidents in the last few months involving a helicopter and an airplane in Europe alone.

What's going on???

Spunk
23rd Jan 2018, 18:06
On the news they are saying now that the plane came from above breaking through the clouds 🤢

skadi
23rd Jan 2018, 18:25
On the news they are saying now that the plane came from above breaking through the clouds 🤢

Weather was not so bad:

METAR EDFM 231120Z 20006KT 170V230 9999 OVC048 08/06 Q1027=

skadi

Ascend Charlie
24th Jan 2018, 01:40
Breaking through the clouds, eh....

Isn't there a VFR requirement to be 500 or 1000' vertically away from a cloud? Should have given both a chance to see each other?

skadi
24th Jan 2018, 04:59
Breaking through the clouds, eh....

Isn't there a VFR requirement to be 500 or 1000' vertically away from a cloud? Should have given both a chance to see each other?

The helicopter was well below of the cloud at around 800ft AGL. And in uncontrolled airspace the requirement is "clear of clouds" (for both aircraft).

skadi

bsieker
24th Jan 2018, 06:22
The helicopter was well below of the cloud at around 800ft AGL. And in uncontrolled airspace the requirement is "clear of clouds" (for both aircraft).

skadi

That's not quite true. This requirement is only true in Airspace G below 3000 ft MSL / 1000 ft AGL (whichever is higher). Above that, and in all other Airspaces, the cloud separation requirement for VFR is 1000 ft (300 m) vertically and 1500 m horizontally. This was only changed a few years ago, until then you would have been right, as the only uncontrolled Airspace in Germany is Golf.

Here's a nice overview of Airspaces in Germany (https://www.dfs.de/dfs_homepage/de/Flugsicherung/Luftraum/luftraumstruktur_092016.pdf).

But if the fixed-wing aircraft came out of the clouds, it would (should!) have been under IFR, and if the ceiling was 4800 ft, it would have been in Airspace Echo.

Speyer is uncontrolled and has no instrument approaches (and thus no RMZ), so if it was going to land there it would have had to transition to a visual approach soon after coming out of the clouds. Even at an unusually high descent rate of 2000 fpm it would have taken two minutes in good (10+ km) visibility to reach the helicopter's alleged altitude.

Bernd

skadi
24th Jan 2018, 07:15
Yes, you are right. I was focussed on the low altitude of the helicopter and he was obviously well clear of any clouds.
And one have to be cautious about the words of the eyewitnesses concerning the Piper suddenly came right out of the clouds.

skadi

9Aplus
24th Jan 2018, 12:48
I am sick of such unnecessary, tragic incidents :(

Flying Bull
24th Jan 2018, 13:38
Well, only limited information available.
I donˋt wanˋt to blame anyone, but experience shows, that it is quite common ( illegal ) practise within the light fixed wing world to fly their „own IFR approaches“ operating under VMC rules....
Was scared more than once from TCAS, warning me from traffic close above, while operating in a helicopter at 800 feet or less above ground, just below cloud....
Always close to smal airfields....

skadi
24th Jan 2018, 13:54
Well, only limited information available.
I donˋt wanˋt to blame anyone, but experience shows, that it is quite common ( illegal ) practise within the light fixed wing world to fly their „own IFR approaches“ operating under VMC rules....
Was scared more than once from TCAS, warning me from traffic close above, while operating in a helicopter at 800 feet or less above ground, just below cloud....
Always close to smal airfields....

But in this case the clouds were far above the helicopter and both were in contact with Speyer airfield. The Piper was informed about the helicopter but replied that he couldn't see him. Short time later they collided.

skadi

Flying Bull
24th Jan 2018, 14:01
But in this case the clouds were far above the helicopter and both were in contact with Speyer airfield. The Piper was informed about the helicopter but replied that he couldn't see him. Short time later they collided.

skadi

So you have more information about this accident.
Even worse, if both are in contact with Speyer and know about each other but fail to communicate about positions and heights to keep seperation :-(

what next
24th Jan 2018, 14:08
But in this case the clouds were far above the helicopter ...

I was flying myself at the time of the accident less than 30NM away from the site. There were no low clouds anywhere in the whole region. EDSB would have been our alternate therefore we listened in on their ATIS and it gave CAVOK conditions. This was certainly not a case of an aircraft "appearing suddenly out of clouds" as the eyewitness(es) stated.

I am sick of such unnecessary, tragic incidents

I quess we all are. But I can not think of a solution which would not lead to an outcry among the lightplane/-helicopter societies because it would either mean retrofitting costly avionics or implementing even more controlled airspace.

