PDA

View Full Version : Russia Visa

oxenos
21st Jan 2018, 13:31
We are looking at a Russian river cruise. The tour operator says a Russian visa is required, which involves a visit to a Russian Embassy and a comprehensive questionnaire.I don't want to pay out on a cruise booking and then find there are visa problems, and having been a cold war warrior ('60-'80), I wonder if this causes issues in obtaining a visa.
Anyone got any good/bad experiences on this?

matkat
21st Jan 2018, 14:11
I had a Russian visa a couple of years back but never had to attend any embassy.Also I was also a cold war warrior.

A_Van
21st Jan 2018, 14:12
Sir,

I can only say almost for sure that "cold war warrior" means nothing, don't worry. Sadly that they (Russian bureaucracy) sometime mirror behaviour of the British embassy in Mocow, which is really tough in issuing entry visa to UK and waiting time is measured out in months.

Also, there should be local agencies/middlemen that help avoid in person visit to the embassy.

Hope it works out OK with you!

Whizz Bang
21st Jan 2018, 14:13
Why not just apply for the Visa first?

chopper2004
21st Jan 2018, 14:29
[QUOTE=Whizz Bang;10026768]Why not just apply for the Visa first?[

Yep my first thoughts ...I went to Heli Russia ...registered for Show, got invitiation lette / email from the organisers . Armed with this went to Russian embassy with passport and email plus passport photos....sat with the pretty blonde she did the formals , 24hours later was approved and had a mini passport with my passport lol

Cost me 100 Eur for the whole lot.

If this helps

https://russian-visa.org.uk/vouchers-and-invitations/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZHTBRCBARIsAMbXLhErHEz1drkWwX9mGoYUoSmQfk9dQ wI3ZT8gfLyzRSly0iRXgvOImuwaAlQVEALw_wcB

Cheers

Pontius Navigator
21st Jan 2018, 14:29
A friend of mine, entering Russia for the first time :) was greeted with "Welcome back Mr Bond*"

*name changed to protect the guilty.

Heathrow Harry
21st Jan 2018, 15:10
Van is correct , Russians are given a VERY hard time by the British Embassy so they reciprocate. I'd apply as soon as you can for that reason.

On arrival it's like the USA- sometimes it's hell other times a breeze......... I think they prefer you to be formal & correct. I'd keep a photocopy of yr passport on you in case yr asked for "papers" which seems to be in the official DNA

VMD+12
21st Jan 2018, 16:12
You will have to book the cruise first as you will need proof of tickets or a letter of invitation before you apply for the visa. Do it as soon as you can because it always takes longer in the summer months. Your tour company should provide help and advice as obviously most of their customers (unless you are booking direct with a Russian company) have to have visas so they would not have a business if the pax could not get them. Do not worry about the cold war.

Heathrow Harry
21st Jan 2018, 17:22
I've always found older Russians appreciate recognition of their efforts in The Great Patriotic War.................

ORAC
21st Jan 2018, 17:50
Hype up your past and if you’re lucky they might try a honey trap.....

Seriously, sister has a British and Irish passport and when planning visit to Leningrad and Hermitage went to fill in online Russian visa form. Entered British as nationality and was presented with 10-12 page form asking for details of every overseas trip with dates and places for last 10 years. Switched to Irish as nationality and form dropped to 2 pages with basic passport details.

Conclusion - find an Irish ancestor.....

Pontius Navigator
21st Jan 2018, 18:38
ORAC, my mother was Irish, how do I go from there?

grobbling about
21st Jan 2018, 19:20
Oxenos, Mrs GA, GA Jr and I have just come back from a weekend in Moscow. You do need, as VMD says, the letter of invitation. Our Moscow hotel provided it by e-mail overnight. The application is tedious requiring details of old passports and any countries ever visited! As, for some reason I don't have 2 of my old passports, I may have been a bit economical with the truth and also only declared country visits visible in the passports that would be sent off. The application is filled in online. Apparently it reflects the US requirements imposed on Russian visitors to the States. The application does ask if you have served in the armed forces, rank etc which I answered truthfully. Armed with passports (valid for 6 months after planned departure from Russia),printed copies and photos we visited the visa office in London where we didn't have to wait long before being invited to the front desk. Forms inspected, errors identified and pointed towards the bank of computers to correct, at additional cost for computer time and reprints. Second attempt accepted, credit card stung and sent off to the embassy for a week's turn around. Passports returned as expected with visas as promised. Expensive, time consuming and like you I was worried about actually receiving the visa, however we really enjoyed the visit.

5aday
21st Jan 2018, 21:46
My whole crew were detained at Moscow (SVO) because half of the cabin were not on the 'water guard' list and we had diverted from a Narita - Anchorage when the volcano erupted and KLM
had the glider. I went back on board and took 600 cigarettes from the d/f bar and dropped them behind Ivan who suddenly decided we could enter. A 747 crew from LHR arrived about three hours later (pax on a short haul flight) but Ivan and his mates would not let the our cabin crew check back in on our diverted flight to LHR and they had to stay overnight. Very very beaurocratic. The purpose of this? - stay on their good side and if necessary Bribe and Bribe again.

A_Van
22nd Jan 2018, 06:52
.... and if necessary Bribe and Bribe again.

