PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Lab NZ

troppo
21st Jan 2018, 06:25
Good effort.
Blast off! Rocket Lab successfully reaches orbit on second attempt - NZ Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11979201)

Jetex_Jim
21st Jan 2018, 06:52
What a great video.

And great audio, wonderful 'tearing calico' sound as she takes off.

Ascend Charlie
21st Jan 2018, 07:41
Yung Fat Wun will be worried that the Kiwis will be the next threat.

Jetex_Jim
21st Jan 2018, 12:38
https://www.ft.com/content/41572f8a-fe4d-11e7-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5

The Electron rocket is disposable. It is made of lightweight carbon composite material and has 3D-printed engines to reduce costs and assembly times. It is 17m long, roughly a quarter of the size of rivals such as SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket, which can carry satellites the size of a van into orbit. Each Rocket Lab launch costs about $5m, compared to $62m for SpaceX, the company founded by billionaire Elon Musk.

VP959
21st Jan 2018, 12:51
This reminds me of a demo of an upgrade the Kiwis had fitted to their old P3 Orions, many years ago. They were being "encouraged" by Lockheed to upgrade their ageing fleets sonar systems, specifically the old paper trace sonobuoy system with much more up to date kit, at a very substantial cost.

IIRC, they teamed up with an NZ university, who fitted some standard DSP boards to an industrial PC and wrote the software to both control the receivers and do all the signal processing and displays, using off-the-shelf common PC parts. The system out-performed the costly upgrade and was a fraction of the price. I remember chatting to one the the RNZAF guys and him saying they could pretty much buy cheap spares straight off the internet, as nothing was bespoke except the software.

The ingenuity of the Kiwis in spending very little money and coming up with such a capable system seriously impressed everyone that saw it, with the possible exception of Lockheed.

packapoo
21st Jan 2018, 20:57
Been hanging on the corner of my computer screen for a while awaiting this.

Absolutely worthwhile. What a ride it was.

Had not expected what they delivered.....far in excess of what I had hoped to view.

Well done to all involved, looking forward to future launches.

tartare
21st Jan 2018, 21:19
Amazing... what an extraordinary result.
One smull stip for mun...

troppo
22nd Jan 2018, 01:48
Amazing... what an extraordinary result.
One smull stip for mun...

Hahaha :D
Another comedienne.
During the countdown I was waiting for tun, nun, aye, suven, sux

tartare
22nd Jan 2018, 02:00
Aye.
I loved hearing kiwi accents saying things like `maximum dynamic pressure' and `vehicle performance nominal' - usually delivered in a Texan drawl.
But the best bit was `Auckland mission control!'
And I speak as a proud kiwi, now resident in the great, sunburnt west island...

troppo
22nd Jan 2018, 02:02
Yeah. We're allowed to give ourselves shut. ;)

WingNut60
22nd Jan 2018, 02:23
ABC TV News (Australia) now reporting "An American Company has launched .............."

Guv um shut thin leds.

tartare
22nd Jan 2018, 03:24
Now they just have to man rate the thing. ;)
Ground control to Major Dagg...

troppo
22nd Jan 2018, 03:26
ABC TV News (Australia) now reporting "An American Company has launched .............."

Guv um shut thin leds.

Indeed. Kind of like the Phar Lap, pavlova and Russell Crowe arguments. Everyone knows they are kiwi creations. :E

tartare
22nd Jan 2018, 03:53
Hmmm...

Rocket Lab founder Peter Beck hinted on Monday that the company placed a fourth payload into orbit, but would not say who it belonged to or what its purpose was.

Maybe a little something for our friends in Piptea House?
Defence have been after increased X-band capacity for years...

WingNut60
22nd Jan 2018, 04:42
Indeed. Kind of like the Phar Lap, pavlova and Russell Crowe arguments. Everyone knows they are kiwi creations. :E

And Joe Bjelke-Petersen, Barnaby Joyce and most of the bikie gang leaders in Australia.

tartare
22nd Jan 2018, 07:31
And Joe Bjelke-Petersen, Barnaby Joyce and most of the bikie gang leaders in Australia.

Yeah - right.
I raise you Pauline Hanson, Eric Abetz - and I don't think my adopted country can be too precious about criminals.
And I think it's spelt Joh...

B Fraser
22nd Jan 2018, 07:55
Fintustic, wull din !

:}

Dan_Brown
22nd Jan 2018, 08:17
Word in the paddock is, part of the next payload maybe a sheep.

Impress to inflate
22nd Jan 2018, 10:08
Choice Cuz, Nek Minute is was in space bro :D

cattletruck
22nd Jan 2018, 10:13
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they done this mean feat wearing jandels.

Blacksheep
22nd Jan 2018, 12:54
The ingenuity of the Kiwis in spending very little money and coming up with such a capable system seriously impressed everyone...After working with lots of Kiwis in Borneo I know exactly how good Kiwis are at making things work for very little outlay. One of them used to scrounge bits of broken down Landrovers from the Jabatan Kerajaan (i.e. Minstry of Public Works) scrapyard. He turned out several serviceable but undocumented Landrovers and shipped them home to Nuh Zilland for unregistered use on farms.

oldchina
22nd Jan 2018, 14:26
At least the taxpayers are not being fleeced

packapoo
22nd Jan 2018, 20:18
While sitting back knocking off a coldy from their chully bun....

Hydromet
22nd Jan 2018, 20:31
I suspect a lot of the Kiwi ingenuity comes from the need, in the post-war years, to keep old cars running, because if you didn't have overseas currency, you couldn't buy a new one. Well done, East Islanders.