Bell_ringer
24th Jan 2018, 15:22
Modern TAS isn't that expensive and given the choice of a fatal accident it's quite good value.

SASless
24th Jan 2018, 15:54
I quess we all are. But I can not think of a solution which would not lead to an outcry among the lightplane/-helicopter societies because it would either mean retrofitting costly avionics or implementing even more controlled airspace.

How about something far cheaper and less involvement of the bureaucracy and just teach good Airmanship Principles.

Heads on swivels, listening to the radio and conjuring up a mental picture of what is going on around you, checking above or below you when changing altitude doing cleaning turns if need be, and just plain old paying attention to outside the cockpit.

The Rule is "See and Be Seen! See and Avoid!

Aesir
24th Jan 2018, 16:36
It seems to me in all 3 accidents, the Cabri in UK, the 412 in Spain & this now, that the airplane approached and hit from above and behind in all three cases. It is a almost impossible situation to see and avoid a target coming from that direction.

Someone mentioned a increase in inflight incursion or nearmiss. One has to wonder if the increase of electronic devices are part of the reason. It can hardly be due to more traffic since private flying is on the decline.

henra
24th Jan 2018, 17:00
Someone mentioned a increase in inflight incursion or nearmiss. One has to wonder if the increase of electronic devices are part of the reason.

They surely do help hitting someone else on the same track more precisely...

what next
24th Jan 2018, 17:32
Heads on swivels, listening to the radio and conjuring up a mental picture of what is going on around you, checking above or below you when changing altitude doing cleaning turns if need be, and just plain old paying attention to outside the cockpit.

In an ideal world maybe. But during a training flight one has to explain lots of stuff to one's student, one has to show them the position on the map, one has to show them the chart of the aerodrome and how to join the circuit. One simply can not always look outside.

Both aircraft involved in this accident were on training missions. Which means that their attention might have been drawn to other things than maintaining a perfect lookout from time to time. And we all know how difficult it can be to spot other aircraft, especially helicopters, even if one constantly looks outside.

bladegrabber
24th Jan 2018, 17:35
Aesir you stated ....It seems to me in all 3 accidents, the Cabri in UK, the 412 in Spain & this now, that the airplane approached and hit from above and behind in all three cases. It is a almost impossible situation to see and avoid a target coming from that direction.

Do you have evidence to back that up in the case of the 412 in Spain ?

B.g

Flying Bull
24th Jan 2018, 17:44
In an ideal world maybe. But during a training flight one has to explain lots of stuff to one's student, one has to show them the position on the map, one has to show them the chart of the aerodrome and how to join the circuit. One simply can not always look outside.

Both aircraft involved in this accident were on training missions. Which means that their attention might have been drawn to other things than maintaining a perfect lookout from time to time. And we all know how difficult it can be to spot other aircraft, especially helicopters, even if one constantly looks outside.

Well said, even with TCAS/ACAS on board, it´s sometimes hard to spot the traffic you know is around.....

Fareastdriver
24th Jan 2018, 18:35
A lot of fixed wing have their propellers painted with stripes so when it is running the effect is of cascading circles. A rotor assembly painted the same way would create a similar effect when viewed from above.

Very difficult to miss.

SASless
24th Jan 2018, 18:42
So what do you two suggest then....more avionics to look at INSIDE the cockpit?

Yes...as an instructor you are very busy BUT maintaining traffic separation in VFR/VMC conditions still requires you to look OUTSIDE.

Even with TCAS and other Traffic Advisory assistance....you still have to rely upon the MK I Eyeball.

Aircraft with limited over the nose visibility should not do straight ahead descents....as there might just be traffic under the nose....that is why clearing turns are taught (or were taught in the old days).

I, as all too many others have, have had some very close near misses while instructing or passing by/near uncontrolled airfields. Each time it was due to a breakdown in vigilance for any number of reasons.

It is a very large Sky out there until it is not.

Teaching is second priority to safe handling of the aircraft.

Aesir
24th Jan 2018, 20:28
Aesir you stated ....It seems to me in all 3 accidents, the Cabri in UK, the 412 in Spain & this now, that the airplane approached and hit from above and behind in all three cases. It is a almost impossible situation to see and avoid a target coming from that direction.

Do you have evidence to back that up in the case of the 412 in Spain ?

B.g

No I do not have evidence. I believe I read a discussion that it was a possible scenario. I understand that the accident happened at about 30´ agl where the 412 was lifting off and the Jungmeister coming in for landing.