I strongly recommend to be quite careful with such advices and avoid doing that. Situation with such corrupted low-level bureaucats is changing rapidly (also because nowadays their activities are recorded all over). E.g., some 10, even 5 years ago many succeeded to "settle the case" with road police "on the spot at half price" to avoid fines, but now it is much more likely to face serious criminal charges in the court for such an "offer".

roving
22nd Jan 2018, 08:03
Back in the good old days, prior to 2000, there was a charming Russian lady at the Russian Consulate in Edinburgh. No queues. Visa applications were a breeze.

Then 12 years or so ago, it all became much more difficult. Possibly the quid pro quo for the difficulties Russians experienced in Moscow attempting the near impossible task of applying for a tourist visa to visit fortress Britain.

European nationals from Schengen Treaty countries probably find it much easier.

Part of the problem in Britain is that unlike some countries, we only "count them in" and do not "count them out". So at any one time the Home Office has no idea how many foreign nationals there are in Britain. Secondly there are no restrictions on where visitors travel to or stay with Britain. In Russia visitors have to be registered with the authorities by the hotels they stay in.

As has been commented using a reputable online agency to obtain the visa support makes it easier but the service is expensive. It used to be said that a Business Visa opened doors much quicker.

I have not been to Russia since 2006 so I am not current, but it used to be much quicker to pass through immigration at Domodedovo than standing in line at Sheremetyevo, which is probably nearly as bad as Luton in the high holiday season.

ORAC
22nd Jan 2018, 08:50

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

https://www.dfa.ie/irelanduk-citizenshipandpassports/

A_Van
22nd Jan 2018, 09:13
roving,

Your observations are correct. BTW, Sheremetyevo is now much more comfortable (including passport control) than it was some 5-10 years ago.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Jan 2018, 10:27
Sheremetyovo used to be a bit different. I got stuck there with a 4 hour delay over lunchtime waiting for a London flight in 1991. Thinking I'd get something to eat and drink I found that the solitary cafe was closed - for lunch! My Russian hosts who were seeing me off had been inured to this sort of thing through years of Soviet control and weren't in the least surprised. As my hostess said - "Well the staff have to eat, dont they?" :ugh:

I rather think things are a bit different now.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jan 2018, 19:49
ORAC, soi I am Irish to be sure to be sure to be sure, thank you.

Heathrow Harry
23rd Jan 2018, 10:12
you have to use a green typeface..............

Stupidbutsaveable
23rd Jan 2018, 21:56
3 visas since summer 2016. A little more paperwork than ideal but smooth admin. Relax and go with it. Points:
A letter of invitation is important but easy. All hotels or tour operators will provide, often by return email. Get them to confirm which ref to use on the visa application. If you have not booked a hotel before applying for the visa a local company will send a generic invite to the city. Google will find one. A little leap of faith required. We did that for a white nights week in St Petersburg.
I used the Manchester office. In and out the building inside 15 minutes. Passport and visa by registered mail inside 7 days. London is busier but very well organised; have used them for my two work visas.
On arrival you need to register with the local immigration office. Sounds daunting but hotels, even the small lodging houses will do this for you. Check with them before you go.
One note of caution if you plan to tour independently ; you should reregister in each town.
I also only gave details of current plus last expired passport and only listed visits with passport stamps plus a couple of Euro holidays with approximate dates.
I declared full mil history including Kosovo. No problems or follow up questions.
They now also want more family details and info about social media accounts. That I refused to give with suitable selection of the 'correct' drop down option.
St Petersburg is a great city. We were there the week of the England vs Russia football but despite all the anti-Russian media frenzy the locals were without exception friendly and good humoured. Expensive by Russian standards but still very reasonable if you avoid the trendy clubs with black mercs parked nearby. Food and drink superb, everywhere immaculate and enough culture for an Activia addict. Have fun.

strake
24th Jan 2018, 14:23

1. Fill in forms for Foreign Birth Registration online. Pay €278.

2. Send nauseating amount of documents to Irish Embassy

3. Wait ten months for receipt of FBR

4. Fill in forms for passport online. Pay €80.

5. Send all the documents you sent before plus FBR to Irish Embassy

6. Wait two months for receipt of passport.

Above based on getting my daughter her FBR/passport (applied December 2016 received passport last week) - and I am an Irish Citizen.

ORAC
24th Jan 2018, 14:59
That’s the problem with the current rush of applications. They had to set up and man a new department just to handle the new applicants. Thankfully I got mine about 40 years ago when it cheaper - and faster.

ITAR/ dual nationality issues did cause hassle though - and a role in more than one project.

Fishtailed
25th Jan 2018, 23:41
OXENOS, Go for it, Mrs. F and I had a great trip two years ago on a river cruise from Moscow to St P. You do need to have the trip booked first but there is no problem with the visas, we used CIBT for the visas and we didn't need to go to the embassy, just their office. The whole holiday was marvellous, the russians are so friendly and keen to show thier country, warts and all.

ian16th
26th Jan 2018, 06:17
The application is tedious requiring details of old passports and any countries ever visited!

This could be a problem for dual passport holders, who have used different passports at different times to avoid Israeli visas in passports used for Arab countries, etc.