May we expect to see a Cuban missile in the near future, based on the development of the same skills?

Octane
22nd Jan 2018, 20:56
Sadly, the company is now US owned :-(

https://www.rocketlabusa.com

troppo
22nd Jan 2018, 21:48
I wonder if they would have a sense of humour if someone filled out this page as Kim Jong Un.
https://www.rocketlabusa.com/book-my-launch/
:E

TWT
22nd Jan 2018, 22:12
As a West Islander, a big 'Well Done' to my Kiwi neighbours ! Very impressive.

Octane
23rd Jan 2018, 00:29
TWT,

I find it odd the Kiwi's are doing it but why the heck not Australia? They had a world class facility at Woomera decades ago and I believe a lot of infrastructure is still there?

TWT
23rd Jan 2018, 01:36
It's depressing Octane.

I suspect there's too many politicians involved and great many more embuggerances in the way. Just look at GA in Oz.

The Kiwis seem to be able to get things done without so much interference and they do things in efficient ways. There's no 'vision' anymore in Oz. The Snowy Mountains Scheme was the last project which involved looking ahead 50 or 100 years (I could be wrong about that though)

WingNut60
23rd Jan 2018, 01:49
It's depressing Octane.

I suspect there's too many politicians involved and great many more embuggerances in the way. Just look at GA in Oz.

The Kiwis seem to be able to get things done without so much interference and they do things in efficient ways. There's no 'vision' anymore in Oz. The Snowy Mountains Scheme was the last project which involved looking ahead 50 or 100 years (I could be wrong about that though)

Today, unless a prominent politician can put his name to it, it doesn't get done.
Panem et circenses - Look on my works all ye mighty..........

TWT
23rd Jan 2018, 02:15
Wellcamp Airport is the only recent example of a project getting done despite political interference that I can recall. Well done Wagners !

P.S. This thread is about an incredible achievement in New Zealand, not 'what could have been' in Oz. I forgot to mention the obvious, that NZ has some very clever people too.
mmm
mmm
mmm
mmm

Octane
23rd Jan 2018, 07:54
TWT,

From Wiki,

"Historically, for both Woomera and Australia, following the end of the Anglo-Australian Joint Project no further development occurred to make use of the technologies, skills and knowledge gained while the Project was operating. Australia became the fourth nation in the world to build and place in orbit a satellite from its own territory (WRESAT), that was the height, and end, of Australia's foray into space activities using its own purpose built facility at Lake Hart (the Eldo site at Launch Area 6 of the Range). These launchers (there were two, and a third never completed) are now a relic of the Range's significant history of space-based activities. These two old launchers still tower over ten stories high over the inland Lake Hart dry salt lake, but are also a mute testament to Australia's once renowned position in space research and development."

It is truly depressing.. :{
What an utter waste.

tartare
23rd Jan 2018, 20:36
Didn't grow up in the west island - but having lived here for seven years now - I reckon the States, Federal, two houses aspect of Oz politics has a lot to do with it.
Any big or ambitious project immediately attracts multiple hangers-on with an opinion or vested interest which complicates things, and means extensive consultation is also necessary to keep everyone happy.
Oz seems to also think it always needs to do things the big and hard way, instead of the small agile skunk works way.
Biiig project teams, lots of bureaucracy.
NZ in contrast?
One house, no states and doesn't have the money to indulge excessive project related bureaucracy.
They do it Number eight wire way (as they say - reference to gauge of fencing wire on a farm) - i.e. the smell of an oily rag - very strong DIY ethos.
There's also a bit of a "**** you world, we might be small, but who says we can't do it" attitude.
The only real potential barriers are the tangata whenua, and the monster known as the Resource Management Act.
Once those are out of the way, the skies the limit (literally).
Theres some very surprising stuff going on in NZ.
About a decade ago - a well known public figure built and flew an autonomous diesel powered helicopter drone.
I spoke to a chap who'd seen it flying at night around parts of Auckland and had a look at the engineering involved - described it as beautiful.
All done entirely out of sight.
It went nowhere in the end - but fascinating.
Another crowd have built and flown an indigenous designed carbon fuselage, 5 seat turbine machine with a fenestron tail.
I'd love to know what the fourth package rocketlab deployed was - and whether it was kiwi designed as well.
I reckon it was defence related.

Jetex_Jim
24th Jan 2018, 09:05
This article from the FT
https://www.ft.com/content/32d3f95e-f6c1-11e7-8715-e94187b3017e

indicates that Rocket Lab Electron can launch to orbit for 5million dollars.
Maximum payload 225Kg,

tartare
24th Jan 2018, 19:44
Well there you go - the fourth object wasn't defence related - but how cool is this?!
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/rocket-lab-launched-a-secret-payload-into-space-last-weekend/

and:

http://www.thehumanitystar.com/

troppo
25th Jan 2018, 01:51
Well there you go - the fourth object wasn't defence related - but how cool is this?!
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/rocket-lab-launched-a-secret-payload-into-space-last-weekend/

and:

The Humanity Star (http://www.thehumanitystar.com/)

Disco inferno...
Astronomer Ian Griffin says Rocket Lab and Peter Beck have 'vandalised the night' with satellite - NZ Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11981960)

tartare
25th Jan 2018, 07:59
I find it interesting that a gentleman supposedly trained in the scientific method and critical thinking could mount such an asinine and utterly facetious objection to an achievement such as this.
Viewed through the same lens, surely the Mt John observatory is an obscenity defiling the pristine tussock landscape of the Mackenzie Country?
What an utter knob-end.