I was merely speculating of the dangers of too much modern computer screens, expecially in single pilot operations, and how that could possibly lead to increase in inflight incursions as we are seeing lately. But I also entirely agree that flight instruction, as in the case of the German accident, requires that more attention inside the cockpit and it had this tragic outcome.

BluSdUp
25th Jan 2018, 01:06
The last few years I have had two cases of fixed wing GA try to nail me inbound on the ILS.
Both cases of not flowing ATC instruction and common sense.
Absolute brainless.

There is some out there that does not belong.
Unfortunately the " system" ie training and checking does not stop them.

Darwin and Murphy does , I am afraid.

Heads Up , Lights On.

Vertical Freedom
25th Jan 2018, 02:06
Rest in Piece...Brothers

Hot and Hi
25th Jan 2018, 03:57
A lot of fixed wing have their propellers painted with stripes so when it is running the effect is of cascading circles. A rotor assembly painted the same way would create a similar effect when viewed from above.

Very difficult to miss.Sitting in a fix wing above, or above and behind, you do not see the a/c below you, stripes or not.

fadecdegraded
25th Jan 2018, 06:16
I may have missed it but what type of helicopter was it and have they released the names of the Heli pilots
I have meet a few of there pilots.

QDM360
25th Jan 2018, 06:51
I may have missed it but what type of helicopter was it and have they released the names of the Heli pilots

The EC135 helicopter instructor was named as Jochen H., the head of the EMS helicopter unit in Weiden (full name here: www.otv.de/mediathek/video/grosse-trauer-um-rettungspiloten/). The name of his trainee was not released.

The names of the two Swiss Piper pilots were not released but described as a flight instructor/former airline pilot and an ATPL student, who had almost finished his course.

TorqueOfTheDevil
25th Jan 2018, 10:58
Very sad news.

I don't buy some of the points made on here ref needing to look inside during teaching - is it not basic airmanship to ensure that you are clear of other aircaft before looking in or drawing your student's attention to something in the cockpit? If, as has been reported, the aeroplane crew knew that another aircraft was close, surely everything else (ie the teaching) stops until the threat has been identified and the conflict resolved?

And why would the aeroplane continue descending, given the known blind spot ahead and below, rather than climbing or turning into an area which they could see was definitely clear?

tottigol
25th Jan 2018, 12:08

Very difficult to miss.

Matter of fact they did not miss.

Fareastdriver
25th Jan 2018, 14:02
Hot & Hi. You miss my point. Obviously if there is aircraft structure in the way you cannot see anything below you but if it is offset than it becomes visible.

I was referring to my experience doing Fighter affiliation with helicopters when I was in the military. Properly flown with the advantage of camouflage a helicopter is very difficult for a jet jockey to see. Not knowing where it is jet has to have to have a wide scan and cannot concentrate on one point where they may pick up the helicopter, similar to a look out for a civil fixed wing.

You put on one blade without any paint on it and it jumps out of the ground at you!

That is why when a pilot, fixed or rotary, looks at the ground for simple positioning then striped rotors will indicate it presence.

SASless
25th Jan 2018, 16:04
FED.

Painted rotor blade tops and tips has been around for a very long time and works....but only if someone is looking and is able to see them.

All the paint in the world will not help if no one is looking....or if their view is obstructed someway.

It all gets back to the Mk I eyeball and a proper lookout for other traffic.

Fareastdriver
25th Jan 2018, 17:24
Painted blades cost money. ????????????????????

Momoe
25th Jan 2018, 17:38
Not saying it would prevent (any) accident but would a strobe on the rotor head be of any value, with potential to add value to this with reflective strips along the rotor blades.

Get the strobe synced with the blade rpm and you would have a pretty good visual cue.

MajorLemond
25th Jan 2018, 18:12
Indeed a tragic event, but I know only too well how difficult it is
To spot traffic, even with a TCAS system displaying position and altitude information and with 3 pilots in the flight deck.

While I don't know the specifics of this event, I know helicopters can be extremely difficult to see at the best of times. It's not as easy as "just use airmanship and look out the window and you"ll see them"

As previously mentioned the aircraft still has to be operated and while a visual lookout is extremely important, it can't be done 100% of the time. Communication is a big one here and i'd be willing to bet this is a factor in this accident.

SASless
25th Jan 2018, 19:56
As previously mentioned the aircraft still has to be operated and while a visual lookout is extremely important, it can't be done 100% of the time.

Care to explain that comment?

Commonsense tells us that is correct as evidenced by a Single Pilot aircraft....at some point you do have to look inside and take care of business....but then you look back outside.

In a Three Crew Aircraft....why can one of the two Pilots (preferably the one handling the controls or tasked with controlling the flight path) not be left free to look outside at least similar to that of being a single pilot in an aircraft?

Are you advocating it is just fine to just not look out if you have something to do that takes more than just a few seconds?

How long do you "not" look out at a time and think it is safe to do so?

army_av8r
26th Jan 2018, 01:01
I completely agree that an outside scan is 100% necessary, but I also understand that no matter how good the pilot or crew, we will have lapses in our scanning. If you believe that your crew is perfect every flight, your mistaken. Having some sort of onboard traffic advisory has its merits, but it must be used as a supplement along with the eye ball. I have traffic being pumped directly in to the cockpit of my plane, and I certainly scan that display, but I use it as a quick reference, I don't stare at it. I then use its display to correlate traffic outside, and build that mental picture
. I understand that my crew and I are fallible, and we do our best, but I show up to the game with the understanding that we may never be perfect, even though we try. Please use all available resources, technology, and old school airmanship to be as safe as possible. Report accurate position information, only change flight path after clearing, and if you know traffic exists, put lateral or vertical separation between you and the threat.

Mike

John Eacott
26th Jan 2018, 03:16
As FED says, one odd coloured blade will stand out like the dogs proverbials whereas evenly spaced bands of colour are not so obvious. The flicker effect will attract attention even when one is not looking directly at the rotors.

Moorabbin Airport has a 700’ Helicopter circuit height vs 1,000’ for fixed wing following a mid air many, many years ago when a FW let down onto a helicopter in identical conditions to all these fatal accidents being discussed. The problem is by no means a new one and ‘corporate knowledge ‘ often diminishes and has to be re-learned.

Non-PC Plod
26th Jan 2018, 07:31
It would be interesting to know whether TCAS was in use by either aircraft. I am a big fan, because I would not be sitting here if it wasnt for that little box of tricks (I would be splatted on the front of a crab fast jet which never knew I was there).

Yes, you still need to visuallly acquire the other aircraft with a TA, but at least you know your relative altitudes (assuming both are squawking mode C). That gives you some idea of where to look, and the urgency to move out of the way.

MajorLemond
26th Jan 2018, 17:45
Care to explain that comment?

Commonsense tells us that is correct as evidenced by a Single Pilot aircraft....at some point you do have to look inside and take care of business....but then you look back outside.

In a Three Crew Aircraft....why can one of the two Pilots (preferably the one handling the controls or tasked with controlling the flight path) not be left free to look outside at least similar to that of being a single pilot in an aircraft?

Are you advocating it is just fine to just not look out if you have something to do that takes more than just a few seconds?

Calm down old mate, you'll throw your back out (although by reading through your previous comments I reckon you've already done it)

Well back at ya; Are YOU advocating that a "few seconds" is acceptable? How long is a few seconds? 2...7? Where do you draw the line? It seems to me like you are a bit out of touch with the reality of operating an aircraft (which is good because you totally should not fly with back pain)

Your "MK1 eyeball" isn't perfect, and neither is anyone else's for that matter. You could scan out the window 100% of the time and not pick an aircraft up until it is too late. We do our best, but that's reality.

SASless
26th Jan 2018, 18:35

I notice you ignored a reasonable question.

Care to explain how long you think it is fine not to look outside when VFR/VMC?

Of course there are weaknesses of the ol' eyeball...but not looking out really does negate what usefulness it does allow....or did I miss something in all those years of flying?

In your three crew operation how do you divide Cockpit duties that would required all three to be focused inside for very long?

At altitude in cruise...knowing the eye's inability to focus much beyond the nose of the aircraft...and the closing rates of Jet Aircraft....it is hard to see other traffic until too late. Add in obstructions to vision and it gets more difficult yet.

In a terminal area during approach in VFR/VMC conditions where there is a lot of traffic it would seem self preservation would suggest keeping as sharp a lookout as possible would sound acceptable to you.

Fareastdriver
26th Jan 2018, 20:25
keeping as sharp a lookout as possible

Also listening to the ATC traffic so you have an idea of who is going where and when.

Evalu8ter
27th Jan 2018, 09:17
Non PC-Plod,
TCAS, TAS, FLARM, ADS-B et al are all valuable SA tools. None, however, can replace a good, thorough look-out scan. In fact, they can degrade lookout by giving the operator a false sense of security or causing distraction (eg, looking at a contact that has already declared and therefore not scanning the arc where the danger is coming from). None of these systems are 100% effective - far from it in Open FIR where the vast majority of non-electronically co-operative traffic is (ultra/microlights, GA, paragliders etc). Crews can also forget to make the appropriate settings (especially on Xpdrs) or be unaware that the kit isn't working as advertised - a C130J and C27J collided at night in the US thinking they were both protected by TCAS (one of the systems was faulty). GAPAN (as was) commissioned a study to identify the MAC risk, and therefore S2A requirements, for RPAS operating in UK airspace, but it has relevance for manned operations as this was the measure. One comment is revealing - "Flying in VMC around aerodromes and glider sites in Class G airspace below 3000ft was much more risky than flying at night, in IMC and in controlled airspace. It was not difficult to see why. The sky at night was much less crowded than it was by day; and GA aircraft, gliders and micro-lights were rarely flown then. Even in the military, those pilots flying at night did so more procedurally, more sedately, using a visual-instrument flying mix even when flying under VFR. Through both regulation and sensible practice, in general, pilots flying at night, and in controlled airspace, and in IMC, tended to be more experienced, and tended to fly more extensively equipped aircraft, more predictably and often more procedurally, to tighter tolerances, under higher levels of radar service, with better self- illumination (both by lights and by electronic means) than pilots operating under VFR by day." The full study is here - it contains some interesting facts and statistics. https://www.airpilots.org/file/737/sense-and-avoid-safety-level-requirements-for-unmanned-and-remotely-piloted-aircraft.pdf

Hot and Hi
27th Jan 2018, 15:43
... much more risky than flying at night, in IMC and in controlled airspace. It was not difficult to see why. Plus aircrafts' strobes and navigation lights contrast well against the dark sky - moving aircraft easy to acquire.

27th Jan 2018, 16:26
It is an interesting report - shame they couldn't see an obvious reason for less airprox reports from Mil aircraft between 1998 and 2008, perhaps they could have considered where a lot of mil aircraft were being flown for a lot of that period, and it wasn't UK:ok:

Hot and Hi
28th Jan 2018, 16:24
In our neck of the woods, in uncontrolled airspace we heavily rely on pilots making regular radio calls (position and intention reports). This has proven to work relatively well, at least outside the pattern. Away from the airfield, pilots tend to avoid reported traffic by a wide margin, and/or making arrangement with conflicting traffic to the same effect.

In the pattern the perceived restrictions in going higher or lower, or left or right, make people become more stubbornly stick to their planned trajectory. And then the lack of precision in reporting the exact position, combined with the lacking ability of most or all humans to create a perfect dynamic mental picture sometimes catches us out.

TCAS, TAS, FLARM, ADS-B et al are all valuable SA tools. None, however, can replace a good, thorough look-out scan. In fact, they can degrade lookout by giving the operator a false sense of security or causing distractionThanks, Evalu8ter, and also echoed by many others here and in other threats. And who wants to disagree.

But it can also be the other way around. I just came back from a 1 hr flight in a busy weekend GA airspace. During the course of this flight, I made half a dozen of arrangements with other airspace users going to the same aerodrome that I intended flying over, or flying in opposite direction, to achieve or maintain 500 FT vertical separation, or similar. All based on blind radio calls, and thereafter both parties' mental determination that this might constitute "conflicting traffic".

To my total shame I must admit that despite my best endeavours I did not visually acquire a single of those other aircraft that I 'negotiated' with. We could as well all have been in a cloud, with the same satisfactory outcome. (Before somebody asks, I hold a recent Class 1 medical, and my - corrected - eye sight is well above 100%). :sad:

So how good would have been my chances to visually acquire traffic that I wasn't even aware of and expecting?

29th Jan 2018, 08:07
Hot and Hi - that is exactly the reality tablet that some of those who are convinced it is all about a 'fighter-pilot' level of lookout need to take.

Small, slow moving aircraft are just very difficult to see - big stuff or fast pointy stuff is much easier to notice.

ANYTHING that helps you detect a conflicting or potentially conflicting aircraft is a good thing - even with the false alarms such systems can give.

Those that think the Mk1 eyeball is enough have probably missed hundreds of potential conflicts in the past but just don't know it.

A colleague was saved by TAS just last week when a light FW nearly went straight through their 2-ship RW formation - it came from behind so the best lookout in the world wouldn't have saved them. TAS allowed them to detect and avoid.

TorqueOfTheDevil
29th Jan 2018, 08:40
In our neck of the woods, in uncontrolled airspace we heavily rely on pilots making regular radio calls (position and intention reports). This has proven to work relatively well, at least outside the pattern. Away from the airfield, pilots tend to avoid reported traffic by a wide margin, and/or making arrangement with conflicting traffic to the same effect.

In the pattern the perceived restrictions in going higher or lower, or left or right, make people become more stubbornly stick to their planned trajectory. And then the lack of precision in reporting the exact position, combined with the lacking ability of most or all humans to create a perfect dynamic mental picture sometimes catches us out.

Thanks, Evalu8ter, and also echoed by many others here and in other threats. And who wants to disagree.

But it can also be the other way around. I just came back from a 1 hr flight in a busy weekend GA airspace. During the course of this flight, I made half a dozen of arrangements with other airspace users going to the same aerodrome that I intended flying over, or flying in opposite direction, to achieve or maintain 500 FT vertical separation, or similar. All based on blind radio calls, and thereafter both parties' mental determination that this might constitute "conflicting traffic".

To my total shame I must admit that despite my best endeavours I did not visually acquire a single of those other aircraft that I 'negotiated' with. We could as well all have been in a cloud, with the same satisfactory outcome. (Before somebody asks, I hold a recent Class 1 medical, and my - corrected - eye sight is well above 100%). :sad:

So how good would have been my chances to visually acquire traffic that I wasn't even aware of and expecting?

All entirely valid (and no shame at all IMHO). I have also been amazed how hard it can be to acquire visually an aircraft which I know is there based on TAS or R/T. But this is not quite the same situation as the accident under discussion, where (we are told) the aircraft were aware of each other yet the aeroplane still managed to plough into the helicopter. On the occasions when I am struggling to see another aircraft which I know is close, I make sure I am pointing at a piece of sky which is definitely empty. So far, this has always worked...

SASless
29th Jan 2018, 10:42
Those that think the Mk1 eyeball is enough have probably missed hundreds of potential conflicts in the past but just don't know it.

Who has advocated that?

The Mk I eyeball is the basic method of detecting and avoiding traffic in VMC/VFR conditions beginning with the dawn of aviation and remains so today.

Everything else like TCAS and other aids....assist that Mk I eyeball.

As Hot and Hi notes....those secondary methods may prevent the MK I method being successful but none the less he was looking outside trying to see the traffic.

If none of the additional methods, equipment, or services exist....what do you do to achieve traffic separation in the end.....look outside of course or gamble blindly relying upon the small aircraft big sky method?

cattletruck
29th Jan 2018, 11:50
Everything else like TCAS and other aids....assist that Mk I eyeball.

Jumpseating in a B747 over Russia, the three of us are looking out the window for a stray airliner about to encroach our path while the radio is going bananas. Capt spots plane and points it out, doesn't complete his sentence when he says the TCAS will go off. Although positive visual separation is maintained and the RA followed, I thought it a bit slow for the B747 to actually begin to react to the command.

Another place and time was heading downtown for some orbits of the CBD and was told by the tower to do left hand orbits. On my left about a mile away was a big yellow blimp doing the same thing at same altitude. Thought I had the speed (bad assumption in a H300) and some time to peruse the scenery only to look left again and notice that big fat blimp had quickly snuck right up to me and was really moving (tailwind). Flicked the little H300 hard left and went behind that big yellow bag of gas.

And yet another place and time, had a FW training hack catch on fire just after takeoff. Turning around in a smoked filled cabin, flying "blind-ish" and powerless straight through the RW training area to line up on a non-duty RWY, it then very nearly turned into a collision with a landing FW because ATC had been distracted by the event happening too quickly.

handysnaks
29th Jan 2018, 12:37
It is sadly typical of pprune these days, that we can even manage to make a subject on which we all broadly agree (that it can be busy out there, and we ought to use all the facilities available to us, Mk1 eyeball, crew co-operation, TCAS/TCAD, ATC, blind calls, etc. To avoid 'physical interaction' with another aircraft). And turn it into an 'I'm more right than you are' discussion. Surely if we are going to learn from incidents like the one in the OP, it's about encouraging good practice generally and not about personal point scoring?

29th Jan 2018, 12:38
If none of the additional methods, equipment, or services exist....what do you do to achieve traffic separation in the end.....look outside of course or gamble blindly relying upon the small aircraft big sky method?
great idea unless the traffic (as with my colleague and the UK crash) is coming at you from above and behind (can't think of any helicopters with visibility that way) so unless you select A-10 mode and never have the wings level, your only hope is electronic assistance.

rotorrookie
29th Jan 2018, 14:51
the FW involved in this accident was a PA-28 Cherokee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ2PCkvEtY8

I have few hours in one of those and I always hated it for limited forward down view, see in the video I linked.
Knowing one of the pilots on the EC-135 and flew with him few times in formation involving 2 or 3 helicopters I know he had very good situational awareness and was very precautious pilot. :( RIP Chris

I think part of the problem of more frequent near misses or mid-air collisions lately is due to lack in radio/communication professionalism or discipline.
At least in my part of the world, and we have had more of these reports coming in and I've had more of incidents or almost incident in the last 2-3 years than in the 15 years before.
Is it because we have children that where trained by children that are teaching children to fly today? .... little or no experience is begin passed on.
At least today I try to avoid small fixed wing traffic in the air more than ever before.

SASless
29th Jan 2018, 17:39
Crab,

You over look that "rule" applies to the over taking aircraft as well as the one being overtaken.

For sure unless we have eyes in the back of our heads and the ability to see around the airframe....checking Six is a bit hard.

Nice bright Strobe Lights and brightly colored airframes with hi-vis painted rotor blades are about the best we can do along with TCAS and other aids.

30th Jan 2018, 05:32
Crab,

You over look that "rule" applies to the over taking aircraft as well as the one being overtaken.

For sure unless we have eyes in the back of our heads and the ability to see around the airframe....checking Six is a bit hard.

Nice bright Strobe Lights and brightly colored airframes with hi-vis painted rotor blades are about the best we can do along with TCAS and other aids.

I'm not overlooking any rules - if the overtaking aircraft can't see the one ahead (often because it is slightly below) then all the strobes and coloured blades in the world won't help.

In modern aviation, transponders and TAS/TCAS should be mandatory, even in class G - as we are seeing more MAC, lookout (good as it is) is often not enough.

SASless
30th Jan 2018, 10:45
as we are seeing more MAC, lookout (good as it is) is often not enough.

Perhaps that Lookout needs to be improved....so the question might be why is that?

Pilot technique, complexity of the cockpits, cockpit workload, flaws in training?

With the number of MAC's in the past month or so....something is wrong!

30th Jan 2018, 18:18
Perhaps that Lookout needs to be improved....so the question might be why is that?

Pilot technique, complexity of the cockpits, cockpit workload, flaws in training?
probably all of those areas plus many more, not least of which is more congested airspace.

GA, whether flying for pleasure or learning/instruction, is forced into fewer areas with other (perhaps incompatible) airspace users (gliders and microlights vs Cessnas and Robbies for example) for a variety of reasons, one of which will be that the relatively low costs of GA have encouraged many more people into the air.

As I have alluded to before, the most dangerous time is a good weather day either just before or just after Winter when the whole world launches airborne.

Maybe we now have to treat other aviators as I was advised many years ago to treat other drivers on the road - assume they are all idiots out to kill you and plan accordingly!

Same again
30th Jan 2018, 20:21
Anyone who has been flying for a while will have noticed that the younger generation of glass cockpit helicopter pilots spend far more time with their eyes inside than outside. Programming the FMS, selecting various displays and auto-pilot functions are but a few distractions. They rarely have to fly manually these days so seem to have to find things to do. Now we have introduced the iPad into the mixture.

Add to that more traffic and - TCAS or not - I fear that mid-air collisions will become far more common.

30th Jan 2018, 20:24
Maybe they should learn from the older generation, fairly recently converted to glass cockpit - use the upper modes and FMS and let the aircraft fly itself while you look out of the window to avoid bumping into things:ok:

SASless
30th Jan 2018, 20:55
assume they are all idiots out to kill you and plan accordingly!

So long as each of us include ourselves in the "Idiot" Category e then I fully agree!:ok:

Flying Bull
30th Jan 2018, 22:07
Anyone who has been flying for a while will have noticed that the younger generation of glass cockpit helicopter pilots spend far more time with their eyes inside than outside. Programming the FMS, selecting various displays and auto-pilot functions are but a few distractions. They rarely have to fly manually these days so seem to have to find things to do. Now we have introduced the iPad into the mixture.

Add to that more traffic and - TCAS or not - I fear that mid-air collisions will become far more common.

Only the ones, mostly elderly pilots, which donˋt like new Technology, need more time cause they are not used to and not willing to learn properly.

If you do your homework, i.e. installing and using the training Apps and videos provided and get Producern, you actually save time, cause you donˋt have to look up i.e. frequencies, approaches and so on.
You donˋt have to listen to morsecode anymore to identify VORs i.e., cause the Information is on the screen.
You donˋt have to look inside for aircraft limits, cause you get a warning approaching any or have all the information right in front of you and not splattered around an ancient cockpit.
Lotˋs of gadgets to make life easy, so you can look out and enjoy the flight.
Holding entry, done in seconds, no need to think about which entry to use, no need for calculating time and heading corrections, all done by the computer....
But you have to know your system, where which menue is to be found....

But I also see your point, cause I fly in a MultiCrewCockpit and had the experience, when ATC ordered an hold over a reporting point (Field IMC with a couple airliners approaching, while we were VMC)
I could have flown that by hand but asked my Co to set a holding.
After minutes it still wasnˋt programmed, so I let him look out and had set it up in 5 seconds by myself....
I really like my Garmin ;-)
If you have an iPad, look for Garmin GTN Trainer von Garmin DCI
And Flying the Garmin GTN650/750 von Flight Training Apps, Inc.
and you might understand why

31st Jan 2018, 05:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN41LvuSz10Flying Bull - you may have seen a video called 'Children of the Magenta' - it describes one of the problems with reliance on automation, specifically the type of scenario you mention.

This is where the pre-planned FMS route is suddenly changed (by ATC instruction for example) - instead of adjusting the flightpath simply by hand, the crew go heads in and start punching buttons - often with some delay to the required route change, and often degrading lookout significantly.

Some of us oldies converted to glass cockpit quite easily and find the automation easy to manage, knowing you can always 'fly-through' if the computer doesn't do what you wanted it to do (or does the wrong thing you asked it to do in error:))

Sas - I always assume I will make mistakes and make allowances for it!

Flying Bull
31st Jan 2018, 07:44
Oh yes, was also shown on the typerating course.
Some truth in it, but actually by now, the Autopilot has an emergency function, a button pressed twice will stabilise the helicopter with upper modis heading, ALT and speed, so if you get really disorientated, it will save your butt - unless you fly into something.
But, I think you have to admit, the work changed and we have to adopt.
From flyingskills to System Manager. We still need flyingskills, but most of the time now we have to organize and manage systems. And if you do it by time you now have plenty of time to enjoy the view!
With altering directions from ATC, hey, they are there to help you, nothing easier than saying: unable to comply, give me an inital heading and so on.
Many pilots take everything from ATC as an order - but you can always inform them about your situation, request a different solution!!!!

31st Jan 2018, 08:20
With altering directions from ATC, hey, they are there to help you, nothing easier than saying: unable to comply, give me an inital heading and so on.
Many pilots take everything from ATC as an order - but you can always inform them about your situation, request a different solution!!!! Not sure that always works in busy controlled airspace or following IFR routes/procedures. All very well if you have a problem/technical issue but not if you are slaved to the VMS instead of adjusting course manually and then catching up with the nav kit:ok:

Flying Bull
31st Jan 2018, 08:37
You‘re right so far, that normaly you should comply - beeing well ahead of the bird.
But getting caught out, it won‘t necessarily reduce your workload start flying by hand, just keep the option to ask for time/directions in mind, before getting even further behind...
As well, with the AP doing the work, you have also the option to reduce speed i.e. from120 to 60 - which will double the availabe time ;-)

TorqueOfTheDevil
31st Jan 2018, 13:23
As well, with the AP doing the work, you have also the option to reduce speed i.e. from120 to 60 - which will double the availabe time ;-)

Not if the threat is coming from behind you!

And all this talk of using the automatics to manoeuvre concerns me - as we have already seen recently, there are times when a positive manual manoeuvre can save the day when a gentle input by the kit doesn't.

Flying Bull
31st Jan 2018, 14:36
Not if the threat is coming from behind you!

And all this talk of using the automatics to manoeuvre concerns me - as we have already seen recently, there are times when a positive manual manoeuvre can save the day when a gentle input by the kit doesn't.

Well, we started off with lookout - and there automatics can give you much more time for just that.
Straight and level i.e. with altitude restrictions, you just press ALT and don´t have to check as often, as while flying hands on, especially in bumpy conditions...
Same with speed, automatics give you the all the speed the bird is capable off without exceeding limits - and you just monitor with a glance and then look out again.
There you might see a conflicting target much earlier, so that a tweak of the heading bug might be sufficant - nobody says, you should avoid close calls by using the AP....
But play around in advance to know wether you have to disconnect - or an override will just work as well, bringing the bird back onto heading when releasing the stick....
It´s all down to knowing your bird in and out so you can decide between the options available.